Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tavon Wilson?? Your thoughts?

[QUOTE=FF2®;4451778]That would be a waste of your talents.[/QUOTE]

Gotta go. Thanks for the banter, FF2. :yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=rep;4451757]I don't call him a bust yet. I simply call him a terrible value pick. It doesn't matter how he turns out. They could have been safe and picked him in the 5th round, and picked another quality 2nd round player.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how many times this has to be said, but they didn't have any selections beyond the second round at that time. It's been suggested that they could have traded down. I say that is pure unadulterated speculation with absolutely no basis in fact. There may not have been any trade partners at that point.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=rep;4451779]Because a player that was graded as a 7th rounder at best with UDFA more likely just isn't going to get drafted by anyone else before the 5th rounder.

But hey, keep up the optimism. Can't wait for Brady to eventually be gone so we can see Belichick run the Patriots into the ground with his god awful drafting techniques.[/QUOTE]

I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic about the pick. I just think rating a draft the day of is idiotic.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4451787]I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic about the pick. I just think rating a draft the day of is idiotic.[/QUOTE]

So as a fan, you aren't disappointed that you could have traded down and acquired more picks, yet selected the same player...

Or that you got fleeced on the value of the other 2nd round pick, when a team just a few picks later got better value than you did?

Strange thought process... This is pretty cut and dry, bro...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Refuel;4451741]True. It's always a waiting game.

But let's be honest. Regardless of how the pick turns out, if the Jets had been in the exact same situation and made the exact same move, every Patriots fan would be laughing himself to sleep tonight and every analyst would be chalking this pick up as the latest Jets Draft Day Disaster.

The criticism (along with the pressure of being selected in the 2nd round when you're not even projected to get drafted) would probably ruin him before his first trip to Cortland.[/QUOTE]

This is hard to argue with. Unfortunately each team has such fans. It's the Fantasy football impact.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4451637]Can you imagine how everyone would have tarred and feathered the Jets had they opted to do something so stupid? This guy wasn't even ranked in the top 100 players in the draft. Yet, now that the Patsies took him and WASTED all of the equity in that 2nd rounder in the meantime, the media will most certainly come to their aid. They'll stroke them in the newspapers somehow.

But when you hear it, don't believe it. This f*ckin' kid could have been have been selected by the Patsies somewhere in the 4TH round. Instead, they wasted a 2nd rounder. The Patsies are a f*ckin' joke.[/QUOTE]

Yes- they're a joke. That's why they win the AFC East every year, they've won 3 Super Bowls in the last 10 years, they've won 5 AFC Championships, they came into Metlife last year and took a big **** all over the Jets 37-16, not to mention a solid ass reaming at Gillette, but let's call them a joke because they MIGHT have selected a questionable 2nd round pick. Brilliant. No wonder why Jets fans sometimes get the reputation as being buffoons...

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD.

THEY MIGHT'VE BEEN ABLE TO SELECT HIM IN THE 4TH ROUND- BUT THEY SELECTED THEM IN THE 2ND ROUND. THE PIG IS RIPE FOR THE SLAUGHTER, THEY MIGHT'VE PICKED THE WRONG GUY TOO EARLY, OMG OMG THEY'RE IDIOTS.

Of course nobody has a clue about how any of these draft picks are going to turn out until they actually see the field in live game action, but because the guy was supposed to be a 4th rounder and the Patriots selected him in the 2nd round, this apparently means that their franchise is in going to be in the ****ter, over one draft pick that was made. Nevermind they have the best QB in the league, the best coach, and an overall stacked team, they made one pick in the 2nd round and now they've become a joke. Wow, what a thread. Can't make this **** up. Let's repost this one in December when the Patriots have locked up another division and we're scrapping to try to get to 9-7 and back in as the 6th seed.

[URL]http://cache.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/27/patriots-make-surprising-friday-picks[/URL]

The Patriots had needs at pass rusher and safety, and they addressed both on Day Two of the draft.

But raise your hand if you expected the names to address those needs to be [URL="http://bit.ly/KhvPc8"]Tavon Wilson[/URL] and [URL="http://bit.ly/IifNCA"]Jake Bequette[/URL].

That’s what I thought.

Bill Belichick went completely off the board in the second round, taking Wilson, a free safety out of Illinois. Wilson was a late-rising safety talent and has tools that indicate he can develop into a contributor on the back end (physically and mentally tough, reads and reacts quickly), but with plenty of other safeties on the board, the pick was quite the head scratcher.

Bequette wasn’t nearly the reach Wilson was, but again, there were likely better edge rushers on the board. The only board that matters in Foxborough, though, is Belichick’s.

Focusing on Bequette, he had his hand in the dirt at the Senior Bowl and has the type of versatility that Belichick values in his defensive players.

According to PFW’s Nolan Nawrocki, Bequette “gets off the ball quickly and can turn the corner if he gets a step. Good closing burst.” That’s the type of player the Pats need in the front seven, especially with pass rushers Mark Anderson and Andre Carter gone from last year. (Carter remains a free agent and could theoretically re-sign down the line with New England if he proves he is healthy.)

Nawrocki also wrote that Bequette could be in “for a rude awakening vs. NFL tackles,” so there are plenty of questions about Bequette — though not as many as there are about Wilson.

The Patriots’ first four picks were on defense, and they have one pick on Saturday, which could be a running back, receiver or O-lineman. The Pats continued to try to improve the defense, but their Friday picks certainly do not instill the same confidence that Thursday night’s selections of Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower did.

The bottom line is now one knows how any of these picks are going to end up...trade up, trade down, in the end, draft picks get cut and free agents become starters....

Just sit back and see what happens.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4451682]I'm no expert, but I follow college football and the draft religiously, year round.

I've never even heard of the kid and everyone from Mayock to Gil Brandt to Kiper had him as a 7th round pick/UDFA.[/QUOTE]

Thats what i heard on Sirius today with all those guys talking about the picks thus far...I cant believe that pick..Not hating obviously teams no more than us but seemed like a big reach...

Love our picks though I think coples is going to be like tuck and Osi or peppers...Hes going to be a star...everything i read was he just didnt want to get hurt his senior year thats why they said he doesnt play hard all the time...I dont blame him.

Hill is a great pick and Davis is going to be a tackling machine.

All League
    [QUOTE=CleatMarks;4451809]The bottom line is now one knows how any of these picks are going to end up...trade up, trade down, in the end, draft picks get cut and free agents become starters....

Just sit back and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Very true, but the point of the thread was: if the jets pull this move, they're a laughing stock. Belicheck is a genius who works in mysterious ways.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4451637]Can you imagine how everyone would have tarred and feathered the Jets had they opted to do something so stupid? This guy wasn't even ranked in the top 100 players in the draft. Yet, now that the Patsies took him and WASTED all of the equity in that 2nd rounder in the meantime, the media will most certainly come to their aid. They'll stroke them in the newspapers somehow.

But when you hear it, don't believe it. This f*ckin' kid could have been have been selected by the Patsies somewhere in the 4TH round. Instead, they wasted a 2nd rounder. The Patsies are a f*ckin' joke.[/QUOTE]

When ever a franchise has superbowl wins on their resume. They get a free pass from the media. The Pats can draft Darius Butler, Brandon Merriweather, Jonathan Wilhite etc and they get no heat for it. Belichick has done a dreadful job with his defense the last few years in drafting, developing talent and coordinating his defense. There's no getting around it.

The Pats draft Chandler Jones and they are hailed as being brilliant. If the Jets draft Jones, He's a 4 sack guy playing in the big east who has never played outside linebacker in his life and is coming off an injury plagued season.

It's not just the media. It's the fans or the phony fans who parade around making themselves look like losers and posing as "realists". These fans treat their own franchise as a joke all the while being a joke themselves.

All League
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4451637][QUOTE]Can you imagine how everyone would have tarred and feathered the Jets had they opted to do something so stupid? This guy wasn't even ranked in the top 100 players in the draft. Yet, now that the Patsies took him and WASTED all of the equity in that 2nd rounder in the meantime, the media will most certainly come to their aid. They'll stroke them in the newspapers somehow.

But when you hear it, don't believe it. This f*ckin' kid could have been have been selected by the Patsies somewhere in the 4TH round. Instead, they wasted a 2nd rounder.[/QUOTE]

When you are right,. MJ, you are right. This could be the most implausible, explicable pick BB has ever made as the Pats HC And I think you are being kind when you say he could have been had in the 4th.

There are a number of Pats fans who are defending it by comparing it to the Volmer and Mankins picks (both of whom were home run picks), but I can't see it. Even though both were considered "reaches" at least those guys were on the radar. Mel Kiper might be an idiot, but you know he knows who all the draft eligible players are, he even he had no clue who he was.

There are others who defend it by saying, who knows the kid might turn out to be a very nice player......and he may. But even if he does, it STILL doesn't justify using the 48th pick on a player you could have gotten at 62 ,102, or even 202 if you wanted him that bad.

Plus they traded the 62 for a very late 3rd and a very late 5th. That's pennies on the dollar in value. No MJ it was hard to believe that this was the FO who amassed close to 40 picks over the last 4 years. That it was the same FO that restocked a franchise for more superbowl runs WITHOUT having even a single 9 win season. That it was the same FO that just the night before thrilled Pats fans with 2 fantastic picks late in the first round.

Its also ironic that I went into that round hoping the Pats would get a DLman and a DB and when it was over that's what we got. However when I think that those 2 players COULD have just as easily have been Reyes and Johnson or Still and Iloki, instead of Wilson and Bequette, my head wants to explode

BTW- I kind of liked Bequette as prospect in the 3rd, but whoever that 5th round guy turns out to be, he's going to have to be a 5 year starter to make up for the Wilson pick and that bad trade.

[QUOTE]The Patsies are a f*ckin' joke.[/QUOTE]

Well THAT remark, as you well know in your heart of hearts, is as erroneous as your first remark was true. That 2nd round hiccup doesn't mitigate what was up until that point a very good off season in FA and a spectacular first round.

I think that Jet fans should be worried about the improvement the Bills have been making as much as any slip ups the Pats make. And while they certainly made one in the 2nd round last night, they have more than kept pace with the rest of the league as far as improving the talent and depth of their team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;4451669]Aren't you just simply being a Pats hater? [B]You don't know **** about this kid[/B] and you are declaring him a bust? Is this the best you can do? [B]What the hell are you credentials for evaluating him?[/B] [B]Do you have any idea[/B] what role the Pats are going to ask him to play? Of course not. [B]You know less about him than the media does and that is just about nothing[/B].[/QUOTE]

The bolded comments are 100% true about the poster in question but the pick was still a big reach.

Can you at least admit that or is it all about being defensive?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=MadCroatian;4451678]The Tavon Wilson pick was a headscratcher to be sure, but an even bigger headscratcher was the trade they made after... trading thier other 2nd rounder for a 3rd and a 5th. That was TERRIBLE draft value. Awful. Inexplicable.[/QUOTE]
    Thought the same thing.

Especially considering how much talent was on the board.

All League
    [QUOTE=LeonM;4451832][QUOTE]When ever a franchise has superbowl wins on their resume. They get a free pass from the media. The Pats can draft Darius Butler, Brandon Merriweather, Jonathan Wilhite etc and they get no heat for it.[/QUOTE] When a team has the success the Pats have, the media certainly gives it the benefit of the doubt, but believe me BB has gotten plenty of heat for the guys you named above....and more.

[QUOTE]Belichick has done a dreadful job with his defense the last few years in drafting, developing talent and coordinating his defense. There's no getting around it. [/QUOTE]Then how do you explain the fact that you think Bellichick is doing a "dreadful" job with an injury riddled defense, yet it allowed fewer points than your resident genius managed to do.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4451732]I'm outraged.®[/QUOTE]
    You're more than that.

PM me for more details.

[QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;4451669]Aren't you just simply being a Pats hater? You don't know **** about this kid and you are declaring him a bust? Is this the best you can do? What the hell are you credentials for evaluating him? Do you have any idea what role the Pats are going to ask him to play? Of course not. You know less about him than the media does and that is just about nothing.[/QUOTE]

You can't defend this idiotic pick. Belichick could have had this kid in the 3rd, 4th even 5th round. Haha. Picked at 48 when he would be there at 148. He's going to suck anyway.

Rookie
    Still scratching my head, as are a ton of Patriot fans, on that pick.

Wilson is a position of need so he will be competition in camp. Downside is if he can't cut the mustard he won't be cut being a second rounder.

He better be decent or more flak will follow from the fanbase.

At least Sergio Brown wasn't a high pick and can be dumped without much blowback.

Pats just traded 5th rounder for more picks

All League
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4451743]WE do. Because we are having a great time sh*tting on the stupidity of your front office.:D[/QUOTE]

I wish they'd emulate the Jets front office given their impressive track record assembling outstanding talent that consistently results in winning seasons and playoffs...:(