Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers(1) vs. Washington Capitals(7): Eastern Conference Semi-Finals

All Pro

New York Rangers(1) vs. Washington Capitals(7): Eastern Conference Semi-Finals

LETS GO RANGERS!

Cliff notes for newbs:

The top remaining seed, the New York Rangers, look to make up for past playoff failures against the 7th seeded Washington Capitals. Both teams are coming off of tough 7 game series. Washington was able to upset the defending champion Boston Bruins with tough defense and excellent goal tending by former 3rd stringer, Braden Holtby. The Capitals are lead by arguably the most talented player in the world, Alexander Ovechkin. They also have talented center Nic Backstrom and one of the best offensive defensemen in Mike Green. The past 2 times these teams have met the Capitals have won the series. In 2009, the 7th seeded Rangers took the 2nd seeded Capitals to a game 7 only to fall just short in Game 7 on a Sergei Federov goal. In 2011, the top seeded Capitals beat the Rangers in 5 with 4 very close wins over the Rangers.

Game 1: Saturday April 28 3:00 PM @ Madison Square Garden
    Game 2: Monday April 30 7:30 PM @ Madison Square Garden
    Game 3 Wednesday May 2 7:30 @ Verizon Center
    Game 4: Saturday May 5 12:30 @ Verizon Center
    Game 5: Monday May 7 7:30 @ Madison Square Garden*
    Game 6: Wednesday May 9 TBD @ Verizon Center*
    Game 7: Saturday May 12 TBD @ Madison Square Garden*

*If necessary

Season Series 2-2

November 25 Rangers 6 Capitals 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuXo5h5SGB4

December 28 Capitals 4 Rangers 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfU79YQSPoI

February 12 Rangers 3 Capitals 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-G2s8bBB8

April 7 Capitals 4 Rangers 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqk-Z8L1_wA

Me When the Rangers Win:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwF0sR9CMY

Homer, Bias Prediction.....RANGERS IN 6
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 04-27-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rangers in 6

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    This series rests on how well Holtby plays, IMO. If he continues to stun the world, this is going to a tough out... If his play falls off to more expected levels I think the Rangers take it easily.

Rangers in 6.

Jets Insider VIP
    thanks for the schedule Bay Ridge

I believe that we have now heard the last of Sam and Joe doing play by play and color on MSG as all remaining Stanley Cup playoff games will be heard on NBCSports affiliates.. (590 on my FIOS HD dial)

MSG is advertising hour long pregame shows and 2 hour postgame shows beginning immediately after the end of the game play by play on NBCSports

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    thanks for the schedule Bay Ridge

I believe that we have now heard the last of Sam and Joe doing play by play and color on MSG as all remaining Stanley Cup playoff games will be heard on NBCSports affiliates.. (590 on my FIOS HD dial)

MSG is advertising hour long pregame shows and 2 hour postgame shows beginning immediately after the end of the game play by play on NBCSports
    You are correct. Last night when they signed off they were saying stuff like: "Well it's been another great season Sam" "Good luck to the Rangers the rest of the way."

Rookie
    One from the other side...

Caps have been playing defense out of their mind. Carlson and Alzner might be playing as well as any D pair in the league. Hammrlik and Greenie have been real solid moving the puck and playing the boards. Wideman is pretty decent in the 3rd pair but his partner to me is in doubt. Schultz can mostly skate and has height but doesn't move the puck well. John Erskine brings size and grittiness, but doesn't skate well or handle the puck well. Dmitri Orlov had a pretty solid 2/3 of the season when he came up but didn't see a minute in the Boston series likely due to his lack of size. Could be interesting if he sees any ice this series. Skates real smooth, moves the puck well, has a howitzer from the point, and loves hitting.

It's already been mentioned, but Holtby has been out of his mind. I actually kind of grinned when Michael Neuvirth got hurt at the end of the year because I liked Holtby best going into the post season. I think he has great vision, moves the puck real well, and plays with so much confidence. With that said, he still makes some rookie mistakes like trying to swat away the goal the other night instead of just covering the puck.

Ovie didn't set the world on fire against Boston but that was with him dealing with Chara and Seidenberg all series. Second line with Backstrom, Johansson, and Semin can be lethal especially if your top D pairing is matched up with the Ovi, Laich, Chimera line which obviously has plenty of speed and skill as well. Beagle, Brouwer, and Hendricks are annoying as all get up. They will mix it up with you, they will do work against the boards, and all three play very well both ways especially Beagle. Beagle made a living PKing against the Bruins. Fourth line is what a fourth line is. They will forecheck you till the lights are out in the arena and as a result they force turnovers. Mike Knuble has shown some wily veteran presence, Ward has really looked good especially along the boards and Keith Aucoin skates well and like any pivot can put the puck anywhere.

That said it's going to be a great series. I don't seeing it going less than 7. I'd like to say the Caps take it, but that might be the red glasses. King Henrick scares the crap out of me but hopefully they can create enough chances skating and moving the puck well. Best of luck fellas!

LETS GO CAPS!

Jets Insider VIP
    GARDEN IS ROCKIN.......3 to 1.

LET'S go BLUE SHIRTS

Jets Insider VIP
    Krieider isn't that bad for a 19 year old IMO

GO RANGERS

Jets Insider VIP
    Krieider isn't that bad for a 19 year old IMO

GO RANGERS
    He'll be 21 in 2 days.

And not bad? The kid is special. He is going to be a terrific player for a long time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He'll be 21 in 2 days.

And not bad? The kid is special. He is going to be a terrific player for a long time.
    My bad on the age..

Do I have to include a sarcasm smiley every time though for you to see I wasnt really saying the kid is only "not bad"????

Hall Of Fame
    Kreider is going to be a good player.

Rangers need all the offense they can get.

Jets Insider VIP
    My bad on the age..

Do I have to include a sarcasm smiley every time though for you to see I wasnt really saying the kid is only "not bad"????

LOL. You've had to say that a few times lately.

Apparently you do. I don't think most of us can detect your sarcasm.

Jets Insider VIP
    Two things would be nice....

1) wrapping this one up in 5 or less to give us some recovery time before facing the winner of the New Jersey State North South Bowl

2) getting Brian Boyle back from the concussion he suffered from that Chris Neal cheap shot that the NHL thought deserved no punishment

got to the game yesterday..great atmosphere. A very even match which came down to goaltending. Personally speaking, the caps looked spent not playing all that physical. I expect them to come out much more physical in game 2 but couldnt help but wonder if they are worn out after the B's series.

Great effort by the Rangers defense and the most potent line combo was easily cally, stepan and kreider. Liked what I saw from Fedex and rupp in limited action, thought his run at Holtby early on was the right move even though he ended up getting called (very questionable IMHO).

Another disappearing act from Gabby. torts was really giving it to him on the bench in the 2nd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Does anyone else find it interesting that in the two series so far, the Rangers are 2-4 with Boyle in the lineup and 3-0 without him?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Does anyone else find it interesting that in the two series so far, the Rangers are 2-4 with Boyle in the lineup and 3-0 without him?
    I hadn't noticed that. It's strange because he's seemingly played well in most of those games -- I'd venture it's coincidence more than anything.

Seems like in this series whoever gets unlucky and nails the crossbar loses.

All Pro
    Tonight is a huge game. Don't want to go down 2-1 with another game lingering in DC.

Rangers have to take advantage on the power play.

All Pro
    Ugh. I'm sick.

Must........post........thoughts...and.........com plaints.

Either way LGR

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Ugh. I'm sick.

Must........post........thoughts...and.........com plaints.

Either way LGR
    Dont get discouraged BRJ. The Rangers played very well the other night and the turnovers and penalties killed them. Overall, i thought they outplayed the Caps.

I expect the Rangers to have a very solid performance and come away with a win tonight in a close contest. The Rangers have been a much better road team throughout the course of the season and always rebound well off a loss.

That being said, Gabby played very well last game but he needs to score some goals if the Rangers are going to win this series. I have been a very vocal critic of his and its damn well time he proves me wrong.

Girardi has done an excellent job on Ovie. Look for Hunter to get Ovie's line out there when Girardi-McD are not on the ice. Stralman, Staal et al. will have their hands full...