Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Pro Bowl

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4446647]...I have an appointment with a client at 6PM...[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCijWTlYVfO9b4yd7oqC6Z1OUt5mpFOHbgRc4WZPvg0yHzwt1RY3V4FTDo3Q[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/3326-yao-ming-scared.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    The draft wiil definitely draw a much bigger audience.

Although I'd say advertisers will lose a bigger audience than they would otherwise have if the hockey games weren't on.

In this day and age of DVR's, the negative impact of multiple programming is lessened.

That being said, I think purists would prefer an all day Saturday and Sunday draft.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4446609]When the pro bowl moved to before the super bowl, that was the beginning of the end. It needs to be after the super bowl so all players can attend.

Thursday night draft is terrible. Go back to Saturday. There was nothing like sitting around for 12 straight hours on Saturday and watching Mel and the boys.[/QUOTE]

Thursday Night draft is great. It gets higher ratings than the draft did on Saturday, so more people prefer it Thursday nights. It also allows those of us who are Sabbath observers to watch the first round. You can still have your Saturday draft watching time for the last four rounds.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4446655][IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCijWTlYVfO9b4yd7oqC6Z1OUt5mpFOHbgRc4WZPvg0yHzwt1RY3V4FTDo3Q[/IMG]

[/QUOTE]
    If only I had legs like that.

[QUOTE=ASH_1962;4446606]They just announced on M&M that Roger Baddell is going to cancel the pro bowl forever. Good move I think, that game was watched by nobody and was only an invitation to Hawaii to get injured. Nobody cares.

Oh and bad job again by the NFL putting the first round of the draft on a Thursday night. They will lose a lot of audience in the NY area tonight because there are 2 NHL playoff game 7's tonight involving 2 % 3 NY local teams, one at MSG and one in FL. I used to love the draft on Saturday early afternoon and through the day. It was an all day football oasis party in the middle of baseball season. Oh well...I guess that is what DVR is for because I am watching the Ranger game, and will peak in on the Devil game.[/QUOTE]

Good riddance to the Pro Bowl!!!

As for the draft being tonight...

1) The NFL had no way of forseeing this and the draft was scheduled a while ago
    2) The majority of people don't care about hockey
    3) NY is not the only market in the country

They also care much more about who shows up, buys merchandise etc then the spattering of Rangers and Devils fans who will be watching their games.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Getting rid of the Pro Bowl is addition by subtraction. Nobody cared about the games and, until very recently, the season was over when it was played, so even more of a yawn.

As to tonight, I'll be watching Rangers first and then switching to the Draft during t.v. timeouts and between periods. If this were a Game 1 or 2 I'd give the draft more attention, but it's the season on the line for the Rangers, so I'm not missing it.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=McGinley;4446627]I hardly doubt a draft will bring in better ratings than two game 7 stanley cup playoff games. Have you ever even seen playoff hockey? Yea, gtfo.[/QUOTE]

The draft will absolutely slaughter both hockey games in the ratings.

All League
    they didn't technically, officially announce the end of the pro bowl. they were talking to Gruden(?), and he was asked who in this draft will make the pro bowl. He said nobody, b/c there won't be one. M&M said they talked to Goodell months ago, and he said he was embarrassed by the game's play.

I agree there won't be a pro bowl, but...just to nit pick, i guess.

All League
    Good. The Pro Bowl is terrible but hopefully they bring back the Skills Competition so we can see guys like Joey Harrington thrown INTs to cardboard cutouts.

Also, the draft is going to destroy the NHL playoffs in ratings. It's not even debatable. iPad works wonders for watching both though.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Austin;4446670]The draft will absolutely slaughter both hockey games in the ratings.[/QUOTE]
    The only chance the Rangers game has of evening up the ratings is if Duguay, Esposito, Hedberg and Dave Maloney announced that they were doing a reunion and revising their Sassoon jeans commercial in between periods.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4446678]The only chance the Rangers game has of evening up the ratings is if Duguay, Esposito, Hedberg and Dave Maloney announced that they were doing a reunion and revising their Sassoon jeans commercial in between periods.[/QUOTE]

LOL.

And for the record McGinley, nobody is hating on hockey or saying that a game 7 isn't more exciting than the draft -- just that the draft has broader appeal across the nation and will easily get far bigger ratings.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ASH_1962;4446606]They just announced on M&M that Roger Baddell is going to cancel the pro bowl forever. Good move I think, that game was watched by nobody and was only an invitation to Hawaii to get injured. Nobody cares.

Oh and bad job again by the NFL putting the first round of the draft on a Thursday night. They will lose a lot of audience in the NY area tonight because there are 2 NHL playoff game 7's tonight involving 2 % 3 NY local teams, one at MSG and one in FL. I used to love the draft on Saturday early afternoon and through the day. It was an all day football oasis party in the middle of baseball season. Oh well...I guess that is what DVR is for because I am watching the Ranger game, and will peak in on the Devil game.[/QUOTE]

Prime Time, Prime Time, Prime Time......Its what the NFL is all about. Higher advertising rates in prime time. That is all they care about.

[QUOTE=McGinley;4446643]You're undermining what we're talking about. Playoff Hockey > NFL Draft.[/QUOTE]

The 2010 NFL Draft (discount 2011 because of the lockout issues) drew an average of 8.3M viewers for its Thursday Night coverage.

The highest rated non-stanley cup game in NHL history was the recent game 6 between Boston and Washington, which pulled a 2.5 rating. Based on Nielsen's estimate of 114M TV households, that's 2.87M viewers.

In other words, both the Rangers and Devils games could be the highest rated non-Stanley cup games in NHL history by 20%, pull a 3.0 rating, and, [B]combined[/B], they would still fall about 1.5M viewers short of the NFL Draft's 2010 numbers.

TL;DR version: You're so wrong that wrong people mock you for being wrong.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sg3;4446623]Wont be that much a prob for me. Setting the DVR for NFLN at 8. Ranger game starts at 7...should be able to watch it live and hopefully when its over and the Blueshirts have advanced by 9:30, pick #16 will still be unmade...

Devils???? Not sure their 4000 total fans will impact anything much at all

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Hey guess what? You don't have to be douchy 24/7......

[QUOTE=McGinley;4446627]I hardly doubt a draft will bring in better ratings than two game 7 stanley cup playoff games. Have you ever even seen playoff hockey? Yea, gtfo.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. There are WAY more sports fans interested in the NFL draft than NHL hockey. They expect over 50 million people to watch the draft.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4446660]If only I had legs like that.[/QUOTE]

What a friggn' homo.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4446609]
    Thursday night draft is terrible. Go back to Saturday. There was nothing like sitting around for 12 straight hours on Saturday and watching Mel and the boys.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, I used to be all amped up for the draft, familiarized myself with as many players as possible, now I just don't have the same enthusiasm for the draft or learning about draftees. It's just another cash grab from the greediest league in sports.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4446688]The 2010 NFL Draft (discount 2011 because of the lockout issues) drew an average of 8.3M viewers for its Thursday Night coverage.

The highest rated non-stanley cup game in NHL history was the recent game 6 between Boston and Washington, which pulled a 2.5 rating. Based on Nielsen's estimate of 114M TV households, that's 2.87M viewers.

In other words, both the Rangers and Devils games could be the highest rated non-Stanley cup games in NHL history by 20%, pull a 3.0 rating, and, [B]combined[/B], they would still fall about 1.5M viewers short of the NFL Draft's 2010 numbers.

TL;DR version: You're so wrong that wrong people mock you for being wrong.[/QUOTE]

facts...love them. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4446748]I agree with this, I used to be all amped up for the draft, familiarized myself with as many players as possible, now I just don't have the same enthusiasm for the draft or learning about draftees. [B]It's just another cash grab from the greediest league in sports[/B].[/QUOTE]

Every league is as greedy as the next. The NFL is no more greedy than baseball, basketball or hockey. Its just that the NFL, due to its enormous popularity, CAN cash in on almost everything they do. What other sport can market its schedule release into an event....LOL.?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The void created in my life by the loss of the Pro Bowl should be easily filled by repeats of Storage Wars or a 30 minute infomercial about feminine itching.