Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Great read on Griffin/ Ganaway

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read on Griffin/ Ganaway

[url]http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/30/palladino-jets-draft-a-pair-of-bears/[/url] agreed with everything except calling Vlad a bust. How many times do we have to say development pick??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets front office should be lambasted for Ducasse if he does not start this season. You do not take a 3 year developmental pick in the 2nd round when you are having 6th rounders start after a couple of years (Slauson). If Ducasse is not a starter this year and a reasonable one he is bust no question about it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4454615]The Jets front office should be lambasted for Ducasse if he does not start this season. You do not take a 3 year developmental pick in the 2nd round when you are having 6th rounders start after a couple of years (Slauson). If Ducasse is not a starter this year and a reasonable one he is bust no question about it.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with that. But guys bust out all the time. Its the nature of the draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4454615]The Jets front office should be lambasted for Ducasse if he does not start this season. You do not take a 3 year developmental pick in the 2nd round when you are having 6th rounders start after a couple of years (Slauson). If Ducasse is not a starter this year and a reasonable one he is bust no question about it.[/QUOTE]

BEER I respect you as a.poster so please don't take it as me coming at you. But Vlad had no minicamp or OTA'S that is huge for a development pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=revischrist;4454621]Can't argue with that. But guys bust out all the time. Its the nature of the draft.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it happens and I have no problem with it but people talk about him as if he was the guy we just drafted in the 7th round, that is a developmental pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    odds are ducasse busts. i'd take that if you tell me that stephen hill will be a stud.

i think tanny and rex know they need to address rt. but give them credit for not reaching in the draft. really, would we all be happier if they took reiff?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mavericknyc1980;4454635]BEER I respect you as a.poster so please don't take it as me coming at you. But Vlad had no minicamp or OTA'S that is huge for a development pick.[/QUOTE]

My problem is using that word 'developmental' when talking about a 2nd round pick. I would guess in most cases that when teams pick an olineman in the 2nd he is expected to starter sooner than later and even with the disadvantage of mini camps and such he has had two full seasons of NFL experience with practices, games etc.

I'm not writing the guy off but if he is being looked at Rt and can't beat out swinging gate hunter then my hopes for him are very low. In any case I liked the article about the other players and I have a feeling for some reason that Griffin is going to end up being the best of our late round picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4454660]My problem is using that word 'developmental' when talking about a 2nd round pick. I would guess in most cases that when teams pick an olineman in the 2nd he is expected to starter sooner than later and even with the disadvantage of mini camps and such he has had two full seasons of NFL experience with practices, games etc.

I'm not writing the guy off but if he is being looked at Rt and can't beat out swinging gate hunter then my hopes for him are very low. In any case I liked the article about the other players and I have a feeling for some reason that Griffin is going to end up being the best of our late round picks.[/QUOTE]

the pick was bad, even if he turns out ok. you're right - you don't take a rt in the 2nd round who needs 3 years of development. maybe a qb, but that's about it. even if he plays ok this year, the jets lost 2+ yrs of production from that draft pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing ducasse is busting out of is his pants. waste of a 2nd round pick.