Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do the Jets blame Schitty for Hunter?

Do the Jets blame Schitty for Hunter?

Rex seemed to mention certain guys do better then other in certain offenses. Do they think that Sparano will help Hunter in a big way? That has to be the reason they didnt take a tackle in this draft. A lot of times in games I would hear the announcers make mention that the Jets would never ever change their blocking protection when needed and this falls on Schitty. Maybe they are right, at least I hope so. If thats not what they are thinking I guess they can always pick up a veteran RT during roster cuts. Will be interesting because this could make or break the Jets this year and it will fall strictly on Mr T and Rex if this position is a major weakness like it was last year.

Hall Of Fame
    I think that's exactly what the Jets think. I'm not too happy to be going into the season with Hunter slated as the starter, but I do believe if it is the case, we stand a better chance of success simply because we tossed out the 'young genius' and his overly complicated playbook (finally!)

Best move of the entire off-season was dumping that idiot.

imo, schitty had a significant role. if a player struggles call a better play or put some help over there. and to be fair, hunter had some bad games but he also had some good games against some good defensive ends during the season.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;4453154]imo, schitty had a significant role. if a player struggles call a better play or put some help over there. and to be fair, hunter had some bad games but he also had some good games against some good defensive ends during the season.[/QUOTE]

almost as bad was having mulligan help him out. neither one could handle speed rushers in space. it was the worst combo out there.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... sounds like the RT position is still up for grabs ...

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_plan_to_hold_open_competition_I243ks3dfWGvJdrmUZzs2N[/url]

[QUOTE]
    Jets plan to hold 'open competition' at right tackle
    [/QUOTE]

... also, it sounds like mikey t is keeping his eye open for salary cap cuts still ...

[QUOTE]
    Tannenbaum said. " offensive line is something we'll continue to monitor over the next few weeks."
    [/QUOTE]

... if there is a RT cap casualty that we are able to get, i will do backflips with joy! :yes: ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 04-29-2012 at 09:02 AM.

it was a bad offseason to get a starting rt for the jets. not much in fa, and what was there was grossly overpriced and the jets couldn't spend it anyway. in the draft, the best in round 1 was reiff, and after that you're talking martin and adams in the 2nd. would much rather have hill in the 2nd than either of those guys. from the 3rd round and back you're basically talking developing a guy in a year or two.

jets did the smartest thing - draft according to their board. they seem to have addressed safety too, i was surprised they got guys that late who have a shot to contribute. so it's not like they have a ton of holes now. for all we know they can trade a dl for a rt prospect anyway. but that's what drafting well does - you have fewer holes/needs.

[QUOTE=freestater;4453152]I think that's exactly what the Jets think. I'm not too happy to be going into the season with Hunter slated as the starter, but I do believe if it is the case, we stand a better chance of success simply because we tossed out the 'young genius' and his overly complicated playbook (finally!)

Best move of the entire off-season was dumping that idiot.[/QUOTE]

So true.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;4453154]imo, schitty had a significant role. if a player struggles call a better play or put some help over there. and to be fair, hunter had some bad games but he also had some good games against some good defensive ends during the season.[/QUOTE]

Schotty NEVER gave him TE help. Not every player is Jonathon Ogden and Hunter is simply a guy that needed TE help and never got it.

Plus 2 other things....

1. Sanchez and other players said that the blocking schemes were too complicated and instead of being able to survey the defense sanchez was preoccupied with figuring out the blocking. This problem was exacerbated when Mangold went down.

2. We ran the exact same offense for 6 years. Other defenses knew when they could tee off and rush the passer vs playing the run. This is a big disadvantage for an OT, especially someone like hunter.

We need a better player at the position, but it simply might not be possible. But with TE help and a new offense keeping defenses more honest, I think sanchez will have a much better time of it this year.

[QUOTE=freestater;4453152]I think that's exactly what the Jets think. I'm not too happy to be going into the season with Hunter slated as the starter, but I do believe if it is the case, we stand a better chance of success simply because we tossed out the 'young genius' and his overly complicated playbook (finally!)

Best move of the entire off-season was dumping that idiot.[/QUOTE]

Amen. That move was long overdue. His goal line calls in the AFCCG cost us a chance to go to the SB. In particular a 1 yard slant:steamin:

What a pure and utter load of trash. Blaming the OC for every friggin int by the qb, every bad player is just foolish. Watch the games. Hunter got his rump beat one on one. He got beat by outside moves, he got beat by inside moves, he got beat by bull rushes.

You can say that the oc should have protected out weak and lousy rt by using a TE on that side but to blame him for hunters play is just totally foolish.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4453182]What a pure and utter load of trash. Blaming the OC for every friggin int by the qb, every bad player is just foolish. Watch the games. Hunter got his rump beat one on one. He got beat by outside moves, he got beat by inside moves, he got beat by bull rushes.

You can say that the oc should have protected out weak and lousy rt by using a TE on that side but to blame him for hunters play is just totally foolish.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is after Hunter filled in for Big Wood in 2010 how many here thought resigning him was a priority?? He did play like dog poop last year but the line as a whole stunk as well..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=LanceMehl;4453148]Rex seemed to mention certain guys do better then other in certain offenses. Do they think that Sparano will help Hunter in a big way? That has to be the reason they didnt take a tackle in this draft. A lot of times in games I would hear the announcers make mention that the Jets would never ever change their blocking protection when needed and this falls on Schitty. Maybe they are right, at least I hope so. If thats not what they are thinking I guess they can always pick up a veteran RT during roster cuts. Will be interesting because this could make or break the Jets this year and it will fall strictly on Mr T and Rex if this position is a major weakness like it was last year.[/QUOTE]

I wish we can get away from the constant Schottenheimer talk. He is gone. Done! Over! Finished!

This is a new era! Hunter had no OTAs or mini camp last year; he had a rookie center for a long span; he had a weakened Moore unable to assist him for a long time. This is a new year! A TE was assigned to help him but he too was bad and caused many penalties. Why blame an OC?

If Hunter can't do the job he will be replaced by Vlad/ Caleb/ Howard/ Landolt/ or whoever it takes. Plus I expect SANCHEZ to speed up his reading of defenses due to more familiarity with the defenses and our offense. Many sacks last year came about because he held onto the ball too long! I also think Callahan was fed up with his job last year! No OLmen seemed to make any progress.

This is still a team game!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 04-29-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Change can do some good. But we should not forget that the Dolphins were one of the worst pass blocking teams last year, far worse than the Jets. The idea that Sparano and his OL coach are going to work wonders is a little too much wishful thinking for me.

Schotty runs an offense similar to Spurrier and Cameron in which there is

limited protection for the qb. If you go back and watch some film in which

Hunter struggled, you will see that Schotty never gave Hunter help despite his

struggles.

I'm not saying Hunter is the guy, but he will play better with Sparano, who is

solely focused on protection.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4453227]Schotty runs an offense similar to Spurrier and Cameron in which there is

limited protection for the qb. If you go back and watch some film in which

Hunter struggled, you will see that Schotty never gave Hunter help despite his

struggles.

I'm not saying Hunter is the guy,[B] but he will play better with Sparano, who is

solely focused on protection[/B].[/QUOTE]

Maybe he can give Cro a few tips as well...:P

Hall Of Fame
    it's nice to see the defenders of the young genius haven't lost their zeal. :rolleyes:

Schottentology has more staying-power than Pennintology.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4453191]I wish we can get away from the [B][I][U]constant[/U][/I][/B] Schottenheimer talk. He is gone. Done! Over! Finished![/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/tebow4-e1332806276407.jpg?w=215[/IMG]

[QUOTE=freestater;4453297][IMG]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/tebow4-e1332806276407.jpg?w=215[/IMG][/QUOTE]

The reason I bring him up is because we didnt draft a RT and was wondering if thats what they were thinking. Most of us on here thought a RT was a definite and they obviously didnt think they needed one.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=freestater;4453293]it's nice to see the defenders of the young genius haven't lost their zeal. :rolleyes:

Schottentology has more staying-power than Pennintology.[/QUOTE]

It is if the facts act like holy water to Vampires to these Schotty defenders!!!!

[B]FOR THE RECORD: Saying that Schotty's complicated schemes resulted in poor and perdictable play from the Jets on many occasions does NOT mean that Sanchez is Johnny Unitas and did not play poorly at crucial times last year or that Hunter wasn't an utter disaster last year!!!!![/B]!

Good Grief!!!!:eek:
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.

[QUOTE=Savage69;4453188]Funny thing is after Hunter filled in for Big Wood in 2010 how many here thought resigning him was a priority?? He did play like dog poop last year but the line as a whole stunk as well..[/QUOTE]

this to me hits it on the head.

i'm not excusing hunter, but the whole offensive line really was subpar, with hunter as the glaring weakness.

i do believe the schemes and offensive approach had a lot to do with this though.