Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greene better watch his back with Gannaway...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Greene better watch his back with Gannaway...

I think Gannaway is bigger, faster and hungrier than Greene and he's a tremendos character and team leader. I see very little bust potential here, if he stays healthy we got ourselves a heck of a bellcow with runaway speed i might add.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the sentiment of the post, but where in these #'s do you see "runaway" speed?

40 Time: 4.67 40 Low: 4.54 40 High: 4.76

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He doesn't have runaway speed but he did run 4.5's at his proday and had a lot better build than at the combine. Says he was "injured" during combine. Not believing it, but atleast he did improve it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ridiculous statement.

Greene's the starter. Nuff said.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    his pro day was at Baylor.... a notoriously fast track.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may be wrong but I think.there is room for both Greene and Ganaway if he is any good..

How many series did Schotty doom to 3 and outs last year by using washed up LT as a rotational RB between the tackles (for 2 yds a carry) in recent seasons??

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no such thing as a 6th round bust. If Gannaway plays, it becomes a steal. If he doesn't, it means Greene is better than a 6th rounder.

Either way, I think there is a good chance this is Greene's last year with us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4453082]There is no such thing as a 6th round bust. If Gannaway plays, it becomes a steal. If he doesn't, it means Greene is better than a 6th rounder.

Either way, I think there is a good chance this is Greene's last year with us.[/QUOTE]

agreed. i think they drafted greene's replacement this year. they'll test out mcknight and powell to see if either can morph into a pass catching rb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bilal Powell year to shine.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It always surprises me when Greene's abilities are denigrated...this guy is the starter and a good football player.

It will be ground and pound by committee and Ganaway will be a complimentary back.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4453078]I may be wrong but I think.there is room for both Greene and Ganaway if he is any good..

How many series did Schotty doom to 3 and outs last year by using washed up LT as a rotational RB between the tackles (for 2 yds a carry) in recent seasons??

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Much as I desperately wanted Trent Richardson it's insane how down people are on Shonn Greene and you rightly point out that SG was so often successful despite the eccentric play-calling..... the guy just ran for more than a grand despite apparently being no good and running behind an O-line that is universally considered to have been poor last year. We've only scratched the surface with SG and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this time next year everyone is bemoaning the loss of Greene in FA after he blows it up in 2012

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Redlichtie;4453111]Much as I desperately wanted Trent Richardson it's insane how down people are on Shonn Greene and you rightly point out that SG was so often successful despite the eccentric play-calling..... the guy just ran for more than a grand despite apparently being no good and running behind an O-line that is universally considered to have been poor last year. We've only scratched the surface with SG and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this time next year everyone is bemoaning the loss of Greene in FA after he blows it up in 2012[/QUOTE]

It will be eye-opening to see how he does in Sparano's offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one who thinks its Joe McKnights year???

A rotation of McKnight and any one of Greene, Powell or Gannaway sounds like a plan to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tony Danza;4453144]Am I the only one who thinks its Joe McKnights year???

A rotation of McKnight and any one of Greene, Powell or Gannaway sounds like a plan to me.[/QUOTE]

i'd like to think they'll use him like miami used bush last year, as a pass catching rb rather than a between the tackles guy. sparano has always had rbs who can catch, and greene doesn't fit the mold. ganaway i've read has better hands than was used at baylor...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4453082]There is no such thing as a 6th round bust. If Gannaway plays, it becomes a steal. If he doesn't, it means Greene is better than a 6th rounder.

Either way, I think there is a good chance this is Greene's last year with us.[/QUOTE]

+1

G-Way comes striaght out of a Baylor option-heavy offense.
    He fits well with the return to G+P, Sparano's offense with the TT package.
    I loved what Greene did for us in the past but he did it as a number 2 back

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetlifer;4453109]It always surprises me when Greene's abilities are denigrated...this guy is the starter and a good football player.

It will be ground and pound by committee and Ganaway will be a complimentary back.[/QUOTE]

It's not that Greene's abilities are questioned; he is in a contract year, and we have three other running backs as of now. We might have another through a UDFA, and then there is FA and the draft next year. I don't think it will be worth paying Greene the money he will be asking for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4453112]It will be eye-opening to see how he does in Sparano's offense.[/QUOTE]

Hmm Bush had his first 1,000 yd season and 5 ypc for the Fins last year..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4453163]It's not that Greene's abilities are questioned; he is in a contract year, and we have three other running backs as of now. We might have another through a UDFA, and then there is FA and the draft next year. I don't think it will be worth paying Greene the money he will be asking for.[/QUOTE]

this plays into the prevailing nfl thoughts that rbs don't have that many productive years, why overpay him?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4453047]I think Gannaway is bigger, faster and hungrier than Greene and he's a tremendos character and team leader. I see very little bust potential here, if he stays healthy we got ourselves a heck of a bellcow with runaway speed i might add.[/QUOTE]

G-way is a very punishing runner. He initiates hits. In a Ground and Pound attactk that sytle is most useful. When the D is ground down that is when guys like Joe mcKnight shine best getting huge chuncks of real estate. g-way is also able to get some real estate but has a quirk in his run style centering around his feet. That somewhat limits his initial burst but once he gets up and going he is a terror for opposing defenses!

I am not going to run down Greene. he is hungry but had a dysfunctional OL last year and still did OK. This year with simplified blocking schemes its going to be more aggressive and I think Green, G-way and co are going to have a field day! This is a team game!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I laugh at the notion that 6th round draft picks are long shots.
    Back in the day, when I was walking five miles a day to school barefoot, the draft was twelve rounds and sixes were like threes today.

I think Greene and Ganaway are comparable speed wise, but Ganaway seems a bit lighter on his feet. Shiftier and appears to have some moves and a bit of wiggle. Nothing wrong with some depth for when Greene gets his inevitable injury.