Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Carrying Man Ends Stabbing Spree

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4454585]Really? When did I say anything of the sort?[/QUOTE]

You're kidding right?

You and Plumber were constructing gallows five minutes after the Zimmerman/Martin story broke....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;4454595]You're kidding right?

You and Plumber were constructing gallows five minutes after the Zimmerman/Martin story broke....[/QUOTE]

That is absolute bs, I stated what I thought the state could charge and how poorly it was handled. Nothing about guilt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4454549]the amount of people who legally take their pistol out to avoid trouble goes unreported.
    guns keep the peace. if i know people around me are carrying, i dont even give the finger when cut off anymore[/QUOTE]

Because giving the finger to someone who has a gun might get you shot is keeping the peace? Great idea.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4454648]Because giving the finger to someone who has a gun might get you shot is keeping the peace? Great idea.[/QUOTE]

absolutely. its a dumb idea to start with anyone. gun or no gun.

it works

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad the guy didn't blow the stabber's head off...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4454674]Too bad the guy didn't blow the stabber's head off...[/QUOTE]

No one could argue he didn't have the right to protect others, including himself from harm.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4454396]Out of almost 13,000 murders in the US in 2010 almost 9,000 of them were committed by someone with a gun.[/QUOTE]

How many of those people had licenses to carry the firearms they used? Point being is that most guns used in shootings are unlicensed and/or unlawfully obtained in the first place. It doesn't make a senseless death justified but you are more likely to be shot by an armed criminal unlawfully possessing a firearm than a citizen lawfully carrying a firearm.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;4454580]Good point. So what is boils down to is who is in possession of the gun... not the gun itself..[/QUOTE]

Yes . . . and no. Part of the problem is that some weapons will do worse damage than others when in the hands of the wrong people. A psycho like Jared Lochner is a lot more dangerous with a bazooka than with a machine gun, with a machine gun than a pistol, with a 40 shot clip than a 6 round revolver, etc.

It's a balancing act - you need to weigh people's rights to bear arms and the potentially salutary uses of guns (stopping robbers, feeding family, etc.) against the negative impact when the wrong person gets his hands on a gun.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4454723]Yes . . . and no. Part of the problem is that some weapons will do worse damage than others when in the hands of the wrong people. A psycho like Jared Lochner is a lot more dangerous with a bazooka than with a machine gun, with a machine gun than a pistol, with a 40 shot clip than a 6 round revolver, etc.

It's a balancing act - you need to weigh people's rights to bear arms and the potentially salutary uses of guns (stopping robbers, feeding family, etc.) against the negative impact when the wrong person gets his hands on a gun.[/QUOTE]

fair, but the right to bear arms was included so that people could defeat their own military should govt decide to turn against them. thats all pretty clear in the federalist papers. so really, asking for a ak with a 30 round clip is not asking too much imo.

besides there are tens of thousands of these out there. maybe more. there is no gun problem in this country. in some areas? yea, but that is unavoidable. in 95% of the rest of the nation? nobody lives in daily fear of being shot. if they did, i would agree with you and look for a solution

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4454723]
    It's a balancing act - you need to weigh people's rights to bear arms and the potentially salutary uses of guns (stopping robbers, feeding family, etc.) against the negative impact when the wrong person gets his hands on a gun.[/QUOTE]

There is not and never will be a law that will prevent a criminal from carrying a gun.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4454549]the amount of people who legally take their pistol out to avoid trouble goes unreported.
    guns keep the peace. [B]if i know people around me are carrying, i dont even give the finger when cut off anymore[/B][/QUOTE]

This is an argument [I][B]against[/B][/I] gun control? That you're worried about being shot for giving someone the finger?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4454688]How many of those people had licenses to carry the firearms they used? Point being is that most guns used in shootings are unlicensed and/or unlawfully obtained in the first place. It doesn't make a senseless death justified but you are more likely to be shot by an armed criminal unlawfully possessing a firearm than a citizen lawfully carrying a firearm.[/QUOTE]

Many. I'd be more in favor of less gun regulation if every gun manufactured was required to deposit a ballistic signature with the FBI so any registered gun used in a murder could be easily identified.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4454755]There is not and never will be a law that will prevent a criminal from carrying a gun.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. If you're talking about folks whose "job", as it were, is to be a criminal, or the "lone gunman" adult who plans then executes a murder spree, then sure, I agree. They'll find a weapon somehow. But if you're talking about the guy who snaps, the person who brings out a gun in a domestic dispute, the one who shoots someone for giving them the finger - no, that's just not true. The question - and its one that really cries out for real study - is how many gun crimes are really "I would have a gun no matter what the law is" crimes and how many are "restriction x would have prevented/lessened the carnage".

It's as foolish to presume that nothing would be any different with stricter gun laws as it is to presume everything would be different

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4454688]How many of those people had licenses to carry the firearms they used? Point being is that most guns used in shootings are unlicensed and/or unlawfully obtained in the first place. It doesn't make a senseless death justified but you are more likely to be shot by an armed criminal unlawfully possessing a firearm than a citizen lawfully carrying a firearm.[/QUOTE]

How do you know that? The gun lobby is making it near impossible to stop the gun manufacturers from distributing guns to dealers who are selling guns to criminals. As more and more states pass the unrestricted gun carry laws, something the gun lobby is pushing for, why would it be illegal for anyone to carry?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4454787]This is an argument [I][B]against[/B][/I] gun control? That you're worried about being shot for giving someone the finger?[/QUOTE]

what im saying is that ive lived in anti-gun areas and pro-gun areas. anti-gun areas are full of hotheads and fistfights. areas where guns are easy, people are way more calm and turn the other cheek as opposed to getting loud and physical about trivial nonsense

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4454802]How do you know that? The gun lobby is making it near impossible to stop the gun manufacturers from distributing guns to dealers who are selling guns to criminals. As more and more states pass the unrestricted gun carry laws, something the gun lobby is pushing for, why would it be illegal for anyone to carry?[/QUOTE]

who are these "dealers" who are selling illegal guns or guns to criminals? thats just silly hogwash. dealers are businesses and there is plenty of business to be had. no way would any dealer risk a safe, profitable life just to get an illegal sale. they will throw you out of the store in a hearbeat...

besides, everyone has to "wait" and be processed

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4454821]who are these "dealers" who are selling illegal guns or guns to criminals? thats just silly hogwash. dealers are businesses and there is plenty of business to be had. no way would any dealer risk a safe, profitable life just to get an illegal sale. they will throw you out of the store in a hearbeat...

besides, everyone has to "wait" and be processed[/QUOTE]

They have traced back guns used in crimes to dealers over and over again. The gun manufacturers are absolutely knowingly selling guns to dealers who sell them to criminals.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4454826]They have traced back guns used in crimes to dealers over and over again. The gun manufacturers are absolutely knowingly selling guns to dealers who sell them to criminals.[/QUOTE]

really? maybe person a buys a gun legally, his house gets robbed and the gun winds up in person b's hand.

no way any dealer sells to criminals. have you ever been inside a gun shop? business is good, with responsible, law abiding hard working americans from all slices of life eager to buy another toy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4454836]really? maybe person a buys a gun legally, his house gets robbed and the gun winds up in person b's hand.

no way any dealer sells to criminals. have you ever been inside a gun shop? business is good, with responsible, law abiding hard working americans from all slices of life eager to buy another toy.[/QUOTE]

Straw purchase sales of guns are made by dealers all the time.

[url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ahhhhh straw purchases.

ok so a person legally able to buy a gun buys one from a dealer. legal.

then, that person does something illegal after he leaves the shop.

a problem? yes.

but what did the dealers do wrong?