Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex and defensive drafted players.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex and defensive drafted players.

In Rex we must trust guys. Since he has become the head coach, all the players he has drafted so far has not been busts and are already contributing. 2009 were all offensive players.

2010 was Kyle Wilson who is finally showing the kind of football player he really is. I think it's safe to say now that after last season Kyle Wilson is not a bust.

2011 Muhamud Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis. Wilkerson has already shown he has stud written all over him and with a full off season under his belt I am willing to bet he's going to be a beast. Ellis obviously the jury is still out on. We won't have a good idea about him until we see him in action this year.

So really since Rex has been here we have drafted mostly offensive players. Every defensive pick that Rex has made since he's been here minus Ellis have played well for us. So I'm going to trust in Rex Ryan that every defensive player he drafted this year will turn out to be good. For the record I hated the copples pick and wanted Ingram in the worst way, but after seeing this guy they got in the 3rd round they obviously passed on Ingram for that reason.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need immediate impact players. We may have found at least 2-4 in this years draft.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I have to trust Rex knows what he's doing with this team. If he gets copples to click, he's going to be a force and our line is going to be hard to stop.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    All we are hearing is how much potential Coples has and how Rex can mold him.
    Ingram was there and was taken by San Diego at 18. Ingram better not have 10+ sacks and Coples has 0 because Rex and Tanny won't be able to recover from that scenario. The Coples pick is one that Tanny and Rex can ride to a Super Bowl or watch their careers go bye-bye!:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LI JET FAN;4453457]All we are hearing is how much potential Coples has and how Rex can mold him.
    Ingram was there and was taken by San Diego at 18. Ingram better not have 10+ sacks and Coples has 0 because Rex and Tanny won't be able to recover from that scenario. The Coples pick is one that Tanny and Rex can ride to a Super Bowl or watch their careers go bye-bye!:yes:[/QUOTE]

You do get that they are going to be doing different things in different styles of defense, right? Just because Coples may or may not get 10 sacks while Ingram may or may not get more than that doesn't really have a bearing on their overall success based on what they are asked to do and what position they are playing

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nybaseball5;4453418]In Rex we must trust guys. Since he has become the head coach, all the players he has drafted so far has not been busts and are already contributing. 2009 were all offensive players.

2010 was Kyle Wilson who is finally showing the kind of football player he really is. I think it's safe to say now that after last season Kyle Wilson is not a bust.

2011 Muhamud Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis. Wilkerson has already shown he has stud written all over him and with a full off season under his belt I am willing to bet he's going to be a beast. Ellis obviously the jury is still out on. We won't have a good idea about him until we see him in action this year.

So really since Rex has been here we have drafted mostly offensive players. Every defensive pick that Rex has made since he's been here minus Ellis have played well for us. So I'm going to trust in Rex Ryan that every defensive player he drafted this year will turn out to be good. For the record I hated the copples pick and wanted Ingram in the worst way, but after seeing this guy they got in the 3rd round they obviously passed on Ingram for that reason.[/QUOTE]

So "every" pick on D has played well but Ellis, aka, 2 guys have played well? And it's not like Wilson and Wilkerson are obvious hits. Way too early to grade them.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It wasn't just the Jets..... 13 other teams passed on Ingram. The Jets did what most fans have been clamoring for them to do, they took the best player available..... just because he wasn't who the fans thought was the best player, doesn't make them wrong. I hear a lot of Giants envy from Jets fans.... well, the Giants stockpile d-linemen, and receive acclaim for it...... the Jets do the same thing, they're criticized for drafting at an area of strength. I like the Coples pick.... I trust that Ryan and Pettine will use him in many different ways. Just because they play in a base 3-4, that doesn't mean that only 3 d-linemen can play at once..... they play A LOT of 4 and 5 man fronts. Ingram and Coples have nothing to do with eachother..... they're play should not be compared. If Ingram gets 10 sacks as a rookie and Coples only gets 2 (but he helps Maybin get 10 and Mo get 6), should he be called a bust because Ingram had more sacks? Hell no..... there's plenty of ways for Coples to be successful.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Laxman;4453482]It wasn't just the Jets..... 13 other teams passed on Ingram. The Jets did what most fans have been clamoring for them to do, they took the best player available..... just because he wasn't who the fans thought was the best player, doesn't make them wrong. I hear a lot of Giants envy from Jets fans.... well, the Giants stockpile d-linemen, and receive acclaim for it...... the Jets do the same thing, they're criticized for drafting at an area of strength. I like the Coples pick.... I trust that Ryan and Pettine will use him in many different ways. Just because they play in a base 3-4, that doesn't mean that only 3 d-linemen can play at once..... they play A LOT of 4 and 5 man fronts. Ingram and Coples have nothing to do with eachother..... they're play should not be compared. [B]If Ingram gets 10 sacks as a rookie and Coples only gets 2 (but he helps Maybin get 10 and Mo get 6), should he be called a bust because Ingram had more sacks? Hell no..... there's plenty of ways for Coples to be successful.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Rex said it's not only about Coples getting production but helping others get production as well..:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like that Rex has so much input on who we draft. There's a whole team of scouts that spend their entire year evaluating players, Tannenbaum should rely on them for player rankings. Rex should stick to coaching, he's still learning how to be a head coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4453499]I don't like that Rex has so much input on who we draft. There's a whole team of scouts that spend their entire year evaluating players, Tannenbaum should rely on them for player rankings. Rex should stick to coaching, he's still learning how to be a head coach.[/QUOTE]

Where do you get the fact that Rex has so much imput?? :confused:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nybaseball5;4453418]In Rex we must trust guys. Since he has become the head coach, all the players he has drafted so far has not been busts and are already contributing. 2009 were all offensive players.

So really since Rex has been here we have drafted mostly offensive players. [B]Every defensive pick that Rex has made since he's been here minus Ellis have played well for us[/B]. So I'm going to trust in Rex Ryan that every defensive player he drafted this year will turn out to be good. For the record I hated the copples pick and wanted Ingram in the worst way, but after seeing this guy they got in the 3rd round they obviously passed on Ingram for that reason.[/QUOTE]

Kyle Wilson has not "played well."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has been OK. Not terrible, but certainly not amazing either.

[B][U]Wilson[/U][/B] - Not a "bust" but he definitely is not the player they thought he would be. He was drafted to be #2 along Revis.

[B][U]Wilkerson[/U][/B] - Solid pick. I think he may turn out better than expected. What I like most is you can actually see the improvements he made throughout the season. I think once he got used to the physicality of the NFL he really played well. I think in the beginning he was slightly overwhelmed, especially in the run game.

[B][U]Ellis[/U][/B] - TBD. As of right now, he has been a slight disappointment. He was inactive for quite a few games. He was supposedly a first-round talent. First-round talents should not be healthy scratches for games. He should improve this year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4453499]I don't like that Rex has so much input on who we draft. There's a whole team of scouts that spend their entire year evaluating players, Tannenbaum should rely on them for player rankings. Rex should stick to coaching, he's still learning how to be a head coach.[/QUOTE]

This may be the stupidest comment made. They have to work together in order for it to work. All successful teams have a front office and coaching staff that work TOGETHER. It was interesting on ESPN before & during the draft talk about how well the two work together.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4453501]Where do you get the fact that Rex has so much imput?? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we've had offensive oriented drafts since he's been here. The only O player we know he had influence on drafting was Connor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you know Tanny doesn't?

I doubt if its time for the Jets to pick and Rex says, "I want player X" but the scouts have a later round grade for the player that Tanny will side with Rex and take that player at that point...

Tanny has said in the past for each pick in that round he usually has 5-6 players in mind...That's why they traded up in round 5 last year to take Kerley..Tanny said his list of 5-6 players for their pick in round 5 was evaporating so he traded up to get him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetsfootballguy;4453465]So "every" pick on D has played well but Ellis, aka, 2 guys have played well? And it's not like Wilson and Wilkerson are obvious hits. Way too early to grade them.[/QUOTE]

I understand it's a small sample size, but thus far, Wilkerson and wilson have not disappointed.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4453507]Rex has been OK. Not terrible, but certainly not amazing either.

[B][U]Wilson[/U][/B] - Not a "bust" but he definitely is not the player they thought he would be. He was drafted to be #2 along Revis.

[B][U]Wilkerson[/U][/B] - Solid pick. I think he may turn out better than expected. What I like most is you can actually see the improvements he made throughout the season. I think once he got used to the physicality of the NFL he really played well. I think in the beginning he was slightly overwhelmed, especially in the run game.

[B][U]Ellis[/U][/B] - TBD. As of right now, he has been a slight disappointment. He was inactive for quite a few games. He was supposedly a first-round talent. First-round talents should not be healthy scratches for games. He should improve this year.[/QUOTE]

I bet if Wilson has a stellar year, cromartie gets cut next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson played very well last year.

And Rex needs as many man coverage corners as possible. We'll likely keep Kyle and Cro until Kyle's rookie contract is up and then we'll make a choice.

But he was a good pick, a value pick, at the end of the first. Not many press man cover corners last to to the end of the first.

Wilkerson had a very good rookie year - 50 tackles, 3 sacks and 1 safety and 1 FF. Remember too, he made the jump from DII to the NFL. That's a nice rookie season for a 5 technique. Richard Seymour has 44 tackles, 3 sacks and a FR in his rookie season... Mo's in good company.

Kenrick Ellis has barely seen the field. We don't know WTF is going on with his court case either. The jury is still out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nybaseball5;4453568]I bet if Wilson has a stellar year, cromartie gets cut next year.[/QUOTE]

I bet you aren't part of the Jets coaching staff or front office

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4453608]I bet you aren't part of the Jets coaching staff or front office[/QUOTE]

I bet that your right. That's what these forums are for. Discussion. I don't know what the dead money would be if cro was cut next season. I thought they structured his deal so that after 2-3 years, he was cuttable. I would have to check jetscap page.