Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets Wanted Barron or DeCastro, Not Ingram Or Irvin (over Coples)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Wanted Barron or DeCastro, Not Ingram Or Irvin over Coples

This article is from after round 1 and sorry if it has already been posted but I did not see it. This sheds some light on the Jets' thinking and their decision making is starting to make more sense as they were trying to address obvious needs.

They would have taken traded up for Barron if he slipped a little and would have taken DeCastro at 16 if Coples was gone. So the Steelers really are the Stealers.

They just were not that high on Ingram, and the rumor about Irvin sounds like Seattle spin just as someone pointed out earlier.

The Jets just had many needs to fill after years of trading away picks and the FA strategy and you can only do so much in the draft.

[QUOTE]

The morning after the Jets selected North Carolina pass rusher [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Quinton+Coples"]Quinton Coples[/URL] with the No. 16 pick in the first round, here are a few nuggets of what transpired behind the scenes.

The Daily News has learned that Gang Green was in love with Alabama safety [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Mark+Barron"]Mark Barron[/URL] and would have made an aggressive attempt to trade up for him if he slipped past the No. 10 pick. As it turned out, the Buccaneers grabbed Barron at No. 7 after trading down with the Jaguars.

The Jets were also looking to trade down. Coples was the highest rated
    player remaining on the Jets' board, but if he was gone and they couldn't pull off a trade, Stanford guard [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/David+DeCastro"]David deCastro[/URL] would be been the pick.

The Steelers drafted DeCastro at No. 24. It wouldn't have been a sexy
    selection, but one Jets' official described DeCastro as "a poor man's (Steve) Hutchinson."

The Jets gave South Carolina's [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Melvin+Ingram"]Melvin Ingram[/URL], who was rumored to be on their short list, a late first-round grade.
    [/QUOTE]

[URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/nfl-draft-2012-ny-jets-selected-stanford-ol-david-decastro-16-quinton-coples-board-article-1.1068593#ixzz1tXFTPrHH[/URL]
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Decastro will at the minimum be a soild 10-year NFL player, still can't believe we didn't take him. I'll be praying that our toxic lockerroom gets fixed and that Coples senior year was not indicative of his future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved DeCastro... Hopefully Coples decides that he feels like playing hard.

Interesting that we were clearly not Ingram fans.

This actually makes a bit of sense -- we took so long to make the selection at 16 because we were trying to trade back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4454666]Loved DeCastro... Hopefully Coples decides that he feels like playing hard.

Interesting that we were clearly not Ingram fans.

This actually makes a bit of sense -- we took so long to make the selection at 16 because we were trying to trade back.[/QUOTE]

could be. or they were floored when seattle took irvin. or they had deals in place to trade back but they risked losing several guys they liked. maybe they weighed getting an extra 4th vs. losing out on several defensive guys they liked.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have been uncomfortable with DeCastro at 16.

For no other reason than he's a guard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the Jets did value an OL in the first round. This would make me believe that they understand that there is a pressing need to improve the OL. Or would he have been BPA? This confuses me.

But then why did they not address it until the RG2 pick. There were plenty of OL left on the board. Mainly Glenn. Perhaps they didn't have a high enough grade on him. Strange.

That said, I am more that happy with Hill and Davis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kotch;4454677]I would have been uncomfortable with DeCastro at 16.

For no other reason than he's a guard.[/QUOTE]

we'd all still be complaining they have no rt anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4454687]So the Jets did value an OL in the first round. This would make me believe that they understand that there is a pressing need to improve the OL. Or would he have been BPA? This confuses me.

But then why did they not address it until the RG2 pick. There were plenty of OL left on the board. Mainly Glenn. Perhaps they didn't have a high enough grade on him. Strange.

That said, I am more that happy with Hill and Davis.[/QUOTE]

BPA, I'd guess... They think DeCastro is a lock to be a stud, they weren't as high on the tackle prospects.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now this is a report that I buy into.

I don't believe for a second that the Jets were interested in Irvin at #16.

The Jets clearly weren't in love with Ingram, especially his measurables. There are plenty of question marks surrounding Ingram, I've never understood why so many people act as if he's a "can't miss" passrusher. He's not that strong at the point of attack and will have some trouble setting the edge at the next level. Was only a 1 year starter and how many gamechanging 3-4 OLB's are 6'1 or smaller with the t-rex arms that Ingram possesses? James Harrison and Elvis Dumerville are the only guys I can think of, and Dumerville was a 4th round pick and Harrison went undrafted.

Not to mention Ingram's injury history that no one seems to talk about. Missed the entire 2008 season with a broken foot and then missed time with a foot injury last year.

Coples has the highest upside of any defensive player in this draft. Is there a bust factor? Sure, but let's be honest, there's a bust factor with every player. If anyone can get Coples to play up to his potential, it's Rex. Not to mention Karl Dunbar, the new DL coach from Minnesota. Teaming with a friend and former teammate like Wilkerson might ease the transition as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4454696]Now this is a report that I buy into.

The Jets clearly weren't in love with Ingram, especially his measurables. There are plenty of question marks surrounding Ingram, I've never understood why so many people act as if he's a "can't miss" passrusher. He's not that strong at the point of attack and will have some trouble setting the edge at the next level. Was only a 1 year starter and how many gamechanging 3-4 OLB's are 6'1 or smaller with the t-rex arms that Ingram possesses? James Harrison and Elvis Dumerville are the only guys I can think of, and Dumerville was a 4th round pick and Harrison went undrafted.

Not to mention Ingram's injury history that no one seems to talk about. Missed the entire 2008 season with a broken foot and then missed time with a foot injury last year.

Coples has the highest upside of any defensive player in this draft. Is there a bust factor? Sure, but let's be honest, there's a bust factor with every player. If anyone can get Coples to play up to his potential, it's Rex. Not to mention Karl Dunbar, the new DL coach from Minnesota. Teaming with a friend and former teammate like Wilkerson might ease the transition as well.[/QUOTE]

couldn't agree more. such a lack of focus on ingram's issues. could he disengage from OTs in the nfl? he's not big and has very short arms. as a pass rusher, irvin may be better anyway. how would ingram do against the run? is he better suited for a 4-3? what's his true position?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless a report comes from a guy who was actually in the draft room, I usually take it with a grain of salt.

The Irvin report comes from someone reporting that the Jets called the Seahawks to jokingly curse them for taking their guy. Now, we don't even know if that call actually took place, or if it did, what it really meant.

I'm sure these guys talk all the time. Perhaps the Jets had Irvin higher than most and just wanted to lob in a call and give them some props. Maybe it was similar to when you're playing poker and everyone tells the fish that he made a great call and got unlucky - just to keep the guy around.

A report of a phone call is not dispositive of anything.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4454696]Now this is a report that I buy into.

Coples has the highest upside of any defensive player in this draft. Is there a bust factor? Sure, but let's be honest, there's a bust factor with every player. If anyone can get Coples to play up to his potential, it's Rex. Not to mention Karl Dunbar, the new DL coach from Minnesota. Teaming with a friend and former teammate like Wilkerson might ease the transition as well.[/QUOTE]

good post. I don't understand why the Wilkerson part seems like it has been underreported. I pray this guy pans out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4454690]we'd all still be complaining they have no rt anyway.[/QUOTE]

I would never draft an OG or RT in the first round. I'd even think twice about a Safety that wasn't the kind of prospect that Ed Reed or Sean Taylor were.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kotch;4454711]I would never draft an OG or RT in the first round. I'd even think twice about a Safety that wasn't the kind of prospect that Ed Reed or Sean Taylor were.[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't say never. it depends on where you're drafting and who's available. for the jets at 16 with their needs, taking a guard wasn't the way to catch the patriots. there were enough good players there besides a guard.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets assume this is true which doesn't sound far fetched at all the Jets were not going into this draft with a boom or bust mentality as some suggest. Although picking a safety in the in the lower half of the first round was unheard of years ago its been a trend the last ten years and have been very safe picks(many have gone to multiple pro bowls). I don't have the trade chart but if someone has it could you post what the Jets had to give up to move around the 10 hole? Picking a RT at 16 would have also been a safe pick if there wasn't a better alternative.

The Jets drafted with a good plan, included options and didn't reach and in the process picked players they needed not just BAP.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't have complained with Decastro, hes going to be really good. I hope Coples pans out and can improve our pass rush.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    They didn't value DeCasro over Coples - [B]if [/B]Coples wasn't at 16 they were planning to trade back and take DeCastro. Jets went for the homerun instead of the base hit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Cyberjet;4454839]They didn't value DeCasro over Coples - [B]if [/B]Coples wasn't at 16 they were planning to trade back and take DeCastro. Jets went for the homerun instead of the base hit.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah - hard to get the whole story into a headline, did the best I could.

Given that they used their whole ten minutes making the pick (and I wondered why it took so long) it makes sense that they were trying to trade down but did not find a partner. And many were screaming for them to trade down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Cyberjet;4454839]They didn't value DeCasro over Coples - [B]if [/B]Coples wasn't at 16 they were planning to trade back and take DeCastro. Jets went for the homerun instead of the base hit.[/QUOTE]

That's a good way to put it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

my guess is, what if they traded back and they lost out on the guys they liked, like the rams did.