Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 539

Thread: So the Pats get another A in the draft

  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by patsfanken View Post
    A few thoughts after reading this tread.

    1. The fact that there are so many Pats related threads that are started by Jet fans only goes to show an inferiority complex that is massive and unlikely to go away any time soon.

    2. All draft ratings are ludicrous 5 full months before any one of the 240 odd players picked plays a real game, BUT they sure are fun to talk about.

    3. I think this draft is a good indication of how the 2 organizations view the team building process. The Jets take 2 very physically gifted players who have risks factors as high as their reward factors, while the Pats take 2 players who might have lower ceilings, but much higher floors.

    You just have to look at the past 5 years. The Jets are all about "collecting talent" (Farve, Holmes, Edwards, Cromarte, Burress, etc) The Pats are all about "building a team", and don't give a crap who you are as long you can contribute to wins

    4. I think Hill is a fantastic prospect with unlimited "potential", but I find it hard to figure that the Jets would trade up for a player who, for at least next year, will be doing little but blocking and running 9 routes. When the Jets already have a big 4.3 WR who can block and run 9 routes. (Schillens)

    BTW- Its also interesting to note that while the Jets had to use valuable resources to trade up early in the 2nd round for what seems to be a redundant player, the Pats also got a 4.3 WR with their last pick, who might be 4" shorter, but has 90 more receptions in the last 2 years, as Hill had in 4 years. Hill has already been named a starter, while Ebner is likely to end up on the PS. Which says a LOT about each team's depth at WR

    5. Winston Biggs post on this media love for the Pats picks was right on the money, even though I recognize how hard it was for Jet fans to hear. The mediots are always front runners and the Pats have in "in front" for a long time. Its as simple as that.

    6. John, sorry but you are very wrong about Solder. This was a kid, who without the benefit of an off season, came in and started 13 games, played 4 different positions (RT, LT, RG, TE) Faced and controlled good DE's, like Wake, Dummerville, Miller etc. IIRC I read where he only gave up 3 sacks. He had a very good rookie year, and he'll give the Pats stability and production at the LT position for the next 10 years, at LEAST as good as they've had the last 10.

    7. Ray, you almost wrote a cogent post a while back and then destroyed the credibility you had built us with you absurd contention that the Pats drafts the past 5 years have been useless. The players on the field simply don't jibe with your contention. Get over it. Of course there have been misses, lots of them, but BB has managed to completely restock this team without any of the usual bad seasons you generally need to rebuild.

    Even the better teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Giants, and Cowboys have had a couple bad seasons. The Pats haven't. They haven't had the luxury to pick in the top 10 like the Jets have had several times, They've only picked in the teens twice.

    Having a HOF QB clearly helps, but he's only one of 53 players. The Pats proved in 2008 that it isn't just Brady that makes the Pats competitive, though it doesn't hurt.

    Bellechick is the key and it must kill Jet fans to think he might have been YOUR coach these last dozen years if Parcells had just been willing to just walk away when he stepped down from coaching.
    i guess you're right. everything the patriots do in the draft is great. the jets should rely on a 7th round draft pick for a deep threat. and while jet fans are insecure about the patriots, we jet fans are subjected to the posts of very secure patriots fans who don't have anything better to do than bully us insecure jet fans. very secure post, ken.

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    In all honesty, Belichick isn't the key, Brady is. If Belichick didn't luck out with a 6th round pick in 2000, he would have been fired for a 2nd time after the 2001 season. The Pats were 5-11 in 2000 and started 1-3 before Brady became the starter in 2001. So no, it's not Belichick.

    And yet, there are plenty of people who say that Brady is just a system QB and a product of Belichick and his system. Who is the product of winning all these games?? SOMEBODY has to be responsible?? The haters need to get their hatred together coherently. Is it all Brady? All Belichick? All cheating? Somebody enlighten me.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-30-2012 at 01:31 PM.

  3. #303
    I had to say that the Pats dynasty is more a product of Belli than Brady. How many teams lose their starting qb and go 11-5? Now that's not to say that Brady is a big part of that team and when he's done with football, that team will take a step back. But you gotta give credit where credit's due.

  4. #304
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,857
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
    Relax. A healthy discourse is what Internet messageboards are all about.

    By the way, I think it behooves me to note that I joined this board six years before you did. Just while we're on the subject of longevity and all.
    47 posts, chowd troll -- every one of them stirring sh1t at a Jet fan message board... lets just understand one thing, pal --- at patsfags.com, you wouldn't have made it to post number 3 and year 2004. You should thank JI for their tolerant attitude toward you and the rest of the trolls' relentless Jet bashing at this place

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    And they drafted Kyle Wilson to be a starter, but they decided to keep him at nickelback and then pursue Nmamdi Asomugha to start over him and when that failed, they resigned Cromartie to start over him. So the Jets look at Wilson as a back up.

    But unlike the Jets, the Pats have several players from that draft making impact as starters (Gronk, Spikes, Hernandez, and Deadrick). As of right now the only other player to contribute from that draft for the Jets is a wildly inconsistent kick returner in McKnight.
    No they didn't. They drafted Wilson with Cromartie still on the team under his original rookie contract.

    If you're going to troll and pretend to know what you're talking about when it comes to the Jets, do some research.

  6. #306
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    I had to say that the Pats dynasty is more a product of Belli than Brady. How many teams lose their starting qb and go 11-5? Now that's not to say that Brady is a big part of that team and when he's done with football, that team will take a step back. But you gotta give credit where credit's due.

    So you're on board that Belichick is great and Brady is average. Who's on board stating that Brady is great and Belichick is average?

    It has to be one or the other, right?

    If not, cheating. I mean, it's gotta be something.

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    No they didn't. They drafted Wilson with Cromartie still on the team under his original rookie contract.

    If you're going to troll and pretend to know what you're talking about when it comes to the Jets, do some research.
    So you draft a player in the first round to be a back up for his entire career? Fact of the matter was that Cromartie was on an one year deal. They hope that when they drafted him that Wilson was going to replace him last year as the starter. They were so confident that he could start last year that they spent a week pursuing Asoughma and then ended up signing Cromartie after they lost out on him.

    I know the Jets mailed in the 2010 draft completely, but do you really think they drafted Wilson to be a career back up? He was drafted to be a starter. I never said he was drafted to be a starter his rookie year, but the intention was that he would start his second or third year. At this point, he is a career back up.

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    IMO he really brings nothing constructive to the site. All he tries to do is get Jets fans down to his level, and get us to boil over.

    I doesn't work for me anymore, but seriously, enough is enough. Time to put out his flame

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    47 posts, chowd troll -- every one of them stirring sh1t at a Jet fan message board... lets just understand one thing, pal --- at patsfags.com, you wouldn't have made it to post number 3 and year 2004. You should thank JI for their tolerant attitude toward you and the rest of the trolls' relentless Jet bashing at this place
    Sure I would have. We welcome fans of all colors and creeds. Just not ones that use pejoratives like "patsfags" as if they're actually witty or incisive. Then again, most of our members are, I believe, over the age of twelve.

  10. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Ken, I tend to read your stuff, even on Pats Fans
    You are a masochist.

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    So you draft a player in the first round to be a back up for his entire career? Fact of the matter was that Cromartie was on an one year deal. They hope that when they drafted him that Wilson was going to replace him last year as the starter. They were so confident that he could start last year that they spent a week pursuing Asoughma and then ended up signing Cromartie after they lost out on him.

    I know the Jets mailed in the 2010 draft completely, but do you really think they drafted Wilson to be a career back up? He was drafted to be a starter. I never said he was drafted to be a starter his rookie year, but the intention was that he would start his second or third year. At this point, he is a career back up.
    Two years is a player's entire career? Cromartie wasn't on a one year deal, Rex loves his CB's, Wilson is in a position and is ready to take a starting role should the Jets not re-up Cromartie, or decide not to re-up Revis. Rex loves depth at the position, and wants 3 starting capable CB's.

    The Jets mailed in the 2012 draft? They did? Who contacted you from the Jets front office with this info?

  12. #312
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,857
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    You are a masochist.
    LOL

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
    Sure I would have. We welcome fans of all colors and creeds. Just not ones that use pejoratives like "patsfags" as if they're actually witty or incisive. Then again, most of our members are, I believe, over the age of twelve.
    Please don't defend that terrible site, especially over here.

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Two years is a player's entire career? Cromartie wasn't on a one year deal, Rex loves his CB's, Wilson is in a position and is ready to take a starting role should the Jets not re-up Cromartie, or decide not to re-up Revis. Rex loves depth at the position, and wants 3 starting CB's.

    The Jets mailed in the 2012 draft? They did? Who contacted you from the Jets front office with this info?
    Wait! You are writing off McCourty two years into his career, but it is unfair to write Wilson as a nickelback in the same timeframe? Glad you are bringing fair and balance to the board. Congratulations on looking at things so objectively.

    I do agree Cromartie wasn't on an one year deal. It was just that his deal with the Jets was just one year long. Huge difference. In fact, he was their Plan B option last year after they entered into and lost the Nmamdi sweepstakes.

    Where did I say the Jets mailed in the 2012 draft. I said they mailed in the 2010 draft. And they did. Ryan already said that they might cut the Terminator. Ducasse is a bust. McKnight may lose his return job if they can find someone else who can actually return and HOLD ONTO THE BALL.

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Two years is a player's entire career? Cromartie wasn't on a one year deal, Rex loves his CB's, Wilson is in a position and is ready to take a starting role should the Jets not re-up Cromartie, or decide not to re-up Revis. Rex loves depth at the position, and wants 3 starting capable CB's.

    The Jets mailed in the 2012 draft? They did? Who contacted you from the Jets front office with this info?
    Cromartie was traded for a one year deal. The reason we can't fill our needs on the OL and WR in this draft is Wilson couldn't start on the outside and we had to pay a boatload for another CB across from Revis. That turned about to be Cro after we failed to sign Aso. No money for FA meant no RT in FA.

  16. #316
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Wait! You are writing off McCourty two years into his career, but it is unfair to write Wilson as a nickelback in the same timeframe? Glad you are bringing fair and balance to the board. Congratulations on looking at things so objectively.

    I do agree Cromartie wasn't on an one year deal. It was just that his deal with the Jets was just one year long. Huge difference. In fact, he was their Plan B option last year after they entered into and lost the Nmamdi sweepstakes.

    Where did I say the Jets mailed in the 2012 draft. I said they mailed in the 2010 draft. And they did. Ryan already said that they might cut the Terminator. Ducasse is a bust. McKnight may lose his return job if they can find someone else who can actually return and HOLD ONTO THE BALL.
    Never wrote off McCourty, I simply hypothecised the career path of a Patriot draft pick based on history of about 80% of those players taken in the drafts spanning the last 5-10 years.

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Never wrote off McCourty, I simply hypothecised the career path of a Patriot draft pick based on history of about 80% of those players taken in the drafts spanning the last 5-10 years.
    And I just hypotethized on Wilson based on all the Jets' poor drafting from 2008 on. Two failed drafts (2008, 2010). One overrated draft (2009). Two TBD drafts (2011, 2012).

  18. #318
    Quote Originally Posted by patsfanken View Post
    A few thoughts after reading this tread.

    1. The fact that there are so many Pats related threads that are started by Jet fans only goes to show an inferiority complex that is massive and unlikely to go away any time soon.
    There's one thread on the board right now specifically related to the Pats...

    There's one thread on PF, with a hundred more posts specifically related to the Jets...

    You're the same eejit you always were...

    Besides, this thread has far more substance than the one on your board... At least our discourse is somewhat related to actual football...

  19. #319
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    707
    I was always under the impression that first round picks were drafted to start or be part of a sub pkg in their rookie year.

    You might get away with a second round pick rotating in or being a backup but not a first round pick, especially with a team that has as many holes to fill as the Jets.

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    And I just hypotethized on Wilson based on all the Jets' poor drafting from 2008 on. Two failed drafts (2008, 2010). One overrated draft (2009). Two TBD drafts (2011, 2012).
    Feeble

    First, the 2008 draft netted Keller, who is our start TE, Jets traded up to get him. Gholston was a bust, Lowery was traded.

    The 2010 draft is hardly a failed draft. Wilson had a very solid year last year, and is ready to step in a starting role now. Ducasse will be competing for the starting RT spot this year, there is some upside there, he was a player with a big ceiling but was raw coming out. McKnight is a pro-bowl calliber returner, our 3rd down back, and has played on defense, very versatile. Conner is our starting FB, how the hell is that a failed draft? The only failure is your research, and feeble attempts to ward off the Patriot draft failures by trying to spin the Jets' draft record.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us