Thread: Buccaneers sign Eric LeGrand

Buccaneers sign Eric LeGrand

Great, classy move!!

TAMPA, Fla. -- In a symbolic gesture, the [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/tam/tampa-bay-buccaneers"]Tampa Bay Buccaneers[/URL] signed Rutgers defensive tackle [URL="http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/382171/eric-legrand"]Eric LeGrand[/URL], whose career was ended by a spinal cord injury, on Wednesday morning.

LeGrand played for Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano at Rutgers. In an Oct. 16, 2010 game against Army, LeGrand suffered fractures of two vertebrae and a spinal cord injury.

LeGrand initially was told he would be a quadriplegic and would have to remain on a ventilator. Five weeks later, LeGrand began breathing on his own. Later, he became able to stand upright with the aid of a metal frame.

LeGrand resumed his studies last spring. He led the Scarlet Knights onto the field for an Oct. 29, 2011 game and has remained very close with Schiano.

"Leading up to the draft, I couldn't help but think that this should've been Eric's draft class," Schiano said. "This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his character, spirit and perseverance. The way Eric lives his life epitomizes what we are looking for in Buccaneer Men."

The Bucs also decided to make the signing on May 2, to symbolize LeGrand's college number (52).

LeGrand is planning to graduate next fall with a degree in labor studies.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7881254/tampa-bay-buccaneers-sign-injured-rutgers-dt-eric-legrand-symbolic-gesture?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    Classy move by Schiano and the Bucs.

Jets Insider VIP
    great move by Schiano

now watch the Jackasses of the NCAA revoke any of his remaining scholarship at Rutgers because he is a "professional"

All Pro
    Nice move by Schiano.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=sg3;4457176]great move by Schiano

now watch the Jackasses of the NCAA revoke any of his remaining scholarship at Rutgers because he is a "professional"[/QUOTE]

Agree
    I could see the NCAA doing something classless like that.

Very nice move by Schiano and the Bucs.
    I had the opportunity to meet LeGrand last year before the Pinstripe Bowl. The entire Rutgers team was taking a tour of the World Trade Center Memorial...and they were waiting for their team buses in my office building lobby. I walked up to LeGrand, introduced myself and offered my congrats on the Sports Illustrated recognition. He was an incredibly humble, personable guy. We spoke for about 5 minutes and I could tell...this guy is headed for a really bright future in life.

Banned
    High class move by Schiano and the Bucs. Very cool.

[QUOTE=sg3;4457176]great move by Schiano

now watch the Jackasses of the NCAA revoke any of his remaining scholarship at Rutgers because he is a "professional"[/QUOTE]

If he is signed by Tampa, wouldn't he be receiving pay? If the scholarship is based on financial need, why would he still [U]need [/U]the scholarship?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Great move by the Bucs.

I'm surprised sg3 didnt say he's better than most of the Pats draft picks.

All Pro
    Damn near teared up. Nice work Coach.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FF2;4457233]Great move. he's better than most of the Pats draft picks.[/QUOTE]

+1

Good for LeGrand, that's awesome. It'd be cool if the Bucs sold his jersey.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Its good Tampa is not on our schedule this season. Hed be a tough match up for Hunter.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Dupe;4457308]Its good Tampa is not on our schedule this season. Hed be a tough match up for Hunter.[/QUOTE]

Kinda wrong, but still lol-worthy.

Classy gesture by Schiano, for sure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Classy move.

[QUOTE=NPTJET53;4457231]If he is signed by Tampa, wouldn't he be receiving pay? If the scholarship is based on financial need, why would he still [U]need [/U]the scholarship?[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's getting any money out of this. It's like a 1 day contract for a vet to retire with the team.

What a classy move by Greg Schiano and the Buccaneers organization.

It puts so much in perspective about life and football. Congrats Eric!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4457272]+1

Good for LeGrand, that's awesome. It'd be cool if the Bucs sold his jersey.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: for the edit

Cool move, but what does this do? Does this make LeGrand feel better that he was signed to a one day contract even though he unfortunately will never get to play again?

I think it'd be cooler if they signed him to a one year league minimum contract, which would pay him something, or if they sold his jerseys and gave him a cut as Paulie mentioned...but this doesn't do a single thing. It might actually have an unintended negative reaction to LeGrand's way of thinking.

[QUOTE=Dupe;4457308]Its good Tampa is not on our schedule this season. Hed be a tough match up for Hunter.[/QUOTE]

Dude,I laughed out loud.That's friggin great:D

Extremely classy move by the Bucs. Great job Schiano.