Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Speed

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Game Speed

OK this is a little bit of a rant but related to our draft.

WAY WAY too much emphasis is placed on a players 40 time and I think it is completely ridiculous.

Think about this. Players are SIGNIFICANTLY downgraded in draft position based purely on their 40 time. In fact, it goes so far that players that scouts and analysts that thought a player was fast on tape and then runs a "disappointing" 40 time can lose several rounds of draft grade, yet another player that plays somewhat slower on the field pulls out a 4.3 and his draft value skyrockets.

It drives me nuts. The yard dash is a track event and requires track skills. Yes, they get taught on better track technique before the combine but we are talking about .2 secs meaning 1st round or 5th, and if you just do not have a track background you are going to lose a tenth regardless of the track training you do.

Players should be graded on what they do on the field. Running in shorts is completely different than running in 15lbs of pads. I mean, a pound or two can mean a huge difference in a thoroughbreds time, yet will completely discount what an order of magnitude of additional weight can have on a players speed.

Game speed is all that matters. Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 yes 4.71 in the 40. If he did that today regardless of his production he would be lucky to be drafted, but back then it was much less important. On the field though did anyone EVER catch him from behind? Rice's game speed was phenomenal.

Straight line speed should be measured from a standing WR position and should be in pads. Ideally there would be a big obstacle to run away and the last 20 yards or so would be angled like a post. THAT would be a valid measure of speed.

Interestingly, I think the 40 speed nonsense really helped us with some of our day 3 picks.

Ganaway has MUCH better game speed than his 40 time. He said in the Senior Bowl clip that he had never been caught from behind EVER.

Jordan White is another that played much much faster than his 40 time. His highlight reel that is going around is from ONE GAME. He is always open and always has separation. If he ran 4.4 in the combine he would have been a second round pick at worst, because he is EXCEPTIONAL at all other aspects of being a receiver. He will be a starter for the Jets

Josh Bush is viewed as average speed yet he supposedly "closes" really well on plays. Again game speed.

I think in three years we will look at this draft as one of our strongest ever. And we can thank the bias to 40 yard time over game speed to allow us to draft some fantastic players in later rounds.

I have never been as excited with a draft class as this one for the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've watched Joe adams run away from defenders for four years and get open against the sec's best.(Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, Laron Landry)
    Yet a 4.51 at the combine moved him to a 4th rnd pick and he ends up a Carolina. That's where people go to retire, like Florida. Sux

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that we got players with great game tape in the later rounds. This draft haul has left me feeling more excited than the last few. I'm no draft expert so that isn't necessarily a good thing but besides Robert Griffin I really expect all of our picks to contribute in some fashion this year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Demario runs a fast 40 and plays like it on the field. I'm telling you we miss that sideline to sideline speed badly. We should definitely see an improvement there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best draft in a long while.Allen,Bush,Lynn,Fletcher,and Steed should add great depth to our defensive backfield.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=johnnysd;4453933]OK this is a little bit of a rant but related to our draft.

WAY WAY too much emphasis is placed on a players 40 time and I think it is completely ridiculous.

Think about this. Players are SIGNIFICANTLY downgraded in draft position based purely on their 40 time. In fact, it goes so far that players that scouts and analysts that thought a player was fast on tape and then runs a "disappointing" 40 time can lose several rounds of draft grade, yet another player that plays somewhat slower on the field pulls out a 4.3 and his draft value skyrockets.

It drives me nuts. The yard dash is a track event and requires track skills. Yes, they get taught on better track technique before the combine but we are talking about .2 secs meaning 1st round or 5th, and if you just do not have a track background you are going to lose a tenth regardless of the track training you do.

Players should be graded on what they do on the field. Running in shorts is completely different than running in 15lbs of pads. I mean, a pound or two can mean a huge difference in a thoroughbreds time, yet will completely discount what an order of magnitude of additional weight can have on a players speed.

Game speed is all that matters. Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 yes 4.71 in the 40. If he did that today regardless of his production he would be lucky to be drafted, but back then it was much less important. On the field though did anyone EVER catch him from behind? Rice's game speed was phenomenal.

Straight line speed should be measured from a standing WR position and should be in pads. Ideally there would be a big obstacle to run away and the last 20 yards or so would be angled like a post. THAT would be a valid measure of speed.

Interestingly, I think the 40 speed nonsense really helped us with some of our day 3 picks.

Ganaway has MUCH better game speed than his 40 time. He said in the Senior Bowl clip that he had never been caught from behind EVER.

Jordan White is another that played much much faster than his 40 time. His highlight reel that is going around is from ONE GAME. He is always open and always has separation. If he ran 4.4 in the combine he would have been a second round pick at worst, because he is EXCEPTIONAL at all other aspects of being a receiver. He will be a starter for the Jets

Josh Bush is viewed as average speed yet he supposedly "closes" really well on plays. Again game speed.

I think in three years we will look at this draft as one of our strongest ever. And we can thank the bias to 40 yard time over game speed to allow us to draft some fantastic players in later rounds.

I have never been as excited with a draft class as this one for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Agree a billion percent.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=johnnysd;4453933]OK this is a little bit of a rant but related to our draft.

I have never been as excited with a draft class as this one for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Tony Pauline said as much on tonights JI Podcast.

I'm feeling hopeful!

-

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldnt not possibly agree with this whole past anymore. I literally had said to my roomate 30 minutes ago it is just flat out ridiculous that the 40 yard dash is done in sweatpants and a t- shirt. Some guys adjust much better than others in running at full speed with all the equipment on. I have watched a lot of football and I have never seen in any game anyone on the field in sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Players run in shorts because it's a relative test. The intent is to see which players are faster than other players given exactly the same test conditions. And it's assumed that faster players in shorts will be faster players in pads. It's just one of the ways NFL teams use to objectively measure speed (and to a lesser extent athleticism).

That being said, your point is a good one that the 40 at the Combine is sometimes overvalued. If a prospect doesn't run well for whatever reason (is sick that day, fatigued, etc) the ramifications can be tremendous. That's why scouts also factor in the other running tests (3 cone, shuttle), the leaping tests to measure explosiveness (broad and vertical jumps) and the pro day 40's.

Kendal Wright from Baylor this year is a perfect example. Game tape on the guy said he's a burner. His Combine shuttle and 3 cone tests were also very good as was his explosiveness in the jumps. But his 40 at the Combine was a slow 4.61. There's obviously a disconnect there.

When Wright ran at his pro day he clocked a 4.41. That was much more in line with what the scouts were seeing when they watched him play. As a consequence he was selected in the first round as his talent and on-field productivity suggested he should be. Any team that downgraded him simply because of the poor Combine 40 without taking into account any other information was just plain stupid.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 04-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;4454616]Players run in shorts because it's a relative test. .[/QUOTE]

Understood, but it not a meaningful relative test because they assumption that a faster player in shorts is a faster player in pads. Just not true in my view. Pads weigh a lot , and strength comes into play into how well you can run laden down with all that weight.

Pads are standard. Stand them up in pads and run they 40 and that is a stronger relative test, as well as a stronger real world test.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;4454616]Players run in shorts because it's a relative test. The intent is to see which players are faster than other players given exactly the same test conditions. And it's assumed that faster players in shorts will be faster players in pads. It's just one of the ways NFL teams use to objectively measure speed (and to a lesser extent athleticism).

That being said, your point is a good one that the 40 at the Combine is sometimes overvalued. If a prospect doesn't run well for whatever reason (is sick that day, fatigued, etc) the ramifications can be tremendous. That's why scouts also factor in the other running tests (3 cone, shuttle), the leaping tests to measure explosiveness (broad and vertical jumps) and the pro day 40's.

Kendal Wright from Baylor this year is a perfect example. Game tape on the guy said he's a burner. His Combine shuttle and 3 cone tests were also very good as was his explosiveness in the jumps. But his 40 at the Combine was a slow 4.61. There's obviously a disconnect there.

When Wright ran at his pro day he clocked a 4.41. That was much more in line with what the scouts were seeing when they watched him play. As a consequence he was selected in the first round as his talent and on-field productivity suggested he should be. Any team that downgraded him simply because of the poor Combine 40 without taking into account any other information was just plain stupid.[/QUOTE]

Great example.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although this would never happen it would be great to get 40 times for established players 5 years or more after they have been in the league. Some of them, including pro bowlers would probably have eye poppingly slow 40 times.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=johnnysd;4454860]Understood, but it not a meaningful relative test because they assumption that a faster player in shorts is a faster player in pads. Just not true in my view. Pads weigh a lot , and strength comes into play into how well you can run laden down with all that weight.

Pads are standard. Stand them up in pads and run they 40 and that is a stronger relative test, as well as a stronger real world test.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe running in pads would make that much of a difference. Plus there's the hassle of having to have all of that gear available for players to run in. That would be a pain.

Most important might be that players have always run in shorts. So scouts can easily compare candidates against players in the past. And certain benchmarks are well established:

an OL or DL faster than 5.0 is very good

RB should be in the 4.5 range or less

Top CB and WR are 4.4 range

The fastest guy in the draft will run in the 4.3's

You'd have to adjust all of that comparison framework which would be a pain. So there is a strong incentive to just keep the evaluation system exactly as it has been done before.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4454928]Although this would never happen it would be great to get 40 times for established players 5 years or more after they have been in the league. Some of them, including pro bowlers would probably have eye poppingly slow 40 times.[/QUOTE]

Some big NT's would struggle to run the 40 yards. Especially if you did this towards the end of the season!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

You know your football, good post

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the philosophy about getting more team speed. we totally needed it. Most of the guys seemed pretty season too. can they hack with the big boys? we'll see, but I am feeling good about the class of rooks.

Good NFL scouts and execs get a lot what they need to know speed-wise about players from tape. it isn't hard to see a guy stand out. But it kind of amazes me that teams still use some of this combine stuff as much as they do. When guys jump from relative obscurity to the first b/c of the combine (Poe and a certain unnamed person we'll call V. Gholston -- nah, that's too easy, how about Vernon G.). some teams should be embarrassed by some of these picks.

I also love when they talk about a guy's height. Shouldn't they measure guys from the ground to his eye level? Doesn't that make more sense?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4454928]Although this would never happen it would be great to get 40 times for established players 5 years or more after they have been in the league. Some of them, including pro bowlers would probably have eye poppingly slow 40 times.[/QUOTE]

yes and no

Olympic sprinters don't generally peak until their late 20's. And given that NFL players train year round, much of that for speed, I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys get even faster than their Combine days.

But is speed the only factor in NFL success ? Obviously the answer is "no". Anquan Boldin ran a glacier-like 4.72 at his Combine. But his size, strength, glue-like hands and great route running made him a fantastic receiver. He was able to use his strength and skill as a replacement for speed to get consistent separation from DB.

On the defensive side LB need to make plays. Either they have to be really fast or they have to anticipate where the play is going. The latter players make their tackles because they make their reads so well. They've got high football intelligence.

Ultimately the more you have of one (speed, skill) the less you need of the other. And if you have both in abundance, you're likely being considered for the Pro Bowl every year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This argument comes up every year and its really misleading. OP and others make it seem like NFL GM's/scouts ignore on field production and ONLY care about combine numbers. COmbine numbers are a good way to seperate players from each other. If you like two LBers equally, but one runs a 4.5 and the other runs a 4.8, the time helps you make a distinction.

The problem with OP's argument is that it is impossible to tell who has NFL type "game speed." College game speed doesn't always translate to the NFL which is why some immensely productive college RBs get cut early in their NFL careers. Plenty of great RBs in college failed to make it in the pro's because their ability to break away from LB's in college did not translate to the NFL because the NFL LBers are faster and/or take better angles.

I happen to like the Jets day 3 pickups and think Jordan White could easily replace Kerley in the slot and we wouldn't lose a beat, but its also possible that he will never be able to get separation from NFL defenders because he doesn't have NFL speed.

I personally agree that you can't judge a player based solely on a players 40 time, but it does help scouts evaluate a guy like Stephen Hill. If not for the 40 time, a guy like Hill (who everyone on this board loves) would have likely been taken after a guy like Ahslon Jeffrey.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;4454971]yes and no

Olympic sprinters don't generally peak until their late 20's. And given that NFL players train year round, much of that for speed, I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys get even faster than their Combine days.

But is speed the only factor in NFL success ? Obviously the answer is "no". Anquan Boldin ran a glacier-like 4.72 at his Combine. But his size, strength, glue-like hands and great route running made him a fantastic receiver. He was able to use his strength and skill as a replacement for speed to get consistent separation from DB.

On the defensive side LB need to make plays. Either they have to be really fast or they have to anticipate where the play is going. The latter players make their tackles because they make their reads so well. They've got high football intelligence.

Ultimately the more you have of one (speed, skill) the less you need of the other. And if you have both in abundance, you're likely being considered for the Pro Bowl every year.[/QUOTE]

I would guess that if you took the 40 times players run at the combine and train specifically for one time in their lives and then post a 40 time late ran they would be slower in most cases.

I'm guessing the Ed Reeds and Troy Polamalus of the world would not be lighting it up with fast 40 times. A good many receivers as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you about the importance of a 40 time because a WR rarely uses straight line speed, but I think that some combine measurements are important and telling. Something like a 3 cone drill is a great measure of fluidity and the size of your hands is an important indicator of whether you are going to fumble.