Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mangini regrets turning in Patriots over videotaping

Mangini regrets turning in Patriots over videotaping

I have lost all respect for Mangini.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ca952/article/mangini-regrets-turning-in-patriots-over-videotaping?module=HP11_headline_stack[/url]

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
    Around The League editor
    Published: May 1, 2012 at 06:02 p.m. Updated: May 1, 2012 at 06:39 p.m.

Eric Mangini sat next to his former New England Patriots player, Tedy Bruschi, on ESPN's "NFL Live" set Tuesday, looking like he'd rather be anywhere. This was squirm-in-your-seat television, an awkward moment that Mangini is forced to re-live in some fashion every time Spygate is brought up.

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh's comments about the Patriots' Super Bowl titles being "tainted" in the public's eyes brought up the topic. Mangini, who was an assistant in New England before taking over the New York Jets and Cleveland Browns, has previously said he regrets turning in the Patriots in 2007, but he never expressed his remorse with as much depth as he did Tuesday.

"If there is a decision I could take back, it's easily that decision," Mangini said, according to ProFootballTalk.com. "Never in a million years would I have wanted it to go this way. It's disappointing whenever it comes up. It's regret, it's disappointment, it's all of those things. Because I know what it took to win those Super Bowls, and I have so much respect for the people that were involved there. I'm disappointed that this is what it's translated into."

Mangini has chosen a life in the media, so the videotaping scandal isn't a topic he'll be able to avoid. Former Patriots such as Bruschi wind up playing defense when the story takes on a new, artificial life of its own.

"To have guys like Tedy have to defend the championships that we earned in New England, and to have anything taken away from the Kraft family, from Coach (Bill) Belichick, and the players and coaches that have meant so much to me, never in a million years did I think it was going to translate into what it was going to translate into," Mangini said. "And it doesn't tarnish what we achieved there. It doesn't tarnish what they achieved after the fact. I think when you look at the history of success that they had after that incident, it's pretty obvious that it didn't play any type of significant role in the victories we had or the success that we had."

(Cue the moronic: "But they haven't won a title since!" crowd.)

The whole story is a little depressing, especially listening to Mangini. He understands well it's part of his legacy, if not the biggest part of his legacy. It sounds like he lives with his regret every day.

I'm the happiest person he did. I thank him for that. I thank him for showing the Pats[SIZE="7"]*[/SIZE] true colors. Nothing but cheating cowards. Tainted!!!!

Mangini wants another coaching job. That's all.

Probably because he's been essentially blackballed by the league, nobody wants to bring in Mangini now because they're worried he'll bolt in a couple years and then air their dirty laundry whenever it becomes convenient for him to do so. He'd be better off taking the moral high ground and continuing to collect nice paychecks from ESPN.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;4456798]Probably because he's been essentially blackballed by the league, nobody wants to bring in Mangini now because they're worried he'll bolt in a couple years and then air their dirty laundry whenever it becomes convenient for him to do so. He'd be better off taking the moral high ground and continuing to collect nice paychecks from ESPN.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he was blackballed for exposing the Spygate conspiracy; the Browns did hire him shortly after he was fired by the Jets.

All Pro
    Hes backballed for sucking as a coach.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The rat wants back on the ship.

enjoy the broadcasting gig Eric. You're going to be doing it a loooooooong time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4456804]Hes backballed for sucking as a coach.[/QUOTE]

and that bad acting on the Sopranos

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;4456802]I don't think he was blackballed for exposing the Spygate conspiracy; the Browns did hire him shortly after he was fired by the Jets.[/QUOTE]

I'd say being hired by the Browns is [I]evidence[/I] of being blackballed by the league

[QUOTE=Equilibrium;4456802]I don't think he was blackballed for exposing the Spygate conspiracy; the Browns did hire him shortly after he was fired by the Jets.[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between being considered for a HC job and a Defensive Coordinator. Eric Mangini isn't going to turn himself in for cheating, obviously. But Defensive Coordinators often become rival Head Coaches, and you don't want to give him the blueprint for any shady business you might be doing that he can later use against you, like how he used Spygate against Bill Belicheck.

[QUOTE=Joe Willie White Shoes;4456795]Mangini wants another coaching job. That's all.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Hall Of Fame
    Truth is Mangini regrets it because in retrospect, he realized he probably should have kept his mouth shut, done the same cheating himself, and would probably still have a job. Maybe even a couple Super Bowl wins.

So he would much rather BB still be video taping and have 3-4 more SB winns under his belt.

You can't say that taping was the reason they won, but you can't deny the fact that it assisted, therefore the question will always and forever be, would they have won, no less made it there had they not been taping, botom line and end of story.

Mangini did nothing wrong, cheating should always be exposed, especialy in sports.

any NE fan that can be comfortable with what BB did has no sence of decency and can't be trusted as well.

I am not here to take anything away from a great coach in BB, he did that himself, but I would be completely dissipointed had it been my coach, especialy since they can't seem to back up the SB wins, not that I do not wish teh Jets where as competitive as the Pats have been.

But they haven't won a title since!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;4456806]The rat wants back on the ship.

[/QUOTE]

Dont disagree, but kudos for admitting the ship was sinking.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Does anybody really believe this? BTW this is kind of old news. He said something similar when he first started at ESPN.

This is all part of him trying to rehab his image in hopes of getting another job. Has anybody watched him on ESPN? He is like a politician. Never says anything bad about anyone.

[QUOTE=canadianjetsfan;4456791]I have lost all respect for Mangini.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ca952/article/mangini-regrets-turning-in-patriots-over-videotaping?module=HP11_headline_stack[/url]

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
    Around The League editor
    Published: May 1, 2012 at 06:02 p.m. Updated: May 1, 2012 at 06:39 p.m.

Eric Mangini sat next to his former New England Patriots player, Tedy Bruschi, on ESPN's "NFL Live" set Tuesday, looking like he'd rather be anywhere. This was squirm-in-your-seat television, an awkward moment that Mangini is forced to re-live in some fashion every time Spygate is brought up.

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh's comments about the Patriots' Super Bowl titles being "tainted" in the public's eyes brought up the topic. Mangini, who was an assistant in New England before taking over the New York Jets and Cleveland Browns, has previously said he regrets turning in the Patriots in 2007, but he never expressed his remorse with as much depth as he did Tuesday.

"If there is a decision I could take back, it's easily that decision," Mangini said, according to ProFootballTalk.com. "Never in a million years would I have wanted it to go this way. It's disappointing whenever it comes up. It's regret, it's disappointment, it's all of those things. Because I know what it took to win those Super Bowls, and I have so much respect for the people that were involved there. I'm disappointed that this is what it's translated into."

Mangini has chosen a life in the media, so the videotaping scandal isn't a topic he'll be able to avoid. Former Patriots such as Bruschi wind up playing defense when the story takes on a new, artificial life of its own.

"To have guys like Tedy have to defend the championships that we earned in New England, and to have anything taken away from the Kraft family, from Coach (Bill) Belichick, and the players and coaches that have meant so much to me, never in a million years did I think it was going to translate into what it was going to translate into," Mangini said. "And it doesn't tarnish what we achieved there. It doesn't tarnish what they achieved after the fact. I think when you look at the history of success that they had after that incident, it's pretty obvious that it didn't play any type of significant role in the victories we had or the success that we had."

(Cue the moronic: "But they haven't won a title since!" crowd.)

The whole story is a little depressing, especially listening to Mangini. He understands well it's part of his legacy, if not the biggest part of his legacy. It sounds like he lives with his regret every day.[/QUOTE]

first of all, he has no legacy..

second of all, his use of the word "we" means he realizes he didnt do **** with jets or browns and wants to save face on the brightspot on his resume for a coaching job...

and the crowd that says "they haven't won a title since being exposed" is far from moronic.

All League
    to hell with magini's regrets.. he's made some pretty good money as a coach & now has a sweet gig with ESPN.. i regret the league swept spygate under the rug after lightly slapping the back of NE's hands.. BB should have been suspended for a full season.. period..

I don't get it. Didn't newspaper articles report that Josh McDaniels was telling people in Denver how they cheated (not using that word) back in N.E.? I don't see how Mangini is the only snitch. McDaniels was re-hired by N.E.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=32green;4456848]Dont disagree, but kudos for admitting the ship was sinking.

-[/QUOTE]

Where did I say that? :confused: