Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New York Rangers(1) vs. Washington Capitals(7): Eastern Conference Semi-Finals

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    That summer...saw a plate on LI that said, "NOMO40". I literally sped to catch up with him and tell him I loved the plates.
    That bastard! He was the one who beat me to it! That was my first choice but it had already been taken!

All Pro
    The whole 1940 chant was actually started by the "A-Hole" Islander fans.

It was embarrassing to watch the Islanders win the cup from 80 to 84....

I LOVED when Denis Potvin of the Islanders stepped on the ice and the entire garden sang a chant to the organist....Beat your wife Potvin, Beat your wife".
    That would have been embrassing. Good thing they lost in '84 to Edmonton...not to mention their horrifying near miss in '93 when Dale Hunter (PBUH) took matters in his own hands and took out Turgeon

"Beat your wife" AFAIK disappeared after '94. In a way it's kind of stupid that NYR fans who weren't alive to see Potvin's dirty play never let Potvin Sucks die either ...collectively they aren't the sharpest tools in the drawer

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    That would have been embrassing. Good thing they lost in '84 to Edmonton...not to mention their horrifying near miss in '93 when Dale Hunter (PBUH) took matters in his own hands and took out Turgeon

"Beat your wife" AFAIK disappeared after '94. In a way it's kind of stupid that NYR fans who weren't alive to see Potvin's dirty play never let Potvin Sucks die either ...collectively they aren't the sharpest tools in the drawer
    Too long ago to be exact...but they did win 4 in a row....

Jets Insider VIP
    Too long ago to be exact...but they did win 4 in a row....
    We can never underestimate godawful management/ownership in sports. The Islanders have been irrelevant for a while.

Even in the 1990s the Islanders had become an afterthought. To go from one the greatest dynasties in any sport to irrelevant in 10 years still amazes me.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    We can never underestimate godawful management/ownership in sports. The Islanders have been irrelevant for a while.

Even in the 1990s the Islanders had become an afterthought. To go from one the greatest dynasties in any sport to irrelevant in 10 years still amazes me.
    How do you make a franchise survive and be successful out on the end of an Island.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    How do you make a franchise survive and be successful out on the end of an Island.
    They're really not on the "end" of an Island, more like the middle.

They're in the middle. Having convicted criminal fraudently induce the prior owners to sell doesn't help either.

You can thank Mike Milbury for that. Zdeno Chara and the #2 pick in 2001 (Jason Spezza) for Alexi Yashin? And then signing Yashin to a 10 year $87 million deal? That's just one of many that sent the Islanders down the road to oblivion.
    Last edited by nyahay bus; 05-14-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    You can thank Mike Milbury for that. Zdeno Chara and the #2 pick in 2001 (Jason Spezza) for Alexi Yashin? And then signing Yashin to a 10 year $87 million deal? That's just one of many that sent the Islanders down the road to oblivion.
    You're right. The Milbury blunders were numerous. Beyond ridiculous.

Sather was almost as bad (although most of his blunders were bad FA signings, not bad trades) until Gordie Clark came along and helped straighten his ass out.

Jets Insider VIP

JETS management pre Woody actually gave the Islanders a run for the money in poor management...

I know I'm older than you but it pains me to say it BUT the Islanders of the late 70's early 80's were perhaps the best hockey team I had ever seen. At their prome.... they were on par with the great canadien and Oiler teams. Potvin, Bossy, Trottier, Gorin and I could go on.

But I digress...F*CK the Islanders. F*CK the Devils.

Jets Insider VIP
    JETS management pre Woody actually gave the Islanders a run for the money in poor management...

I know I'm older than you but it pains me to say it BUT the Islanders of the late 70's early 80's were perhaps the best hockey team I had ever seen. At their prome.... they were on par with the great canadien and Oiler teams. Potvin, Bossy, Trottier, Gorin and I could go on.

But I digress...F*CK the Islanders. F*CK the Devils.
    LOL. I'm a "history of the sport" kinda of fan, so I appreciate the great teams and that Islander team was one of the best ever. That's what's so shocking how irrelevant they've become

I'm trying to think of other franchises in other sports that are comparable and it's hard to come up with them.

All Pro
    LOL. I'm a "history of the sport" kinda of fan, so I appreciate the great teams and that Islander team was one of the best ever. That's what's so shocking how irrelevant they've become

I'm trying to think of other franchises in other sports that are comparable and it's hard to come up with them.
    I'm 25 and I've lived in NY for my entire life (excluding the better part of 4 years when I was in college).

I've literally never met an Islanders fan my age. Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Devils, I know tons of fans for every team.... Never known an Islander fan. They're by far the most irrelevent team in NY.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I'm 25 and I've lived in NY for my entire life (excluding the better part of 4 years when I was in college).

I've literally never met an Islanders fan my age. Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Devils, I know tons of fans for every team.... Never known an Islander fan. They're by far the most irrelevent team in NY.
    EXACTLY! I'm 40 and I knew only 1 Islander fan and that was back in the mid 90s when we went to school together. I haven't seen him in 10 yrs.

Jets Insider VIP
    EXACTLY! I'm 40 and I knew only 1 Islander fan and that was back in the mid 90s when we went to school together. I haven't seen him in 10 yrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

Both you guys should consider yourselves lucky. They are the biggest DOOSHES ever. My college buddy would scream in my face "LORD STANLEY LIVES ON LI". He would buy Hockey digest etc. I dont think he's watched a hockey game since 1990.

I would watch Ranger/Islander games ( Islander home games) in a bar on LI where I lived. Ranger fans were outnumbered 5 to 1 and it was BRUTAL.

I remember one of the cup games, listening on the radio, a car in front of me stopped at a light, 3 guys got out and were dancing in the street. Jerk offs!

I could go on but I won't. F*CK the Islanders!

I remember like yesterday the Ken Morrow goal against Hanlon. I believe Herb Brooks was our coach and he just shook his head.....

All Pro
    Both you guys should consider yourselves lucky. They are the biggest DOOSHES ever. My college buddy would scream in my face "LORD STANLEY LIVES ON LI". He would buy Hockey digest etc. I dont think he's watched a hockey game since 1990.

I would watch Ranger/Islander games ( Islander home games) in a bar on LI where I lived. Ranger fans were outnumbered 5 to 1 and it was BRUTAL.

I remember one of the cup games, listening on the radio, a car in front of me stopped at a light, 3 guys got out and were dancing in the street. Jerk offs!

I could go on but I won't. F*CK the Islanders!

I remember like yesterday the Ken Morrow goal against Hanlon. I believe Herb Brooks was our coach and he just shook his head.....
    You remember the goal but not the coach? Yes it was Brooks.

That was a great series. Mikko Leinonen

Yes the Islander fans were insufferable in those days. However their "only" winning 4 was great in that they fell short of the Canadiens' 5 straight.

Coming from out of nowhere and winning in '93 when the Rangers fell flat might have changed their history...

I believe the greatest team ever was the Oilers. 6 finals appearances in 8 years w/ 5 wins through 1990 plus many of their stars appearing in the next 4 and winning the next 3.
    Remember the PP rules were changed for awhile because they were so dominant (no 3 on 3 hockey)
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 05-19-2012 at 08:33 AM.

All Pro
    With all of this Rangers - Devils talk, has anybody been paying attention to what the Kings are doing out west. Winners of 8 straight and 11 of 12, they're going to be an awfully tough match-up for whoever gets out of the East