Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 thread

[QUOTE=srobjets;4454405]Nice ar. I have had one for 6 years and they are a lot of fun to shoot and add a lot of bells and whistles. Mine just uses .223 rounds. Look into a forward collapsing grip and a bipod. The bipod will help when you site in you optics. Check out [url]www.impactguns.com[/url] the have great stuff. Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Impact Guns is a great website, especially to look at variety, but if you're serious about buying something (weapon, optics, accessory - anything) contact me first and I'll steer you right. I've probably T&E'd it at some point.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4454417]Oh, at about 300 yds, I'll still get you. After that I have other......things.....:D[/QUOTE]

yes, but @ 10", your trajectory isn't flat anymore @ 300yds. You have to fall back to the failsafe: 25yds is equivalent to 300yds. (50 @ 200) which doesn't [I]always[/I] carry.

[QUOTE=freestater;4454425]yes, but @ 10", your trajectory isn't flat anymore @ 300yds. You have to fall back to the failsafe: 25yds is equivalent to 300yds. (50 @ 200) which doesn't [I]always[/I] carry.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'll drop a target at about 100 yards with a 10.5" with no problem. After that, it'll probably take me multiple hits, but it also depends on the ammunition.

Green tip - it'll take me 3-4 hits to drop that target at 150 - 300 yards. 300, the problem will if the target is static or not.

If I'm using something with a higher grain and/or a copper core, 200 yards becomes no problem. 300 yards is kind of my effective limit with a short barrel.

I also have used a 14.5", and that's easy. 300 yards all day. After 300 yards, I'd rather have my 7.62, which would be 1 and done all day.

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4454257]Works for me[/QUOTE]

Me too..

[QUOTE=freestater;4454425]yes, but @ 10", your trajectory isn't flat anymore @ 300yds. You have to fall back to the failsafe: 25yds is equivalent to 300yds. (50 @ 200) which doesn't [I]always[/I] carry.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about impact of the round, my zero on my optic for something like the above will be 100-200 yards. Probably 100, but that's not set in stone.

So at 100 yards, point of aim, point of impact. After that I have to place my red dot higher, but it won't be that much. If it's zeroed at 200 yards, then these longer shots aren't really difficult. The difference in where the round impacts is negligible if you know what's going on with your round.

The speed of my round, and the ballistics at different distances depends on the ballistic coefficient of the round (type of round, grain, core, etc). I can't tell you what each round does, unless you tell me what round I'm using. Generally, for maximum effect, after 100 yards it'll be much different, even if I'm using a 70 grain or 77 grain .223 round. If I use green tip (62. grain with steel core penetrator), the round exits the barrel at about 2650 f/s, which is under the 2800 f/s needed for maximum effect.

I can talk about this all day. Basically, know the limits of your weapon and round.

[QUOTE=John_0515;4454420]Impact Guns is a great website, especially to look at variety, but if you're serious about buying something (weapon, optics, accessory - anything) contact me first and I'll steer you right. I've probably T&E'd it at some point.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'm looking for for a 1911, but don't want to spend a boat load, What's a good one to try. Thanks.

This is my next purchase. Super stopping power. BEOWOLF.

[url]http://shop.tacticalrealm.com/[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Boca Raton, FL / Surrendered my PSL's biatches
    A thread like this is useless on this site. Too many tree hugging libs with zero respect for our 2nd Amendment rights.

[QUOTE=srobjets;4454471]Cool. I'm looking for for a 1911, but don't want to spend a boat load, What's a good one to try. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

That's easy. Get a "milspec" 1911, and put the accessories on as you want them. Springfield Armory is probably the safest bet.

You could turn that pistol into a monster, but in the beginning you will learn how to shoot it competently.

You won't pay more than 5-800$ for a milspec, depending on the manufacturer. I got one for my brother a while ago for 400$. Springfield Armory too.

I have a Kimber TLE. Remember, a 1911 is the "Ferrari" of pistols. High performance, high maintenance required. A TLE is probably over 1000$.

SOCOM (and special forces) don't use 1911s.

[QUOTE=baldnuts1;4454490]A thread like this is useless on this site. Too many tree hugging libs with zero respect for our 2nd Amendment rights.[/QUOTE]

Not me. Come to my house. If you get close enough and make it up the stairs, you deserve to stay.

I encourage intruders.

[QUOTE=srobjets;4454480]This is my next purchase. Super stopping power. BEOWOLF.

[url]http://shop.tacticalrealm.com/[/url][/QUOTE]

Those are WAY overpriced. What are you looking for in that rifle? For 1500-2000$, there are so many platforms that are way more worth it.

whats that AR costing you? rifles have come down in price lately. i paid 499 for my AK. ive seen ars for like 700.

i like the short ones with the adjustable stock

[QUOTE=srobjets;4454471]Cool. I'm looking for for a 1911, but don't want to spend a boat load, What's a good one to try. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

cant go wrong with a springfield armory at just under 500. mine got the nice pachmeyer grips

[QUOTE=dickkotite;4454499]whats that AR costing you? rifles have come down in price lately. i paid 499 for my AK. ive seen ars for like 700.

i like the short ones with the adjustable stock[/QUOTE]

I've fired a lot of platforms, so when I purchase my own - I usually get something I know that's good. The MK18 is like "an industry standard" now.

It's listed for about $1600 on the website. I didn't come near paying that.

[QUOTE=dickkotite;4454500]cant go wrong with a springfield armory at just under 500. mine got the nice pachmeyer grips[/QUOTE]

+1. Good call.

[QUOTE=John_0515;4454495]That's easy. Get a "milspec" 1911, and put the accessories on as you want them. Springfield Armory is probably the safest bet.

You could turn that pistol into a monster, but in the beginning you will learn how to shoot it competently.

You won't pay more than 5-800$ for a milspec, depending on the manufacturer. I got one for my brother a while ago for 400$. Springfield Armory too.

I have a Kimber TLE. Remember, a 1911 is the "Ferrari" of pistols. High performance, high maintenance required. A TLE is probably over 1000$.

SOCOM (and special forces) don't use 1911s.[/QUOTE]

thats what i have. parkerized.....

ive noticed on this gun, its the only pistol i own that i feel i can actually "see" the slide go back and forth.....as if it were slower than the others. do u know what i mean?

[QUOTE=dickkotite;4454505]thats what i have. parkerized.....

ive noticed on this gun, its the only pistol i own that i feel i can actually "see" the slide go back and forth.....as if it were slower than the others. do u know what i mean?[/QUOTE]

.45 is a slow round. The slide mimics the speed of the round. If the tension of the recoil spring is correct (SA does it right), then that's what happens.

the patriarch of my gun family is my 1943 mauser nazi luger "black widow" with all marking intact and no import stamps. stole it from some dude for 400 bucks. really accurate and reliable but if you squeeze the side of it, it fires. some kind of design quirk ive read about

[QUOTE=dickkotite;4454509]the patriarch of my gun family is my 1943 mauser nazi luger "black widow" with all marking intact and no import stamps. stole it from some dude for 400 bucks. really accurate and reliable but if you squeeze the side of it, it fires. some kind of design quirk ive read about[/QUOTE]

That's crazy. Must release a sear or spring holding the firing pin mechanism together. I can imagine the number of accidental discharges that have occurred during WWII.

All League
    [IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g287/gunnails/P1010387.jpg[/IMG]

My assault rifle, Remington 7400 in 30-06.