Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets explained their backfield

Jets explained their backfield

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/JennyVrentas"][B]Jenny Vrentas[/B] ‏ @[B]JennyVrentas[/B][/URL]
    Jets explained their backfield as Greene and Ganaway as "A" backs, McKnight and Powell and "B" backs, Conner as FB, Baker as FB/HB.

Also notable: Jets included Tim Tebow when discussing the depth in their offensive backfield. Mike Tannenbaum somewhat revealing today.

Tannenbaum says John Conner is "on the team for now." Sounds like they have yet to determine how backs fit into Sparano's new system.

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/TheJetsStream"][B]Manish Mehta [/B] ‏ @[B]TheJetsStream[/B][/URL]
    Tannenbaum on John Conner: "He's on the team for now." Says he'll compete w/other backs for spot. Rex says there is room for traditional FB

YOu mean the Terminator might be Terminated. You mean the Mouth didn't evaluate him properly?

[QUOTE=rextilleon;4452754]YOu mean the Terminator might be Terminated. You mean the Mouth didn't evaluate him properly?[/QUOTE]

Powell is the guy that should be looked at poorly. Drafted in what the 4th round last year? We may have even traded up to get him and he is behind our 6th rounder this year right away?

I liked Connor and had him as a decent replacemnt for richardson but I'mnot sure sparano uses FB's and Connor is very limited. A block and that is it.

All League
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4452754]YOu mean the Terminator might be Terminated. You mean the Mouth didn't evaluate him properly?[/QUOTE]

The jets are the only team that don't keep every drafted player.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4452758]Powell is the guy that should be looked at poorly. Drafted in what the 4th round last year? We may have even traded up to get him and he is behind our 6th rounder this year right away?

I liked Connor and had him as a decent replacemnt for richardson but I'mnot sure sparano uses FB's and Connor is very limited. A block and that is it.[/QUOTE]

no trade up for powell

I think the "B" guys are 3rd down roles?

Jets Insider VIP
    Baker should be our #2 TE

And special teamers

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4452758]Powell is the guy that should be looked at poorly. Drafted in what the 4th round last year? We may have even traded up to get him and he is behind our 6th rounder this year right away?

I liked Connor and had him as a decent replacemnt for richardson but I'mnot sure sparano uses FB's and Connor is very limited. A block and that is it.[/QUOTE]

And he's really not that great of a run blocker. Pretty average from what I was able to see last year.

Will one of you ground and pound pundits, tell me how mere coaching is going to make us better then the 22nd rated running offense last year? Could someone tell me, how, in a league that is now pass oriented, we go to the ground and pound, WTF that is.

Jets Insider VIP
    I really like Ganaway.

A true bruising, down hill runner who doesn't go down easily. Unlike Greene.

Hall Of Fame
    Conner hasn't developed much at all.

Hand-picked FB. LOL.

Basically a lock that Greene doesn't get re-signed. Even if he has a big year they should let him go. He will be a FA, right?

Jets will miss LT in the passing game.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-28-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Cut Powell.

All League
    A pure fullback really has no place in a spread option. Tebow is coming.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4452779]I really like Ganaway.

A true bruising, down hill runner who doesn't go down easily. Unlike Greene.[/QUOTE]

Fast for his size as well.

[QUOTE=51JetsFanInPA;4452840]Cut Powell.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4452781]Conner hasn't developed much at all.

Hand-picked FB. LOL.

Basically a lock that Greene doesn't get re-signed. Even if he has a big year they should let him go. He will be a FA, right?

Jets will miss LT in the passing game.[/QUOTE]

Conner is useless. He is hardly a road grader as a FB and he has no ability to catch a ball. You might as well have a DT lined up in his place, it would be more effective.

Conner is fine, he was just overused, IMO. The pure FB is a dying position in today's NFL, todays NFL offenses are more about being versatile and Conner can't really do anything but block. Still, I think in goal line and obvious run downs, and obviously Special Teams, there's a role for Conner here.

Still, I don't really understand what they mean by "A" backs and "B" backs. Is that reflective of role? Depth Chart status? Something else? Who knows.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4452776]Will one of you ground and pound pundits, tell me how mere coaching is going to make us better then the 22nd rated running offense last year? Could someone tell me, how, in a league that is now pass oriented, we go to the ground and pound, WTF that is.[/QUOTE]

if they did you would not believe them anyway so they don't want to waste their time. :) :) :)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;4452871]Conner is fine, he was just overused, IMO. The pure FB is a dying position in today's NFL, todays NFL offenses are more about being versatile and Conner can't really do anything but block. Still, I think in goal line and obvious run downs, and obviously Special Teams, there's a role for Conner here.

Still, I don't really understand what they mean by "A" backs and "B" backs. Is that reflective of role? Depth Chart status? Something else? Who knows.[/QUOTE]

My guess is A backs are bruisers ?

B backs are 3rd down guys with better hands ?

Maybe reffering to the gaps they run thru...?

All League
    Conner is getting a little too much hate here. While not spectacular, he wasn't an issue last season and PFF even ranked him in the top 5 of FB's. Our run game wasn't as effective because Hunter isn't half of what Woody provided run blocking.