Thread: Jets gush about Stephen Hill

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Jets gush about Stephen Hill

[QUOTE]Georgia Tech
    Jets gush about Stephen Hill

11:50 am April 30, 2012, by Ken Sugiura

Greetings-

Some post-draft tidbits for you about Stephen Hill. The Jets PR people were good enough to send me a transcript from a news conference with GM Mike Tannenbaum, college scouting VP Joey Clinkscales and senior personnel executive Terry Bradway. Some interesting stuff on Mr. Hill.

1. Tannenbaum said the team studied Demaryius Thomas’ adjustment to the NFL to get an idea of how Hill might transition from the Tech offense to the NFL, and spent a lot of time getting to know Hill. In addition to the pro day at Tech, the Jets worked him out at their facility and also in Atlanta, which lasted about an hour and a half.

Tannenbaum: “We really feel he can run all the routes we’ll ask in our offense. Again, he was a very good blocker in a run-oriented offense. He has very good football acumen and we feel the transition can happen really quickly.”

2. Clinkscales’ assessment of Hill: “He is a tall kid who can run. He is flexible, can sink his hips, he can drop his weight and get in and out of routes. More (important) than the offense is his skill set, and I think his skill set transfers to this level pretty well.”

3. Clinkscales, on if Hill reminds the Jets of anyone:

“He’s unique. He’s a 6’4 kid that weighs 215 and runs a 4.32. He’s a unique athlete, he really is. Calvin Johnson, maybe? And I’m not going to put that label on him but from a height, weight, speed moniker. He’s just a unique athlete.”

4. Tannenbaum shared an interesting detail from his interview with Hill regarding his recruitment to Tech. As presumably a lot of teams did, the Jets asked Hill why a wide receiver would play for a run-oriented offense.

Tannenbaum: “He said they were initially the only team that had offered him and he had committed to them and later on in the process a few other more traditional passing teams had offered him a scholarship, but he didn’t want to back out on his commitment,” Tannenbaum said. “I thought that was very admirable. Again, that’s not why we took him or why we were interested in him, but that was an interesting anecdote because we were asking him why would you go there knowing you’re a receiver and that they’re going to run the ball.”

If you’ll remember, Hill committed to Tech in the fall of 2008 (he had actually committed to Central Florida prior to that) before Georgia (Tennessee did, as well) made a late push, which caused Hill to waver before sticking with Tech.

5. Bradway on the transition from the Tech offense:

“I think there’s a transition for all of them, to be honest with you. With the spread offenses, they don’t normally run the NFL route tree. But it was important for us to put him through that to see that he could do it. Like I said, at the combine, at his pro day, and at his work out for us, he showed that he can do that. This guy is really coachable. He’s willing to work. With (wide receivers coach) Sanjay (Lal) and our offensive coaches, I think the upside is going to happen pretty quickly for this kid.”

6. Clinkscales on why Hill didn’t have more catches in bigger games:

“Well, I would go back to what was stated a few minutes ago. On the season they completed 64 passes. So probably against some of the better teams they weren’t completing a lot of passes. I don’t think it had anything to do with his production in those games. They had a tough time throwing the ball.”

6. Hill said that he was hoping to end up with the Jets, given the connection he’d made with coaches during the pre-draft meetings.

“They had a little bit of background on me, and I had a great background on them. I feel like I’m in the right spot.”

On playing in a pro-style offense with Mark Sanchez: “I feel great, especially now that I’m in an offense where I can catch the football a little bit more. Catching the ball from Mark Sanchez is great. I’m going to make sure I get with him as soon as possible and we’re going to try to get this thing rolling.”

On what he’ll bring to the Jets:

“A lot of big plays down the field and getting big touchdowns at the right time, of course. Other than that, I feel like I could bring a lot, especially blocking. I can definitely put somebody on their butt.”

Thanks for reading.

Ken Sugiura, Georgia Tech blog[/QUOTE]

[url]http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/04/30/more-on-jacketjet-stephen-hill/[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jul1SuOQB8M[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3P4mVHr0E[/url]

Good kid, tremendous talent. I love him already

He's awesome, I love the guy

Veteran
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQWb4NXvJc[/url]

wow..we know how fast he is, but that video really shows how strong he is and capable of going up and getting the ball

check out 1:09..

I'm not a particularly negative fan, but I don't love a pick of a guy who was a 4th - 5th round pick until the combine.

Furthermore, has there ever been a WR that caught so few balls in college and still was drafted to be a WR. so high? THe dude caught 28 balls last season, I know he's got great measurables, but I don't know... he just hasn't caught a lot of passes, ever.

This guy looks like a winner. What a blazer. Remarkable body control for someone as tall and lanky as he is. Hill could potentially be better in the final analysis for the Jets than Braylon was, never thought I'd say that.

But he'll need to pack on a bit more muscle, and show he has that same indomitable warrior mentality that BE had in abundance. Kids got all the tools though. WOW.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4455556]I'm not a particularly negative fan, but I don't love a pick of a guy who was a 4th - 5th round pick until the combine.

Furthermore, has there ever been a WR that caught so few balls in college and still was drafted to be a WR. so high? THe dude caught 28 balls last season, I know he's got great measurables, but I don't know... he just hasn't caught a lot of passes, ever.[/QUOTE]

To put it in perspective, their starting QB, Tevin Washington, only had 74 completions on the year. Andrew Luck surpassed 74 completions in his fourth game this past season. So it's not like Hill an afterthought in the passing game, it's just that they never passed. When you add it all up, his 28 receptions account for 38% of the team's completions and his 850 yards make up 50% of the team's passing yards. Not bad.

All Pro
    he is a skinny, raw .. calvin johnson.... but never the less he gets his route running down, and add 5lb+ of muscle... watch out boys

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4455556]I'm not a particularly negative fan, but I don't love a pick of a guy who was a 4th - 5th round pick until the combine.

Furthermore, has there ever been a WR that caught so few balls in college and still was drafted to be a WR. so high? THe dude caught 28 balls last season, I know he's got great measurables, but I don't know... he just hasn't caught a lot of passes, ever.[/QUOTE]

You can't catch what isn't thrown :rolleyes:

Doubting the guy on a single stat like that without any background is something Mahet would base an article on to to say he sucks but Teblow can save him cause an anonymous source told him so.:hehe:

Until I can find a video or a stat that says he dropped more catchable balls then he caught the original OP post and the video above are more than enough to make me feel positive about the guy.

Well the Jets have all their bases covered because they selected Jordan White who had 140 catches for 1911 yards receiving this past year.

Sometimes players are diamonds in the rough. yeah, he had little production, but it wasn't his fault. Its not like he played for Stanford and was the 4th leading WR despite having Luck pass to him. Gtech ran the option and when they threw the ball it was Tevin Washington who isn't even an average passer for an option offense.

All League
    Buzz, its hard not to like this kid after reading that report......however, its interesting to note that the writer noted the Jets looking at the DThomas' experience, when evaluating Hill. Jet fans should note that Thomas only caught 22 balls his rookie year for 283 yds. Just 32 his 2nd year.

IMHO Hill has a better chance to fulfill his highest potential because he seems like a hard working kid, who will do what's necessary to get better. But naming him an instant starter only adds to the mediot and fans expectations that frankly are unlikely to be met in his first couple of years. Next year his blocking is more likely to be his biggest contribution. That and being a decoy.

While Coples is more likely to be the more impactful player this season. 3 years from, I think Hill will end up being the better pick. I just wonder who is QB will be then ;)

BTW- the Jets "gush" about ALL their new players....and their current ones.
    Last edited by patsfanken; 05-01-2012 at 12:29 AM.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4455577]crash, its hard not to like this kid after reading that report......however, its interesting to note that the writer noted the Jets looking at the DThomas' experience, when evaluating Hill. Jet fans should note that Thomas only caught 22 balls his rookie year for 283 yds. Just 32 his 2nd year.

IMHO Hill has a better chance to fulfill his highest potential because he seems like a hard working kid, who will do what's necessary to get better. But naming him an instant starter only adds to the mediot and fans expectations that frankly are unlikely to be met in his first couple of years. Next year his blocking is more likely to be his biggest contribution. That and being a decoy.

While Coples is more likely to be the more impactful player this season. 3 years from, I think Hill will end up being the better pick. I just wonder who is QB will be then ;)[/QUOTE]

Bear in mind that D.Thomas had some freak injuries his first 2 years.

[quote]Thomas had a rough rookie year after leaving Georgia Tech following his junior season. In training camp, he aggravated a surgically repaired left foot that he had broken in pre-draft workouts, then sustained a concussion and high ankle sprain during the season and only played sparingly.

Then in February, Thomas was doing lateral footwork and conditioning drills at his alma mater when he felt pain in his right heel. Surgeons had to repair his torn Achilles tendon, and they told him he might miss the entire 2011 season.

“I didn’t know it was that serious because I walked off and I went home. I went to the doctor the next day. He told me it was ruptured,” Thomas said. “He said it was like 8-12 months before I get back and I asked him, what’s the fastest somebody’s ever been back? And he was like, `Five months.’

“It maybe took me six months to get back to running.”

Impressed by his speedy recovery, the Broncos elected to keep him on their 53-man roster when the season started rather than placing him on the PUP list. But in his first padded practice two days later, he got hurt again when cornerback Champ Bailey broke up a pass that struck Thomas square on his left pinkie.

“I thought it was a jammed finger, so I kept on practicing,” said Thomas, who realized it was more serious when another ball hit him on his fractured finger.

Another setback.

Another operation.

Another round of rehab.[/quote]

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4455521][url]http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/04/30/more-on-jacketjet-stephen-hill/[/url]

Good kid, tremendous talent. I love him already[/QUOTE]

Jets fans never "gush"

[IMG]http://washingtonexaminer.com/files/styles/article-main-image/public/fileL7022h[/IMG] [IMG]http://washingtonexaminer.com/files/styles/article-main-image/public/fileL7022h[/IMG] [IMG]http://washingtonexaminer.com/files/styles/article-main-image/public/fileL7022h[/IMG] [IMG]http://washingtonexaminer.com/files/styles/article-main-image/public/fileL7022h[/IMG]

Hill is making me excited about being a Jets fan again. Geez, this kid is something special.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4455577]
    [/QUOTE]

I think the Jets expectations for him will be pretty reasonable. Block, block, block - now go deep. If he catches a handful of deep passes over the course of the season (and he blocks well), I think most fans will be happy and excited for future seasons.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4455577]Buzz, its hard not to like this kid after reading that report......however, its interesting to note that the writer noted the Jets looking at the DThomas' experience, when evaluating Hill. Jet fans should note that Thomas only caught 22 balls his rookie year for 283 yds. Just 32 his 2nd year.

While Coples is more likely to be the more impactful player this season. 3 years from, I think Hill will end up being the better pick. I just wonder who is QB will be then ;)

BTW- the Jets "gush" about ALL their new players....and their current ones.[/QUOTE]
    Go listen to the presser again. he wasn't named the starter :rolleyes:
    Rex was asked if he expected his 1st 2 pics to start and said yes.
    But you know that, so I guess you are just being a di*k again. :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsonly;4455606]Go listen to the presser again. he wasn't named the starter :rolleyes:
    Rex was asked if he expected his 1st 2 pics to start and said yes.
    But you know that, so I guess you are just being a di*k again. :yes:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]When asked if Coples, the team's No. 16 overall pick, and second-round pick, wide receiver Stephen Hill, will start, Ryan was instant.
    "Yes, how's that one? Yes I do."[/QUOTE]

THAT's the direct quote, And assuming you have a passing acquaintance with English, what Rex said was that they will be the starters.

BTW- "but you know that, so I guess you are just being a di*ck again :eek:

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4455577]Buzz, its hard not to like this kid after reading that report......however, its interesting to note that the writer noted the Jets looking at the DThomas' experience, when evaluating Hill. Jet fans should note that Thomas only caught 22 balls his rookie year for 283 yds. Just 32 his 2nd year.[/QUOTE]

It's a fair comparison. Those expecting monster numbers from Hill year one, are expecting too much.

The keys that he'll bring to the table day one, are strong downfield blocking, the ability to open things up underneath by stretching their coverage (any time they send him deep, teams will have to respect it....his TD's averaged [b]55.5[/b] yards)....and potentially as a redzone threat (although that will depend on how his catching/route running comes along)

Although he'll have significantly more balls thrown his way.....I think anything over what he produced in college last year, would be gravy.

I'll gladly sign up for 28 receptions, 3-5 TD's, and even a fraction of his college yardared (400-600 would be gold, imo)

Where I think his production will be felt most though, (similarly to Coples) is in other people's #'s....I expect our running game to be more effective, both because of his blocking, and because of his ability to draw defenders from the box.....I expect Tone's #'s to see an uptick to 10' levels, with teams ability to simply double team him on every down removed.

[quote]IMHO Hill has a better chance to fulfill his highest potential because he seems like a hard working kid, who will do what's necessary to get better.[/quote]

Agreed. It's going to take time, but in 2-3 years time if Hill is able to adjust to the pro game, improve his route running, and most importantly improve his pass catching (drop 6 balls last year on minimal targets, has a propensity to be a basket/body catcher) he could develop into a legit WR1 if not top 15 at his position....the skill set/measurables are there.

[quote]But naming him an instant starter only adds to the mediot and fans expectations that frankly are unlikely to be met in his first couple of years.[/quote]

Thankfully what the mediot/fans think is largely irrelevant, both positive or negative...

[quote]While Coples is more likely to be the more impactful player this season.[/quote]

The thing I find most amusing is how much the media/fans have it completely backwards on Hill/Coples.......given Coples abilities against the run, he's a virtual stone cold lock to be a productive starter for the majority of his career, with his "motor" issues being the only thing standing between him and a perennial pro-bowl calibre career....but his actual bust rate? virtually nil.

Hill?....as talented as he is, has the potential to bust out completely if he never masters the NFL route tree, and his hands are as big as issue as they were last year (yes, yes, we all saw the highlight reel catches....but like Braylon at his worst, Hill often dropped the easy ones, due to lack of concentration and poor fundamental technique....he [i]has[/i] to clean that up, and improve at catching the ball with his hands, away from his body)

Having said that, I think his attitude and work ethic make that an unlikely outcome, but it is, (imo) a more likely outcome than Coples busting and being out of the league in 4 years.

[quote]BTW- fans "gush" about ALL their new players....and their current ones[/quote]

fyp.
    Last edited by Montana; 05-01-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Another reason I'm optimistic about Hill's ability to produce early and reach his overall upside?......Sanjay Lal.

He molded a very raw Darius Heyward Bey into a hell of a receiver by year 3 (64 receptions, 975 yards, 4 TD's)

He turned Louis Murphy (4th round pick, and poor man's Stephen Hill) into a year one producer (34 receptions, 521 yards, 4 TD's, year 1)

Took 5th round pick Denarius Moore, and turned him into a year 1 producer...(33 receptions, 618 yards, 5 TD's)

He's shown a propensity for getting WR talent NFL ready, and should be able to do so again with Hill.

[QUOTE=Montana;4455625]It's a fair comparison. Those expecting monster numbers from Hill year one, are expecting too much.

The keys that he'll bring to the table day one, are strong downfield blocking, the ability to open things up underneath by stretching their coverage (any time they send him deep, teams will have to respect it....his TD's averaged [b]55.5[/b] yards)....and potentially as a redzone threat (although that will depend on how his catching/route running comes along)

Although he'll have significantly more balls thrown his way.....I think anything over what he produced in college last year, would be gravy.

I'll gladly sign up for 28 receptions, 3-5 TD's, and even a fraction of his college yardared (400-600 would be gold, imo)

[B]Where I think his production will be felt most though, (similarly to Coples) is in other people's #'s....I expect our running game to be more effective, both because of his blocking, and because of his ability to draw defenders from the box.....I expect Tone's #'s to see an uptick to 10' levels, with teams ability to simply double team him on every down removed.[/B]

Agreed. It's going to take time, but in 2-3 years time if Hill is able to adjust to the pro game, improve his route running, and most importantly improve his pass catching (drop 6 balls last year on minimal targets, has a propensity to be a basket/body catcher) he could develop into a legit WR1 if not top 15 at his position....the skill set/measurables are there.

Thankfully what the mediot/fans think is largely irrelevant, both positive or negative...

The thing I find most amusing is how much the media/fans have it completely backwards on Hill/Coples.......given Coples abilities against the run, he's a virtual stone cold lock to be a productive starter for the majority of his career, with his "motor" issues being the only thing standing between him and a perennial pro-bowl calibre career....but his actual bust rate? virtually nil.

Hill?....as talented as he is, has the potential to bust out completely if he never masters the NFL route tree, and his hands are as big as issue as they were last year (yes, yes, we all saw the highlight reel catches....but like Braylon at his worst, Hill often dropped the easy ones, due to lack of concentration and poor fundamental technique....he [i]has[/i] to clean that up, and improve at catching the ball with his hands, away from his body)

Having said that, I think his attitude and work ethic make that an unlikely outcome, but it is, (imo) a more likely outcome than Coples busting and being out of the league in 4 years.

fyp.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head.

[QUOTE=bravesQB718;4455542][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQWb4NXvJc[/url]

wow..we know how fast he is, but that video really shows how strong he is and capable of going up and getting the ball

check out 1:09..[/QUOTE]

Not one of those passes was well-thrown.

He'll fit right in here.