Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ROSTER dept. : Who Will Make the Team ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/work_in_progress_VFJ5UEnWDTchDKlC0fBO1N[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-increase-speed-defensive-front-addition-quinton-coples-demario-davis-adapt-past-first-nfl-article-1.1071063?localLinksEnabled=false[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > [url]http://www.freep.com/article/20120502/SPORTS07/205020379[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > [url]http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/linthicum_brian01.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > [url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/03/26/tebow-situation-leaves-many-questions[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depth Charges : Post Draft

After an unusually quiet off-season/free agency period, many suspected that the Jets would attempt to fill their numerous holes via the draft and yet the draft is over with the Jets selecting eight players and yet they still have some pretty glaring holes to fill. This is not to say that they didn’t address some key areas of need in the draft, in fact many were filled most notably wide receiver and safety. However, for the Jets to have success in 2012 there are still positions that they need to address before heading into mini camp and ultimately training camp:

Right Tackle :

This one is the most obvious and arguably the most crucial, Wayne Hunter is here to stay as the Jets could have cut him earlier in the off-season and it would not have cost them a dime but something tells me he will go back to being a backup. There is honestly no way that the Jets Tannenbaum-led think tank will allow Wayne Hunter to be the opening day starter given the abysmal season he had last year. I’ve said it over and over again that he was the “root of all evil” as Lewis Black might say for the Jets because it hindered what they were able to do offensively. Many put the blame for the Jets offensive woes squarely on Sanchez’s shoulders but it is nearly impossible to run an offense effectively without the ability to run-block or keep the quarterback upright.So if Hunter will be riding the pine in 2012, who will be the starter you may ask. Well, I have a few answers to that question but first and foremost the successor will almost definitely come from within. I hope and pray that the Jets aren’t still so high on Vlad Ducasse’s ability to be a starter because although he is a physical specimen he just looks lost out there and I question his ability to speak and understand English as well. The best way I can describe Ducasse is the way a draft analyst whose name escapes me right now described Bobbie Massie “He’s more Tarzan and less Jane.” So if not Ducasse, who? I think the guy who will come away with the job in the end will be Austin Howard, who the Jets picked up from the Ravens practice squad in 2011. Howard is a physical beast himself at 6″7, 333, the Jets are high on Howard and brought him in to bolster the offensive line depth but it looks like he may end up supplanting Hunter.One last possibility is “the other Robert Griffin” or “RG II” but most of you will probably know him as the Jets 6″6, 330 offensive tackle, who they selected with their second pick in the sixth round. This was an obvious need pick but it is not clear whether the Jets envision Griffin as a starter or someone who they brought in just to bolster the depth that was clearly lacking in 2011. Whichever way this situation will resolve itself definitely bears watching as we creep closer to the season.

Outside Linebacker :

Many felt as though the Jets would most certainly target a pass-rushing outside linebacker with one of their 10 draft picks and yet failed to do so, passing up on arguably the best prospect at that position in Melvin Ingram. Right now, the familiar tandem of Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas are being penciled in as the projected starters with Aaron Maybin presumably rotating in on passing downs. However, aside from those three things get pretty murky with former Clemson stand-out Ricky Sapp and Eddie Jones who was an undrafted rookie turned practice-squadder out of Texas rounding out the depth chart.Looking long-term this is definitely a position that needs to be addressed given the age of both Pace and Thomas as well as the lack of sacks and speed coming from that spot. Having said that, in Rex’s scheme guys are moved around to a bunch of spots, so who technically is or is not an outside linebacker doesn’t really matter because chances are they will be playing all over the place. I would expect them to make some sort of move to perhaps bolster the depth at that position but definitely nothing flashy or earth shattering.

Cornerback :

I know, I know, I’m crazy and don’t know football, how could arguably the best cornerbackign tandem or trio depending on what you think of Kyle Wilson be a position of need? Well, here’s how: as much as you don’t want to hear it and it pains me to say it, Darrelle Revis will almost inevitably hold out if the Jets don’t take care of his deal. Aside from that cloud potentially looming overhead, in today’s NFL cornerback depth is especially crucial and right now the next guy in line behind Wilson is the diminutive Isaiah Trufant.

The Jets will likely add another veteran ala Donald Strickland and have kicked the tires on former Raiders corner Chris Johnson and would not be surprised if he is the guy they end up signing. Let’s not overlook the fact that they let Marquice Cole walk, who although he did not play a very big role was pretty good as the dime back (see Steelers game late 2010). The Jets would be smart to bring in a guy that could hang with New England’s “twin towers” in Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

> [url]http://www.thejetsblog.com/2012/05/02/depth-charges-post-draft/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post-draft depth chart

With the draft complete, and with rookie minicamp set to begin Friday, this is a good time to assess the roster with a two/three-deep depth chart.
    This is our depth chart, not the team's, listing only veterans and draft picks (draft picks in bold).

OFFENSE

WR -- Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Jordan White
    LT -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Austin Howard (RT)
    LG -- Matt Slauson, Caleb Schlauderaff
    C -- Nick Mangold, Kris O'Dowd
    RG -- Brandon Moore, Robert T. Griffin
    RT -- Wayne Hunter, Vladimir Ducasse
    TE -- Dustin Keller, Jeff Cumberland, Hayden Smith
    WR -- Santonio Holmes, Patrick Turner, Chaz Schilens
    QB -- Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy
    FB -- John Conner, Josh Baker
    RB -- Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight, Bilal Powell, Terrance Ganaway

DEFENSE

DE -- Muhammad Wilkerson, Jay Richardson
    NT -- Sione Pouha, Kenrick Ellis, Martin Tevaseu
    E/T -- Mike DeVito, Quinton Coples, Marcus Dixon
    OLB -- Bryan Thomas, Garrett McIntyre, Eddie Jones
    ILB -- David Harris, Nick Bellore
    ILB -- Bart Scott, Demario Davis, Josh Mauga
    OLB -- Calvin Pace, Aaron Maybin, Ricky Sapp
    CB -- Darrelle Revis, Kyle Wilson, Julian Posey
    S -- Eric Smith, Tracy Wilson, Josh Bush
    S -- LaRon Landry, Antonio Allen
    CB -- Antonio Cromartie, Isaiah Trufant, Ellis Lankster

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK -- Nick Folk, Josh Brown
    P -- T.J. Conley, Travis Baltz
    PR -- Kerley, McKnight
    KR -- McKnight, Cromartie, Kerley
    LS -- Tanner Purdum, Derek Chard

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12287/post-draft-depth-chart[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kelly;4457736]> [url]http://www.freep.com/article/20120502/SPORTS07/205020379[/url][/QUOTE]..hey dude which one are you?..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kelly;4458587]Post-draft depth chart

With the draft complete, and with rookie minicamp set to begin Friday, this is a good time to assess the roster with a two/three-deep depth chart.
    This is our depth chart, not the team's, listing only veterans and draft picks (draft picks in bold).

OFFENSE

WR -- Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Jordan White
    LT -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Austin Howard (RT)
    LG -- Matt Slauson, Caleb Schlauderaff
    C -- Nick Mangold, [B]Kris O'Dowd[/B]
    RG -- Brandon Moore, [B]Robert T. Griffin[/B]
    RT -- Wayne Hunter, Vladimir Ducasse
    TE -- Dustin Keller, Jeff Cumberland, Hayden Smith
    WR -- Santonio Holmes, [B]Patrick Turner[/B], Chaz Schilens
    QB -- Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, [B]Greg McElroy[/B]
    FB -- J[B]ohn Conner[/B], Josh Baker
    RB -- Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight, [B]Bilal Powell[/B], Terrance Ganaway

DEFENSE

DE -- Muhammad Wilkerson, [B]Jay Richardson[/B]
    NT -- Sione Pouha, Kenrick Ellis, Martin Tevaseu
    E/T -- Mike DeVito, Quinton Coples, Marcus Dixon
    OLB -- Bryan Thomas, [B]Garrett McIntyre[/B],[B] Eddie Jones[/B]
    ILB -- David Harris, Nick Bellore
    ILB -- Bart Scott, Demario Davis, [B]Josh Mauga[/B]
    OLB -- Calvin Pace, Aaron Maybin, Ricky Sapp
    CB -- Darrelle Revis, Kyle Wilson, [B]Julian Posey[/B]
    S -- Eric Smith, [B]Tracy Wilson[/B], Josh Bush
    S -- LaRon Landry, Antonio Allen
    CB -- Antonio Cromartie, [B]Isaiah Trufant[/B], [B]Ellis Lankster[/B]

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK -- Nick Folk, [B]Josh Brown[/B]
    P -- T.J. Conley, [B]Travis Baltz[/B]
    PR -- Kerley, McKnight
    KR -- McKnight, Cromartie, Kerley
    LS -- Tanner Purdum, [B]Derek Chard[/B]

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12287/post-draft-depth-chart[/url][/QUOTE]

Guys in bold wont make the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i hear the jags released drew coleman today.

any takers ? ? :dunno:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ooops ;

~ ~ Jaguars | Drew Coleman not versatile enough

The Jacksonville Jaguars' decision to release CB Drew Coleman Thursday, May 3, was mainly a numbers issue. However, he also played only nickelback, while most of the corners on the roster play inside and outside.

2012-05-03 10:35:08 | Source: CBSSports.com

> [url]http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=784863-jaguars-drew-coleman-not-versatile-enough[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > [url]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7891825/2012-nfl-draft-australian-native-hayden-smith-starred-rugby-now-trying-test-skills-nfl-jets[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What free agents will make this team ?

Wayne Chrebet, Garrett McIntyre, Jamal Westerman, Josh Mauga, Nick Belore. I'm sure theres more, but thats the guys that I can think of that basically came off the street and found a job with the Jets. Belore and Garrett McIntyre last year alone made the linebacking corps. Out of the rookie free agents and free agent castoffs who will make the team this year ?

There's one I can make a good argument for, and one I hope to see. Everyone has their favorites, so I'm sure you will all tell me yours.

The guy I can make a good argument for is Donnie Fletcher. He's the cornerback from Boston College, which you all probably know. Since I'm reading blogs about players that were drafted, I might as well blog about a guy that I think will make this team. Measurables-wise he is 6'1 and 195 lbs. He has a 4.53 40, but at BC pro day he ran a 4.38 and a 4.44. He played all the way through his senior year.His junior year he had 58 tackles, 8 passes broken up, and 5 interceptions. As a result, his senior year, teams threw away from him, and he had the Revis effect. His senior year he was bored and lonely on his way to 35 tackles, 5 passes broken up, and 2 interceptions. His lack of stats is not an indication of his non play making ability, but the respect teams had towards throwing his way. I read a lot of stuff on the guy, and it pretty much reads like this. He is good in man coverage, but his strong suit is in play recognition in zone coverage. His height and length put him in the Cromartie category, but his skill set is more in the Dwight Lowery type of mode.Since the Jets were actively looking at bringing back Lowery, and Dwight did some really good things in that corner/safety position, I think Donnie Fletcher has a very good chance at getting a spot in that same type of role. He can be the 4th or 5th cornerback on the roster. He can play special teams. He can also play to his strengths as an extra defensive back/ safety if they play cover 3 type defenses. Since he is good at reading plays in front of him, and breaking on passes as they are thrown, I definately see him at the end of the roster, handling a number of roles from 5th DB/ free safety/ special teams guy. Since they would have to bring in corners just to take the position away from him, he's a safe bet on opening day.

Next guy I like is a long shot. I don't care. I like him anyway. His name is Brett Roy. He's a defensive tackle from the University of Nevada. Another DT you say? Not this guy. The thing with him is he started at Nevada as a safety, then was moved to linebacker, then to DE, and finally to DT. Remember that guy Brian Urlacher? When the Bears drafted him, he had been a safety, and moved to linebacker. This guy is not Urlacher, but he does have something in common. He is a player, and he makes plays no matter where he is.Here's the measurables. He is 6'3 275 lbs, he put up 32 reps at the combine, but he ran a 5 second 40 time. Oh no. He can't run a 40 so he sucks right? Here's the deal. This guy registered 18 sacks the last 2 years at Nevada. Not from a linebacker spot, but from a DT spot. 18 sacks from DT is great. I don't care if its in the lowly WAC conference, it shows you can bust up the middle of the line and get penetration. This is what he did often at that school. If you read his reviews they will all say the same thing. High motor, always in pursuit, and always disruptive in the backfield. He ran the 40 again at his pro day and turned in a 4.9. Still horrible, but he's getting somewhere.

The outside linebacking was thin already last year, and he's going to get a spot in that rotation. One of those spots that was occupied by guys like Jamal Westerman, and Garrett McIntyre could be his. Where other pass rushers are going to use speed, he is going to use his strength and skill to bulldoze into the backfield. He could be way better than Jarrett Johnson (formerly of the Ravens) that the Jets were looking to sign. His senior year at Nevada his stats looked like this 64 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, and 6 passes broken up. This spells football player to me, and a guy that will get it done, no matter where you put him on the field. This guy has the potential be a devastating rush linebacker if that is his only responsibilty.

There you have it. I see Donnie Fletcher making his team for his versatility and coverage skills. I see Brett Roy making this team for his relentless pass rush and ability to get into the backfield. More pass rush and more coverage coming into the fold. Two potential steals and playmakers, that will make immediate contributions to the team.

> [url]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/5/6/3002597/what-free-agents-will-make-this-team[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    my vote for UDFA who makes the team is the TE from michigan state.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi :

> [url]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/News/2012/05/07/19725996-qmi.html?cid=rsssportsnfl[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > [url]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/5/6/3002695/quotes-from-terrance-ganaway[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;4458615]..hey dude which one are you?..[/QUOTE]
    as duff said ... :cool:
    [img]http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/318426_2404579487887_1653147470_2351141_652649604_n.jpg[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4454767]i think one of them is gone this training camp. mcknight is too good of a wr to cut.[/QUOTE]

And he adds value as a return man.

Can't see him being cut.

[QUOTE=augustiniak;4461832]my vote for UDFA who makes the team is the TE from michigan state.[/QUOTE]

Agree, he can catch and run. If he can block a lick he's in. We need a 2nd receiving TE

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets' Josh Bush flew under the radar in college ,
    but team targeted him

Josh Bush didn’t receive an invite to the Senior Bowl or the NFL Combine. He was left off the lists of some draft pundits, and when he finished up his college career at Wake Forest, he didn’t think many people expected him to be drafted.“I was definitely under the radar,” Bush said during rookie minicamp this past weekend. “A lot of people didn’t even know who I was, as far as scouts for teams. My coach was telling me they’d come in and watch film, and I wouldn’t even be on the sheet. And at the end of it, they’d be like, ‘Who is this No. 4 kid?’ ”But the Jets knew about him. They were in the market for a cover safety, with cornerback skills, and Bush fit the bill.The Jets were one of two teams whose headquarters Bush visited before the draft. During the visit, coach Rex Ryan hinted, in one way or another, that he just might be wearing a Jets uniform this season.

“I definitely knew there was interest,” Bush said with a smile.

The Jets gave away their fourth- and fifth-round picks, but when the 187th pick came up in the sixth round, they called Bush’s name. “I felt like I was the first pick of the draft,” said Bush, who signed his four-year rookie deal Sunday. “It was a great feeling.”And Bush has a real chance to contribute this year. Ryan said they were not looking for a starter, necessarily, but a safety to plug into their defensive sub packages. Their needs included a player who can cover opponents man-to-man and be used over top of coverages in the deep field.Bush played both cornerback and safety at Wake Forest, giving him what Ryan called an “interesting skill set.”

“In today’s game, that’s really what you need,” Ryan said. "You need guys that have man-cover skills, especially if you play a defense like us, and guys with range. I think he has that. He has ball skills.”Bush said his senior season was the first year he played safety full-time. He recorded six interceptions. He started six games at free safety as a sophomore, but otherwise spent his college career as a cornerback. Bush hopes his experience at both positions can benefit him as he works to earn playing time.“Playing corner, you have to be more reactive toward the wide receiver when they are running routes. You have to be more reactive and anticipate more,” Bush said. “When you get back at safety, you kind of have to slow it down, because you are typically covering the tight end. But your reaction skills should be greater than the average safety.”

Ryan called Bush a “smart young man” and believes he can handle the Jets’ complicated defensive scheme. Bush and former South Carolina safety Antonio Allen, who was drafted in the seventh round, roomed together during rookie minicamp and stayed up late each night studying.“Everybody thought he could handle it mentally,” Ryan said. “Then our big thing is physically, he’s just got to fire it in there a little bit more. Understand that your teammate is going to be flying to the football, and you can be more aggressive.”

Bush is working on it, promising to sprint to the ball at full speed whether it’s a drill, a practice or a game. He has the opportunity to bring a key dimension to the Jets’ depth chart at safety, but he knows he has to earn it.“I feel like that’s something they think I can do,” Bush said, referring to secondary coaches Dennis Thurman and Jim O’Neil. “They’ve told me a lot, ‘You’re more of a cover safety,’ so hopefully it will work out.”

> [url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_josh_bush_flew_under_the.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Gross will be in the film room for Turn On The Jets breaking down all eight of the New York Jets draft selections. Today we look at 6th round pick, guard Robert T. Griffin. (At the bottom of the article, I offer a brief commentary on Griffin from the film I have watched). – JCWith their last of three selections in round six of the 2012 NFL Draft, the New York Jets selected Guard Robert T. Griffin out of Baylor University. The Jets were expected to select an offensive lineman at some point in the draft due to the lack of depth up front. However, it came as a surprise to many that New York opted to wait until the end of the sixth round to finally pull the trigger on one of the many big men available this year. Griffin certainly has impressive size at over 6’6” 340 lbs, but there are several aspects of his game that currently prevent him from utilizing his massive frame.

The biggest flaw in Griffin’s game that was exposed in the wide-open offense that was run at Baylor is his lack of athleticism. Although he shows flashes of quickness and agility at times, Griffin more often than not struggles immensely in space. He was frequently asked to pull last season, but was very ineffective in this area. There were times when he blocked no one, times when he showed poor balance and coordination by falling on his face, and times when he flat out ran into one of his teammates. Griffin also showed very poor blocking ability at the second level. When asked to move beyond the line of scrimmage to block linebackers, something very common for any guard to do, Griffin never seemed to be able to get his feet underneath him, and would either be beaten with agility or by strength. His poor balance and lack of center of gravity would make him an easy target for linebackers to shed at their disposal.Griffin also does not posses the footwork that you would look for in an NFL offensive lineman. He is not very explosive out of his stance, and has a hard time sliding in pass coverage. He also has a tendency to lean his shoulders forward leaving him extremely vulnerable to pass rush moves of both speed and strength. On some plays, Griffin looks as if he is lost, completely unaware of his assignment, causing him to turn his shoulders and allow defenders to come off his backside and make a play. Overall, his footwork is very inconsistent. In short spans, Griffin’s feet can look quick and agile, but the majority of the time his footwork is slow and ineffective in getting his massive frame to be in any position of use.

Although he has several inconsistencies and imperfections, Griffin does do some things well. He has great tenacity, and seems most comfortable in straight on man blocking. The vast majority of the time when defenders were lined up directly over him, Griffin would show the ability to get into them and use his strength and size to drive them off the ball. His footwork is best shown in his kick out blocks, as he proved to be able to get his head inside of defenders and drive them toward the sideline, opening running lanes up the middle.However, he sometimes does not use his hands to his advantage. Griffin has a very poor habit of trying to block with his shoulders, which allows defenders to get into him and gain the leverage needed to move him around as they please. He also has a tendency to play far too high, allowing defenders to gain even more leverage on him. In order to develop successfully, he needs to work on staying low and improving his hand placement in the worst of ways.

There is undoubtedly some cause for concern in the play of the former Baylor guard. However, it makes some sense that he was appealing to the Jets. First of all, he was, as previously stated, the last of three sixth round selections, so there was very little risk in taking him. Also, his size is certainly attractive. If he can ever learn to apply the proper skill to his frame, he will have tremendous success in the NFL, but that is a very big “if.”

Griffin does have decent man blocking skills, so it isn’t a complete mystery as to why Tony Sparano and the offensive staff would be open to working with this young man. The bottom line is that he will certainly need time to develop. What will work in his favor for this season is the potential lack of depth along the offensive line. Depending on how the remainder of free agency plays out, Griffin could make the active roster simply for the need of an extra body. However, he would be much better suited on the practice squad for a season or two in order to grow and develop as an NFL lineman. Sparano is surely the right man to aid in his development, and at the point in the draft in which he was selected, Griffin’s potential payoff outweighs any risk associated with him. Because of his size, he does have tremendous upside. However, don’t expect anything too soon, as he is an extremely raw product.New York waiting until the sixth round of the draft to select a lineman, especially one who is going to be such a work in progress, only solidifies the notion that they are ready to move into camp with Wayne Hunter and Vladimir Ducasse competing for the starting job at Right Tackle. Mike Tannenbaum and the coaching staff can say that Austin Howard will be in the mix as well, but everyone associated with this team knows that is simply untrue. Expect the Jets to look into adding a veteran that is still left on the free agent market at some point before the season, perhaps Vernon Carey, whose name has come up countless times due to his familiarity with Sparano. As for Griffin, he is a long way away from becoming a capable offensive lineman in this league, if ever.

Editor’s Notes – From the Baylor film I watched, Griffin doesn’t look like a player who merited a draft pick. The Jets clearly picked him because of his size and their faith in Tony Sparano. Griffin did show good drive blocking skills when he could get on his man, which does translate well to this offense. However he is very, very raw and simply gets lost out there way too much. His field awareness and ability to move around or get to the second level have a long way to go. He looks like the type of player to store on the practice squad for a couple of years.

> [url]http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-guard-robert-t-griffin/[/url]