Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROSTER dept. : Who Will Make the Team ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

ROSTER dept. : Who Will Make the Team ? ? ?

Who Will Make the Team ?

An article from the Daily News expands on some tweets Mehta made that we discussed earlier in the week. Let's do a little analysis of our draft picks and Rex Ryan's words and see if we can't make some educated guesses about who will be on the team for the 2012-13 NFL season.
    Who is in?

DE Quinton Coples :
    This one is self-explanatory. The prospective talent with tremendous upside will be with us for a bare minimum of a year, probably much longer. Rex disclosed that Coples is as good as a starter as of right now, however he also implied that Coples will not be an every-down defensive player.

WR Stephen Hill :
    Another new Jet that Rex suggests will start right away. Hill is one of several players the Jets drafted with experience in an option offense in school. Hill may be raw but it appears as though he was specifically drafted due to an ability to play for either of the Jets top QB's, something Rex denies.

RB Terrance Ganaway :
    Mark my words, Ganaway is a 6th Round steal and he is a superior back to Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight, and he will almost certainly either replace one of the inferior backs, or just join the fray as a 4th back.

OLB Demario Davis:
    Rex and the FO seem very high on this guy, so I'm counting on him being around for the near future.

OL Robert T. Griffin:
    I predict that the other RG will find a spot on the team as a Jets backup lineman. He's large and promising and was quite productive late in his college career. T. Griffin is not going to take the line back to its roots, but he does have solid depth written all over him.

VP of College Scouting Joey Clinkscales:
    The same report from Mehta and the Daily News says that any reports that Clinkscales will be leaving the Jets for the Raiders are false.

RT Wayne Hunter:
    Ryan has all but declared Hunter the starter for this season at RT. We're stuck with him. :(

- - Who could be gone ?

LB Bart Scott: Rex Ryan had this to say of new talent OLB Davis:

"He reminded me of a young Bart Scott," Ryan said.Ouch. Not what I would want to hear if I was an embattled and overpaid LB whose future with the team was seriously called into question from before Davis was even selected. Bart Scott may very well stay on the team through the 2012 season, but his long term future with the team is bleak.

FB John Conner:
    I'm personally disappointed that Conner has surfaced as a potential causality of the new Sparano offense. Rex and the media have called into question whether or not Conner (and a true FB in general) has a place on the Jets right now. Nothing is written in stone, Mike T had this to say :

"We still think John will be here... He’s on the team for now, obviously," Tannenbaum said.

RB Bilal Powell:
    My gut says Ganaway takes his roster spot, but they could always opt to move someone else, like Joe McKnight.

DE Mike DeVito:
    Rex Ryan directly said that he no longer is sure about the role DeVito will play on the Jets with the drafting of Coples. Working in DeVito's favor are already being paid a roster bonus, and the fact that Coples may not be an every down defender.

Who do you think has a good chance of making the team ?

Who do you think is dead weight now ?

> [url]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/4/29/2986460/who-will-make-the-team[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think mcknight stays over powell b/c of special teams. and he's a better receiver.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets liked Powell a lot when they drafted him and Casserly though he was a real good value pick but just watching the guy last year in limited action he looked bad. I think Powell will still be around, Connor is the guy that might be gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi :

Winners and losers of Day 3 of NFL draft 04.28.12 at 10:31 pm ET

Now that the 2012 NFL draft has come and gone, it’s time to take a look back at the draft’s last – and longest – day. Here are the winners and losers of Day 3 of the draft.

Winners :

~ ~ Jets: The Jets got some solid players during the first two days of the draft, but still had some glaring needs will only sixth- and seventh-round picks remain. However, the Jets managed to land huge value at positions of need late Saturday. The Jets got some help in their backfield by grabbing Baylor running back Terrance Ganaway with the 32nd pick of the sixth round. The Jets also addressed their safety concerns by grabbing Wake Forest safety Josh Bush in round six and South Carolina safety Antonio Allen in round seven. Allen in particular is a huge addition, as he was projected as fourth or fifth round pick in most experts’ recent mock drafts. The selection of Baylor guard Robert T. Griffin also adds some depth for a weak Jets interior offensive line.

rest of article :
    > [url]http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2012/04/28/winners-and-losers-of-day-3-of-nfl-draft/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi :

Jets take chance on physical specimen in Coples

Quinton Coples is the definition of “looks the part.” He has all the physical tools in the world to be a force on an NFL defensive line, but there was a reason he was sitting there for the Jets at No. 16.The Jets took a big swing with this pick, taking a player who has a lot of questions about his competitiveness and work ethic. “Led the ACC in loafs,” PFW’s Nolan Nawrocki wrote.At the Senior Bowl, there were plenty of questions about Coples after a less-than-stellar senior season, but I thought he was arguably the most impressive defensive player there. He was quick off the snap and got into the backfield with ease. Coples is strong, and it’s hard not to note the resemblance in stature to another North Carolina alum, Julius Peppers.

If anyone can have the confidence in getting the most out of a player, especially a defneisve player, it’s Jets head coach Rex Ryan and his defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. The Jets are no stranger to taking chances on players based on their upside, and Coples is brimming with it.The one surprise with the pick lies with who was still on the board — Melvin Ingram and Courtney Upshaw, two pass rushers who were connected to the Jets. Both have questions, and like Coples, were still available for a reason, but could be considered safer picks, and better fits for the Jets’ 3-4 defense, than Coples.

Last year, Ryan compared first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson to Trevor Pryce, and he did the same with Coples this year. The Jets can put Coples’ hand in the dirt at the five-technique, but expect to see him move around a bit.The Jets are taking a chance, but if Coples can play up to potential based on his tools, he can be a force on the Jets’ D-line for years to come.

> [url]http://cache.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/26/jets-take-chance-on-physical-specimen-in-coples[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4454741]The Jets liked Powell a lot when they drafted him and Casserly though he was a real good value pick but just watching the guy last year in limited action he looked bad. I think Powell will still be around, Connor is the guy that might be gone.[/QUOTE]

i think one of them is gone this training camp. mcknight is too good of a wr to cut.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples, Hill, Bush and/or Allen will all play a lot this season. All of them could be starters at some point.

Davis will be the 3rd down / passing ILB replacing Bart Scott. Probably Scott's replacement in 2013.

Ganaway will get some carries (especially if Greene underperforms).

Griffen and White to the practice squad.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4454767]i think one of them is gone this training camp. mcknight is too good of a wr to cut.[/QUOTE]
    " . . . mcknight is too good of a wr to cut. "

~ ~ are you SERIOUS ? ? :eek:

:dunno:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kelly;4455044]" . . . mcknight is too good of a wr to cut. "

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

he's the only rb they have who can catch a screen pass.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Four AFC East draft sleepers

~ ~ New York Jets

Player : RB Terrance Ganaway

Round : Six

Thoughts :
    The Jets will ground and pound all season on offense. If there's an injury in the backfield, Ganaway could get a shot. Ganaway looks like a Shonn Greene clone, and apparently the Jets seem to like those type of running backs. Like Greene, Ganaway is a big back who can't take it the distance, but Ganaway can power through the pile and get tough yards. But he needs an opportunity to play.

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/41666/four-afc-east-draft-sleepers[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

you seem to have an agenda against Joe McKnight. The guy did very well for us returning kicks last year and will get more chances to touch the ball out of the backfield this year. Rather then a personal agenda aginst the guy lets all hope he is great for us and helps us win a SB or two!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of McKnight's biggest defenders here, but this is just silly Kenny.

McKnight has great hand and his forte is running in the open field, with LT gone this is going to be one of McKnight's biggest contributions this year.

Ganaway caught 12 balls in 3 years at Baylor. McKnight caught 66 in 3 years at USC.

Ganaway will take carries away from Powell, he's not taking screens and dump-offs and flairs out of the backfield from McKnight.

Different types of players.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4455068]I'm one of McKnight's biggest defenders here, but this is just silly Kenny.

McKnight has great hand and his forte is running in the open field, with LT gone this is going to be one of McKnight's biggest contributions this year.

Ganaway caught 12 balls in 3 years at Baylor. McKnight caught 66 in 3 years at USC.

Ganaway will take carries away from Powell, he's not taking screens and dump-offs and flairs out of the backfield from McKnight.

_[/QUOTE]

gannaway is a hedge against greene so the jets can pound the ball if greene gets hurt. powell is too much of an unknown right now and seems to be on the roster bubble. ditto conner. if mcknight shows up in shape and focused he's probably on the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4455068]I'm one of McKnight's biggest defenders here, but this is just :eek: silly :eek: Kenny.

_[/QUOTE]
    " .. silly .. " ? ? :dunno:

never been called " silly " before. silly :cool:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight could end up being in the CB rotation this season if the Jets think the backfield is full..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JETFAN1;4455255]McKnight could end up being in the CB rotation this season if the Jets think the backfield is full..[/QUOTE]Anything is possible. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Quinton Coples DE UNC

With Melvin Ingram still on the board the Jets decided to go with the “riskier” choice taking Quinton Coples with the 16th pick in the draft. Coming into the 2011 season he was the #1 rated player in the NFL draft, but after a poor start to the season he dropped a lot. A lot could be said about that poor start and if he actually put effort into it, but I view it differently. I think that Coples actually had a lot to deal with that no college player should have to deal with during his time in college. He was the star player on a defense during a time the school was being investigated for violations to NCAA policy, and this cost UNC coach Butch Davis his job. Coples and Coach Davis were very close, so there is an argument to say that he lost motivation after he lost a friend in Butch Davis. Also he has all the tangibles to be a star player in this league. His ceiling is “Julius Peppers-like” as Mike Mayock of NFL Network says. For these reasons I love the Coples pick, and for anyone who doesn’t here is the ESPN sports science video to prove you wrong.

2. Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech

In the second round the Jets decided that they can’t wait for their guy to fall to them. They traded with the Seahawks to move up 4 picks and get Stephen Hill. Stephen Hill is a tall (6’4”) receiver with speed (4.3 40 yard dash time). He compares himself to a young Calvin Johnson, which might lead you to ask why he fell so far? Stephen Hill was part of a run first offense that had a terrible QB. These two things really hurt his numbers. He ended up with only 49 catches, and for this reason the analysts call him a “raw” talent. But in my opinion if he was part of a more pass oriented offense this could have been different. It is too early to call this a steal but I don’t see a reason that he can’t be the perfect #2 deep threat across from Santonio Holmes.

3. Demario Davis ILB Arkansas State

In the third round the Jets took an inside linebacker to pair with David Harris. Most experts thought this was a reach, but when I look at this kid I think of a poor mans Lawrence Timmons. He has the speed to pass the rusher as an OLB with the ability to cover the tight end as well. I would not be surprised to see him have more playing time than Bart Scott by the end of the season, and I had to research him, but overall a great pick for the Jets in the third round.

4. Josh Bush S Wake Forest

In the sixth round the Jets thought they could address their need in the safety position. Josh Bush used to be a CB before converting to the safety position last year. He ended the season with 6 interceptions and is an intriguing talent in the 6th round for the Jets. He is someone that could perhaps guard the tight end in the back end of our defense in the future. It is too early to evaluate this pick, but Bush has the potential to help this team in the future

5. Demarcus Terrance Ganaway RB Baylor

With their second pick in the 6th round the Jets drafted an RB. At this point in the draft these picks are usually flyers, but this pick is interesting for me. Ganaway is an excellent between the tackles runner and I wonder if this pick was made for the Wildcat. Ganaway seems like a back that is made to be the A Back in the Wildcat formation.

6. Robert T. Griffin G Baylor

In the sixth round the Jets also selected Robert T Griffin. We did not take Robert Griffin III (no worries Mark Sanchez), but this guy adds a body to the depth chart in the guard position.

7. Antonio Allen S South Carolina

This pick in the 7th round was a little odd but considering they worked him out personally in the Jets facility it makes sense. He is more of an in the box safety, and could possibly play a role, but I highly doubt it.

8. Jordan White WR Western Michigan

The Jets last pick was a Wide Receiver. This guy has had all sorts of knee problems and that is never a good sign for a wide receiver, but all these picks in this round are flyers so there is nothing to complain about here.

Overall: B+

I hate grading drafts early because we have nothing to base it on but here it is. The Jets draft this year had one goal: to get faster and the Jets did just that. Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill and Demario Davis all have a lot of speed and should help the Jets when they play teams with a lot of durability. The two things that brought it down from an A for me are that they did not address the need at the tackle position, and they took Demario Davis a little early with who else was available at the time.

> [url]http://www.thejetsblog.com/2012/04/30/jets-draft-review/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    MEL KIPER, ESPN
    Grade : C

"The Jets surprised me when they went with Quinton Coples over Melvin Ingram in Round 1. To be blunt, I just think Ingram is the superior player -- and I have outside linebacker as New York's top need. Coples is a more natural fit as a 4-3 defensive end, and the obvious conclusion is Rex Ryan intends to move him inside. Still, I don't see him as a significant help in a need area -- the pass rush. Stephen Hill is a major physical talent, but he's a project in terms of route running. He can certainly keep safeties honest, however. You have to account for his deep speed, but I'm not sure he'll be able to help a lot in 2012. I like the value of Demario Davis. He was my fifth-ranked OLB in this draft. Size is a question, but Rex may set him loose situationally."

JERRY CZARNECKI, FOXSports

"This franchise rolled the dice on all their first three picks, which has been their approach lately. It doesn't mean the draftees aren't talented, it's just whether or not they are the right fit. There were questions about North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples, the first-round pick. Some scouts thought he had a bad habit of taking plays off. ... They traded up for Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill because he's a great blocker for their power running game. Now, that makes some sense because Hill only caught 49 passes in his college career. And he should be able to block because Tech used a triple-option running game. But Hill is 6-foot-4 and runs a 4.3 40-yard dash. ... Demario Davis of Arkansas State is another edge rushing linebacker. ... Baylor's Terrance Ganaway, a 240-pound running back, could be a great find and should help on short-yardage. ... Staying at Baylor, the Jets took right guard Robert T. Griffin, a 335-pounder with no relation to his former quarterback teammate."

PETE PRISCO, CBS Sports
    Grade: C-

Best pick : Second-round receiver Stephen Hill has the tools to be an explosive player, but he is raw. Can this regime get the best out of him? If they can, he will be a steal. Boom or bust pick.
    Questionable move : Taking Quinton Coples in the first round is a strange move for this team. He doesn't seem to fit what they do. Oh, and he also took last season off at North Carolina.
    Third-day gem : Running back Terrance Ganaway put up big numbers in Baylor's offense. He is a big back at 239 pounds.
    Analysis : The Jets took two players in the first two rounds who are risks. Is that really something this front office and staff can afford to do? Add in the stupid Tim Tebow trade, and the Jets haven't had a great start to 2012. It's a feast-or-famine draft.

CHRIS BURKE, SI.COM
    Grade : D+

"DE Quinton Coples is a colossal roll of the dice at 16 overall, and the Jets decided to address their issues at offensive tackle by completely ignoring that position. WR Stephen Hill (43) will help that underwhelming unit, as might sleeper Jordan White (244). But there was more bad than good here."

VINNY IYER, SPORTING NEWS

"Rex Ryan got some 3-4 pieces, but we just don't know if they're the right ones. Hill has explosive potential with the right QB."

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12250/report-cards-lots-of-cs-for-jets[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh , looks like a C+ :(

won't know for sure for 3 yrs ....
    or so :dunno:

cheers ~ ~
    :beers:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    saw this :

Quarterback (3)
    6 - Mark Sanchez 6'2" 225 Southern California
    15 -Tim Tebow 6'3" 245 Florida
    14 - Greg McElroy 6'2" 220 Alabama

Running Back (5)
    23 - Shonn Greene 5'11" 226 Iowa
    25 - Joe McKnight 5'11" 194 Southern California
    29 - Bilal Powell 5'11" 207 Louisville
    xx - Terrance Ganaway 6'0" 240 Baylor
    xx - John Griffin 5'10" 190 Massachusetts (Reserve/Future Contract)

Fullback (1)
    38 - John Conner 5'11" 246 Kentucky

Tight End (5)
    81 - Dustin Keller 6'2" 248 Purdue
    45 - Josh Baker 6’2″ 243 NW Missouri State (Fullback / TE)
    83 - Derrick Epps 6’3″ 250 Miami (2011 Practice Squad)
    86 - Jeff Cumberland 6'4" 249 Illinois (Injured?)
    xx - Hayden Smith 6’7″ 240 Metropolitan State (Rugby)

Wide Reciever (12)
    10 - Santonio Holmes 5'11 192 Ohio State
    11 - Jeremy Kerley 5'10 190 TCU
    xx - Stephen Hill 6'4" 215 Georgia Tech
    88 - Patrick Turner 6'5" 220 USC
    xx - Chaz Schilens 6'4" 225 San Diego State
    19 - Eron Riley 6'3" 206 Duke
    xx - Jordan White 6'0" 208 Western Michigan
    15 - Scotty McKnight 5'11" 185 Colorado
    84 - Michael Campbell 6'2" 205 Temple (2011 Practice Squad)
    89 - Dexter Jackson 5'9" 182 Appalachian State (2011 Practice Squad)
    18 - Logan Payne 6'2" 205 Minnesota (2011 Practice Squad) (Injured?)
    xx - Royce Adams 6'1" 190 Purdue (Reserve/Future Contract)

Offensive Line (13)
    65 - Brandon Moore 6'3" 305 Illinois
    74 - Nick Mangold 6'4" 305 Ohio State
    68 - Matt Slauson 6'5" 315 Nebraska
    60 - D'Brickashaw Ferguson 6'6" 310 Virginia
    78 - Wayne Hunter 6'5" 320 Hawaii
    62 - Vladimer Ducasse 6'5" 330 Massachusetts (G/T)
    72 - Caleb Schlauderaff 6'4" 302 Utah (G)
    77 - Austin Howard 6'7" 333 Northern Iowa (T)
    xx - Robert T Griffin 6'6" 335 Baylor
    76 - Dennis Landolt 6'4" 306 Penn State (OL) (2011 Practice Squad)
    63 - Matt Kroul 6'3" 300 Iowa (OL/DL) (2011 Practice Squad)
    69 - Trevor Canfield 6'5" 307 Cincinnati (G) (Reserve/Future Contract)
    xx - Kris O'Dowd 6'4" 309 USC (C) (Reserve/Future Contract)

Defensive Line (9)
    91 - Sione Pouha 6'3" 325 Utah
    70 - Mike DeVito 6'3" 305 Maine
    96 - Muhammad Wilkerson 6'4" 315 Temple
    xx - Quinton Coples 6'6" 285 North Carolina
    79 - Ropati Pitoitua 6'8" 310 Washington State
    93 - Kenrick Ellis 6'5" 340 Hampton (Legal Issues)
    94 - Marcus Dixon 6'4" 295 Hampton
    95 - Martin Tevaseu 6'2" 325 UNLV
    xx - Jay Richardson 6'6" 280 Ohio State

Linebacker (12)
    52 - David Harris 6'2" 245 Michigan
    97 - Calvin Pace 6'4" 265 Wake Forest
    58 - Bryan Thomas 6'4" 266 Alabama-Birmingham
    57 - Bart Scott 6'2" 240 Southern Illinois (LB)
    50 - Garrett McIntyre 6'3" 270 Fresno State
    51 - Aaron Maybin 6'4" 240 Penn State
    xx - Demario Davis 6'2" 235 Arkansas State
    43 - Nick Bellore 6’1″ 252 Central Michigan
    53 - Joshua Mauga 6'1" 243 Nevada
    92 - Ricky Sapp 6'4" 250 Clemson (2011 Practice Squad)
    xx - Eddie Jones 6'3" 255 Texas (Reserve/Future Contract)
    xx - Matthias Berning 6'0" 236 Central Michigan (Reserve/Future Contract)

Cornerback (6)
    24 - Darrelle Revis 5'11" 198 Pittsburgh
    31 - Antonio Cromartie 6'2" 203 Florida State
    20 - Kyle Wilson 5'10" 194 Boise State
    35 - Isaiah Trufant 5'8" 170 Eastern Washington
    26 - Ellis Lankster 5'9" 190 West Virginia
    32 - Julian Posey 5'11" 187 Ohio (2011 Practice Squad)

Safety (7)
    xx - LaRon Landry 6'0" 220 LSU
    33 - Eric Smith 6'1" 205 Michigan State
    xx - Josh Bush 5'11" 208 Wake Forest
    xx - Antonio Allen 6'0" 210 South Carolina
    37 - Tracy Wilson 6'2" 203 Northern Illinois
    43 - Mark LeGree 6'0" 211 Appalachian State (2011 Practice Squad)
    xx - DeAngelo Smith 5'11" 198 Cincinnati

Punter (2)
    4 - TJ Conley 6'3" 220 Idaho
    xx -Travis Baltz 6'3" 210 Maryland (Reserve/Future Contract)

Kicker (1)
    2 - Nick Folk 6'1" 222 Arizona

Long Snapper (1)
    46 - Tanner Purdum 6'3" 270 Baker