Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush and Allen will end up starting by midseason

Bush and Allen will end up starting by midseason

Not because I think they are great prospects, though they can be pretty decent, but more of because what we have is so terrible. When Landry gets hurt in Week 5 Allen will take over for him. We all know how bad Smith is, so it wouldn't surprise me if Bush beats him out in training camp.

I actually think Antonio Allen will turn out to be a very good player in the NFL. I think he's going to do very well here.

And your reasoning makes sense. Of course I hope that Landry stays healthy, but I do like how our safety situation looks coming out of the draft. I do want Bell signed though. If they do that or bring back Jimmy Leonhard then I think we've upgraded our safety position with guys who can read and react, stuff the run and cover the TE.

I was thinking this myself after the draft.

Same here, I will be stunned if Landry is healthy for the whole season

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4453585]Same here, I will be stunned if Landry is healthy for the whole season[/QUOTE]

there's certainly the risk...with that said I wonder how often they plan on rotating him to try and keep him healthy all year. Obviously, if they rotate him our rooks will get good time from the get go.

Veteran
    I think Josh Bush was drafted to replace Jim Leonhard. He's intelligent and played in a complex defense at Wake. He's similar to Leonhard in athlethic abilty and intelligence.
    Last edited by JETFAN1; 04-29-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Anyone remember Erik Coleman coming out of left field in 2004? Pray Jets fans, PRAY.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetsfanmack;4453360]Not because I think they are great prospects, though they can be pretty decent, but more of because what we have is so terrible. [I][B]When Landry gets hurt in Week 5[/B][/I] Allen will take over for him. We all know how bad Smith is, so it wouldn't surprise me if Bush beats him out in training camp.[/QUOTE]

Your logic is so azz backwards... How can you be a JETS fan, but then deem setbacks to our progress... Regardless of if you think those dudes are great depth players, why wish harm on one of our starters...

[QUOTE=HoustonJET;4453655]Your logic is so azz backwards... How can you be a JETS fan, but then deem setbacks to our progress... Regardless of if you think those dudes are great depth players, why wish harm on one of our starters...[/QUOTE]

Eh? Never once did he wish harm on anyone, he speculated that a player playing a tough position that gets hurt most years will get hurt again. He's not wishing for it.

All League
    I actually believe Landry is going to stay healthy and have a huge year for us and Bush is going to supplant Smith as starter at FS by maybe week 1.

[QUOTE=Woody56;4453664]I actually believe Landry is going to stay healthy and have a huge year for us and Bush is going to supplant Smith as starter at FS by maybe week 1.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read about Bush, I could see him starting in the first game. Not because he's a tremendous talent (though I think he's good) but because there's no competition at FS on the roster. Eric Smith did not play well last year. And Smith is a SS only.

As to Landry, the recent past is the best predictor. And he's lost a lot of games in the past two years due to injury. So I think anything he adds this season is almost a bonus.

Banned
    [QUOTE=HoustonJET;4453655]Your logic is so azz backwards... How can you be a JETS fan, but then deem setbacks to our progress... Regardless of if you think those dudes are great depth players, why wish harm on one of our starters...[/QUOTE]

Injuries are part of the game, they will always happen.

Landry is coming off one of the most severe injuries a NFL player could have.

He didn't say he "wishes" injury on Landry, but with his past history, odds are very strong he goes down.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think both will. One might.

Lets just hope Jim Leonhard is able to play. A lot of new faces in the secondary, we need someone to line them up.

I think the nickel/dime/quarter with Revis, Cro, Leonard, Wilson and Allen or Smith or Landry is pretty decent. Also throw in the rookie Davis. Wish we still had Cole. It is nice to have a player familiar with the system.

I expect them to try and bracket some TEs with Allen and Davis.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-29-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfanmack;4453360]Not because I think they are great prospects, though they can be pretty decent, but more of because what we have is so terrible. When Landry gets hurt in Week 5 Allen will take over for him. We all know how bad Smith is, so it wouldn't surprise me if Bush beats him out in training camp.[/QUOTE]

:zzz::zzz::zzz: I think Allen is a very good player. He was projected to go in RD 3 but his position in college scared off many teams. REX knows talent and he wanted him. That is good enough for me. Other guys knew about Bush and felt that he is a very heady player with good skills. Rex wanted him too. Enough said!

Those terrible Jets players you wrote about were good enough to get us to the AFC Championship game two years in a row. I hated the injuries to Leonhard but I do think Smith can be replaced very easily at this stage of the game. Look for Antonio Allen to take Smith's job BECAUSE he is a very good prospect and able to go sideline to sideline and lay huge hits on people.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 04-29-2012 at 04:37 PM.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4453708]:zzz::zzz::zzz: I think Allen is a very good player. He was projected to go in RD 3 but his position in college scared off many teams. REX knows talent and he wanted him. That is good enough for me. Other guys knew about Bush and felt that he is a very heady player with good skills. Rex wanted him too. Enough said!

Those terrible Jets players you wrote about were good enough to get us to the AFC Championship game two years in a row. I hated the injuries to Leonhard but I do think Smith can be replaced very easily at this stage of the game. Look for Antonio Allen to take Smith's job BECAUSE he is a very good prospect and able to go sideline to sideline and lay huge hits on people.[/QUOTE]

Aren't Allen and Landry both strong safeties? It seems like Josh Bush will push for the FS spot, and Landry will take over for Smitty at SS.

nickle package will be

CB: Revis Cromartie Wilson

FS: Bush

SS: Landry

ILB: Davis

That looks pretty good !

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsman51;4453720]Aren't Allen and Landry both strong safeties? It seems like Josh Bush will push for the FS spot, and Landry will take over for Smitty at SS.[/QUOTE]

Allen can play center field or in the box. He did not play a traditional position at SC. They called it the spur I think. He was up close to the LOS most of the time.Plus he is a very good blitzer. The kid we got as an UDFA from Penn Stae- D. Lynn will be moved to FS as well. The point is we now have some good prospects to solve our needs at safety.

I do think Smiths days are numbered with our team. I am hoping that jim Leonhard is healthy and able to come back. He calls the plays back there. Very smart guy and Bush coming from Wake Forest is also known as a smart guy and in time could call the plays. Lets go Jets! We shall see and I am excited for the direction we are headed in.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 04-29-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4453746]Allen can play center field or in the box. He did not play a traditional position at SC. They called it the spur I think. He was up close to the LOS most of the time.Plus he is a very good blitzer. The kid we got as an UDFA from Penn Stae- D. Lynn will be moved to FS as well. The point is we now have some good prospects to solve our needs at safety.

I do think Smiths days are numbered with our team. I am hoping that jim Leonhard is healthy and able to come back. He calls the plays back there. Very smart guy and Bush coming from Wake Forest is also known as a smart guy and in time could call the plays. Lets go Jets! We shall see and I am excited for the direction we are headed in.[/QUOTE]

These kid almost HAVE to work out for us. The next option would be camp cuts. Another year of horid safety play would be unbearable.

[QUOTE=jetsonly;4453754]These kid almost HAVE to work out for us. The next option would be camp cuts. Another year of horid safety play would be unbearable.[/QUOTE]

And lead us into the lower half of the draft

I still think the Jets bring back Leonhard, they can go with 5 safeties. They like extra DBs.