Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets are going all in with Aaron Maybin

The Jets are going all in with Aaron Maybin

Most Jets fans and members of the media felt that the Jets #1 priority in the draft would be to draft an edge rushing outside linebacker. The majority of mock drafts by Jets fans and the media had New York drafting Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones, Courtney Upshaw, Whitney Mercilus, Nick Perry or even Shea McClellin at 16. The Jets front office had a shot at all of those players when they were on the clock and they didn't take a single one of them.

When the dust eventually settled from the entire draft. The Jets didn't draft one single player who projected to be a 3-4 edge rushing outside linebacker.

That has to be a major vote of confidence towards Aaron Maybin. A player who the Jets front office mistakenly cut at the start of last season. "Mayhem" turned out to be the Jets best pass rusher last season after being discarded at the start of 2011. Aaron Maybin is back with a one year contract and the feeling is that he can be even better than he was on the fly with the Jets last season. With a full offseason of conditioning and training with the Jets coaching staff. Aaron is expected to be better in 2012 than he was in 2011. At times last season, It looked like Aaron was a one trick pony. A speed rusher who relied on all out hustle and very little technique. He played like his hair was on fire and his career was hanging in the balance and it was.

By the Jets not signing or drafting an edge rushing outside linebacker, It clearly shows me that the Jets have high hopes for Maybin in year two in their defensive system. The expectations have to be that Aaron will be a double digit sack performer in 2012. It's a big gamble on a guy who was treated like a spare part at times last season. Maybin redeemed himself and saved his career last year. One of the few bright spots on the Jets entire roster. Can he take his game to the next level this year and be the star pass rusher that the team has not had since John Abraham.

Veteran
    Aaron Maybin will be a better player because of Coples. Wilkerson too. Ingram has a high motor but is on the smaller side. Ingram will likely be most effective as a 3rd down edge rusher. The Jets believe they already have that in Maybin. Coples will hopefully provide an inside pass rush as well as stop the run. Everyone agrees he was virtually unblockable at the Senior Bowl. If you want to beat Brady, you bring pressure UP THE MIDDLE. That is what Coples does. If pressure comes off the edge, the golden boy just steps up and/or slides in the pocket and delivers. The Coples pick really could work out great.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 05-01-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    With the badass DL that we're building, we don't really need a stud OLB.

I think if Maybin bulks up a little and becomes a little more stout against the run, he can be a bigtime contributor on this defense and give you 8-10 sacks a year.

The talent is obviously there.

Hall Of Fame
    1.5 million is not exactly "all in". The cupboard is not bare if he flames out.

More like "all upside" if you ask me.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4456855]With the badass DL that we're building, we don't really need a stud OLB.

I think if Maybin bulks up a little and becomes a little more stout against the run, he can be a bigtime contributor on this defense and give you 8-10 sacks a year.

The talent is obviously there.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4456859]1.5 million is not exactly "all in". The cupboard is not bare if he flames out.

More like "all upside" if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Sums it up perfectly.

If he turns out to be a stud, great. But let's surround him with so much talent that even a 1/2stud will get the job done . . .

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4456855]With the badass DL that we're building, we don't really need a stud OLB.

The talent is obviously there.[/QUOTE]

So maybin blows up this year and goes and gets 40mill in FA.

If the jets truly believe in him they would sign him to a deal like jcotch years ago before the season starts. Somthing like 5/25 that escalates and allows him to be a fa at a reasonable age.

It would be great to see him take it to the next level.

[QUOTE=KR;4456865]So maybin blows up this year and goes and gets 40mill in FA.

If the jets truly believe in him they would sign him to a deal like jcotch years ago before the season starts. Somthing like 5/25 that escalates and allows him to be a fa at a reasonable age.[/QUOTE]

If he blows up because he's "that good", then yeah, we have a tough decision on our hands.

But if he simply shows what speed can do with that much power up front, he'd be replaceable if necessary . . .

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4456859]1.5 million is not exactly "all in". The cupboard is not bare if he flames out.

More like "all upside" if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

What I mean by "all in" is that if the Jets thought that Maybin was a fluke. They would have rushed immediately to look for a better alternative. They didn't.

Aaron Maybin is expected to be the Jets best pass rusher on the team next season. As for cupboards being bare, There's no question that the Jets defensive line is the most talented and deepest d-line that they have had in years but from an outside pass rushing perspective in the 3-4. It's Maybin and maybe Pace that's it. It's not like the Jets are stacked with pass rushing talent at OLB. Bryan Thomas is a seal the edge type outside linebacker in this scheme and Garrett McIntyre is just a marginal talent with no pass rush ability.
    Last edited by LeonM; 05-01-2012 at 10:13 PM.

If he blows up and leaves as a FA, we'll take the compensatory pick.

[QUOTE=KR;4456865]So maybin blows up this year and goes and gets 40mill in FA.

If the jets truly believe in him they would sign him to a deal like jcotch years ago before the season starts. Somthing like 5/25 that escalates and allows him to be a fa at a reasonable age.[/QUOTE]

You got to have a lot of cap room to do something like that. The bottom line is that the Jets have high expectations and faith in Aaron Maybin if they didn't. They would have drafted or signed an alternative. Proof is in the pudding.

[QUOTE=RoadFan;4456847]Aaron Maybin will be a better player because of Coples. Wilkerson too. Ingram has a high motor but is on the smaller side. Ingram will likely be most effective as a 3rd down edge rusher. The Jets believe they already have that in Maybin. Coples will hopefully provide an inside pass rush as well as stop the run. Everyone agrees he was virtually unblockable at the Senior Bowl. If you want to beat Brady, you bring pressure UP THE MIDDLE. That is what Coples does. If pressure comes off the edge, the golden boy just steps up and/or slides in the pocket and delivers. The Coples pick really could work out great.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. Very smart football observation. Inside pass rush is key and that's what Coples [U]will[/U] provide.

He'll get the same amount of sacks this year, maybe a couple more.

he has no moves. last year his sacks were all speed rush/coverage sacks.

with an improved rush, i'd expect he gets fewer time to "come back into the pocket" from the deep deep deep backfield.

[QUOTE=Darth Vader;4456884]He'll get the same amount of sacks this year, maybe a couple more.

he has no moves. last year his sacks were all speed rush/coverage sacks.

with an improved rush, i'd expect he gets fewer time to "come back into the pocket" from the deep deep deep backfield.[/QUOTE]

I am willing to bet that Maybin is better in year two than he was in year one with the Jets and the Jets front office and coaching staff knows it and expects that to be the case.

I am projecting 10 to 12 sacks for Maybin in 2012.

Hall Of Fame
    Maybin isnt going to command a lot of money even if he gets 10 sacks.

Teams realize that he is a scheme specific player who cannot play 3 downs.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sN29oUIqLk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sN29oUIqLk[/URL]

Veteran
    as you said..one trick pony who was playing like his career depended on it. so what is to stop him from hustling or just not good enough cuz of "1 trick"

[QUOTE=Play2Win;4456908]as you said..one trick pony who was playing like his career depended on it. so what is to stop him from hustling or just not good enough cuz of "1 trick"[/QUOTE]

Please repeat. I don't understand the question.

No one is going to question Maybin's effort level after what they saw last season. His effort and athleticism is what helped him make an impact.

I feel that with a full offseason of training and coaching. Maybin will have more than just one trick this coming season. Actions speak louder than words but judging by the Jets front office and coaching staff's actions. It looks like they believe that Maybin is going to be better in 2012.

[QUOTE=chillywilly;4456903][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sN29oUIqLk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sN29oUIqLk[/URL][/QUOTE]

haha that was the shortest highlight reel i've ever seen. 3 solid plays.

I agree that the Jets are counting on this guy.... Bryan Thomas is coming off of injury and then you have Calvin Pace, after that there is nothing but Maybin and McIntre. If he can build off of last season, that would be great for our defense.

The Jets drafted Coples to rush the passer, he wasn't drafted just to take up blockers in a 5 technique. I think they believe that Wilkerson and Coples can bring interior pressure, Coples can rush the passer inside and outside. If we get more interior pressure, it would help Maybin get more sacks. A QB can't step up which leaves him vulnerable to Maybin.