Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

Thread: CB - Ryan Steed

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I think the FO is trying to make up for the Lowery mistake, Lowery was poised to take over at FS and then they traded him for no reason and the rest is history. Steed has a lot of those same qualities Lowery had.
    Would you please stop with the Lowery nonsense. He was not at all what you claimed. He was ok but nothing more and slow as can be.

    Please call Rex and advise him of your opinions re Lowery, he needs a great laugh!


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lgi4tl

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    unlike the fans the FO has moved on and just trying to improve the team...and have identified ways in trying to do so

    Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine spoke to Jets Confidential about the team抯 issues covering tight ends this season:
    I think that抯 a need that defenses need to address, to find that hybrid, whether it抯 a bigger safety that can support the run or whether it抯 a coverage linebacker. You can抰 really go with a true linebacker against them and you really can抰 go with a true (defensive back) at times.


    http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/12/2...t-end-problem/
    You are absolutely correct! But it's not all Jet fans. It is just Sliks constant love affair with Lowery. I liked the guy coming out of San Jose but never felt he was a great talent The man had issues with his speed and could not compete as well as Slick tries to instill in our heads. It's time for the past to be buried by All Jet fans concerning a guy who could not make it with our team.


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?amnat5

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    You are absolutely correct! But it's not all Jet fans. It is just Sliks constant love affair with Lowery. I liked the guy coming out of San Jose but never felt he was a great talent The man had issues with his speed and could not compete as well as Slick tries to instill in our heads. It's time for the past to be buried by All Jet fans concerning a guy who could not make it with our team.


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?amnat5
    KJ, I understand. I am just amazed at the number of posters on here that continually live in the past. Lowery is done and gone yet some just would rather focus on a guy no longer with the Jets than those now wearing the green and white

  4. #44
    I guess finding a guy to keep up with the the tight ends that roam around in our division will be a continuing conundrum. Not sure why one would let go of a valuable piece of the puzzle to shut those te's down if he was capable (Lowery). My thoughts are concordant with drafting a monster def end to put pressure on the opposing qb.Defensive fronts can make any corner/def back look good but when there is no push fairly good players can be exposed......there is a guy coming out next year (Devontae Holloman) from South Carolina who is that perfect combo safety /backer that will give te's nightmares on slants and seam routes but right now I am just hoping there is a spot for Steed on the 53. Can't wait to see hm in the pads. He has learned so much in these OTA's........

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenAFFLICTION View Post
    you guys are great...... thanks for the info on this kid
    These write-ups remind me of an another awesome corner who jams at the lign and re-directs receivers off course.
    Pulling for the kid ...he sounds like a good one

    CMart , again spot on sir
    Feeling better and better about this pickup. Man if some of these db prospects are legit at pro level this would be great. Jets need competent depth players who can seriously challenge the starters.

  6. #46
    KJ what the heck are you talking about my man, not only was Lowery Jacksonville's best safety, but he was the best safety we had if we'd had Lowery instead of Smitty last year we probably make the playoffs. Jax went and signed him right away in the offseason, want more proof? Rex and Tanny both agreed letting go lowery was a mistake, a guy that can play both coner and safety in a pinch and excel is a rarity these days, Lowery played very well for us especially in 2010 when he had 3 picks and sealed a couple of important games. Yes i agree to root for our guys but that doesnt mean Lowery was not a solid football player, i hope Steed is half as good as Lowery was who started every game as a rookie i might add and did pretty damn good playing next to Revis, getting and playing lito Sheppard over Lowery was a big mistake, Lowery was destined to eventually play safety though and he came in to camp looking stronger than ever, watch out for him in the next few years become one of the better safeties in the league.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 05-28-2012 at 02:51 AM.

  7. #47
    Bell & Ross rel贸gios, Replica Bell & Ross rel贸gios, Bell & Ross Replica rel贸gios, comprar rel贸gios Bell & Ross, Bell & Ross barato rel贸gios

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    KJ what the heck are you talking about my man, not only was Lowery Jacksonville's best safety, but he was the best safety we had if we'd had Lowery instead of Smitty last year we probably make the playoffs. Jax went and signed him right away in the offseason, want more proof? Rex and Tanny both agreed letting go lowery was a mistake, a guy that can play both coner and safety in a pinch and excel is a rarity these days, Lowery played very well for us especially in 2010 when he had 3 picks and sealed a couple of important games. Yes i agree to root for our guys but that doesnt mean Lowery was not a solid football player, i hope Steed is half as good as Lowery was who started every game as a rookie i might add and did pretty damn good playing next to Revis, getting and playing lito Sheppard over Lowery was a big mistake, Lowery was destined to eventually play safety though and he came in to camp looking stronger than ever, watch out for him in the next few years become one of the better safeties in the league.
    I liked Lowery, and wish we'd kept him.

    But to make comments like "I hope Steed is HALF as good as Lowery" -- well, that pretty much means you hope he doesn't make the team . . .

  9. #49
    ++ There were a few moves last year that Tannenbaum acknowledged didn't work out as planned. He specifically named trading Dwight Lowery, and then struggling with safety depth later in the year, and also the team not retaining veteran fullback Tony Richardson, who was a strong locker-room leader.

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._jets_not.html

    There...Mike T acknowledged it was a bad move..It happens to every GM/HC/Team..Seems it was more of a coaching staff decision in not knowing how/where to use him...Mike T just moved him to get some kind of return (pick)...Now can we all now move on to '12



    Dwight Lowery anticipated being traded by Jets

    Published: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 12:17 PM Updated: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 7:03 PM

    By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger
    Lowery picked up his phone and saw a text message from his agent: He had been traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars. The fourth-year defensive back wasn't surprised.

    "I was anticipating it a bit, because of how much I was practicing," Lowery said by phone today from Jacksonville. "I knew I was going to be traded or released."

    Lowery said he didn't approach the coaching staff to ask why his repetitions dwindled in camp. He was under contract and felt it was his job to do what was asked of him.

    "On special teams and on defense, I saw some guys playing in different roles to see if I was somebody that could be expendable," Lowery recalled. "Down toward the end, I wasn’t getting reps at all. I think they kept me in case somebody were to get hurt; that’s probably why it didn't happen earlier, or what I'm guessing. I know the organization has to do what's best for them, and that’s totally understandable."

    After Lowery was traded for a conditional draft pick, Ryan cited the Jets' surplus of defensive backs and the chance for Lowery to get more playing time elsewhere.

    Lowery was charged with learning the safety position in this year's camp but also needed to be ready to step into that versatile specialist role, also called the "X" position. He found that the responsibilities of each melded together, causing confusion.

    "The more repetition, the more practice you get, the better you are going to be at something," Lowery said. "I'm getting that here. When I was with the Jets, it was tough because it seemed like they didn't really know where to put me. If you are playing a lot of different places, it's hard to become good at one thing. I get to learn how to play one thing for a year, is what it seems like it's coming down to."

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ated_bein.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 05-28-2012 at 10:03 AM.

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,300
    After reading the very last Paragraph of the above article,the name Vlad Ducasse pooped into my head.Since this kid was drafted,he has moved between OG and OT back and forth without the benefit of much of training camp ,OTAs or rookie minicamps.

    Poor guy doesn't stand a chance.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    After reading the very last Paragraph of the above article,the name Vlad Ducasse pooped into my head.Since this kid was drafted,he has moved between OG and OT back and forth without the benefit of much of training camp ,OTAs or rookie minicamps.

    Poor guy doesn't stand a chance.
    I thought the same thing, Tin. But I have seen it reported this offseason Ducasse is strickly working at RT..At least so far.


    This could be a make-or-break offseason for Vlad Ducasse, the 2010 second-round pick who has yet to take on a significant role. Ducasse said he is exclusively working at right tackle, which is where he prefers to be.

    Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said after the draft that incumbent right tackle Wayne Hunter is "competing for a position here," and Ducasse would be his competition.

    "Right now, I don’t know, but we’ll see how it goes," Ducasse said. "At the end of training camp, we’ll see how it goes."

    This is Ducasse's first full offseason with the team. He was a rookie in 2010 and the lockout took away the offseason program in 2011. He appreciates being able to work with the coaches each day, and said he's working with strength and conditioning coach Bill Hughan on things he never worked on before, which is "what I needed."

    Ducasse said the "ultimate goal" is to be a starter, but he's not sure how it will play out. He does know this year is "very, very important" to his career.

    "This is my third year, and this is the year that I'm finally getting my offseason program," Ducasse said. "So it’s a big year for me."

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ys_tony_s.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 05-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.

  12. #52
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    KJ what the heck are you talking about my man, not only was Lowery Jacksonville's best safety, but he was the best safety we had if we'd had Lowery instead of Smitty last year we probably make the playoffs. Jax went and signed him right away in the offseason, want more proof? Rex and Tanny both agreed letting go lowery was a mistake, a guy that can play both coner and safety in a pinch and excel is a rarity these days, Lowery played very well for us especially in 2010 when he had 3 picks and sealed a couple of important games. Yes i agree to root for our guys but that doesnt mean Lowery was not a solid football player, i hope Steed is half as good as Lowery was who started every game as a rookie i might add and did pretty damn good playing next to Revis, getting and playing lito Sheppard over Lowery was a big mistake, Lowery was destined to eventually play safety though and he came in to camp looking stronger than ever, watch out for him in the next few years become one of the better safeties in the league.
    The guy was a decent player for us. BUT since he was drafted you have constantly made him into something he is not: A great player! He had his moments but Rex saw something that he did not like. I dare say that Rex knows a bit about defensive personnel. Lowery's lack of recovery speed hampered him. Other teams knew it as well. He did have his moments as you have stated. I wish the guiy well in Jax except when he plays us.


    I refuse to compare STEED and LOWERY. One is a JET and the other an ex-Jet. I want the Jets to win the Super Bowl and every guy on the team has got to contribute to that goal.

    There is no doubt that the constant changing of positions from cb to safety hampered his growth. I think that same situation is hampering Joe McKnight as well as Vlad. Thats life in the NFL. Dwight was and is better suited to be a safety then a cb in the NFL. I saw a lot of Jax football last year. They have an up and coming defense but Lowery was not as good as you are once again making him out to be. I understand that you like the player. You always have. i do too as I used to live in San Jose and took many courses at San Jose State and was hoping for a gem with his selection. I just refuse to brand him as something that he is not.

  13. #53
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,300
    1 More thing.

    If Rex Ryan and whoever the secondary Coach was at the time didn't know how to use Lowery then they are alot worst at this coaching thing than i thought.
    I knew from the 1st day that Lowery would be a solid to decent FS.The guy plays alot faster when he's moving forward than when he's back peddling.Some of Lowery's best plays were when he was covering the slot receiver.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    1 More thing.

    If Rex Ryan and whoever the secondary Coach was at the time didn't know how to use Lowery then they are alot worst at this coaching thing than i thought.
    I knew from the 1st day that Lowery would be a solid to decent FS.The guy plays alot faster when he's moving forward than when he's back peddling.Some of Lowery's best plays were when he was covering the slot receiver.
    That would be Rex's guy, Dennis Thurman

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,511

  16. #56
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    203
    Well at the end of the day, He won't start. Won't be on the 53 man roster. Maybe the PS. if he's lucky. Can't compare him to Lowery either. No sense.

    He was good for the small school he went too.. nothing more and nothing less.

    Lets talk about this again later..

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    The guy was a decent player for us. BUT since he was drafted you have constantly made him into something he is not: A great player! He had his moments but Rex saw something that he did not like. I dare say that Rex knows a bit about defensive personnel. Lowery's lack of recovery speed hampered him. Other teams knew it as well. He did have his moments as you have stated. I wish the guiy well in Jax except when he plays us.


    I refuse to compare STEED and LOWERY. One is a JET and the other an ex-Jet. I want the Jets to win the Super Bowl and every guy on the team has got to contribute to that goal.

    There is no doubt that the constant changing of positions from cb to safety hampered his growth. I think that same situation is hampering Joe McKnight as well as Vlad. Thats life in the NFL. Dwight was and is better suited to be a



    safety then a cb in the NFL. I saw a lot of Jax football last year. They have an up and coming defense but Lowery was not as good as you are once again making him out to be. I understand that you like the player. You always have. i do too as I used to live in San Jose and took many courses at San Jose State and was hoping for a gem with his selection. I just refuse to brand him as something that he is not.






    Dude, why are you saying Im making him out to be Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott, when have I said he's an all pro? I said he was a solid player, you're the one putting things in my mouth I never said. Lowery was an exciting player to me because of all the things he could do, start on the outside as a rookie, play nickel in 10 and seal a couple of games, play safety when asked to, even returned punts for us. When I think of solid the name Lowery pops up in my head, he was the DeVito of the secondary, those guys are not easy to find and there's no reason to let them go, Tanny even admitted what a mistake it was to let him go, never read Tanny so openly regret a move like that.

    By the way, why can't you compare players only because you want the Jets to win the SB like it's some kind of thing that clouds everything else and precludes any kind of argument? Like some how that is a feeling that you are exclusive to? Come on now KJ!

  18. #58

    Exclamation

    QUOTE=Kentucky Jet:
    Would you please stop with the Lowery nonsense. He was not at all what you claimed. He was ok but nothing more and slow as can be.



    KJ,
    Here's the bad news for you...once Jax moved Lowery to Safety (like everybody here suggested the Jets try), he played very well. I remember 2 of his interceptions last year for them.Here's what's worse for us, Lowery is TWICE the ball-player that Eric Smith is....
    Last edited by Baddniss; 05-29-2012 at 12:04 AM.

  19. #59
    Another solid week for Steed. Playbook down pat so things slowing down as he speeds up. More pbu's for Mr. Molasses (LOL) as he strides and glides with those 4.2-4.4 guys. I never much thought about those Wonderlic test scores but I guess his 33 at school and 26 at the Combine must mean something for him. His sensorimotor integration skills must be off the charts and his visual processing speed must allow for quicker response times. Those things may need to be more carefully evaluated for validation in the evaluation process. Taylor Mayes ran a 4.28 forty but lacked reaction time so all that speed was worthless. Any thoughts on the evaluation process that solely depends on the forty with all else just window dressing? Anyhow,will continue to root for Steed until the overweight(due to genetics or overeating) lady sings.......Go J-E-T-S !!!!!

  20. #60
    Is he playing cb or they are gonna move him to safety? Seems like Ellis Lankster has the inside track for the 4 cb position according to Mike Pettine. I'm rooting for steed, seems like a good kid with skills.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us