Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone knowledgeable about personal training?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone knowledgeable about personal training?

My soon-to-be 13 year old son is becoming real focused on working out...both cardio and weight training....I think he's too young for some of the weight training stuff but have heard conflicting info.

Any of you mongos know about this stuff? Healthy advice would be appreciated.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4446985]My soon-to-be 13 year old son is becoming real focused on working out...both cardio and weight training....I think he's too young for some of the weight training stuff but have heard conflicting info.

Any of you mongos know about this stuff? Healthy advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

He can do weight training but he shouldn't do heavy lifting. In my opinion, the best thing a young athlete can do is focus on cardio. Every sport requires cardio / conditioning and if he can be in incredible shape, he will have a great advantage when he gets older and starts putting on some muscle.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The straight dope around here is exercise will kill ya.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weightlifting is fine at 13. Just focus on form so he doesnt injure himself. and have him go light for awhile.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NPTJET53;4446992]He can do weight training but he shouldn't do heavy lifting. In my opinion, the best thing a young athlete can do is focus on cardio. Every sport requires cardio / conditioning and if he can be in incredible shape, he will have a great advantage when he gets older and starts putting on some muscle.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I'm telling him, but he is enamored with "putting on muscle." I won't let him do heavy weight/low rep stuff, I only let him work with easy weights/lots of reps for tone.

He's running a mile every night (7:15 pace) and doing a ton of shuttle runs/sit-ups/pushups to prepare for his Sea Cadets PT test. Wants to achieve "Presidential" ranking in each event, but some of those numbers are insane

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    GMC says to get one of these:

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Shake_Weight.jpg/285px-Shake_Weight.jpg[/IMG]

He says it works great. Just ask SAR.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry, it's just a phase.

Within a few months, he'll discover beer and pot and put all this silly fitness stuff behind him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4447002]That's pretty much what I'm telling him, but he is enamored with "putting on muscle." I won't let him do heavy weight/low rep stuff, I only let him work with easy weights/lots of reps for tone.

He's running a mile every night (7:15 pace) and doing a ton of shuttle runs/sit-ups/pushups to prepare for his Sea Cadets PT test. Wants to achieve "Presidential" ranking in each event, but some of those numbers are insane[/QUOTE]

He can still build size with low weight high reps. Get him doing a ton of pull ups.. Also, working out your legs helps increase your overall body mass, which increases the amount of testosterone you produce, which will then allow him to gain more size on his upper body.(In other words, legs are important to work out too)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4447009]Don't worry, it's just a phase.

Within a few months, he'll discover beer and pot and put all this silly fitness stuff behind him.[/QUOTE]

LOL, not a phase -- not this kid. This boy's committed to going to Annapolis, and hoping to make their LAX team...everything he's done since he's been 7 years old has been working toward that goal. I don't know where he gets it...I keep comparing his facial features to mine and eyeing my wife suspiciously.

Now my older son? I fear I'll be scoring booze and spliff out of that kid's room in the very near future.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NPTJET53;4447012]He can still build size with low weight high reps. Get him doing a ton of pull ups.. Also, working out your legs helps increase your overall body mass, which increases the amount of testosterone you produce, which will then allow him to gain more size on his upper body.(In other words, legs are important to work out too)[/QUOTE]

This is actually great advice for the over 40 guys as well. Tons of push ups and sit ups are great as well

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    he should not be lifting weights unless he has hair on his nuts...

let him run all he wants, otherwise pushups and situps should be ok for now

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4447022]he should not be lifting weights unless he has hair on his nuts...

let him run all he wants, otherwise pushups and situps should be ok for now[/QUOTE]

That's an awkward discussion.

"So, young shakin, do you...errr...have any...you know...[make some hand motions]...down there...you know..."

:O

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "So, young stokes, do you...errr...have any...you know...[make some hand motions]...[B][I]down there[/I][/B]...you know..."

"You mean on my head?" :dunno:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4447057]That's an awkward discussion.

"So, young shakin, do you...errr...have any...you know...[make some hand motions]...down there...you know..."

:O

_[/QUOTE]

absolutely...easier to tell if his voice changed or you catch him watching the scrammbled playboy channel :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lift lightly. Tons of Cardio. Sprints/Hill sprints and High Intensity Cardio (if you could burn the P90X cardio Dvd that would be ideal) would be good for him. Add distance running too for endurance. Just keep him away from heavy lifting (deadlifts, squats etc) for a few years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Light weight reps and continually practicing LAX so his body and game adjust with his gained strength. Cross training with bike and swim helps and won't burn him out with doing the same stuff day after day.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4447002]That's pretty much what I'm telling him, [B]but he is enamored with "putting on muscle."[/B] I won't let him do heavy weight/low rep stuff, I only let him work with easy weights/lots of reps for tone.

He's running a mile every night (7:15 pace) and doing a ton of shuttle runs/sit-ups/pushups to prepare for his Sea Cadets PT test. Wants to achieve "Presidential" ranking in each event, but some of those numbers are insane[/QUOTE]

Just remind him that when he steals the kid's lunch, give it a strong sniff before drinking/eating it. It would be the height of ironing if your older sopne's shenanigans came home to roost.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pullups, Pushups, Crunches, Leg Throws.

When he hits puberty around 14-15 then he can start lifting the weights. Feed him lots of milk, high protein diet, he'll bulk up quick.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a lax specific tip, take an old stick (handle and head) fill the stick with sand and let him throw against the wall and practice his stick handling with the weighted stick. It will strengthen his wrists and forearms.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4447075]...watching the scrammbled playboy channel :D[/QUOTE]

OK, gramps...

:shakesiPhone4SawithRedTubeopeninSafari: