Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Autistic Child Verbally abused by Teachers and Aides

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Autistic Child Verbally abused by Teachers and Aides

This story and video made me sick. Its a long watch. This parent put a recorder on his autistic son that had been acting out at school. It turns out the teachers and aides were the source of the problem. Apparently they believed that because the kids were Autistic and could not communicate things well to their parents. One teacher talks openly in front of the kids about how she was drunk the night before and puking in the morning. Another calls the 10 year old autistic child a bastard. Its nuts.

[url]http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/stuart-chaifetz-secretly-tapes-autistic-son-school-discovers-220500111.html?fb_action_ids=254080784690536&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_ref=type%3Aread%2Cuser%3AfYHFcyLQrXLGIpnbMLmSk37HnrI&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQBb7NZJNlGiUfdIp1oa0TKwG4ja4VqYfTX5PI3SnrvfMlqW4lkRBpMtaIeIEb5yCH3M5feo7CtXI3HJb7rqBYS7QYnBsrMirdj4zMxGU4pvKl7vkYuwg9v7x_fMvXmHnkHqPDQ_CQ62IzQlQwQdioxG3ZtnYO40HsTnoUYd0qcB2rRx79NyJhvuS4NXaiNTSjQ#_=_[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They will be repremanded. Nothing else!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4445747]This story and video made me sick. Its a long watch. This parent put a recorder on his autistic son that had been acting out at school. It turns out the teachers and aides were the source of the problem. Apparently they believed that because the kids were Autistic and could not communicate things well to their parents. One teacher talks openly in front of the kids about how she was drunk the night before and puking in the morning. Another calls the 10 year old autistic child a bastard. Its nuts.

[url]http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/stuart-chaifetz-secretly-tapes-autistic-son-school-discovers-220500111.html?fb_action_ids=254080784690536&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_ref=type%3Aread%2Cuser%3AfYHFcyLQrXLGIpnbMLmSk37HnrI&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQBb7NZJNlGiUfdIp1oa0TKwG4ja4VqYfTX5PI3SnrvfMlqW4lkRBpMtaIeIEb5yCH3M5feo7CtXI3HJb7rqBYS7QYnBsrMirdj4zMxGU4pvKl7vkYuwg9v7x_fMvXmHnkHqPDQ_CQ62IzQlQwQdioxG3ZtnYO40HsTnoUYd0qcB2rRx79NyJhvuS4NXaiNTSjQ#_=_[/url][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately this is very common. I won't go into details, but my daughter used to come home from school with far too many unexplained marks and bruises. My wife was able to talk me down a few times from going to the school and unleashing hell.:mad:

I know one parent in Connecticut who had a horrific experience with her child and their bus aide. There was also a recent case in the Midwest(?) wherein the child was placed in a duffel bag and left in the hallway.:eek:

It's going to get worse. Between the massive influx of these kids turning into adults coupled with the sorry state of the economy and how it affects budgets for supports, I am truly frightened for the future.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4445798]They will be repremanded. Nothing else![/QUOTE]

The big bad "Reprimand" of the public sector.:rolleyes:

I listened to these tapes, shameful..if these teachers posted on JI you would hear tales of tireless work into all hours. This I believe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4446236]The big bad "Reprimand" of the public sector.:rolleyes:

I listened to these tapes, shameful..if these teachers posted on JI you would hear tales of tireless work into all hours. This I believe.[/QUOTE]

ar·ro·gant *(r-gnt)
    adj.
    1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
    2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others: an arrogant contempt for the weak. See Synonyms at proud.
    [Middle English arrogaunt, from Old French, from Latin arrogns, arrogant-, present participle of arrogre, to arrogate; see arrogate.]
    arro·gant·ly adv.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    arrogant [ˈærəgənt]
    adj
    having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc.; conceited; overbearingly proud an arrogant teacher an arrogant assumption
    [from Latin arrogāre to claim as one's own; see arrogate]
    arrogance* n
    arrogantly* adv
    Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
    ThesaurusLegend: *Synonyms*Related Words*Antonyms
    Adj. 1. arrogant - having or showing feelings of unwarranted importance out of overbearing pride; "an arrogant official"; "arrogant claims"; "chesty as a peacock"
    self-important, chesty
    proud - feeling self-respect or pleasure in something by which you measure your self-worth; or being a reason for pride; "proud parents"; "proud of his accomplishments"; "a proud moment"; "proud to serve his country"; "a proud name"; "proud princes"
    Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2011 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
    arrogant
    adjective conceited, lordly, assuming, proud, swaggering, pompous, pretentious, stuck up (informal), cocky, contemptuous, blustering, imperious, overbearing, haughty, scornful, puffed up, egotistical, disdainful, self-important, presumptuous, high-handed, insolent, supercilious, high and mighty (informal), overweening, immodest, swollen-headed, bigheaded (informal), uppish (Brit. informal) an air of arrogant indifference
    modest, shy, humble, polite, unassuming, diffident, deferential, bashful, servile
    Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4446190]Unfortunately this is very common. I won't go into details, but my daughter used to come home from school with far too many unexplained marks and bruises. My wife was able to talk me down a few times from going to the school and unleashing hell.:mad:

I know one parent in Connecticut who had a horrific experience with her child and their bus aide. There was also a recent case in the Midwest(?) wherein the child was placed in a duffel bag and left in the hallway.:eek:

It's going to get worse. Between the massive influx of these kids turning into adults coupled with the sorry state of the economy and how it affects budgets for supports, I am truly frightened for the future.[/QUOTE]

just one more reason my wife is going to home-school next year..........these teachers have no idea how to deal with a autistic or odd child it is hard enough for the parents.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

Let Joe handle the scum.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzJTV01l98Q[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel it is my responsibility to respond to this post. Let me make it very clear that if the audio of this recording is exactly what happened (and it appears pretty clear) then it is very obvious that the adults who were in charge of these children should be removed and terminated. That was awful.

I would also like to express that in my fifteen years experience in an inner city public school that has a large population of special ed students and some who have multiple levels of autism I have not witnessed or heard of a teacher acting even close to the teachers in the audio. My point is that this is not the norm or even close to it. I have witnessed teachers have a bad "moment" and use a word that they could take back but nothing to the extent of what was heard on that audio. This is where the system obviously fails in protecting teachers like the ones in this audio.

It was very difficult to hear that from both an educator and a parents point of view. I feel extremely sad for the boy and his father.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4446236]The big bad "Reprimand" of the public sector.:rolleyes:

I listened to these tapes, shameful..if these teachers posted on JI you would hear tales of tireless work into all hours. This I believe.[/QUOTE]

Dude.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4446190]

It's going to get worse. Between the massive influx of these kids turning into adults coupled with the sorry state of the economy and how it affects budgets for supports, I am truly frightened for the future.[/QUOTE]

My daughter just completed a research study on the state of special education and the inclusive classroom. It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4446190]

No Child Left Behind lowered the standards for students to get out of special ed and into general ed classes.

Why would they do this you ask?

You see special education costs much more than general ed. You can overcrowd general ed classrooms up to 35-40 before parents get into an uproar. You cant do this in special ed. Special ed has specific laws that must be followed. Ratios of 8 students to 1 adult is strictly followed.

NCLB lower the standards drastically to "graduate" from special ed that subsequently removed students from special ed and into general ed.

This saved tons of money because schools now needed far less special ed teachers

Real sweet people the creators of NCLB are/were.

All to save money on the backs of special ed kids.
    Last edited by copernicus; 04-25-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, I would bully a kid named "Akian" too.

Anyway, it takes a certain type of person to be able to teach special ed kids. These ones clearly weren't up for the job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4446414]Dude.[/QUOTE]

Did you hear the tape...no care for these children whatsoever. NONE.

SHAME.

Who gives them this type of power.

Stand by my statement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4446515]Did you hear the tape...no care for these children whatsoever. NONE.

SHAME.

Stand by my statement.[/QUOTE]

The ONE teacher in the room should be fired and the rest of the adults (para professionals, school aides) should as well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4446262]ar·ro·gant *(r-gnt)
    adj.
    1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
    2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others: an arrogant contempt for the weak. See Synonyms at proud.
    [Middle English arrogaunt, from Old French, from Latin arrogns, arrogant-, present participle of arrogre, to arrogate; see arrogate.]
    arro·gant·ly adv.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    arrogant [ˈærəgənt]
    adj
    having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc.; conceited; overbearingly proud an arrogant teacher an arrogant assumption
    [from Latin arrogāre to claim as one's own; see arrogate]
    arrogance* n
    arrogantly* adv
    Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
    ThesaurusLegend: *Synonyms*Related Words*Antonyms
    Adj. 1. arrogant - having or showing feelings of unwarranted importance out of overbearing pride; "an arrogant official"; "arrogant claims"; "chesty as a peacock"
    self-important, chesty
    proud - feeling self-respect or pleasure in something by which you measure your self-worth; or being a reason for pride; "proud parents"; "proud of his accomplishments"; "a proud moment"; "proud to serve his country"; "a proud name"; "proud princes"
    Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2011 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
    arrogant
    adjective conceited, lordly, assuming, proud, swaggering, pompous, pretentious, stuck up (informal), cocky, contemptuous, blustering, imperious, overbearing, haughty, scornful, puffed up, egotistical, disdainful, self-important, presumptuous, high-handed, insolent, supercilious, high and mighty (informal), overweening, immodest, swollen-headed, bigheaded (informal), uppish (Brit. informal) an air of arrogant indifference
    modest, shy, humble, polite, unassuming, diffident, deferential, bashful, servile
    Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002[/QUOTE]

I think that covers it. But to be totally serious they should be fired or suspended one year with no pay.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4446538]The ONE teacher in the room should be fired and the rest of the adults (para professionals, school aides) should as well.[/QUOTE]

Well we agree...but just watch the unions back them 100 percent.

Dont these families have it tough enough already they need these "arrogant" so-called (public-union protected) educators literally shattering their hopes of some help for their children.

SHAME.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4446515]Did you hear the tape...no care for these children whatsoever. NONE.

SHAME.

Stand by my statement.[/QUOTE]

I was reacting to your statement concerning teachers on this site.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4446626]I was reacting to your statement concerning teachers on this site.[/QUOTE]

He's consistent.

Remember when that Wikileaks tape came out of the soldiers shooting the civilians?

[QUOTE=southparkcpa]Who gave them that type of power? If these soldiers posted on JI you would hear tales of tireless work into all hours and how their jobs are "stressful" and "difficult". This I believe.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4446190]Unfortunately this is very common. I won't go into details, but my daughter used to come home from school with far too many unexplained marks and bruises. [B]My wife was able to talk me down a few times from going to the school and unleashing hell.[/B]:mad:

You're a better man than I am . . . I don't think I could have been stopped.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4446538]The ONE teacher in the room should be fired and the rest of the adults (para professionals, school aides) should as well.[/QUOTE]

Your precious union is and will continue to defend those awful teachers with a passion. You wonder why people hate teachers unions? It is because they they almost always put defense of poor teachers above the defense of children. As a member of one of those unions you should be embarrassed that the organization you love and consistently defend here consistently clearly cares little for the children. Any organization that protect adults that abuse children is sickening.