Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Coulda had Bobby Massie at 108

  1. #1

    Coulda had Bobby Massie at 108

    We'd be set at RT. Tebow better be worth it.

  2. #2
    The way he fell signaled that he might not be a starter this year

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The way he fell signaled that he might not be a starter this year
    More likely that it was off the field or injury related.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,168
    looked like Vlad II in the highlights I saw

    run blocker who is lost in pass blocking

  5. #5
    According to Tony on Draft Insider, the word on the street was that Massie wouldn't be competing to start for at least a year and he was raw, a project.

    Even if that weren't the case, saying "we'd be set" based on a draft pick that hasn't even put on an NFL jersey yet is awfully premature. Sounds to me like the Jets didn't want to invest in another raw OT after drafting Ducasse, who might end up being productive well before Massie.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear83 View Post
    We'd be set at RT. Tebow better be worth it.
    yup and then youd post a thread saying we need speed at OLB...

    We will take a olineman with a late round pick..maybe 2.

    In 6th I expect OL/S/RB

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    According to Tony on Draft Insider, the word on the street was that Massie wouldn't be competing to start for at least a year and he was raw, a project.

    Even if that weren't the case, saying "we'd be set" based on a draft pick that hasn't even put on an NFL jersey yet is awfully premature. Sounds to me like the Jets didn't want to invest in another raw OT after drafting Ducasse, who might end up being productive well before Massie.
    yup which makes sense....

    I'll say this...I'll be shocked if Hunter is our starting RT opening day.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear83 View Post
    We'd be set at RT. Tebow better be worth it.
    I will gladly go on record saying Tebow will have a more POSITIVE impact on the 2012 Jets than this Massie kid (or likely any pick at 108) would have had.

    Of course, I see Tebow as a better version of Brad Smith, and not even remotely a threat to start at QB, so that's where my guarantee is coming from . . .

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    yup and then youd post a thread saying we need speed at OLB...
    Huh?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear83 View Post
    Huh?
    oh wait..LOL sorry misread the post

    I'll take Tebow over a project RT prospect any day...we can still address that in the later rounds and post draft

  11. #11
    Mayock had Massie at #44 on his top 100 overall. Said he'll get some snaps this year. I think it was Charles Davis who said he's good enough to eventually play him at LT, if someone wanted to move him there.

    A potted plant at pick #108 would move ahead of Hunter on the depth chart...

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,850
    And who says we would have drafted Massie at 108? If the Jets wanted to, I'm sure they could have traded their 3rd round pick next year for the first pick in the 4th round, or somewhere in that range. One of the teams before Arizona would have taken a 3rd rounder next year for their 4th rounder this year.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    And who says we would have drafted Massie at 108?
    We'll never know...

    My underlying premise is that the Jets wasted the opportunity on Tebow.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,168
    getting away from the coulda-shudda department into the world of reality


    the NY Jets in a trade with the Denver got an athletic backup quarterback AND a former first round pick WHO ACTUALLY started at QB for the Broncos last year and WON a playoff game in OT against the Pittsburgh Steelers

    FOR

    Phillip Blake, a middling center from Baylor whom the Broncos drafted with the fourth round pick they received from the NYJ

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear83 View Post
    We'll never know...

    My underlying premise is that the Jets wasted the opportunity on Tebow.
    "wasted" in a strong word...the jets grabbed a guy who adds a tremendous dimension to our offense...take that over a project RT who hasn't played a single down in the NFL any day of the week.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,168
    I guess that's correct, sort of

    if you don't agree that Tebow is

    1) better than Mark Brunell as a backup

    2) better than Jeremy Kerley/LT were last year at the direct snap option

    and

    3) better than Phillip Blake, Center from Baylor

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    getting away from the coulda-shudda department into the world of reality


    the NY Jets in a trade with the Denver got an athletic backup quarterback AND a former first round pick WHO ACTUALLY started at QB for the Broncos last year and WON a playoff game in OT against the Pittsburgh Steelers

    FOR

    Phillip Blake, a middling center from Baylor whom the Broncos drafted with the fourth round pick they received from the NYJ
    Except that our need was at tackle, not center, and Massie would have been there for us.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear83 View Post
    We'll never know...

    My underlying premise is that the Jets wasted the opportunity on Tebow.
    So if their 4th round pick was a bust, like 90% of 4th rounders historically have been, what did they lose? I just can't believe some of you people are acting like they gave a 1st round pick for Tebow. It's a 4th rounder. 4th. Check up on how many good 4th rounders there are. Just because you can name a couple good 4th rounders in history doesn't mean it's a terrible loss. I am sure I can name about 9 times as many 4th rounders who didn't make it as you can name that did.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,168
    we already have Vlad Ducasse

    there was no need to draft Vlad Ducasse II

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    So if their 4th round pick was a bust, like 90% of 4th rounders historically have been, what did they lose? I just can't believe some of you people are acting like they gave a 1st round pick for Tebow. It's a 4th rounder. 4th. Check up on how many good 4th rounders there are. Just because you can name a couple good 4th rounders in history doesn't mean it's a terrible loss. I am sure I can name about 9 times as many 4th rounders who didn't make it as you can name that did.
    Agreed. If we were talking rounds 1 - 3 this might be a discussion...but a 4th? no big deal. a GREAT value trade by Tanny.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us