Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CB - Ryan Steed

CB - Ryan Steed

1st round discussions, interesting UFA pick up.

From Roto World: Steed was actually mentioned in the first-round discussion early in the draft process, but slow forty times at the Combine knocked him from early-round talks, and a medical issue knocked him out of the draft. He is a bright, hardworking corner with top-notch cover skills for a small schooler. We suspect he'll become a favorite of the Jets' coaching staff in short order.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by JUMBOJET View Post
    1st round discussions, interesting UFA pick up.

From Roto World: Steed was actually mentioned in the first-round discussion early in the draft process, but slow forty times at the Combine knocked him from early-round talks, and a medical issue knocked him out of the draft. He is a bright, hardworking corner with top-notch cover skills for a small schooler. We suspect he'll become a favorite of the Jets' coaching staff in short order.
    Good to hear, I'm excited to see what this kid can do....

Jets Insider VIP
    Lets all hope that his medical condition is a thing of the past and that he is back to running well!

Love seeing that we need a nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    I actually think this guy could play some free safety.

Nice move by the Jets. Could be a solid contributor. We know Rex love his Db's

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Dime, Kyle Wilson is the nickel

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Dime, Kyle Wilson is the nickel
    I'm not good with change lol.

anyone have any idea of what the medical issue is/was? I think he's a great UDFA pickup...but curious as to what was wrong.

Jets Insider VIP
    Anyone have change for a quarter?

BTW, what is Steed's medical "issue?"

Steed was a three-year starter for Furman. He has decent size for the corner position and is a prospect who relies heavily on his technique to be able to cover man to man. He is a natural athlete who looks smooth and fluid when back pedaling but also can stick his foot in the ground and explode to recover if he loses a step. He can struggle when coming in to support the run and can play too hesitant and cautionary at times. All things considered, his athletic ability and man coverage skills playing press from the line of scrimmage give him value at the position in the NFL. Look for certain teams to fall in love with his ability to jam and stay in tight coverage through man and potentially see his value higher, but the soft nature of his play in run support and zone coverage give him fourth-round value.

Strengths

Steed's value is in his ability to use his athletic ability to cover in man and make plays on the ball at the end of plays. He is a good catcher who has had interception production throughout his career. Although he isn't a physical tackler, he understands how to shock-jam in man and play press to keep receivers off their routes. His man exposures are almost always playing out of press, and he has an impressive ability to stay with receivers after initiating a jam at the line of scrimmage. He is a decent player in zone, but his man skills are entirely what makes him intriguing.

Weaknesses

Steed could help himself by being a more physical player who could contribute early on special teams, but there are certain aspects to his overall physicality which will hurt his value here. He can play hesitant and wait just long enough to diagnose a play where he is out of it entirely. He also can shy away from tackles in run support and stick onto blocks. He plays as if to avoid contact and despite his cover skills, he will need to toughen up and become more of a physical tackler to contribute early at the next level.

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532953/ryan-steed/

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I actually think this guy could play some free safety.
    Thats what I was thinking. Along with Josh Bush, Antonio Allen and Donnie FLetcher and D'Anton Lynn we have a young core that Rex can work with along side Landry Smith and I forget the other guy...Not saying they all make it. They won't but maybe two of these guys pan out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Anyone have change for a quarter?

BTW, what is Steed's medical "issue?"
    I did some poking around and the only thing I found were notes in various scouting reports that he was coming off of a knee injury. I couldn't find any references to surgery, ACL, etc. If I had to guess he probably was still a little banged up after the season heading into the combine. Again, that's just a completely uninformed guess. Take it for what it's worth (nothing).

Quote Originally Posted by Jgrlica3 View Post
    I did some poking around and the only thing I found were notes in various scouting reports that he was coming off of a knee injury. I couldn't find any references to surgery, ACL, etc. If I had to guess he probably was still a little banged up after the season heading into the combine. Again, that's just a completely uninformed guess. Take it for what it's worth (nothing).
    You found more than I did..All I could find was he ran a poor 40 at the combine and played at a small school...He did end up running a low 4.5 at his pro day..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We do?

You forget about K Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    We do?

You forget about K Wilson?
    Need more than 3 CBs

Ryan Steed

His "medical condition" was a small spur on the hook of the hamate bone in his hand. This condition was discoverded at the combines,corrected,and signed off on as cleared. He has NO serious medical condition and is an extremely bright, well mannered kid who plays cover corner quite well with a safety mentality. LOVES to blitz and pressure folks. Ask ALshon Jeffrey(0 catches) Brian Quick(2meaningless catches for a total of 14 yds. deep in 4th playing prevent as FURMAN SHOCKED App State. Ask Andre Roberts{Ariz Cards) about a then first year starter locking him down. Ask Blaine Gabbert who took away half the field as a soph when he had a 6'5" reciever(that guy went to the Rams) to throw to. I could go on and on but if he gets a chance I promise you he never takes plays off and will give 110%.......Oh, he is a special team's coaches dream- gunnuer,all hands team, blocks punts AND extra points with those long arms that belong on a 6'3" body.....

Quote Originally Posted by carlwmd View Post
    His "medical condition" was a small spur on the hook of the hamate bone in his hand. This condition was discoverded at the combines,corrected,and signed off on as cleared. He has NO serious medical condition and is an extremely bright, well mannered kid who plays cover corner quite well with a safety mentality. LOVES to blitz and pressure folks. Ask ALshon Jeffrey(0 catches) Brian Quick(2meaningless catches for a total of 14 yds. deep in 4th playing prevent as FURMAN SHOCKED App State. Ask Andre Roberts{Ariz Cards) about a then first year starter locking him down. Ask Blaine Gabbert who took away half the field as a soph when he had a 6'5" reciever(that guy went to the Rams) to throw to. I could go on and on but if he gets a chance I promise you he never takes plays off and will give 110%.......Oh, he is a special team's coaches dream- gunnuer,all hands team, blocks punts AND extra points with those long arms that belong on a 6'3" body.....
    Are you his father or something?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Ryan Steed, CB, Furman
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 195.
    40 Time: 4.69.
    Bench: 12.
    Vertical: 34. Broad: 10-1.
    Arm: 32 5/8. Hand: 9.
    Projected Round (2012): 4-5.
    4/25/12: Steed did not have a very good Combine performance, seeming slow in the 40. Plus, it looked like he is going to need some work with NFL coaches to get better technique in the open field. Steed looked a little stiff and it seems that he takes some extra steps when changing direction.

Steed held his own in Mobile, Alabama at the Senior Bowl. He showed some coverage skills and was ready for the better competition. Steed totaled 46 tackles with four interceptions and four passes broken up as a senior. He had 14 career interceptions, with four picks in each of the last three seasons.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012CB.php

Unlike Bentley, Furman CB Ryan Steed (5-10/190) is long (32” arms) and jams receivers at the line with consistent success. After the jam, Steed stays in the receiver's hip and rides him downfield, affecting the would-be pass catcher’s speed. Steed has great natural awareness and supplements it with film study to recognize specific route combinations, anticipating breaks from receivers. In the brief time I had to watch All-22 practice tape at the team hotel, Steed was sitting at the table beside me. He was the only player in the room for quite some time, breaking down North receivers with Buccaneers scouts ahead of Saturday's game. Steed will have no issues mentally at the next level, and there are rumblings that he will score big on the Wonderlic Test at the Combine.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...-draft-preview