Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will The Jets Explore The Veteran Free Agent Market?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Will The Jets Explore The Veteran Free Agent Market?

With the draft officially over. The Jets have areas of their football team that still need addressing. The cap is certainly a factor when it comes to all signings but many of the available veterans will not be looking to break the bank with cap heavy contracts. Here is a look at positions of interest for the Jets and the veteran free agents who are available and could help the Jets for the 2012 season.

[B]OFFENSIVE LINEMAN[/B]

[B]MARCUS MCNEIL, MAX STARKS, KAREEM MCKENZIE, VERNON CAREY,
    MARC COLUMBO[/B]

There are several other quality vets available at the guard and center positions but the Jets sole area of interest is right tackle. The argument can be made that the weakest spot on the team is right tackle and yet the Jets have failed to address this area seriously during the free agency/draft. McNeil and Starks are quality starting tackles with left tackle experience who project well to the right side. They both have medical issues that must be considered. Kareem McKenzie is a veteran who has a history with the Jets but is a player who has been on the decline. Both Columbo and Carey have experience working for Tony Sparano and Jets new line coach Dave Duglielmo. In Carey's case, He can sub at guard and tackle. Sort of a Damien Woody type versatility.

[B]DEFENSIVE BACKS[/B]

[B]CHRIS JOHNSON, KELLY JENNINGS, BRYANT MCFADDEN, KELLY JENNINGS, BENNY SAPP, YEREMIAH BELL, OJ ATOGWE, JIM LEONHARD,
    DONALD STRICKLAND,DREW COLEMAN NICK COLLINS[/B]

The Jets have openings at the back end of their roster in the defensive backfield. At corner, The 4th to 6th spots are wide open. There are several young corners on the roster who are more noted for their special teams ability. Chris Johnson recently had a visit with the Jets and would be a quality pickup by the Jets as a 4th corner with starting experience. Jennings, McFadden and Sapp are also veteran hands who could help in the nickel and dime packages. Strickland could be back and has familiarity with the Jets staff and scheme. From the safety position, The Jets addressed this area to a large extent in the draft but they could still use veteran insurance for Landry based on his durability issues in the past. Bell and Otogwe have received consideration by the Jets during this offseason. Jim Leonhard is coming off a second straight season injured but his knowledge and high character have to be considered for a possible return. I threw Nick Collins name into the mix here clearly as a long shot. If Collins were to ever be healthy, He would be an instant starter at safety but he's been released by the Packers and not cleared to return to football action due to a serious injury. He is worth monitoring though during the summer. Coleman was recently released by the Jaguars after signing a 3 year 7.4 million dollar deal. There could be a market for his services but the Jets would be a safe landing spot for him.

[B]WIDE RECEIVERS[/B]

[B]BRAYLON EDWARDS, PATRICK CRAYTON, GREG CAMARILLO,
    KASSIM OSGOOD [/B]

The general idea now is that The Jets are not going to bring in a veteran presence now after trading up for Stephen Hill and drafting Jordan White late. This would be a mistake in my opinion. Hill's upside is tremendous but his learning curve is going to be steep. Even Demaryius Thomas took three years before finally emerging. Jeremy Kerley is a 2nd year player positioned for the slot and Chaz Schilens has a history of being made of glass. If I were running the Jets, Braylon Edwards would still return. He brings a lot of good qualities to the Jets. A big physical veteran receiver who can make big plays, has familiarity with the Jets and Mark Sanchez. A great practice player who plays very hard in games. Braylon would be back if i were running things. As for the other vets mentioned on this list. Crayton and Camarillo have experience working with Tony Sparano in Dallas and Miami. Crayton can also return punts. Mike Westhoff and The Jets have always had high praise and respect for Osgood and he is mentioned here strictly for his standout ability on special teams.

[B]RUNNING BACKS[/B]
    [B]
    RONNIE BROWN, THOMAS JONES, JUSTIN FORSETT, CEDRIC BENSON, JERIOUS NORWOOD[/B]

All NFL GM's have a short list for every position in case of injury. This is not an area that I believe that the Jets will pursue going into training camp. Although the argument can be made that the Jets could use some insurance here. In Tony Sparano's system, There are A backs which represent power runners and B backs which represent the scatbacks. The Jets could use insurance for Shonn Greene if they feel that Terance Ganaway is not ready for the full load. An area that could use addressing is the Jets B backs. Joe McKnight is in a position where his role on the offense is going to be expanded and he will be expected to be the teams 3rd down back. Which means catching the football and most importantly pass blocking. Vets like Benson and Jones could be break glass in case of emergency types when it comes to Greene but the man who may be able to fill both roles as a power runner and 3rd down back would be Ronnie Brown. Not only does he have familiarity with Sparano but he would represent a quality pass blocking option to replace Tomlinson as a pass blocker. Brown's experience in the wildcat doesn't hurt.
    [B]
    BLOCKING TIGHT ENDS[/B]
    [B]
    JUSTIN PEELE, ANTHONY HILL, ANTHONY BECHT, BILLY BAJEMA, REGGIE KELLY[/B]

Not exactly a sexy list of options. As the Jets current roster is constituted. Keller and Cumberland are the receiving options at the position. Josh Baker has versatlity and roster value in that he can sub at FB and TE and may be the Jets lead blocking tight end. There is also the intriguing project rugby star Hayden Smith. If the Jets are looking for a proven vet to fill the blocking role. Their options are limited.

[B]PUNTER[/B]
    [B]
    MATT MCBRIAR, DANIEL SEPULVEDA, BRAD MAYNARD[/B]D

Again, The Jets options are limited in this area. The Jets have already addressed their kicker situation by providing competion for Nick Folk with Josh Brown. T.J. Conley had a medicore season in 2011 and could use some competition in camp himself. McBriar and Sepulveda are interesting young options for the role and remain unsigned.
    [B]FINAL SUMMARY[/B]

The Jets are going with a youth movement at several spots on their roster. That's ok if they are a rebuilding team but the Jets are a team that feels it can contend for a playoff spot in the AFC just like they did last season. The Jets should absolutely address these areas over the course of the next month. As a Jets fan, I would feel much more secure about the Jets if they signed Marcus McNeil, Braylon Edwards, Chris Johnson and Jim Leonhard.
    Last edited by LeonM; 05-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Jim Leonhard is healthy they have already said they will resign him I believe. I would think so on OL. I think we will have at least one OL going on the IR to start the year so unless one of our BUs wow right off the bat I do see them signing a FA OL. I do not think anyone on that list will be it though. More then likely we will trade for an OL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post

I would think that Leonard and Vern Carey are possibilities to be added to the team.

Carey was drafted and played for Sparano at RT, I wonder if they give him a look? If healthy, he would make the most sense out of any other RT available.

Leonard IMO is a possibility, but the Jets have really gone young this off-season at the position, figure Bush and/or Allen will be on the team and rotating in some capacity with the defense, especially Bush. Leonard could still be brought in to start with Landry, if healthy, and Rex can slowly bring in and rotate the younger guys.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The O-Tackles you have listed are all pretty unappealing. Only McNeil could really be decent, and he's had back issues for his entire career (dating back to college.) The rest of those guys are Guards or done.

I don't see the Jets signing a veteran Right Tackle until training camp starts and some cuts are made.

Atogwe or Leonhard would be good rotational Safeties.

I still say bring back Braylon.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4455794]If Jim Leonhard is healthy they have already said they will resign him I believe. I would think so on OL. I think we will have at least one OL going on the IR to start the year so unless one of our BUs wow right off the bat I do see them signing a FA OL. I do not think anyone on that list will be it though. More then likely we will trade for an OL.[/QUOTE]

Who do you believe that the Jets will trade for at the o-line spot? Trades require the Jets giving up something in return.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give me Starks or Carey, Otogwe, and Braylon, and let's play football.

Say no to McNeil, McKenzie, Leonhard & Sapp.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4455801]Good post

I would think that Leonard and Vern Carey are possibilities to be added to the team.

Carey was drafted and played for Sparano at RT, I wonder if they give him a look? If healthy, he would make the most sense out of any other RT available.

Leonard IMO is a possibility, but the Jets have really gone young this off-season at the position, figure Bush and/or Allen will be on the team and rotating in some capacity with the defense, especially Bush. Leonard could still be brought in to start with Landry, if healthy, and Rex can slowly bring in and rotate the younger guys.[/QUOTE]

Leonard and Edwards should both be back in my opinion.

Carey makes sense but he had a poor 2011 campaign and I wonder if that effects Sparano's thinking since he worked with him exclusively last year.

McNeil is still young. If he checks out medically, I sign him and plug him in at RT.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LeonM;4455816]Leonard and Edwards should both be back in my opinion.

Carey makes sense but he had a poor 2011 campaign and I wonder if that effects Sparano's thinking since he worked with him exclusively last year.

McNeil is still young. If he checks out medically, I sign him and plug him in at RT.[/QUOTE]

Vernon Carey projects as a guard at this point.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post. The only things I would add to the list would be:

1. An OLB that can set the edge on first and 2nd downs. Bryan Thomas is that guy now, but we need insurance there - particularly with his age and coming off the serious injury.

2. Possibly a veteran RB. If Greene goes down, I'm not sure we have someone who can carry the load. I know a lot of people like Ganaway, but it might be a lot to ask of a 6th round rookie to be a primary NFL back if needed. Someone like Ronnie Brown (who Sparano is obviously familiar with) may be a possibility - if we can get him cheap.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PMarsico9;4455821]Vernon Carey projects as a guard at this point.[/QUOTE]

I look at Carey as a swingman who has starting experience at guard and tackle plus knows the jets staff and blocking scheme. Seems like a fit to me.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MykePM;4455839]Great post. The only things I would add to the list would be:

1. An OLB that can set the edge on first and 2nd downs. Bryan Thomas is that guy now, but we need insurance there - particularly with his age and coming off the serious injury.

2. Possibly a veteran RB. If Greene goes down, I'm not sure we have someone who can carry the load. I know a lot of people like Ganaway, but it might be a lot to ask of a 6th round rookie to be a primary NFL back if needed. Someone like Ronnie Brown (who Sparano is obviously familiar with) may be a possibility - if we can get him cheap.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was going to list RB's as well as blocking TE's. Jets need insurance for McKnight. A 3rd down back type. Perhaps a Justin Forsett.

Brown could be interesting but how many roles can he fill. Not mentioning Thomas Jones who is also out of a job.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it's realistic to think Hill is a day one starter. I would bring Edwards back. I would sign Bell and an experienced corner.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly do not understand this love fest for Braylon. He had a major knee injury. I think we are pretty set at WR now, Hill is our #2 opposite Santonio with Kerley in the slot and upside guys like Schilens, Gannaway, White, Riley and Payne.

I do agree that we need an OL though. Tanny would be foolish to start the season with the tandem of Ducasse and Hunter. I would like to see Carey or a trade for a veteran guy.

BTW, I saw somewhere than during his combine Hunter benched 225 36 times.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post....I think we will see a signing at CB, OL, WR (maybe), and S.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JoePNYJ1;4456052]I honestly do not understand this love fest for Braylon. He had a major knee injury. I think we are pretty set at WR now, Hill is our #2 opposite Santonio with Kerley in the slot and upside guys like Schilens, Gannaway, White, Riley and Payne.

I do agree that we need an OL though. Tanny would be foolish to start the season with the tandem of Ducasse and Hunter. I would like to see Carey or a trade for a veteran guy.

BTW, I saw somewhere than during his combine Hunter benched 225 36 times.[/QUOTE]

Braylon was a great Jet. Jets missed him last year. He was our leading receiver, a deep threat with physicality and a strong work ethic. It's foolisg to expect Hill to be the man right out the gate.

Hunter and Devito are the two strongest players on the Jets.Jets

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LeonM;4456256]Braylon was a great Jet. Jets missed him last year. He was our leading receiver, a deep threat with physicality and a strong work ethic. It's foolisg to expect Hill to be the man right out the gate.

Hunter and Devito are the two strongest players on the Jets.Jets[/QUOTE]

Key word being WAS...its time to move on. Hill does not need to run multiple routes he just needs to get open and block for our RBs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JoePNYJ1;4456271]Key word being WAS...its time to move on. [B]Hill does not need to run multiple routes he just needs to get open and block for our RBs[/B].[/QUOTE]

I'm all for this being a strength, but I mean, the guy has to run routes...He's an NFL WR, and in order for him to get open he's going to have to do so running a route. If not, every fast guy with some height would be an NFL starter....

I LOVE the Hill pick, and think he is going to contribute immediately in some areas and take more time in others, but eventually will hopefully be our #1.

I'd be for bringing Braylon in for depth.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carey I'd like at RT or even LG with Slauson kicking out to RT. Carey's familiarity with Sparano's offense would be a big plus.

All the Jets need is a JAG at RT and it would be a substantial upgrade. Hunter was one of the worst OT in football last season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;4456287]Carey I'd like at RT or even LG with Slauson kicking out to RT. Carey's familiarity with Sparano's offense would be a big plus.

All the Jets need is a JAG at RT and it would be a substantial upgrade. Hunter was one of the worst OT in football last season.[/QUOTE]

Sparano just moved Carey to guard last year in favor of Colombo who pretty much sucks...

There's no way he's going to sign Carey and then move him back to RT.

Common sense guys.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly guys, I think Ducasse is winning the job out of camp and Hunter will go back to what he did well which was being a swing tackle/blocking TE. I think this is the plan that Tanny has. He wants to see if Ducasse improves with Sparanos new system. Training camp will dictate whether this will be successful or not. If Ducasse struggles again then I can see them signing a guy.