Thread: This organization hates OLB's

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

This organization hates OLB's

I don't get it. We have been a 3-4 team since Mangini now a 3-4 hybrid with Ryan. I thought that OLB was a premium position in this system. Every year we all say "this is it" and we are convinced we will get a blue chip pass rusher but we never do. This was supposed to be the year instead we draft a 5 tech. DE. The Giants draft stud pass rushers almost every year. We try and get cute with the Jamaal Westerman, Ricky Sapps of the world. Next year's OLB sack production will be about 9 sacks..Maybin will get 8 of those..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jamesangleton;4451202]I don't get it. We have been a 3-4 team since Mangini now a 3-4 hybrid with Ryan. I thought that OLB was a premium position in this system. Every year we all say "this is it" and we are convinced we will get a blue chip pass rusher but we never do. This was supposed to be the year instead we draft a 5 tech. DE. The Giants draft stud pass rushers almost every year. We try and get cute with the Jamaal Westerman, Ricky Sapps of the world. Next year's OLB sack production will be about 9 sacks..Maybin will get 8 of those..[/QUOTE]

DL sacks will be huge.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Build a badass DL and you don't need a stud OLB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4451206]Build a badass DL and you don't need a stud OLB.[/QUOTE]

Do you think Coples will make that much of a difference? I hope so. Maybe they feel confident about Maybin but I cant believe Bryan Thomas is still here

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jamesangleton;4451210]Do you think Coples will make that much of a difference? I hope so. Maybe they feel confident about Maybin but I cant believe Bryan Thomas is still here[/QUOTE]

If he fulfills his potential, hell yes.

Coples and Hill are both risky picks, but their upsides are out of this world.

I love it.

You can't just go with the safe pick all the time. The guy with a solid floor but a very low ceiling.

Go big or go home.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4451214]If he fulfills his potential, hell yes.

Coples and Hill are both risky picks, but their upsides are out of this world.

I love it.

You can't just go with the safe pick all the time. The guy with a solid floor but a very low ceiling.

Go big or go home.[/QUOTE]

Gotta remember they are rookies. Don't expect too much from either.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;4451218]Gotta remember they are rookies. Don't expect too much from either.[/QUOTE]

Neither will most likely blow us away right out of the gate.

But they will definitely contribute in year one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mind our picks this year but I do agree with jamesangleton 100%. You get most of your sacks from 4-3 DE's or rush olbs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We used the 6th overall pick in 08 on one. I don't think they could use another first round pick on one in 09 or 10. I guess you could have argued it last year but de was a bigger need. Now with the emergence of Maybin, I don't think it was needed this year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they just draft the best available player. I will reserve judgement on Coples to see how he develops but the upside is huge. I also think from the more a read the more I feel the drop in production might have been because of the circumstances around him at NC his senior year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Ronnell-Lewis.jpg[/IMG]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4451321][IMG]http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Ronnell-Lewis.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Hmmmm

Forgot Lewis was still on the board.

Massie or Lewis