Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Post Draft Questions Facing the Jets

7 Post Draft Questions Facing the Jets

I wrote this on my little bull**** blog and wanted to share it.. the 7 questions facing the Jets after the draft.. It's but I'll post it here if thats ok. Here's the link: [url]http://sportsdonn.blogspot.com/2012/04/post-draft-questions-facing-jets.html[/url]

Part 1:

[QUOTE]Q: No Offensive Tackles were drafted. Does that mean we have to suffer through another season of Wayne Hunter starting?
    Well, maybe. He’s certainly the front-runner at this point, but the Jets are going to do whatever they possibly can to avoid this. Ideally they’d like to put Hunter back in a “swing tackle” role where he can backup several positions and play 5-10 snaps a game as a blocking tight end, which is a role he excelled at prior to last season. That part sounds good. The not so good? I believe they’re going to hand the starting job to... (hope you’re sitting down) 2010 2nd round pick Vladimir Ducasse. And the crazier part is I actually have a feeling Ducasse can thrive in this new power scheme installed by Tony Sparano. Please stop laughing. Given a full off-season with the coaching staff for the first time in his career will be huge for Ducasse, who we all knew was a major project coming out of college. Also, keep an eye on backup Austin Howard, who the organization is supposedly very high on.

Q: What can we expect from Quinton Coples this year?
    Whatever Quinton Coples does this year, it won’t be enough for some Jets fans and we'll have to hear comparisons to Vernon Gholston. Please, try to keep your expectations in check. Coples isn’t going to be getting 20 sacks this year. If he gets 6 sacks or so and plays stout run defense, that would be a very successful rookie season. And that’s about what I expect from him in his inaugural campaign. He’s an excellent run defender and will pick up a few sacks, but his real value is that he’s extremely strong and athletic, which will force opposing offenses to game plan for him and double-team him frequently. That will open things up for the outside rushers (more on this later). The motivation concerns with Coples have been extremely overblown, and I expect Rex Ryan to get Coples to play up to his immense potential.

Q: Will Stephen Hill be the #2 WR?
    Most likely. A lot of Jets fans would like to see Braylon Edwards back, but I just don’t see that happening at this point after the Chaz Schilens signing and the Stephen Hill 2nd round selection. The most likely scenario is Santonio Holmes and Hill starting on the outside, Jeremy Kerley in the slot, with Schilens or Patrick Turner as the #4 receiver. Ideally, I’d rather see Braylon on the roster instead of Schilens, but that’s unlikely to happen. Also, don’t rule out 7th round pick Jordan White from making the roster in a backup role. Anyway, while Hill’s numbers as a rookie likely won’t be eye-popping even as a starter, his 4.3 speed is going to provide the deep threat this offense badly needs to open up the run game, and he’s going to provide punishing blocking on the outside, which is a key to this offensive scheme. Hill has the chance to be a big time player, and since he doesn’t need a sun dial to time his 40 yard dash time, he will give defenses much more to worry about than Plaxico Burress did last year.

Q: No Outside Linebackers were added this offseason. Why?[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by LeonSilver; 05-01-2012 at 01:53 PM.

The rest

[QUOTE]There are two parts to this answer. First, I think that Rex Ryan and the coaching staff have very high hopes for Aaron Maybin, who was a godsend last year and led the team in sacks. Maybin made great strides last year after being a bust in Buffalo, and with a whole offseason with Rex and Mike Pettine, I think he can easily approach double digit sacks this season. Secondly, rather than reach in the draft or overpay in free agency for players on the outside, it’s pretty clear that Rex’s strategy was to bring back Bryan Thomas to hold the fort, and bolster the line up front with Coples and Mohammad Wilkerson opening things up for everyone else by collapsing the pocket. That is going to make it much easier for Maybin, Calvin Pace and others to rush from the outside. Also, keep an eye on Ricky Sapp, a 2010 draft pick of the Eagles who the Jets coaching staff has some hope for.

Q: What does the Safety position look like now?
    Well, unfortunately Eric Smith is still slated to be a starter, which makes approximately zero Jets fans happy to hear. Alongside him will be free agent signing LaRon Landry, who has a ton of ability, but comes with injury concerns. If he stays healthy, he’ll be a major upgrade over what we saw last year though. Backing them up will likely be a a low-cost veteran, whether it’s former-Dolphin Yeremiah Bell or our old friend Jim Leonhard. Neither one of them has signed, but it makes a ton of sense to bring one of them in, because behind the starters, we only have special teamer Tracy Wilson and a threesome of rookie safeties coming in. There’s 6th round pick Josh Bush, who excels in man-to-man coverage and is considered a very smart player. Also, 7th round pick Antonio Allen has a chance to make this team. He’s got good size and lined up across from tight ends as more of a safety/linebacker hybrid player in college, so he could be a great fit in Rex Ryan’s defense. Undrafted free-agent Ryan Steed is more of a long-shot, but it wasn’t too long ago he was considered a mid-round prospect. I expect two of these young guys to make the team and contribute, both on defense and on special teams.

Q: With the Coples and Demario Davis picks, can we expect to see more 4-3 looks?
    Hard to say, but I think this is certainly a possibility, especially on 3rd downs. Demario Davis has great speed and can help a great deal on passing downs, covering tight ends and running backs over the middle of the field in place of Bart Scott. A lack of speed at linebacker and safety is something that has obviously killed the Jets for the past two seasons, which led to the Davis pick. On the line, we can see some big looks with Coples and Wilkerson at end with Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito or Kenrick Ellis at tackle. We can also see looks with Maybin and Pace at end, and Coples and Wilkerson rushing inside. Rex has a bunch of versatile players now, which is something he covets from his players. As usual, we’ll mostly see a lot of hybrid looks instead of a traditional 4-3 or 3-4 from Rex.

Q: Why does the team draft a Running Back every year?
    Good question. The answer is probably because they’ve yet to find “the one”. Shonn Greene had a solid season last year, but is not an upper echelon player. Joe McKnight has contributed mostly on special teams. John Conner took a step back last year at fullback. Bilal Powell looks like a bust. And that led to the selection of Terrance Ganaway in the 6th round this year. He’s 240 pounds, runs hard, and can catch the ball. I expect him to make the team, and we’ll see a lot of rotating at the position. And of course, don’t forget that we’ll see a lot of Tim Tebow running the ball as well. You didn’t think we’d go an entire column without mentioning Tebow, did you? [/QUOTE]

What does everyone else think are the biggest questions facing the Jets now that the draft is over?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=LeonSilver;4456200]

What does everyone else think are the biggest questions facing the Jets now that the draft is over?[/QUOTE]

We're an option running college powerhouse in the NFL with flip-flopping QBs. This should end well.

Thanks, Silver. Good read.

To me the biggest questions are Sanchez and Sparano. I think the draft has made the defense better. But even though Hill is a good pick, the offense depends on the young QB and the new OC. And the offense has to be much better if we're going to have a chance.

Actually I think there is a good chance Smith and Leonhard are gone and we go with our draftees.

Also, I think Connor is gone.

Vlad actually played well at times last year, and what I heard is that we had a complete "frankenstein" at OL with Schotty protections for passes, as wellas both zone and man schemes in the running game.

With a significantly simplified approach I think he can excel.

[QUOTE=LeonSilver;4456200]The rest

What does everyone else think are the biggest questions facing the Jets now that the draft is over?[/QUOTE]

The achillies heel for this team might be the RB position. Green is workmanlike at best. He cant catch and has little wiggle. If the plan is to ground and pound it helps to have an upper eschelon RB or two.

I think Sanchez will be fine and the issues at RT are overblown. A veteran can be added (ala Woody) at RT if Vlad/Hunter/Howard all bust.

Still need to add a blocking TE and a low cost veteran at Safety.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=I against I;4456397]We're an option running college powerhouse in the NFL with flip-flopping QBs. This should end well.[/QUOTE]

:P

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Whichever writer includes Gholstons name within 5 words of Coples should just shoot themselves for being a lazy moron. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=bullitt929;4456412]Thanks, Silver. Good read.

To me the biggest questions are Sanchez and Sparano. I think the draft has made the defense better. But even though Hill is a good pick, the offense depends on the young QB and the new OC. And the offense has to be much better if we're going to have a chance.[/QUOTE]
    I actually think that Sparano is a big improvement over Shoddy given that he is more fundamentally sound and based on his game calling doesn't overthink things. Instead his style is more aligned to the Jets roots of smashmouth, playaction football. Wonder why Jets stuck so long with the carbuncle son of Marty

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4456485]I actually think that Sparano is a big improvement over Shoddy given that he is more fundamentally sound and based on his game calling doesn't overthink things. Instead his style is more aligned to the Jets roots of smashmouth, playaction football. Wonder why Jets stuck so long with the carbuncle son of Marty[/QUOTE]

here's hoping turner can block the guy in front of him.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4456481]Whichever writer includes Gholstons name within 5 words of Coples should just shoot themselves for being a lazy moron. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The irony. :rolleyes:

Call someone else lazy, but is lazy enough himself to not read the next sentence for context and perspective.

I hate the idea of drafting at OL to improve the OL immediately. Rookie struggles are inevitable and even the best go thru it. I didn't want to see us try and improve that position thru the draft. Getting veteran guys is always the best way to do that there. The NFL protection schemes, zone running and protections, and etc creates such a big learning curve. We can get another veteran free safety thru free agency, hopefully an outside LB that wasn't uses properly like we got Maybin last year, a receiver, and bring in a veteran O linemen who can play both sides of the tackle to add depth.

Also what's going on with Rob Turner? Will he be back? Cause that adds depth to the O Line as well as an extra o linemen and also can play any position at the line. His injury hurt us big time last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;4456555]The irony. :rolleyes:

Call someone else lazy, but is lazy enough himself to not read the next sentence for context and perspective.[/QUOTE]

Irony?

Did he do just that?

Sorry, not getting the point. Does every/any lineman taken with our first automatically get VGs name in a write up? From any angle? Fueling the flames is all that does. Sorry you don't get it.

is coples really just going to be a down lineman? i think i can see him stand up like abraham used to do and replace thomas on some downs. as for the lack of an lb choice, it all starts up front. the jets promise to have a really monster dline and that will help out scott, thomas, harris and pace. and getting pressure on the qb's will also help the secondary.

as for the oline, imo it was all on schitty. he had lousy blocking schemes and left hunter out on an island. even with the same personnel, sparano should make those guys play much better and stay in rhythm.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4456717]I hate the idea of drafting at OL to improve the OL immediately. Rookie struggles are inevitable and even the best go thru it. I didn't want to see us try and improve that position thru the draft. Getting veteran guys is always the best way to do that there. The NFL protection schemes, zone running and protections, and etc creates such a big learning curve. We can get another veteran free safety thru free agency, hopefully an outside LB that wasn't uses properly like we got Maybin last year, a receiver, and bring in a veteran O linemen who can play both sides of the tackle to add depth.

Also what's going on with Rob Turner? Will he be back? Cause that adds depth to the O Line as well as an extra o linemen and also can play any position at the line. His injury hurt us big time last year.[/QUOTE]

Turner signed with somebody. Tennessee maybe?

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4456450]The achillies heel for this team might be the RB position. Green is workmanlike at best. He cant catch and has little wiggle. If the plan is to ground and pound it helps to have an upper eschelon RB or two.

I think Sanchez will be fine and the issues at RT are overblown. A veteran can be added (ala Woody) at RT if Vlad/Hunter/Howard all bust.

Still need to add a blocking TE and a low cost veteran at Safety.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you regarding the RB position. With ground and pound the Jets need a workhorse and Greene is no workhorse.

[QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;4456555]The irony. :rolleyes:

Call someone else lazy, but is lazy enough himself to not read the next sentence for context and perspective.[/QUOTE]

Yeah really. The point was that Jets fans SHOULDN'T automatically compare a DL prospect to our most famous bust, but its going to happen no matter what because unfortunately some Jets fans just don't get it. At least you saw that ;)

[QUOTE=RIJetFan;4456770]Turner signed with somebody. Tennessee maybe?[/QUOTE]

St. Louis.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Montana;4458205]St. Louis.[/QUOTE]

yep

took the money to doom his chances of any further success by joining the Son of Marty trainwreck in St Loo