Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New York Knicks (7) vs. Miami Heat (2): Eastern Conference Quarterfinals

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    You haven't explained how it's a debacle.

The Knicks have back-to-back winning seasons and playoff births for the first time in 10 years. They had a better winning percentage this year than last. That's improvement.

Again, please explain how is it a debacle.

It's a debacle because it is relative to expectations. The intent of all of these moves was to compete for an NBA championship. It has proven to be an epic failure.

This team is lucky enough to be in the Eastern Conference and it has barely made the playoffs twice and has gone 1-8 in the first round.

You want to compare that to the previous 3 years in which we tanked on purpose? Really? The 2009 Knicks are your benchmark?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I love hypothetical arguments that have no basis in fact and are unverifiable.

The Nets were a "debacle" with Deron while the Jazz made the playoffs in a tougher Western Conference without him.

Oh wait, that argument only works against Melo, right?
    The Nets are the Knicks from 3 years ago, so Williams was in an impossible situation surrounded by a cast of characters who would struggle to fill out an old USBL team.

I'd trade him for Melo straight up in a heartbeat. Let Melo shoot 13 for 30 in Brooklyn.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    It's a debacle because it is relative to expectations. The intent of all of these moves was to compete for an NBA championship. It has proven to be an epic failure.

This team is lucky enough to be in the Eastern Conference and it has barely made the playoffs twice and has gone 1-8 in the first round.

You want to compare that to the previous 3 years in which we tanked on purpose? Really? The 2009 Knicks are your benchmark?
    Actually, it was only 2 years prior that the Knicks tanked. They sucked big time before that.

This is year 2 and Melo and STAT and Tyson are signed for 3 more years. I didn't realize that winning a championship in the first 2 years was a prerequisite to not being an epic failure.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, it was only 2 years prior that the Knicks tanked. They sucked big time before that.

This is year 2 and Melo and STAT and Tyson are signed for 3 more years. I didn't realize that winning a championship in the first 2 years was a prerequisite to not being an epic failure.
    I don't know SMC. You were a die hard Jets fan fresh off back-to-back AFC Championship games who has decided to be a Giants fan during their most recent playoff run.

So by YOUR standard, not winning a championship is not only an epic failure, it's enough to give up on your team entirely.

But for the record, the epic failure of the Knicks is the fact that not only have they not demonstrated they are capable of competing for a champiopnship now, the way they are presently constructed, imo, they have provided no evidence that the next few years will be different. The Knicks are pot-committed and they are praying for a miracle straight draw.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I don't know SMC. You were a die hard Jets fan fresh off back-to-back AFC Championship games who has decided to be a Giants fan during their most recent playoff run.

So by YOUR standard, not winning a championship is not only an epic failure, it's enough to give up on your team entirely.

But for the record, the epic failure of the Knicks is the fact that not only have they not demonstrated they are capable of competing for a champiopnship now, the way they are presently constructed, imo, they have provided no evidence that the next few years will be different. The Knicks are pot-committed and they are praying for a miracle straight draw.
    Actually, I had an epiphany the day my daughter was born, January 15, the same day the Giants beat the Packers in a huge upset.

Rex, the Jets, media, and Jet fans had become intolerable after an 8-8 season (which wasn't that bad of a season). Everyone acted as if they went 1-15. It was simply hard to take.

I no longer wanted to be associated with the team or the fanbase. It was a personal decision I'm glad I made in light of the championship and the ridiculous Tebow trade.

The reason why I'm still here, besides being a Knicks, Rangers, and Yankee fan which we still discuss, is that I like you guys personally. You're a cool guy, Traitor, I just hate the Jets-fan-ness about you. It poisons so much of your opinion about the world. I didn't want the poison in me any longer.

As to the Knicks, they played pretty damn well when completely healthy. I'd like to see a full season with that healthy team before I make definitive statements of what they can and cannot do.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Actually, I had an epiphany the day my daughter was born, January 15, the same day the Giants beat the Packers in a huge upset.

Rex, the Jets, media, and Jet fans had become intolerable after an 8-8 season (which wasn't that bad of a season). Everyone acted as if they went 1-15. It was simply hard to take.

I no longer wanted to be associated with the team or the fanbase. It was a personal decision I'm glad I made in light of the championship and the ridiculous Tebow trade.

The reason why I'm still here, besides being a Knicks, Rangers, and Yankee fan which we still discuss, is that I like you guys personally. You're a cool guy, Traitor, I just hate the Jets-fan-ness about you. It poisons so much of your opinion about the world. I didn't want the poison in me any longer.

As to the Knicks, they played pretty damn well when completely healthy. I'd like to see a full season with that healthy team before I make definitive statements of what they can and cannot do.
    Thanks. I think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's so weak. So what, if the Jets win the Super Bowl this year, it's not going to mean anything to you?

If you can give it up that easily, it was never really there in the first place...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    That's so weak. So what, if the Jets win the Super Bowl this year, it's not going to mean anything to you?

If you can give it up that easily, it was never really there in the first place...
    I'll be happy that it happened for the first time in my lifetime, but no, it won't have the same meaning. I've exorcised those demons. The Jets are like an ex-wife you're still on friendly terms with.

As to whether the Jets were never really there in the first place, that may be 100% true. Ultimately, it's just entertainment.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

That is pretty effin WEAK..
    Last edited by gqxluvx; 05-17-2012 at 10:51 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is David Stern going to rig the draft again for New Orleans next year too to give Davis some help?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    That is pretty effin WEAK..
    It's just entertainment. You'll get over it too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's just entertainment. You'll get over it too.
    Probably not. Most people who waste as much time on a Jets board as we do think of it as more than "just entertainment."

Not neccessarily a healthy thing, but it is what it is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Probably not. Most people who waste as much time on a Jets board as we do think of it as more than "just entertainment."

Not neccessarily a healthy thing, but it is what it is.
    I find JI very entertaining, so it's never a waste of time.