Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tavon Wilson?? Your thoughts?

[QUOTE=PatriotReign;4452167]I wish they'd emulate the Jets front office given their impressive track record assembling outstanding talent that consistently results in winning seasons and playoffs...:([/QUOTE]

Mel Kiper said he thinks the NYJETS dont know what this draft is all about. :O

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter"][B]Adam Schefter[/B] ‏ @[B]AdamSchefter[/B] [/URL]
    [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter"][/URL]Factoid that might interest only me: Patriots 2nd-rd pick Tavon Wilson has a great-great grandmother, Eddye Williams, still alive at 112

All League
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4451935]The bolded comments are 100% true about the poster in question but the pick was still a big reach.

Can you at least admit that or is it all about being defensive?[/QUOTE]

I will freely admit it that it was a reach but every off season we debate who won the Draft Lombardi. I remember Solder being scoffed at on JI as a sure bust last season and I still remember saying an expletive back when Vernon "the Beast" Gholston was drafted by Mangini. If this kid turns out to be a player it doesn't matter where he was or could have been drafted. So far BB has done pretty well in this draft although this pick is a head scratcher.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4451650]Top 100?

He wasn't even ranked in the Top 200.

This was a bigger reach than Irvin in the 1st round. But it's the Pats so everyone is going to blow Belichick.[/QUOTE]

This was the same response from Jets fans when the Pats drafted Logan Mankins in the 1st round.

How did that turn out?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I've seen three media members tweet today that this was good pick becuase Wilson has a great-great grandmother who is 112 and that is his "inspiration" :confused:

Banned
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4452171]Mel Kiper said he thinks the NYJETS dont know what this draft is all about. :O[/QUOTE]

Other analysts have said the exact same thing. :yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4452186]I've seen three media members tweet today that this was good pick becuase Wilson has a great-great grandmother who is 112 and that is his "inspiration" :confused:[/QUOTE]

Somebody had to say it. :P

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4452186]I've seen three media members tweet today that this was good pick becuase Wilson has a great-great grandmother who is 112 and that is his "inspiration" :confused:[/QUOTE]

Every other draft pick hates their grandma...leave it to the genius to find the one who doesn't! Brilliant!:boogie2:

Banned
    [QUOTE=FF2;4451787]I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic about the pick. I just think rating a draft the day of is idiotic.[/QUOTE]

I remember the day the Jets drafted Gholston.

Hammer started an over/under thread about how many sacks he would have his rookie year.

Hammer started the over/under at 12. :eek:

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4451926][QUOTE=Mainejet;4451637]

When you are right,. MJ, you are right. This could be the most implausible, explicable pick BB has ever made as the Pats HC And I think you are being kind when you say he could have been had in the 4th.

There are a number of Pats fans who are defending it by comparing it to the Volmer and Mankins picks (both of whom were home run picks), but I can't see it. Even though both were considered "reaches" at least those guys were on the radar. Mel Kiper might be an idiot, but you know he knows who all the draft eligible players are, he even he had no clue who he was.

[/QUOTE]

Wilson may turn out to be a bust, but it is no more implausible than the Vollmer pick. The only reason any member of the draft-watching public had ever heard of Vollmer was because he was listed in Rick Gosselin's top 100. His comment was something like "every year several off-the-radar players shoot up the draft boards despite not even being invited to the NFL combine. This year, Vollmer is the best of those guys."

Gosselin doesn't write his draft columns anymore. And nobody was better at pegging the last-minute risers than he.

Every Pats fan I know was excited about the Butler and Brace picks in the 2nd round and wringing their hands like you about the Vollmer pick. We'll see how it all works out with Wilson.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4452179]This was the same response from Jets fans when the Pats drafted Logan Mankins in the 1st round.

How did that turn out?[/QUOTE]

I hate this logic. Just because it's the Patriots and they once drafted another unknown nobody who turned out well, that means drafting nobodies in the 2nd round will turn out wonderful.

Fact is, you don't know. But if people are going to walk all over us because we drafted a guy who slipped all the way from the top 10 to 16, then don't act all surprised and shocked and defensive when people criticize plucking a guy in the 2nd round who would've been lucky to be Mr. Irrelevant.

Seriously, if the Pats drafted a dead guy, people would dig up the poor man's corpse thinking he must still be alive, and analysts wouldn't give the pick anything less than a "C" until they had a chance to give the dead body a physical.

All League
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4452172][URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter"][B]Adam Schefter[/B] ‏ @[B]AdamSchefter[/B] [/URL]
    [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter"][/URL]Factoid that might interest only me: Patriots 2nd-rd pick Tavon Wilson has a great-great grandmother, Eddye Williams, still alive at 112[/QUOTE] "Well.....at least we got that goin' for us....I think", ;).

Also, love the wonderful "Fan Ballot" on NFL.com.

Fan grade for the Jets second round pick, potential stud WR who could've gone in the first round? B-

Fan grade for the Pats second round pick? B-

Again, not saying this safety won't turn out to be amazing, but come on. Ratings might be silly and stupid at this point, but the double standard when it comes to everything Patriots is ridiculous.

-- And for the record, wish the kid the best of luck, and I do think it's awesome that his grandmother's been around so long. Keep it up!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4452179]This was the same response from Jets fans when the Pats drafted Logan Mankins in the 1st round.

How did that turn out?[/QUOTE]
    Except that Mankins was the 4th best rated guard in the draft. Not a 7th rounder-UDFA.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4451687]Well, you may very well be correct about that, but let me tell you what I do know...

The Patsies (your idols) just PISSED away a perfectly good 2nd round draft choice by selecting a player that could have been taken somewhere in the 4th round at the earliest. THAT is a f*ckin' waste.

NO excuse for that. Simply NO excuse.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

People said the same thing about the Vollmer pick and Logan Mankins before that. That said, it is a real head scratcher. One that I can't even begin to fathom. Certainly BB saw something in the kid that few others saw. The ONLY plausible answer for reaching that far for him is that he supposedly had seven teams that brought him in for visits (Buccaneers, Texans, Cardinals, Falcons, Colts, Ravens, Chargers), and the Pats were worried someone else was going to grab him.

Certainly, BB had his reasons, even if we and the media can't figure it out. But I trust the Pats evaluation of the guy based on scouting and a private workout more than the opinions of those here and the mediots who've never even heard of the guy.Befuddling? Sure. Bad pick? No way to know.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4452214]I remember the day the Jets drafted Gholston.

Hammer started an over/under thread about how many sacks he would have his rookie year.

Hammer started the over/under at 12. :eek:[/QUOTE]

So he set the over a little on the high side........has a law been broken?;)

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4452247]So he set the over a little on the high side........has a law been broken?;)[/QUOTE]

only if someone else posted in his mock draft thread. :D

[url]http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7865727/tavon-wilson-reach-round-2-not-bill-belichick[/url]

While Wilson might have been under the public radar in the pre-draft process, the Patriots saw plenty of him over his 50-game college career, so they didn't need the combine or all-star games to confirm their thinking he was one of the top defensive backs in the draft.

When asked about the pick, this is what BB said...

"He played plenty. You can see him plenty at Illinois," Belichick said. "You can see him against whoever you want to see him against: all the Big Ten schools, Arizona State, teams that throw the ball. He's playing corner, he's playing safety, he's playing the inside positions, the nickel position, the dime position -- Michigan State, they're a good passing team; Michigan, they're a spread-out offense team. There's a lot of passing in that conference, Northwestern, all those teams."

Belichick, who like others has made his share of draft mistakes, compared the situation to offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer coming out of the 2009 draft. Vollmer wasn't invited to the combine and thus was considered a reach among analysts (two seasons later, he was named second-team All-Pro).