Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New York Knicks (7) vs. Miami Heat (2): Eastern Conference Quarterfinals

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    As a Knicks fan I didn't really want him back anyway, but obviously I feel for him personally. That's a devestating injury -- I have a hard time imagining he can come back from this at 33.
    Yeah, I wasn't in favor of re-signing him, but I wanted his career to continue. That was a brutal injury.

BTW, I saw the confetti and streamers in the Rangers game and thought of the people complaining about the Knicks doing it. That's the way sports is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    As a Knicks fan I didn't really want him back anyway, but obviously I feel for him personally. That's a devestating injury -- I have a hard time imagining he can come back from this at 33.
    Baron's done. Was a 1 year rental anyway. Knicks are resigning Lin.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't in favor of re-signing him, but I wanted his career to continue. That was a brutal injury.

BTW, I saw the confetti and streamers in the Rangers game and thought of the people complaining about the Knicks doing it. That's the way sports is now.
    In baseball if a guy hits a walk off single he takes a curtain call. It used to be curtain calls were only done if a player hit his 500th HR or pitched a no-hitter now everyone does it everyday somewhere yet no one complains but if the Knicks celebrate winning their first playoff game in 11 years it's the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    Were stuck with Amare, at some point you would just think he would feel embarrassed saying he is a star and getting beat by rebounds by everyone

In 3 years are best player will be Shumpert.

Melo needs to be surrounded by the right players to dominate although he is a great passer and i like the improved defense but it has to be consistent, him and Amare flourish in two completely different systems. He's not even 30 yet, its pathetic.
    Knicks seriously need to consider trading Melo and Tyson Chandler for Dwight Howard this off-season even if it means taking on a couple bad contracts like Big Baby and Hedo to match up the numbers. They should even seriously consider doing it even if Howard won't commit to signing an extension before the trade as he'd probably end up extending anyway.

This is not b/c I think Melo's a loser he's not but Melo and Amare cannot co-exist on the same team they use the same parts of the floor on offense. Even if this team plays a full season together next year, wins around 50 games and gets the 3rd or 4th seed they are not beating Miami they are too f*cking good.

And enough with the Phil Jackson bs - he is not going to magically transform this team into a champsionship winner. We don't have Michael Jordan and Shaq in their primes.

All League
    [QUOTE=SMC;4462576]Yeah, I wasn't in favor of re-signing him, but I wanted his career to continue. That was a brutal injury.

BTW, I saw the confetti and streamers in the Rangers game and thought of the people complaining about the Knicks doing it. That's the way sports is now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thought it was lame in both cases.
    I have been gone from NY for almost 10 years but always said 'NY fans don't go for all that pom-pom, towel-waving, all wear the same color' crap.
    NY fans are genuine. We come up with classic things like the other day with the 5 second countdown from the 8 minute mark. We took Ottawa's cute thing and made it hilarious!

I can't always say that anymore. I have seen the towels during this series and now the confetti!!
    This generation and the ones following it love that cheesy crap.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Knicks seriously need to consider trading Melo and Tyson Chandler for Dwight Howard this off-season even if it means taking on a couple bad contracts like Big Baby and Hedo to match up the numbers. They should even seriously consider doing it even if Howard won't commit to signing an extension before the trade as he'd probably end up extending anyway.

This is not b/c I think Melo's a loser he's not but Melo and Amare cannot co-exist on the same team they use the same parts of the floor on offense. Even if this team plays a full season together next year, wins around 50 games and gets the 3rd or 4th seed they are not beating Miami they are too f*cking good.

And enough with the Phil Jackson bs - he is not going to magically transform this team into a champsionship winner. We don't have Michael Jordan and Shaq in their primes.
    There's no way the Knicks would trade Melo before Amare. If the problem is that Melo and Amare can't co-exist then it will be older Amare who is traded, not Melo.

Personally, I wan't no part of Howard and his herniated disc, baby attitude, horrible free throw shooting, and all he can do is dunk. Love is better than Howard.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

In baseball if a guy hits a walk off single he takes a curtain call. It used to be curtain calls were only done if a player hit his 500th HR or pitched a no-hitter now everyone does it everyday somewhere yet no one complains but if the Knicks celebrate winning their first playoff game in 11 years it's the end of the world.
    Great post, bro.

There's no way the Knicks would trade Melo before Amare. If the problem is that Melo and Amare can't co-exist then it will be older Amare who is traded, not Melo.

Personally, I wan't no part of Howard and his herniated disc, baby attitude, horrible free throw shooting, and all he can do is dunk. Love is better than Howard.
    Who's taking Amare? Unless the Knicks can somehow convince idiot Michael Jordan to take on his contract and that won't happen b/c David Stern has already gift-wrapped and sent him Anthony Davis in the lottery.

It's either a) live with another 2-3 years of frustration of trying to watch Melo and Amare co-exist on offense or b) trade for Howard and contend for a title.

And Howard was not that badly hurt he mailed in the rest of the season after Magic FO told him they wouldn't fire Ron Jeremy.

All Pro
    Who's taking Amare? Unless the Knicks can somehow convince idiot Michael Jordan to take on his contract and that won't happen b/c David Stern has already gift-wrapped and sent him Anthony Davis in the lottery.

It's either a) live with another 2-3 years of frustration of trying to watch Melo and Amare co-exist on offense or b) trade for Howard and contend for a title.

And Howard was not that badly hurt he mailed in the rest of the season after Magic FO told him they wouldn't fire Ron Jeremy.
    No chance we deal Carmelo. D'Antoni left because he wanted to dish Carmelo for Deron Williams, Dolan told him to F off.

And why should we be confident that Amare and Dwight Howard would be a good fit? Truth be told, Chandler has been part of Amare's problem too -- a legit center clogs the lane for Amare to take it to the basket. Not sure I'm all that high on Howard at this point anyway... Seems like a selfish cancer who's too lazy to develop any kind of offensive game. I mean, really, how many years has he been in the league? And he still has no real post game. I'd rather stick with Chandler.

You're right about one thing -- nobody is taking Amare and his uninsured knees. They're going to have to make it work.

Jets Insider VIP

A team with Howard and Amare is not one that contend for a title. Neither are scorers at this stage, Howard would hurt Amare's game as Austin mentioned, and Amare is a shell of his former self. It makes no sense to trade the lesser of the players (Amare) because he can't co-exist with the better player.

Also, Amare is not due $100 million. He's due $64 million, which is easier for a team to swallow. If Rashard Lewis and Gilbert Arenas can be traded then ANYONE with a bad contract and injury issues can be traded. And a lot of teams still have their amnesty clause option.
    Last edited by SMC; 05-09-2012 at 02:55 PM.

All Pro
    A team with Howard and Amare is not one that contend for a title. Neither are scorers at this stage, Howard would hurt Amare's game as Austin mentioned, and Amare is a shell of his former self. It makes no sense to trade the lesser of the players (Amare) because he can't co-exist with the better player.

Also, Amare is not due $100 million. He's due $64 million, which is easier for a team to swallow. If Rashard Lewis and Gilbert Arenas can be traded then ANYONE with a bad contract and injury issues can be traded. And a lot of teams still have their amnesty clause option.
    That's a good point I didn't think about.

A team with Howard by himself is a contender for a title as evidenced by him going to the NBA finals. Meanwhile Melo's only been past the 1st round in just 1 season in the NBA - and I'm not even one of these people who thinks he's a loser I just see Melo and Amare needing to use the same parts of the court on offense and it just doesn't work.

Arenas was not traded he was amnestied.

The most likely scenario is the Knicks stick with pretty much the same roster (resign Lin, make no major moves besides maybe adding a role player with the MLE), bring back Woodson, win between 45-50 games next season which is good for the 4th or 5th seed and get to the second round of the playoffs before being eliminated by Miami.

That's obviously better than what they've been the last 12 years but it's not a championship. Howard is younger than Melo and if give him a supporting cast (Lin, Shump, Amare), with Rose tearing his ACL and maybe never being the same player and who knows maybe Lebron opts out of his current contract in a couple seasons to go back to Cleveland, Knicks actually could contend for a title instead of just reaching for a 2nd round exit.

I'm unfortunately in the middle of a life sentence as a Knicks fan and want to see a championship - not a 2nd rd exit I had plenty of those 20 years ago.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 05-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    A team with Howard by himself is a contender for a title as evidenced by him going to the NBA finals. Meanwhile Melo's only been past the 1st round in just 1 season in the NBA - and I'm not even one of these people who thinks he's a loser I just see Melo and Amare needing to use the same parts of the court on offense and it just doesn't work.

Arenas was not traded he was amnestied.

The most likely scenario is the Knicks stick with pretty much the same roster (resign Lin, make no major moves besides maybe adding a role player with the MLE), bring back Woodson, win between 45-50 games next season which is good for the 4th or 5th seed and get to the second round of the playoffs before being eliminated by Miami.

That's obviously better than what they've been the last 12 years but it's not a championship. Howard is younger than Melo and if give him a supporting cast (Lin, Shump, Amare), with Rose tearing his ACL and maybe never being the same player and who knows maybe Lebron opts out of his current contract in a couple seasons to go back to Cleveland, Knicks actually could contend for a title instead of just reaching for a 2nd round exit.

I'm unfortunately in the middle of a life sentence as a Knicks fan and want to see a championship - not a 2nd rd exit I had plenty of those 20 years ago.
    No, Arenas WAS traded. He was amnestied after he was traded. In fact, Arenas was traded for Rashard Lewis.

So what Howard went to the finals? He did that once 3 years ago in the weak Eastern Conference while Melo was battling NBA champions and 2 dynasties in the West.

I agree with your prognostication about what happens to the Knicks, but you act like losing to the Heat this year or next is some horrible things. Do you know how many home eastern conference playoff games the Heat have lost thus far? Zero. And that was while facing the Sixers, Celtics, and Bulls. The Heat are a real tough team to beat.

All Pro
    Remove Melo. Add Howard (people forget Chandler exists?) and you still lose to the Heat.

Look it up people, you cannot amnesty a player you acquire via trade going forward...Arenas was acquired by Orlando pre the new CBA and was able to be amnestied..any time that would trade for Stat now would NOT be able to amnesty him..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Look it up people, you cannot amnesty a player you acquire via trade going forward...Arenas was acquired by Orlando pre the new CBA and was able to be amnestied..any time that would trade for Stat now would NOT be able to amnesty him..
    Did they trade for Stat? I thought he signed as an UFA?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good series Knicks fans!! Melo is as prolific scorer as there is. I gained much respect for him. But there isn't enough around him.

Lin is the key for next year. They need Lin to be Linsanity. And also for Shumpert to get healthy and keep growing. Shumpert was a huge loss and would have keppt the games closer with his D.

As far as Amare goes, well I think they'll try and trade him. Won't have much luck unless they take back another teams problem or big contracts. But he could be moved possibly. If not then give Melo and Amare a full off season together and hope Amare gets back to what he did year 1 as a Knick.

I really think the Knicks could have won any series in the East outside of this one. Especially with the injuries the Bulls have been dealt.

Overall the Knicks just didn't have enough fire power. I'd keep the coach(unless they can grab Phil or Sloan) and keep building.

Again nice series and good luck next year!
    Last edited by LockeJET; 05-09-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Locke, you think they try to trade Melo or did you mean Amare?

Otherwise youre smoking something good on South Beach and better send it up north.

The Knicks suffer from the problem of incredible loyalty. I would be pumped if we could somehow trade Amare+Chandler for Howard+(**** Player). Melo needs a guy with a back to the basket game and as much as I love Tyson, Dwight's impact is even better.

More likely you will see something like this.

Lin/ Vet PG- I would love to get JKidd for a backup role considering he's 38.
    Shumpert/ Smith
    Anthony/Fields
    Amare/ Harrelson
    Chandler/ Jordan

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Locke, you think they try to trade Melo or did you mean Amare?

Otherwise youre smoking something good on South Beach and better send it up north.
    Sorry I just corrected it. Noway they trade Melo. As I mentioned, he's as prolific a scorer this league has. He can score from anywhere. He's not the all around player or the type that makes everyone better but Melo can also keep growing. Paul Pierce early on was known as a selfish player and a guy who couldn't take his team deeper in the playoffs. He just needed more talent and boom he took off.

Amare they will shop for sure. If they do find someone to take Amare, Lin or Shumpert will be a part of that trade. No team is taking him without something sweet involved.