Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts regarding low Draft Grades

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts regarding low Draft Grades

Seeing various draft grades in the C's... I understand their basis, but I not sure i completely agree.. The Jets came away some players who will not only help overall team speed, but are big and powerful...

IMO, their falure to draft an OLB and RT, is their biggest short comming...

Primary needs: OLB / Pass Rusher, Safety, WR, RT
    The Jets left the draft without making a selection on an OLB or RT. Without a no. 4 pick (Tebow) and traded away no. 5.(move up to get Hill), lost a chance to potentiallly help additional positions of need.

BAP:
    1. I liked Ingram alot, but I can't argue with taking a 6-6 285lb DE with a big upside like Q.Coples.. He can rush the passer and is a physically gifted specimen to have on your front 3... It is not easy to find players with his athletic ability and size with potential at that position.. A rush lineman is a tremendous value! (Big , Fast & Powerful)

Like notion of Pace, Maybin, Wilerkson, Coples rushing passer....

2. Steven Hill had a 1st round Grade.. Fastest WR in draft and one of the biggest at 6-4 215. Another Physical speciman who can stretch field, match up in red zone and can Block (Big, Fast & Powerful)

3. Demario Davis was a surprise pick in round 3. ILB?? another player with great size, power and speed.. Ability to cover TE.. powerful and extremely fast... Leader..... (Big, Fast & Powerful)

6a Bush - more of a CB/S Hybrid... good footbal instincts. (Fast)

6b Ganaway - a 240lb load (powerful).. short yard and situational runner.. with upside to become more..

6c Griffith - 6-6 330lb OG.. played both T & G.. project, but can't argue notion of adding power players who will dominate at point of attack.

7a. A.Allen - Great Value , Excellent Football Player with top level competion.. This kid is ready to hit... needs work in coverage.. We are going to like this player...

7b. White - Can't argue with his production.... lots of competion at WR for Jets, but this kid could be sleeper.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft grades are worthless, 100% worthless.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfan51;4454863]

Seeing various draft grades in the C's... I understand their basis, but I not sure i completely agree.. The Jets came away some players who will not only help overall team speed, but are big and powerful...

[/QUOTE]

Here's the grade from SI.com

[B]New York Jets:[/B] DE Quinton Coples is a colossal roll of the dice at 16 overall, and the Jets decided to address their issues at offensive tackle by completely ignoring that position. WR Stephen Hill (43) will help that underwhelming unit, as might sleeper Jordan White (244). But there was more bad than good here. [B]Grade: D-plus [/B]

[url]http://nfl.si.com/2012/04/29/2012-nfl-draft-grades/[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone putting grades on a draft or believing them before the players
    ever play a game are fools

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how out of 15 plus grades I've read you pick the lowest one to post. Personally, I would be more interested in our draft grades 2000 - 2010, and compare them to the draftees performances, with maybe a revised grades.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;4454882][B]PATHETIC[/B] how out of 15 plus grades I've read you pick the lowest one to post. Personally, I would be more interested in our draft grades 2000 - 2010, and compare them to the draftees performances, with maybe a revised grades.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. :zzz:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4454873]Here's the grade from SI.com

[B]New York Jets:[/B] DE Quinton Coples is a colossal roll of the dice at 16 overall, and the Jets decided to address their issues at offensive tackle by completely ignoring that position. WR Stephen Hill (43) will help that underwhelming unit, as might sleeper Jordan White (244). But there was more bad than good here. [B]Grade: D-plus [/B]

[url]http://nfl.si.com/2012/04/29/2012-nfl-draft-grades/[/url][/QUOTE]

I think people are concentrating too much on the Coples pick instead of looking closely at everybody else selected.

Same with the Pats in the other way, People are concentrating too much on their two first rounders, which were great, rather than the rest of the draft, which was not so great.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Al Woodall Rocks!;4454886]Fixed. :zzz:[/QUOTE]

thank you

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

[url]http://nfl.si.com/2012/04/29/2012-nfl-draft-grades/[/url][/QUOTE]

LOL.. and Chandler Jones is what at no. 21??? Colossal???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually thought the Jets had an excellent draft, but clearly my opinion now has to be revised because si.com has spoken. :rolleyes:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft Grades are a joke.

Pass rusher need filled.

FS need filled.

Speed WR need filled.

SS depth need filled and also TE cover guy.

ILB depth need filled and also TE cover guy.

Big RB need filled.

G Depth need filled.

Route running WR need filled.

They have Maybin as OLB rusher and Hunter/Vlad at RT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

[URL]http://nfl.si.com/2012/04/29/2012-nfl-draft-grades/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Just curious, what do you think of the Coples pick, Tx? I personally will go on record again and say that I think he will be a monster for the Jets... an absolute beast. Three years from now, everybody will be saying "Wow, what a great roll of the dice for the lucky Jets." I would say, Rex can smell defensive talent of this caliber a mile away. He knows Coples will be a stud. Coples has already shown how high his ceiling can be. He may be the most talented defensive player in this draft. Mark it down. :yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4454887]I think people are concentrating too much on the Coples pick instead of looking closely at everybody else selected.

Same with the Pats in the other way, People are concentrating too much on their two first rounders, which were great, rather than the rest of the draft, which was not so great.[/QUOTE]

Bequette wasn't a good pick at DE ?

Dennard - CB- was projected as a 1st or 2nd round pick by some. He was selected in 7th round. (#224) Nice pick if he can keep his nose clean.

"In typical Patriots fashion they roll the dice late in the draft and take highly rated Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard. Dennard is 5’10″ 204 pounds and was a standout for three seasons in Nebraska’s secondary. Dennard is known for his physicality and loves to come up to the line and press wide receivers. Dennard was a second team all-american this past season and was named the Nebraska Defensive MVP.

There are concerns about his ability to turn his hips and run with receivers, but at this point in the draft it is a tremendous value pick. I personally had Dennard ranked in the top 75 players in this draft.

Bill Belichick held a coaching clinic at the University of Nebraska last month and worked out Dennard personally, so he must be comfortbale with what he saw. I expect Dennard to come in and fight for a roster spot and should be highly motivated."

Let's look at the Patriots final roster and see if any of those 2 are on it. We all know that Jones,Hightower and Wilson will be.
    Last edited by Spectre; 04-30-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4454964]Just curious, what do you think of the Coples pick, Tx? I personally will go on record again and say that I think he will be a monster for the Jets... an absolute beast. Three years from now, everybody will be saying "Wow, what a great roll of the dice for the lucky Jets." I would say, Rex can smell defensive talent of this caliber a mile away. He knows Coples will be a stud. Coples has already shown how high his ceiling can be. He may be the most talented defensive player in this draft. Mark it down. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I actually thought both Coples and Hill were very good picks for the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a "Speed and Beef" draft.

Next year's team will quickly benefit from these additions.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A 'colossal role of the dice' implies that a situation could go one way or the other. The fact that this statement leads to a D+ conclusion highlights just how ridiculous draft grades are.

Giving a draft grade prior to the player even suiting up in uniform is like giving a student a 'pre-test' grade based on their study habits and overall demeanor in class.

The only bad pick is the one that doesn't work out. We won't know that for 6 months, so don't sweat the reviews.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4454973]I actually thought both Coples and Hill were very good picks for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Quick, somebody sig this before TX changes his mind. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4454973]I actually thought both Coples and Hill were very good picks for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I agree. I even think they are better than Tannehill and Martin for the Dolphins that got a B- :eek: Seriously, I can see giving the Jets a B- or C+ if one likes, but a D+ (equivalent to the Saints who didn't have 1st or 2nd round picks?)!... that's some plain out and out malice there. As others have noted, my biggest disappointment is that the Jets didn't go for a quality RT. That was a real liability for them last year. But if the Jets are rated as most other teams are by their first 2-3 picks, they did a very good job. JMHO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our draft grades solely revolve around our #1 pick. Coples would have been good later in the draft according to the experts. If Coples puts up solid numbers than Rex and Tanny would have been proven right in taking Coples at 16. How you can grade a draft without playing one down of football is a head scratcher to me. Give these guys 2 years before judging them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree draft grades are about as useless as can be. Everyone is killing Seattle right now, for all we know they had the best draft. But websites, and newspapers need them, cause it is an easy gimmick to get people reading their publication. But they are 100% meaningless, just as a fan saying the guy we picked is going to be a beast, and the guy my rival team picks is going to be a bust.

The only thing I will say about the Coples pick, is that the Jets are using there same we can coach anyone mentality, bring over any head case, or problem child and we will get the best out of them hubris, that Rex has.

If last year has shown anything, is that Rex motivates by boasting about his players in the media, and telling them, that they are great and can beat anyone. And as Joe Namath pointed out, sometimes you need to kick a little tushy (edited for website) with these players, and not tell them they are great every second. It seems to me that Coples is a guy who needs that kind of kick in the tushy, pushing, and Rex has never demonstrated that he can do that.

Now you do not always need the head coach to be the guy who does that, but the jets locker room is also devoid of leaders. So who is going to approach this kid, and get in his face? Not Revis, by far the jets best player, but not his personality, and the rest of the older locker room guys are gone, Ellis, LT, Woody, etc.

So maybe if Coples went to another team, with a not so player freindly coach, or a team with a strong locker room, he could be great, but going to the jets with this player friendly rah rah coach, and no locker room leaders, could lead to a disaster.

Again, who knows what will happen with any of these draft picks, we know for sure half the 1st rd will disappoint,and a bunch of 6th, 7th, and UDFA will become stars that no one saw coming. Coples could be the next Reggie White.

For the Jets, the fit of a moitvationally challenged player, with a soft head coach, and leaderless locker room doesn't seem like a good fit. And this has nothing tod do with draft grades, or predicting the futire, I am purley looking at it in a player and synergy with his new team.

(Half of all busts happen, not because the player was a bad player, but because he got chosen to the wrong team, that he does not fit with, and by the time he is through that, he is labeled as a bust, and his career is over, very few players bounce back from that. Jim Plunkett did, Chris Carter did, but it does not happen often)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4454981]Fair enough. I agree. I even think they are better than Tannehill and Martin for the Dolphins that got a B- :eek: Seriously, I can see giving the Jets a B- or C+ if one likes, but a D+ (equivalent to the Saints who didn't have 1st or 2nd round picks?)!... that's some plain out and out malice there. [B]As others have noted, my biggest disappointment is that the Jets didn't go for a quality RT[/B]. That was a real liability for them last year. But if the Jets are rated as most other teams are by their first 2-3 picks, they did a very good job. JMHO.[/QUOTE]

I think the Jets bring in a veteran RT when cuts are made in August.

I just can't see them going with who they currently have on their roster.