Thread: Techies...need help..external HD

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Techies...need help..external HD

I have a 1TB Western Digital external hard drive that's around 2 years old. Can't begin to tell you all the important stuff on there. Anyway, all of a sudden my computer's aren't recognizing it when I put the USB cord in. Never had this problem before. It sounds like it's starting up when I put it in and makes a kind of a whiny sound then just goes silent and is not showing up on the computer. I tried it both on my laptop and desktop and tried a new usb cord today. Kinda baffled. Any advice?

I'm no techie, but I had the exact same problem with my WD external HD. It would sound like it was starting up, run for 5 seconds or so, then repeat, but never open up. Must be a design flaw or something.

Anyway, I have a new Dell desktop and a Dell laptop and it wouldn't work with either of them. Both had Windows 7 on them. Then, just out of curiosity, I tried it with an older Dell desktop I had in the basement and for some reason it worked and I was able to move the data I needed. Tghe older machine had Windows XP, but I have no idea if that made the difference or not.

Probably not much help, but try it with an older machine if you have access to one.

Not a techie, but first order of business should be to go to a computer store and give them your 1TB HD and have them back it up.

My external HD has my life on it, as I'm sure yours does...wouldn't want to risk it being destroyed, formatted, or infected by a computer that can't read it.

with any luck in is just the usb cord or even the USB port on the HD going bad. If it is actually getting power and winding up but not reading the drive could be damaged. The more you try to start it the more damage you may cause. It can be recover at like best buy but they will cost more then the HD to recover. Computers suck. Learn from mistakes and make triple BUs of everything IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hate to tell you but Western Digital and Fujistu hard drives are notoriously bad....if have to have the data you're probably looking at data recovery solution - not cheap...

[QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;4446299]I have a 1TB Western Digital external hard drive that's around 2 years old. Can't begin to tell you all the important stuff on there. Anyway, all of a sudden my computer's aren't recognizing it when I put the USB cord in. Never had this problem before. It sounds like it's starting up when I put it in and makes a kind of a whiny sound then just goes silent and is not showing up on the computer. I tried it both on my laptop and desktop and tried a new usb cord today. Kinda baffled. Any advice?[/QUOTE]

Try unplugging the computer for 10 minutes and plugging it back in.

PC's that are turned 'off' are actually still in a low power state, the motherboard still drawing minute power which can cause this issue with external drives. So reach around the back, unplug the power cord from the computer itself, wait a few minutes, plug it all back in, see what happens.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;4446299]

when I put it in and makes a kind of a whiny sound then just goes silent

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like this really jappy chick I dated a few years ago.

You should just dump her ass.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Owen Reed;4446321]I'm no techie[/QUOTE]

Really?

[QUOTE=JStokes;4446462]Sounds like this really jappy chick I dated a few years ago.

You should just dump her ass.

_[/QUOTE]

that's funny as ****

[QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;4446299]I have a 1TB Western Digital external hard drive that's around 2 years old. Can't begin to tell you all the important stuff on there. Anyway, all of a sudden my computer's aren't recognizing it when I put the USB cord in. Never had this problem before. It sounds like it's starting up when I put it in and makes a kind of a whiny sound then just goes silent and is not showing up on the computer. I tried it both on my laptop and desktop and tried a new usb cord today. Kinda baffled. Any advice?[/QUOTE]

It could be the USB enclosure First, I'd try it on another computer to rule out a problem with your computer's USB port. If it still doesn't work, then it's time to get froggy with it.

The drive is over1 year old, which means that it's out of warranty. Therefore, I'd carefully take the case apart and remove the drive from it. Pretty sure that a 2 year old 1TB WD external has a regular internal SATA drive inside of it (no proprietary connector).

If you have a desktop computer with an available SATA port and SATA power, you can plug the drive in and hopefully, your computer will see it.

Or, if you don't want to go that route, you can order a new external USB enclosure for a 3.5in SATA drive from Newegg.com for under $12.00 usually. Connect the drive to the sata and pwr ports on the enclosure, then plug in the USB cable.

Jets Insider VIP
    [B][SIZE="4"]*[/SIZE][/B]Try magnets. It's likely that one of the platters is stuck. Nothing works better on hard drives than magnets. :D:P

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4446505]It could be the USB enclosure First, I'd try it on another computer to rule out a problem with your computer's USB port. If it still doesn't work, then it's time to get froggy with it.

The drive is over1 year old, which means that it's out of warranty. Therefore, I'd carefully take the case apart and remove the drive from it. Pretty sure that a 2 year old 1TB WD external has a regular internal SATA drive inside of it (no proprietary connector).

If you have a desktop computer with an available SATA port and SATA power, you can plug the drive in and hopefully, your computer will see it.

Or, if you don't want to go that route, you can order a new external USB enclosure for a 3.5in SATA drive from Newegg.com for under $12.00 usually. Connect the drive to the sata and pwr ports on the enclosure, then plug in the USB cable.[/QUOTE]

The WD drives can be quirky, especially the MyBooks. This is probably the best advice you're going to get, Sean. My only concern is that WD does have proprietary software on their drives that may tie into the controller in the enclosure.

BTW, what OS are you using this on? Maybe try another computer with a different OS installed, but nothing earlier than XP SP3.

[B][SIZE="5"]*[/SIZE][/B][I][U]DO NOT USE MAGNETS!!![/U][/I]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4446571][B][SIZE="4"]*[/SIZE][/B]Try magnets. It's likely that one of the platters is stuck. Nothing works better on hard drives than magnets. :D:P

The WD drives can be quirky, especially the MyBooks. This is probably the best advice you're going to get, Sean. My only concern is that WD does have proprietary software on their drives that may tie into the controller in the enclosure.

BTW, what OS are you using this on? Maybe try another computer with a different OS installed, but nothing earlier than XP SP3.

[B][SIZE="5"]*[/SIZE][/B][I][U]DO NOT USE MAGNETS!!![/U][/I][/QUOTE]

This is actually good advice. Best way to hack Windows and Win devices is to use a Linux laptop.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4446505]It could be the USB enclosure First, I'd try it on another computer to rule out a problem with your computer's USB port. If it still doesn't work, then it's time to get froggy with it.

Or, if you don't want to go that route, you can order a new external USB enclosure for a 3.5in SATA drive from Newegg.com for under $12.00 usually. Connect the drive to the sata and pwr ports on the enclosure, then plug in the USB cable.[/QUOTE]

This.

Although it is a little garbled:)

External drives are basically the same drives that go in your computer, they're just housed in a little plastic box. So, assuming the drive is not damaged, its usually just a few screws to get the plastic box open - then you'll see the same kind of drive that goes in your computer. If you have an open slot for secondary drives - and most desktops do these days - you can simply slip the drive in, restart your computer, and then access the info on the drive right on your desktop.

If the drive proves unreadable - yes, you'd be looking at data recovery.

With backups - real geeks think something doesn't really exist unless its in three places. Ideally this means on your PC, on an external, and in a cloud.

Sorry if you've lost anything! It always sucks!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4446460]Try unplugging the computer for 10 minutes and plugging it back in.

PC's that are turned 'off' are actually still in a low power state, the motherboard still drawing minute power which can cause this issue with external drives. So reach around the back, unplug the power cord from the computer itself, wait a few minutes, plug it all back in, see what happens.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

You can just unplug the PC from a power source and hit the power button to discharge any power stored in the capacitors of the PSU or MB. No reason to wait 10 minutes (and I'm not even sure that would work for all situations anyway).