Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We Are Finished

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Coples more than Jones!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Refuel;4448225]Tanny isn't what's wrong with the Jets. Rex isn't, either.

It's fans like these who cry that the season's over halfway through the first round of the draft.

I'm sick of the whining and the moaning and the doom and gloom. So the guy YOU wanted didn't get drafted -- DEAL WITH IT and move on. The Jets needed a pass rusher, Quinton Coples was one of the top pass rushing prospects, and I'll pick Rex Ryan's opinion over yours (or anybody else's in the NFL) when it comes to defensive players.

Given that the Jets had their pick of the litter more or less, obviously they think Coples can be more productive as a Jet than Ingram or Jones or anybody else. You want to complain, you want to disagree, fine. But enough with the absurd conspiracy theories about the Jets making stupid decisions because of "hubris." Everyone can agree that they needed to go pass rusher in the first round -- how about giving your delusions of grandeur a rest and leaving the football decisions to the guys who study this stuff day in and day out?[/QUOTE]

Genius--its the fans who make these decisions--who have no idea what is going on in their locker room? Its the fans who anoint Sanchez as a great QB when in fact, anyone who knows anything could see he was indecisive, inaccurate and had a horrible throwing motion? Its the fans who put a bulls eyes on their players backs? Its the fans who bring in Tebow to sell some more jerseys? It was the fans who picked Ducasse and Wilson? Its the fans who run the three ring circus that the Jets have become under Ryan and Tannenbaum?

Give us a break. We will be here long after the Mouth and Tannenbaum leave.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

north carolina studs

why are jet fans complaining about the copies pick.checkout defensive ends from north carolina.they have had some very talented defensive ends. I like the pick.it seems like ingram and upshaw were not so much in demand by other teams. I am sure that rex had a lot to do with this pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets rooter;4448259]why are jet fans complaining about the copies pick.checkout defensive ends from north carolina.they have had some very talented defensive ends. I like the pick.it seems like ingram and upshaw were not so much in demand by other teams. I am sure that rex had a lot to do with this pick.[/QUOTE]

Actually thats brilliant. It follows that since some NC ends have made it in the NFL that Couples will. Makes sense. Its a law of nature

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    obviously we'll see how coples turns out. imo the muscle bound guys are problematical but he has the size and strength to play the dline and maybe olb. it all starts up front and the jets have totally revamped their dline over the past 2 seasons. i guess trevor pryce won't be getting a call afterall.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are idiots. I'm a Carolina grad, and watched most of Coples games. He will be Rex's DeMarcus Ware. He will be playing OLB not DE. He is not lazy. Football situation at Carolina was crazy this year. Butch Davis, got fired 1 week before fall practice in a surprise move, by the Chancellor and assistant coaches took over at the last minute. Whole team was in disarray and hurt because they all believed in Davis. Assistant coaches knew they were dead men walking too and checked out, started looking for jobs mid-season. The previous season with Butch, in the midst of suspensions by the NCAA during ongoing investigations to Marvin Austin (high pick Giants), Robert Quinn (1st Rd pick Rams), Greg Little (Browns rookie) Coples stepped up and dominated on a shorthanded D. Kid is a baller. He is not lazy!! Was just a victim of a bad situation as were all the players. Coples will be a beast for the Jets, don't believe all this negative hype.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=teddyld;4448277]You guys are idiots. I'm a Carolina grad, and watched most of Coples games. He will be Rex's DeMarcus Ware. He will be playing OLB not DE. He is not lazy. Football situation at Carolina was crazy this year. Butch Davis, got fired 1 week before fall practice in a surprise move, by the Chancellor and assistant coaches took over at the last minute. Whole team was in disarray and hurt because they all believed in Davis. Assistant coaches knew they were dead men walking too and checked out, started looking for jobs mid-season. The previous season with Butch, in the midst of suspensions by the NCAA during ongoing investigations to Marvin Austin (high pick Giants), Robert Quinn (1st Rd pick Rams), Greg Little (Browns rookie) Coples stepped up and dominated on a shorthanded D. Kid is a baller. He is not lazy!! Was just a victim of a bad situation as were all the players. Coples will be a beast for the Jets, don't believe all this negative hype.[/QUOTE]

OH, I get it---its all about him being in the middle of coaching changes--Thanks for clearing that up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=teddyld;4448277]You guys are idiots. I'm a Carolina grad, and watched most of Coples games. He will be Rex's DeMarcus Ware. He will be playing OLB not DE. He is not lazy. Football situation at Carolina was crazy this year. Butch Davis, got fired 1 week before fall practice in a surprise move, by the Chancellor and assistant coaches took over at the last minute. Whole team was in disarray and hurt because they all believed in Davis. Assistant coaches knew they were dead men walking too and checked out, started looking for jobs mid-season. The previous season with Butch, in the midst of suspensions by the NCAA during ongoing investigations to Marvin Austin (high pick Giants), Robert Quinn (1st Rd pick Rams), Greg Little (Browns rookie) Coples stepped up and dominated on a shorthanded D. Kid is a baller. He is not lazy!! Was just a victim of a bad situation as were all the players. Coples will be a beast for the Jets, don't believe all this negative hype.[/QUOTE]

Nice to hear ! Thanks for the post!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are right because the Jets need to be right about this kid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4448110]he's being a chicken little.

but to take coples over ingram there is horrid...i'm sorry...

hope im wrong and coples turns out to be a beast...but idk[/QUOTE]

Maybe Rex wanted a player that was ready to play this year, instead of a fun size player that would have to learn a new position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4448191]not happy with this pick. Do we really need another player who is talented but works hard only when he wants to? Someone who is a physical talent but can be a malcontent?

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. That sums up my 2012 Jets offseason.[/QUOTE]

I actually love this pick. He is a 6'6' 285 lb defensive end who can rush the QB. This is a prototypical NY Giant pick.

I love it!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope he becomes our Julius Peppers or Ware. Hell I would sign right now for 8-10 sacks, I don't need 20.

We need someone that can put fear in the other team's OL. Hopefully he will help Maybin and vice versa.

Now lets go get a friggin Tackle.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex and Tanny have screwed themselves. Bad pick.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4448258]Genius--its the fans who make these decisions--who have no idea what is going on in their locker room? Its the fans who anoint Sanchez as a great QB when in fact, anyone who knows anything could see he was indecisive, inaccurate and had a horrible throwing motion? Its the fans who put a bulls eyes on their players backs? Its the fans who bring in Tebow to sell some more jerseys? It was the fans who picked Ducasse and Wilson? Its the fans who run the three ring circus that the Jets have become under Ryan and Tannenbaum?

Give us a break. We will be here long after the Mouth and Tannenbaum leave.[/QUOTE]

Here are facts: you don't know any more than anybody else. You don't. You don't have a crystal ball, you can't see the future, and as far as you know, Quinton Coples can be the next Julius Peppers.

But that doesn't stop you from proclaiming the pick a bust, the season a disaster, and the current regime a lame duck. That's beyond pessimistic. That's absurd. The doom and gloom needs to stop.

The fact is the Jets needed to draft a pass rusher in the first round, and with their pick of the litter (almost) they chose Coples. I'd be up in arms if they went and picked a player at a position that they didn't really need, but they didn't. And I guess it's stupid to trust a defensive mastermind to make the right choice, but when the other option is treating message board fodder as gospel, it doesn't seem stupid to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Refuel;4448429]Here are facts: you don't know any more than anybody else. You don't. You don't have a crystal ball, you can't see the future, and as far as you know, Quinton Coples can be the next Julius Peppers.

But that doesn't stop you from proclaiming the pick a bust, the season a disaster, and the current regime a lame duck. That's beyond pessimistic. That's absurd. The doom and gloom needs to stop.

The fact is the Jets needed to draft a pass rusher in the first round, and with their pick of the litter (almost) they chose Coples. I'd be up in arms if they went and picked a player at a position that they didn't really need, but they didn't. And I guess it's stupid to trust a defensive mastermind to make the right choice, but when the other option is treating message board fodder as gospel, it doesn't seem stupid to me.[/QUOTE]

Actually, what the Jets needed to do is give the doe some protection---an offensive lineman, or at worse a receiver. I see no difference in the offense the Jets will put on the field next season---and trust me, this is now an offense driven league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4448089]This pick is horrible and really indicates how incompetent this regime is. I am convinced that we will go into re-building mode in two years--thats how long I give Bean Counter and the Mouth. Suffer on my friends---Our pain will continue.[/QUOTE]

SI draft expert Tony Pauline defends Quinton Coples against his critics
    by Brian Biggane
    If North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples is not among the top 10 players selected at next week’s NFL Draft, it will be because of the perception that he doesn’t have the drive to become a star. And that, in the opinion of Sports Illustrated draft expert Tony Pauline, will be unfair.

“You’ve got to look at the entire surroundings of that North Carolina situation before you can say that,” Pauline said.

The Dolphins are undoubtedly looking at that and everything else about Coples as they consider what to do with their No. 8 overall pick. The 6-foot-6, 285-pounder has been compared to fellow UNC product Julius Peppers in terms of potential and scouts agree that, if motivated, his upside could approach that of the Chicago Bears’ perennial All-Pro. But it all goes back to the “want to,” and the perception is Coples, who was ranked on some boards a year ago as high as second overall behind Andrew Luck, is lacking in that category.
    “Ther’s no doubt about it, he took 80 percent of senior year off,” Pauline said, repeating the most prominent concern so many other talent evaluators have had about Coples. “But you’ve got to look at the entire surrounding.”

“That whole North Carolina program was thrown into a bad situation before the season ever started. They fired their coach (Butch Davis), which they should have done earlier, and they had an investigation hovering over the program all season. There was a lot going on in that program that could have been demotivating forces for a 21-year-old kid.

“And it wasn’t just Coples himself. Zach Brown, the linebacker, fell from potentially a top-15 pick to where he’s now projected to go in the second or even third round. Dwight Jones, the wide receiver, was viewed as a third-rounder, and now he’ll go in the third day, maybe as late as the seventh round.

“So it’s very easy to point a finger at one guy. You’ve got to look at the entire situation.”

Coples was put on the defensive by the media at February’s NFL Combine, asked repeatedly about not playing up to his potential in his senior season. He pointed out that he changed positions _ Pauline said the move to right defensive end from tackle actually should have been to his benefit _ and insisted he didn’t take plays off.

Asked about that, he replied, “I can see where it can look like that on film but overall, I definitely felt like I did a good job and did the right thing and just did the little sacrifices for my team, to help my team out. And that’s what was important to me at the time.”

If Miami decides its greatest need is for a defensive end/pass rusher and feels Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill isn’t the answer, its decision probably will come down to either Coples or South Carolina’s Melvin Ingram. And perhaps the biggest factor in that decision is what General Manager Jeff Ireland has determined is going on inside Coples’ head.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4448460]Actually, what the Jets needed to do is give the doe some protection---an offensive lineman, or at worse a receiver. I see no difference in the offense the Jets will put on the field next season---and trust me, this is now an offense driven league.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I can understand that view, even if I disagree. I would've, however, been pretty happy had Michael Floyd fallen to us.

But we've been missing a premiere pass rusher for far too long. Hopefully, Coples can be that guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4448500]SI draft expert Tony Pauline defends Quinton Coples against his critics
    by Brian Biggane
    If North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples is not among the top 10 players selected at next week’s NFL Draft, it will be because of the perception that he doesn’t have the drive to become a star. And that, in the opinion of Sports Illustrated draft expert Tony Pauline, will be unfair.

“You’ve got to look at the entire surroundings of that North Carolina situation before you can say that,” Pauline said.

The Dolphins are undoubtedly looking at that and everything else about Coples as they consider what to do with their No. 8 overall pick. The 6-foot-6, 285-pounder has been compared to fellow UNC product Julius Peppers in terms of potential and scouts agree that, if motivated, his upside could approach that of the Chicago Bears’ perennial All-Pro. But it all goes back to the “want to,” and the perception is Coples, who was ranked on some boards a year ago as high as second overall behind Andrew Luck, is lacking in that category.
    “Ther’s no doubt about it, he took 80 percent of senior year off,” Pauline said, repeating the most prominent concern so many other talent evaluators have had about Coples. “But you’ve got to look at the entire surrounding.”

“That whole North Carolina program was thrown into a bad situation before the season ever started. They fired their coach (Butch Davis), which they should have done earlier, and they had an investigation hovering over the program all season. There was a lot going on in that program that could have been demotivating forces for a 21-year-old kid.

“And it wasn’t just Coples himself. Zach Brown, the linebacker, fell from potentially a top-15 pick to where he’s now projected to go in the second or even third round. Dwight Jones, the wide receiver, was viewed as a third-rounder, and now he’ll go in the third day, maybe as late as the seventh round.

“So it’s very easy to point a finger at one guy. You’ve got to look at the entire situation.”

Coples was put on the defensive by the media at February’s NFL Combine, asked repeatedly about not playing up to his potential in his senior season. He pointed out that he changed positions _ Pauline said the move to right defensive end from tackle actually should have been to his benefit _ and insisted he didn’t take plays off.

Asked about that, he replied, “I can see where it can look like that on film but overall, I definitely felt like I did a good job and did the right thing and just did the little sacrifices for my team, to help my team out. And that’s what was important to me at the time.”

If Miami decides its greatest need is for a defensive end/pass rusher and feels Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill isn’t the answer, its decision probably will come down to either Coples or South Carolina’s Melvin Ingram. And perhaps the biggest factor in that decision is what General Manager Jeff Ireland has determined is going on inside Coples’ head.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, he took 80% of in his senior year, the year that he had to prove to the Pros that he should be a top draft pick. Thats scary and tells me that this might be a head case. I don't give a damn about the circumstances at NC----if he is a top notch player, he would have played through it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Refuel;4448538]Ok, I can understand that view, even if I disagree. I would've, however, been pretty happy had Michael Floyd fallen to us.

But we've been missing a premiere pass rusher for far too long. Hopefully, Coples can be that guy.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the Jets have done little to nothing to fix the problems on offense. As Rex likes to tout the defense (5th Best in the NFL last year), why would he do nothing to improve the offense with his first round pick? Perhaps he is so delusional that he thinks that if the defense gets to number 2, it will somehow cover up the glaring problems on offense. I suspect that this is his answer to the "greatness" of his QB Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Refuel;4448225]Tanny isn't what's wrong with the Jets. Rex isn't, either.

It's fans like these who cry that the season's over halfway through the first round of the draft.

I'm sick of the whining and the moaning and the doom and gloom. So the guy YOU wanted didn't get drafted -- DEAL WITH IT and move on. The Jets needed a pass rusher, Quinton Coples was one of the top pass rushing prospects, and I'll pick Rex Ryan's opinion over yours (or anybody else's in the NFL) when it comes to defensive players.

Given that the Jets had their pick of the litter more or less, obviously they think Coples can be more productive as a Jet than Ingram or Jones or anybody else. You want to complain, you want to disagree, fine. But enough with the absurd conspiracy theories about the Jets making stupid decisions because of "hubris." Everyone can agree that they needed to go pass rusher in the first round -- how about giving your delusions of grandeur a rest and leaving the football decisions to the guys who study this stuff day in and day out?[/QUOTE]

So true, they have had so much success since Rex got here.:eek: