Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CB - Ryan Steed

i though i did my homeswork.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The kid is from my home town now in SC

Was a star in HS, but opted for Furman over USC and Clemson. Nice kid. Really rooting for him

Nope, not his father. His family and I are close through me knowing him through my son when they played basketball at Pinewood Prep in Summerville SC where he was a standout basketball player and National Honor Society Member as well. Played two miles from AJ Green (Summerville High) but Summerville's coach wouldn't let them play but they had some Awsome pick-up games. Wouldn't let them run 7 on 7 drills either......Anyhow, I attended Ryan's college games at Furman and compared him to some noteworthy corners and he has all the tools. His goal in basketball was ACC or bust(Va Tech offered but wanted him to prep another year). Since he only played footbal his senior year at a tiny private school (SCISA League) A late offer came from Vandy but he had already committed to Furman. Whether he makes it or not,(I hope that he does) you will be impressed with his interviews and fan friendly demeanor.

Hmm... A football player who plays better in pads than in shorts and a t-shirt? Sign me up. I hope he makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlwmd View Post
    Nope, not his father. His family and I are close through me knowing him through my son when they played basketball at Pinewood Prep in Summerville SC where he was a standout basketball player and National Honor Society Member as well. Played two miles from AJ Green (Summerville High) but Summerville's coach wouldn't let them play but they had some Awsome pick-up games. Wouldn't let them run 7 on 7 drills either......Anyhow, I attended Ryan's college games at Furman and compared him to some noteworthy corners and he has all the tools. His goal in basketball was ACC or bust(Va Tech offered but wanted him to prep another year). Since he only played footbal his senior year at a tiny private school (SCISA League) A late offer came from Vandy but he had already committed to Furman. Whether he makes it or not,(I hope that he does) you will be impressed with his interviews and fan friendly demeanor.
    Thanks for the info..He sounds like a good kid...I saw the following in the PFW scouting report for him and it stood out

Outstanding personal and football character. Very intelligent..... Intelligence, instincts and toughness might project best to safety.

http://cache.profootballweekly.com/p.../ryan-steed-1/

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Ski View Post
    Ryan Steed, CB, Furman
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 195.
    40 Time: 4.69.
    Bench: 12.
    Vertical: 34. Broad: 10-1.
    Arm: 32 5/8. Hand: 9.
    Projected Round (2012): 4-5.
    4/25/12: Steed did not have a very good Combine performance, seeming slow in the 40. Plus, it looked like he is going to need some work with NFL coaches to get better technique in the open field. Steed looked a little stiff and it seems that he takes some extra steps when changing direction.

Steed held his own in Mobile, Alabama at the Senior Bowl. He showed some coverage skills and was ready for the better competition. Steed totaled 46 tackles with four interceptions and four passes broken up as a senior. He had 14 career interceptions, with four picks in each of the last three seasons.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012CB.php
    Big difference between 4.5 and 4.7 for an NFL CB. I guess we'll see which one is right.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Big difference between 4.5 and 4.7 for an NFL CB. I guess we'll see which one is right.
    Seeing as how he's most likely to be a backup/situational player, I'd be much more interested in his short-area quckness/play awareness than 40 times. If he's a physical guy who can read routes and react to breaks quickly, he can still play in the league with that 40 time (on a limited basis, of course).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Seeing as how he's most likely to be a backup/situational player, I'd be much more interested in his short-area quckness/play awareness than 40 times. If he's a physical guy who can read routes and react to breaks quickly, he can still play in the league with that 40 time (on a limited basis, of course).
    Yes. Particularly if they're thinking about playing him at safety.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post

@ChrisSteuber
    Chris SteuberIn addition to #ATL, #CIN, #CLE, #NO, #NYG & #OAK, #Chiefs, #Dolphins & #Steelers attended #Furman Pro Day. Steed ran 4.55, Forcier 4.40, 40

The two prospects that Chris Steuber referenced were Furman quarterback Chris Forcier and cornerback Ryan Steed. It's likely that the prospect that the team came to watch was Steed, given their need at the cornerback position. According to Scouts, Inc., Steed is this year's 18th-ranked cornerback in the draft and was invited to the Senior Bowl. He performed well during the week in Mobile, Alabama giving the small-school prospect some deserved attention.

Steed posted four interceptions and was an AFCA FCS All-American in 2011. He has decent size at around 5'11" and 190 pounds and could be a late-round sleeper.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/9/...university-pro

Steed had a couple of nice pbu's on long balls and jumped a route for a pick six yesterday. Not bad for guy who runs the forty in about nine seconds. LOL. Heads will turn even more when the pads go on.......

Quote Originally Posted by carlwmd View Post
    Steed had a couple of nice pbu's on long balls and jumped a route for a pick six yesterday. Not bad for guy who runs the forty in about nine seconds. LOL. Heads will turn even more when the pads go on.......
    During rookie weekend I remember he tweeted he was finally leaving Florham Park around 9:00pm one night Many hours after practice had ended. Most likely he was in his play book and/or watching tape. He's my sleeper of UDFAs I'm rooting for the kid.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I did not know we got this kid....good pick up.....you can't have enough DB's

Undrafted Free Agent
    you guys are great...... thanks for the info on this kid
    These write-ups remind me of an another awesome corner who jams at the lign and re-directs receivers off course.
    Pulling for the kid ...he sounds like a good one

CMart , again spot on sir

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Need more than 3 CBs
    I get that we need more than 3.

Didn't say that we didn't. But we don't need a Nickel, we already have one. Hope he excels and can contribute in Dime package.

Steed reminds me of Sam Madison coming out of Louisville in the 97 draft, he too ran terrible 40's in the 4.65 range but had vines for arms and was real physical at the line. Give Steed a year to get stronger And faster and watch out.

I've come around on this kid so fast that I'm getting dizzy. Nightmare scenario? D'Anton Lynn (who, to be fair, also seems like a really sharp, good kid) gets the quarter/dollar CB spot b/c of the family connection alone.

Another thing. If he can improve his tackling technique a bit, he sounds like he has all the other skills and athleticism to turn into a perfectly adequate ball-hawk/cover FS type. But it will probably take more than a year, and Jets fans are going to want to see someone who can perform in that role--and whose initials are not "E.S."--NOW.

C MART is a Guru. You are correct sir on him probably hitting his playbook and studying film. I have been following this kid through high school and college and that is what he has always done and when i spoke to him the other night he was digesting/regurgitating/cogitating and then re-digesting his playbook. He will be able to' play faster' now without mechanically thinking through the process. I too am rooting for him for he is a Diamond in the rough that needs a little polish. His Major in Exercise Science and Physiology has helped him figure out receiver movement and qb tendencies as well......

I think the FO is trying to make up for the Lowery mistake, Lowery was poised to take over at FS and then they traded him for no reason and the rest is history. Steed has a lot of those same qualities Lowery had.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I think the FO is trying to make up for the Lowery mistake, Lowery was poised to take over at FS and then they traded him for no reason and the rest is history. Steed has a lot of those same qualities Lowery had.
    unlike the fans the FO has moved on and just trying to improve the team...and have identified ways in trying to do so

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine spoke to Jets Confidential about the teamís issues covering tight ends this season:
    I think thatís a need that defenses need to address, to find that hybrid, whether itís a bigger safety that can support the run or whether itís a coverage linebacker. You canít really go with a true linebacker against them and you really canít go with a true (defensive back) at times.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/12/2...t-end-problem/

All Pro
    Wow seems like the board just fell in love with this dude Ryan Steed sounds like a beast to me. Anyway this thread is useless without pics and stats are for losers.