Thread: Coples excited to be a NYJET promises value

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Coples excited to be a NYJET promises value

There was a time when Quinton Coples was rated a top five prospect and thought he could go 1-2 behind eventual top pick Andrew Luck out of Stanford.

But as questions arose about his motor and passion, his stock began to slip. Coples, though, wasn't bothered that he ended up the 16th overall pick in the NFL Draft Thursday night.

"I just think it was a decision that another team didn't chose me but right now I think the team that did choose me is the best team," he said.

Did he think the Jets got a good deal?

"I think they got a great value," he said.

Does he have a chip on his shoulder?

"Every day," he said. "I always have a chip on my shoulder, I always want to get better, I'm always willing to improve and that's how I take it."

Coples, along with the rest of his family, had a feeling that the Jets would end up taking him with the pick if he was still on the board at No. 16. It didn't keep him from being nervous, though.

"It's just an unbelievable feeling," he said. "I was a nervous wreck but through it all, God blessed me and put me in the right position."

Coples said he received a playbook but hasn't had a chance to thumb through it yet.

And even though Rex Ryan worked him out as a linebacker at the combine, Coples knows he's expected to come in and work into the rotation at defensive end. He didn't play in a predominantly 3-4 defense in college but wasn't worried about the transition.

"At Carolina we had a package where we ran the 3-4 and I also ran it at the Senior Bowl," Coples said. "So I'm definitely familiarized with the 3-4 scheme."

Coples, who's stock was sky high his junior year, said he remained in school for his senior season to prepare himself on and off the field -- something he didn't think he was ready for this time last year.

"I wasn't ready to become a professional," he said. "I played at a high level my junior year but I wasn't ready to make the transition to become a professional on or off the field so that's why I came back."

Amid an agent scandal that rocked the program, Coples said he was counted on as a leadership figure among teammates.

"I just had to stay strong for the team, the team relied on me to be there for them and I had to carry the young guys that came in that weren't familiar with the situation and I think that's what kept me strong, kept me motivated."

A friend of Muhammad Wilkerson's, Coples said he heard from the team's first-round pick last year after the draft. Wilkerson told him: "We're on the rise, we're one step from the Super Bowl."

"(Offenses) should be worried about me and Muhammad, big (Sione Pouha) in the middle and everybody else that's around us," Coples said.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he sounds like he doesnt care and will bail. :rolleyes:

good post, thanks for posting this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love that he knows big mo and wants to dominate with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4450762]Love that he knows big mo and wants to dominate with him.[/QUOTE]

agreed!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are buiding a dominate D-Line. We jUST need to get younger and quicker at LB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must suck to be drafted by the pros and immediately find that your team's fanbase already hates you.

Can't enjoy it for one lousy minute.

Welcome to NY.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4450575]
    Coples, along with the rest of his family, had a feeling that the Jets would end up taking him with the pick if he was still on the board at No. 16. It didn't keep him from being nervous, though.

[/QUOTE]
    Maybe he got the 'feeling' when Rex told him they would draft him if he was still available at 16?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who hates him? Not me. I think Coples is going to be a beast. Take what these a$$hole draft "experts" say wuth a grain of salt, they have nothing better to do than bash the NY Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4450810]Must suck to be drafted by the pros and immediately find that your team's fanbase already hates you.

Can't enjoy it for one lousy minute.

Welcome to NY.[/QUOTE]

Quinton already said he's friends with Mo Wilkerson. What a coincidence, Mo was at Metlife last night. The Jets fans there were cheering and high fivin him when the pick was announced. I'm pretty sure Coples will be well informed about the SOJF's by the time he gets settled in NJ.

I wish him much luck & success in being an instant contributor to the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Met hi. Today at morristown airport. I told him to live in the backfield and said he will. Very nice guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A chip? So that's what that crap is on his arms?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... this kid & hill in the 2nd ... yeahhhhh babbyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! ...

l_j_r

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is metal horse in chinese astrology, not good. Although a cancerian, which means he is vicious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He sounded lazy in that interview. Unmotivated, so to speak.
    :D

Cant wait to see the newest Jets out there. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples will be one of the main reasons we win a superbowl in the next cople years

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;4451933]Coples will be one of the main reasons we win a superbowl in the next [B]cople[/B] years[/QUOTE]

Aaaaaaawwwwwww, snaaaaaaaaaap....! ;)