Thread: Evernote iPhone/iPad app

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Evernote iPhone/iPad app

Does anyone use Evernote? If so, what do you use it for? Apparently, it has a ton of useful applications when it comes to accumulating and saving stuff across platforms, and it gets a lot of good reviews. I just don't know what I'd ever use it for. Does anyone here like it enough to justify the $50 annual subscription?

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4443423]Does anyone use Evernote? If so, what do you use it for? Apparently, it has a ton of useful applications when it comes to accumulating and saving stuff across platforms, and it gets a lot of good reviews. I just don't know what I'd ever use it for. Does anyone here like it enough to justify the $50 annual subscription?[/QUOTE]
    I'm about 90 days in; it helps me during the work day to clip interesting sites that I can review on the train or at my desk at home. I use it for personal interest far more than say, shopping.

I am using the Free version; don't need the corporate one with unlimited uploads.

The Evernote Web Clipper is awesome (you have to set it up, though it is included)

It has saved me lots of time: I have it set up for "Getting Things Done" information flow
    General Inbox
    Next Actions
    Reference
    .Projects
    @Home
    @blah
    @Desk
    etc
    and I have specific reference folders.

Here's something I clipped today to jam into the Hampur; thanks for the opportunity, Chairman. :D

[url]http://blog.tastebuds.fm/worst-album-covers-of-all-time/[/url]

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Impatience and the 80/20 "Rule" allow me to scan articles for the 20% of relevance; I can select and clip it to the Inbox. No ads, no need to print anything, only the essential info is stored in "the cloud".

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4443423]Does anyone use Evernote? If so, what do you use it for? Apparently, it has a ton of useful applications when it comes to accumulating and saving stuff across platforms, and it gets a lot of good reviews. I just don't know what I'd ever use it for. Does anyone here like it enough to justify the $50 annual subscription?[/QUOTE]

It's good, but not great.

It's an app in which you can jot down notes, add photos, make reminders, and store some files. But like many apps that do too much, they're useful but not great at any one thing, jack of all trades master of none. Do not spend $50 for any subscription unless you take a ton of tiny notes to yourself and need to access them on your PC, iPad, or iPhone individually.

GoodReader and Dropbox do much of what Evernote does and are much better at their functions (offline file reading, cross-platform file storage). iOS5 has a superior Reminders app, has a good Notebook app, etc.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a droid.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4443453]Impatience and the 80/20 "Rule" allow me to scan articles for the 20% of relevance; I can select and clip it to the Inbox. No ads, no need to print anything, only the essential info is stored in "the cloud".[/QUOTE]

hmmm, it sounds like Read it Later, which has recently been rebranded as Pocket. You ever see that one?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4443458]It's good, but not great.

It's an app in which you can jot down notes, add photos, make reminders, and store some files. But like many apps that do too much, they're useful but not great at any one thing, jack of all trades master of none. Do not spend $50 for any subscription unless you take a ton of tiny notes to yourself and need to access them on your PC, iPad, or iPhone individually.

GoodReader and Dropbox do much of what Evernote does and are much better at their functions (offline file reading, cross-platform file storage). [B]iOS5 has a superior Reminders app, has a good Notebook app, etc.[/B]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I use 'em both. I also use the aforementioned Read it Later. Maybe I'll try the free version of Evernote.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4443436]I'm about 90 days in; it helps me during the work day to clip interesting sites that I can review on the train or at my desk at home. I use it for personal interest far more than say, shopping.

I am using the Free version; don't need the corporate one with unlimited uploads.

The Evernote Web Clipper is awesome (you have to set it up, though it is included)

It has saved me lots of time: I have it set up for "Getting Things Done" information flow
    General Inbox
    Next Actions
    Reference
    .Projects
    @Home
    @blah
    @Desk
    etc
    and I have specific reference folders.

Here's something I clipped today to jam into the Hampur; thanks for the opportunity, Chairman. :D

[URL]http://blog.tastebuds.fm/worst-album-covers-of-all-time/[/URL][/QUOTE]

I think I started a thread on this once, I think its buried in the archives somewhere

[IMG]http://blog.tastebuds.fm/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/worstalbumcovers04.jpeg[/IMG]

Pretty ironic that Justin Bieber was sporting the same 'do for awhile

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4443540]I think I started a thread on this once, I think its buried in the archives somewhere

[IMG]http://blog.tastebuds.fm/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/worstalbumcovers04.jpeg[/IMG]

Pretty ironic that Justin Bieber was sporting the same 'do for awhile[/QUOTE]

Nothing like seeing Ham[per images in someone's blog. :D

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4443458]It's good, but not great.

GoodReader and Dropbox do much of what Evernote does and are much better at their functions (offline file reading, cross-platform file storage). iOS5 has a superior Reminders app, has a good Notebook app, etc.

SAR I[/QUOTE]Thanks. I appreciate the heads up.

Since it's on the table, this new "Reminders" in iOS5 - what makes it remarkable? tia

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4443507]hmmm, it sounds like Read it Later, which has recently been rebranded as Pocket. You ever see that one?[/QUOTE]Really, all my tech stuff is relative to David Allen "Getting Things Done" type information flow. I don't care for bells and whistles beyond that. I am interested to hear what SAR has to say about the Productivity apps on the iOS5

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4443510]Indeed, I use 'em both. I also use the aforementioned Read it Later. Maybe I'll try the free version of Evernote.[/QUOTE]

Interesting; I'll take a look.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you with iPad's, there's a fantastic browser out there called iCab that does loads more than the stock Safari. Full screen browsing, gestures, emulation, page saves, the works. The closest thing we've got to Firefox for iPad.

Well worth the $1.99 it costs.

[url]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icab-mobile-web-browser/id308111628?mt=8[/url]

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]WestCoastOffensive Thanks. I appreciate the heads up.

Since it's on the table, this new "Reminders" in iOS5 - what makes it remarkable? tia[/B]

Reminders is cool in that it's a quick way to set up an event with a day/time to get an alarm. So unlike a calendar app like Outlook which is designed to invite others to meetings, Reminders lets you set up "Pick up dry cleaning" tomorrow at 6pm and it just reminds you of your personal to-do's.

[B]Really, all my tech stuff is relative to David Allen "Getting Things Done" type information flow. I don't care for bells and whistles beyond that. I am interested to hear what SAR has to say about the Productivity apps on the iOS5[/B]

Sometimes less-is-more and while there are sexier versions of Notepad, Clock, and Camera all those stock apps can do the things that Evernote can do. If I park my car somewhere and I want to remember, I snap a quick photo. If I need a note to myself, I use Notepad. If I need a time alert, I'll use Clock or Reminders. It's very rare that I need a combination of these things which is what Evernote does. It puts together a note with a photo, or an alert with a note and does it across devices and PC's. I just don't need that functionality.

Dropbox is a must-have paid app. For me, the only time I need synchronization of a mobile with a desktop outside the stock Apple apps is for files like Word, Excel, or PDF. So having a Dropbox folder on my PC and on my iPad and iPhone is wonderful. It's a feature that Apple lacks, great app.

Goodreader is another must-have paid app. Stores any file type natively. So I've got PDF's of owners manuals for Nikon cameras and my BMW on it. Also have 4GB of pron that's locked from prying eyes and is playable on Goodreaders' own built-in video player.

iPhoto for iPad is fantastic, great photo editing on the fly if you take vacations and want to post-up immediately to a photo sharing site or Facebook.

Don't sell iCloud short either. It does a great job of synchronizing your Bookmarks, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Notes. Forget the hype over photos- that's useless. But iCloud is completely free and lets you sync these other datapoints brilliantly. Free texting is a major win if you sign up for that feature too.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4443717]Dropbox is a must-have paid app. [/QUOTE]

+1

Use Dropbox several times a day. Have it set up on the iPhone, work computer, home PC and laptop. I also use Jumitech Remote Desktop...if I forget a file on my home PC, I can access it with my phone and drop the file in Dropbox and 20 seconds later it's available on all my computers. Pretty handy. Plus the Jumitech app lets me view the webcams at my house on my phone.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4443717][B]WestCoastOffensive Thanks. I appreciate the heads up.

Since it's on the table, this new "Reminders" in iOS5 - what makes it remarkable? tia[/B]

Reminders is cool in that it's a quick way to set up an event with a day/time to get an alarm. So unlike a calendar app like Outlook which is designed to invite others to meetings, Reminders lets you set up "Pick up dry cleaning" tomorrow at 6pm and it just reminds you of your personal to-do's.

[B]Really, all my tech stuff is relative to David Allen "Getting Things Done" type information flow. I don't care for bells and whistles beyond that. I am interested to hear what SAR has to say about the Productivity apps on the iOS5[/B]

Sometimes less-is-more and while there are sexier versions of Notepad, Clock, and Camera all those stock apps can do the things that Evernote can do. If I park my car somewhere and I want to remember, I snap a quick photo. If I need a note to myself, I use Notepad. If I need a time alert, I'll use Clock or Reminders. It's very rare that I need a combination of these things which is what Evernote does. It puts together a note with a photo, or an alert with a note and does it across devices and PC's. I just don't need that functionality.

Dropbox is a must-have paid app. For me, the only time I need synchronization of a mobile with a desktop outside the stock Apple apps is for files like Word, Excel, or PDF. So having a Dropbox folder on my PC and on my iPad and iPhone is wonderful. It's a feature that Apple lacks, great app.

Goodreader is another must-have paid app. Stores any file type natively. So I've got PDF's of owners manuals for Nikon cameras and my BMW on it. Also have 4GB of pron that's locked from prying eyes and is playable on Goodreaders' own built-in video player.

iPhoto for iPad is fantastic, great photo editing on the fly if you take vacations and want to post-up immediately to a photo sharing site or Facebook.

Don't sell iCloud short either. It does a great job of synchronizing your Bookmarks, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Notes. Forget the hype over photos- that's useless. But iCloud is completely free and lets you sync these other datapoints brilliantly. Free texting is a major win if you sign up for that feature too.

SAR I[/QUOTE]Thanks, Scott! That was great.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a MobileMe subscription before iCloud came around, and it was great. Now that they got rid of that I need something else, I guess DropBox.