Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers(1) vs. Washington Capitals(7): Eastern Conference Semi-Finals

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah guys. 25 next month. Hopefully in a month, I'll try and organize a meeting at a parade down broadway

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I was 33.......crap you guys make me OLD.

One ofnthe greatest moments in my sports life. NY was electric.
    Yep, 1994 was an incredible sports summer. The Rangers Stanley Cup run was storybook, ending the "19-40" drought, the Captain's guarantee, and "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!"

After that you had the feeling that magic was in the city and not only were the Knicks going to win a championship a few weeks after but the Yanks were going to win a championship for the first time since 1978.

But then John Starks went icecold in game 7 and the baseball strike ended the season. You felt robbed of something that you had never experienced, but at least we'd always have the Rangers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was 6 but I know the significance of it....what a win today....Lundy gets a goal against him on his record, but he was finally himself again...

LGR

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Yep, 1994 was an incredible sports summer. The Rangers Stanley Cup run was storybook, ending the "19-40" drought, the Captain's guarantee, and "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!"

After that you had the feeling that magic was in the city and not only were the Knicks going to win a championship a few weeks after but the Yanks were going to win a championship for the first time since 1978.

But then John Starks went icecold in game 7 and the baseball strike ended the season. You felt robbed of something that you had never experienced, but at least we'd always have the Rangers.
    I was working in the Citicorp center and took the train to MSG everyday. The entire 33rd street area was blocked off from all the media. Every night was a playoff game at the garden. Yeah..the Knicks were up 3-2 alos.

The Howie Rose Matteau cheer was special. That was the OT goal against the devils in game 7.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1994 was great for NY. I remember riding the bus to school and a lot of kids in my neighborhood were Devils fans. They would chant "19-40" the whole ride to school. We would get into fights on the bus. One kid ripped my Messier jersey. I still have the jersey. Good times.

A shame the Knicks couldn't finish the deal.

It was also the birth of the Yankee Dynasty for us Yankee fans. In 94 the Yanks were playing well. And we all know what happened coming out of the strike. The Yanks, McGuire and Sosa saved baseball. And steroids, LOL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I am about the same age as you, but I am a Jets-Mets-Islanders guy. I have had nothing but a couple of close calls since '86. Good luck to those of you who have a dog in this fight, I will just be hoping for a close well-played 7 game series.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    1994 was great for NY. I remember riding the bus to school and a lot of kids in my neighborhood were Devils fans. They would chant "19-40" the whole ride to school. We would get into fights on the bus. One kid ripped my Messier jersey. I still have the jersey. Good times.

A shame the Knicks couldn't finish the deal.

It was also the birth of the Yankee Dynasty for us Yankee fans. In 94 the Yanks were playing well. And we all know what happened coming out of the strike. The Yanks, McGuire and Sosa saved baseball. And steroids, LOL.
    The whole 1940 chant was actually started by the "A-Hole" Islander fans.

It was embarrassing to watch the Islanders win the cup from 80 to 84....

I LOVED when Denis Potvin of the Islanders stepped on the ice and the entire garden sang a chant to the organist....Beat your wife Potvin, Beat your wife".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED when Denis Potvin of the Islanders stepped on the ice and the entire garden sang a chant to the organist....Beat your wife Potvin, Beat your wife".
    You are bringing back memories of the good old days. I was one of those A-hole Islander fans -- had season tickets back in the early 80s. For the record, they won from 80-83 - lost to Gretzky's Oilers in the finals in 84.

The Islanders are completely irrelevant now. As a fan, I would much rather be hated than irrelevant.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I know. Luckily I wasn't around for the Islanders championships.

I went to elementary school with a lot of Devils and Islanders fans. They both used to chant it at the kids that were Ranger fans. Looking back, the funny thing is that the Devils hadn't won shi*t at that point in time (of course they would go on to win 3).

The Islander are a phucking mess. Feel bad b.c it was once a proud organization. I grew up 15 minutes away from the Coliseum. What a dump.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    You are bringing back memories of the good old days. I was one of those A-hole Islander fans -- had season tickets back in the early 80s. For the record, they won from 80-83 - lost to Gretzky's Oilers in the finals in 84.

The Islanders are completely irrelevant now. As a fan, I would much rather be hated than irrelevant.
    Agreed...I have fond memories also.

My daughter moved to DC after college and was rooting for the Caps. So I posted this on her FB page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN6S2X6Irpw
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 05-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed...I have fond memories also.

My daughter moved to DC after college and was rooting for the Caps. So I posted this on her FB page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN6S2X6Irpw
    LOL

Unfortunately, I always seem to be on the wrong side of things in my family. My wife is a Giants-Rangers fan. My son shares my passion for the Jets, but growing up in Chicago, he has become a Blackhawks fan.

So, in almost 25 years of marriage, my wife has seen the Giants win 3 SBs, and the Rangers have one Stanley Cup and my son has seen his Blackhawks win a cup.

And I have had nothing but 3 AFCCG losses, a World Series loss, an NLCS loss and a Conference finals loss.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to taste Kathryn Tappen.
    I think everyone's been Tappen that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

It literally brought me to tears.

And it was one of my friends and his twin brother who created and held up the sign at the Garden, "Now I Can Die In Peace." Great slogan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I think everyone's been Tappen that.
    She is yummy. Understated. She does nothing to help herself. Hair and makeup are very plain.

Great rack, but she keeps it hidden.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

And also the lockout in the NHL occured and we had to wait to welcome back the team to the Garden for the Cup celebration and raising the banner.

By the way, I went out and ordered my NY State Stanley Cup license plates with "40WHAT." Could only use 6 characters. Still have them.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Back then, I lived on the Island. We couldn't get cable because we lived outside of town and the cable company hadn't laid cable there yet, so my dad and I had to go to a local bar and watch the Islanders/Rangers series with ALL Islander fans. We had to sit there and grit our teeth when the Islanders scored and hold in our excitement when the Rangers scored. Otherwise, a fight would have broke out. It sucked having to sit there and watch the Rangers lose. Back then, many Islander fans knew very little about hockey. The ones that did were former Rangers fans.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    She is yummy. Understated. She does nothing to help herself. Hair and makeup are very plain.

Great rack, but she keeps it hidden.
    And her husband plays in the Devils organization I believe so I expect we might hear some biased remarks from her in the next couple of weeks?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And her husband plays in the Devils organization I believe so I expect we might hear some biased remarks from her in the next couple of weeks?
    I know. But it doesn't say much about him if she didn't take his name. Even the blonde from NFL Network changed her name when she got married.

She doesn't do much analysis. She is the studio host.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I went out and ordered my NY State Stanley Cup license plates with "40WHAT." Could only use 6 characters. Still have them.
    That summer...saw a plate on LI that said, "NOMO40". I literally sped to catch up with him and tell him I loved the plates.

Many will remember...that was the SAME week as OJ's white Bronco chase.

Islander fans are the worst..... front runners. Once the soup got hot, the coliseum was a ghost town.
    Back then, I lived on the Island. We couldn't get cable because we lived outside of town and the cable company hadn't laid cable there yet, so my dad and I had to go to a local bar and watch the Islanders/Rangers series with ALL Islander fans. We had to sit there and grit our teeth when the Islanders scored and hold in our excitement when the Rangers scored. Otherwise, a fight would have broke out. It sucked having to sit there and watch the Rangers lose. Back then, many Islander fans knew very little about hockey. The ones that did were former Rangers fans.
    Me too...I got Ranger games from MSG but nothing from the Coliseum. Would find the few Ranger fans and hang with them while the 1940 chant started in the bar. I literally remember being depressed when Ken Morrow beat Glen Hanlon on an OT goal, 84 I believe.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 05-13-2012 at 01:23 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As would be expected the Garden was electric last night. Amazing atmosphere, they did a great job of riling up the fans even more with video packages and Ron Dugay (lol).

Place blew up after the first goal and everyone was way into it with the let's go Rangers chants but there was a lot of tension in the building the entire time the rangers were up by only 1 (the whole game pretty much).

Henrik played a great game and made some phenomenal saves when the Rangers were protecting that 1-0 lead.

Crowd was generally great -- a few too many drunks yelling slurs about Ovechkin for my taste but overall an amazing crowd and atmosphere, and a phenomenal experience -- my first playoff hockey game and I was not disappointed.