Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN 98.7

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN 98.7

The home of the Jets sounds great in stereo!! :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    hopefully now on a signal that people can hear, they can find some way to take a big bite out of the Fat Turds ratings in the PM

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4454563]hopefully now on a signal that people can hear, they can find some way to take a big bite out of the Fat Turds ratings in the PM[/QUOTE]

The radius for 98.7 I guess is about 50 miles as the crow files, 660 is 100's of miles....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4454568]The radius for 98.7 I guess is about 50 miles as the crow files, 660 is 100's of miles....[/QUOTE]

I think the issue is that AM ESPN has bad coverage, so they added the FM ESPN to get the station to the areas that couldn't get AM ESPN

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NPTJET53;4454569]I think the issue is that AM ESPN has bad coverage, so they added the FM ESPN to get the station to the areas that couldn't get AM ESPN[/QUOTE]

AM 1050 becomes ESPN Deportes a 24 hour spanish sportstalk station sometime this summer. ESPN leased 98.7 for 12 years and moved ESPN NY there 1) because the signal (while only 50-75 miles wide) is a stronger FM signal for the NY Metro area 2) because most radio listening these days is on FM and 3)(and most importantly) the better signal will help them in obtaining the radio rights to the Yankees when their contract with 880 comes to an end after this season

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even with the stronger signal, the difference between FAN and ESPN is still substantial. I have been able to receive FAN clearly in NC on drives down there on vacation. 98.7 (ESPN) should get me to about central NJ.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    with all due respect that is true of ALL AM frequencies and NO FM frequencies because of the difference in the way those signals travel through the air.

and seriously, I don't think ESPN was much concerned with listeners in North Corolina in making this move. The fact is that the 98.7 signal is much stronger than the 1050 signal within the geographical area in which 1) NY Metropolitan fans live and work and 2) NY Metropolitan fans purchase stuff that is advertised on radio stations

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4454575]3)(and most importantly) the better signal will help them in obtaining the radio rights to the Yankees when their contract with 880 comes to an end after this season[/QUOTE]

Unless ESPN blows them away with an unheard of deal....I can't see the Yanks doing this. Legions of fans live in Western and Southern NJ, PA and CT. All of them would be cut off from radio broadcasts if they moved to an FM station.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can get WFAN up here in Boston at night

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    very nice

I'm glad

the point is NY stations being able to reach NY listeners... and FM provides a better and more powerful local signal to do so

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4454608]very nice

I'm glad

the point is NY stations being able to reach NY listeners... and FM provides a better and more powerful local signal to do so[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point.

If ESPN is trying to add listeners, they're only trying to add Spanish speaking sports listeners on AM because their core English speaking radius will be trimmed significantly on FM.

And as an avid AM sports radio listener, it's a PITA to have to jump to FM to hear the morning/afternoon show when I usually just push two buttons on the car radio to toggle between 660 and 1050.

This has everything to do with the Spanish sports radio opportunity, nothing to do with Jets fans. We're inconvenienced and millions of us living outside the NY metro area will lose their contact with the team. It's not a good thing.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4454647]You're missing the point.

If ESPN is trying to add listeners, they're only trying to add Spanish speaking sports listeners on AM because their core English speaking radius will be trimmed significantly on FM.

And as an avid AM sports radio listener, it's a PITA to have to jump to FM to hear the morning/afternoon show when I usually just push two buttons on the car radio to toggle between 660 and 1050.

This has everything to do with the Spanish sports radio opportunity, nothing to do with Jets fans. We're inconvenienced and millions of us living outside the NY metro area will lose their contact with the team. It's not a good thing.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

How are you losing contact with the team? In what area would you not get coverage that you are currently getting?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]

ESPN new York can be heard online so you can be anywhere in the world and listen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    98.7 Kiss FM

How times change.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry SAR but every arbitron shows the same thing

FM is where 80-90 percent of the radio listeners listen. Something like 70 percent of ESPN radio stations are already on the FM band. The majority of car radio listeners don't even program their AM dial

so in summary

AM is pretty much as relevant to modern radio as 8 track players are to music and VHS players are to video

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Jeez, is the toggle between AM/FM seriously that difficult for you? The AM signal for ESPN was terrible. So much so that I didn't even consider it an option to try and listen to it at all, which left me with 660 as the only option.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe, snell, it's an intricate technical process when driving a leased "ultimate driving machine"?

who knows

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My BMW and Pathfinder have radios that can have any station programmed in any order regardless of FM or AM...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4454794]My BMW and Pathfinder have radios that can have any station programmed in any order regardless of FM or AM...[/QUOTE]

So does my F250 and Acura RL. Maybe SAR needs an upgrade :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe yours is a better Beemer than SAR's is, flagman

no need to rub it in