Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 NFL Draft: Analyzed 3 Years Later

2009 NFL Draft: Analyzed 3 Years Later

[url]http://nysportsnut.com/2009-nfl-draft-analyzed-3-years-later/[/url]

Slauson has turned out to be decent. That was great scouting.
    As for Sanchez and Greene, we're still trying to find out if they are the long-term starters for us

Undrafted Free Agent
    Prisco's Pats grade that year. I would really like to see immediate grades vs 3 years later by these so called experts.

New England Patriots analysis Grade

Best pick: There were many who thought Connecticut corner Darius Butler would be a first-round pick. The Pats did a great job getting him in Round 2.
    Questionable move: Taking North Carolina receiver Brandon Tate in the third round. He has character issues and is coming off an ACL injury.
    Second-day gem: Linebacker Tyrone McKenzie, their fifth-round pick, was a productive player at South Florida who will bring more athleticism to a position that needs it.
    They added some good players and even added a second-round pick in next year's draft. Bill Belichick gets it. B+

[QUOTE=Cyberjet;4457901]Prisco's Pats grade that year. I would really like to see immediate grades vs 3 years later by these so called experts.

Best pick: There were many who thought Connecticut corner Darius Butler would be a first-round pick. The Pats did a great job getting him in Round 2.
    Questionable move: Taking North Carolina receiver Brandon Tate in the third round. He has character issues and is coming off an ACL injury.
    Second-day gem: Linebacker Tyrone McKenzie, their fifth-round pick, was a productive player at South Florida who will bring more athleticism to a position that needs it.
    They added some good players and even added a second-round pick in next year's draft. Bill Belichick gets it. B+[/QUOTE]

Lmao, I don't think any of those 3 guys are even on the pats anymore, meanwhile jets have Sanchez, Greene, and Slauson.

Wonder what the jets grade was???

Prisco gave jets a b+ too in 2009, can't kill him for that

All League
    [QUOTE=Cyberjet;4457901]Prisco's Pats grade that year. I would really like to see immediate grades vs 3 years later by these so called experts.

They added some good players and even added a second-round pick in next year's draft. Bill Belichick gets it. B+[/QUOTE]

LMAO, this is comedy gold

Pete Prisco is a clown.

Belichick could draft a table, a flower pot, and a water bottle with his first 3 picks and they'd give him a B+.

The 09 draft gave us 3 starters. None of been spectacular, but Sanchez and Greene played major roles in those playoff wins, and both can still raise their game to a new level, especially Sanchez.

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4457897]Slauson has turned out to be decent. That was great scouting.
    As for Sanchez and Greene, we're still trying to find out if they are the long-term starters for us[/QUOTE]

I like Greene, but unless next years RB market is as soft as this years market was, probably not. Given the dime-a-dozen nature of the RB position, it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest big dollars into the position, especially when all these guys are just about done at Age 30. But hey, if Peyton Hillis is worth 1/3, Benjarvis Green-Ellis is worth 3/9, Mike Tolbert is worth 4/8.4 and Michael Bush is worth 4/14 then maybe the prices for Greene will be reasonable as well.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;4458005]I like Greene, but unless next years RB market is as soft as this years market was, probably not. Given the dime-a-dozen nature of the RB position, it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest big dollars into the position, especially when all these guys are just about done at Age 30. But hey, if Peyton Hillis is worth 1/3, Benjarvis Green-Ellis is worth 3/9, Mike Tolbert is worth 4/8.4 and Michael Bush is worth 4/14 then maybe the prices for Greene will be reasonable as well.[/QUOTE]

To be fair Green ran behind a crap line, and he was never given a chance to get into rthyme.

[QUOTE=mavericknyc1980;4458007]To be fair Green ran behind a crap line, and he was never given a chance to get into rthyme.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I like Greene, I think he's a #1 RB in this league.

But my point was unless the money is reflective of that he plays a dime a dozen position (ie: Under 5 mill per year, possibly even under 4 depending on what kind of year he's coming off of next year), I wouldn't re-sign him, I would look to draft the next Greene in next years draft. I just don't believe in paying big bucks to a RB.

Even three years later the analysis of the Titans draft as usual is garbage. First eight players picked are still on the roster and four are solid starters (the Titans McCourty played better than his Patriot twin brother did last year). This nets them a C-?

"New York Sports Nut" should probably stick to writing about things New Yorkish. Just sayin.

That blog has atrocious grammar.

[QUOTE=mavericknyc1980;4458007]To be fair Green ran behind a crap line, and he was never given a chance to get into rthyme.[/QUOTE]

Schotty didn't give Greene a chance to get in rhythm, but that was partially due to the fact that Greene's not of much use in obvious passing downs.

Also, the run blocking was good last year. Our poor yards per carry is almost entirely due to our lack of long runs. Long runs are almost entirely the product of the back breaking a tackle or making someone miss.

We were 7th in adjusted line yards (Line doesn't get credit for any yardage gained after the first 10 yards of a run, and only gets 50% of the credit for yards 5-10 of a run. Each yard lost on a running play counts for 120%.)

We were 9th in power running situations. (% of runs on 3rd or 4th & 2 or less that result in a first down or touchdown. Something that makes me hate Schotty even more. Why the hell were we throwing on 3rd & short so often?)

We were 4th best at avoiding stuffed runs. (Rushes for no gain or negative yardage)

On the other hand...

We were 28th in 2nd level yards

We were 32nd, dead last, in open field yards.

Open field yards seem to be the best indicator of running back play. The top 8 teams were: Carolina (Newton/Stewart/Williams), Buffalo (Jackson/Spiller), Minnesota (Peterson), Philly (McCoy/Vick/Young), Baltimore (Rice), Atlanta (Turner), Oakland (McFadden), and Chicago (Forte). Carolina and Baltimore were 5th and 6th in line yards, but Minnesota, Chicago, Philly, and Atlanta were all in the bottom half, with Chicago, Philly, and Atlanta all in the bottom 8.

The bottom 8 were: Us, Cleveland, the Pats, the Giants, Cinci, KC, Green Bay, and Washington. Cinci, KC, Cleveland, and the Giants were in the bottom half of the league in line yards. The Pats were 2nd in line yards, to our 7th, and find themselves in the same position as us: with a running game held back by poor production from the backs.

Greene gets as far as the offensive line takes him, and that's it. He's not good, he's average...or at least he was last year. I'm hopeful that he'll take a step forward this year, along with the rest of the offense.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4458035]Schotty didn't give Greene a chance to get in rhythm, but that was partially due to the fact that Greene's not of much use in obvious passing downs.

Also, the run blocking was good last year. Our poor yards per carry is almost entirely due to our lack of long runs. Long runs are almost entirely the product of the back breaking a tackle or making someone miss.

We were 7th in adjusted line yards (Line doesn't get credit for any yardage gained after the first 10 yards of a run, and only gets 50% of the credit for yards 5-10 of a run. Each yard lost on a running play counts for 120%.)

We were 9th in power running situations. (% of runs on 3rd or 4th & 2 or less that result in a first down or touchdown. Something that makes me hate Schotty even more. Why the hell were we throwing on 3rd & short so often?)

We were 4th best at avoiding stuffed runs. (Rushes for no gain or negative yardage)

On the other hand...

Open field yards seem to be the best indicator of running back play. The top 8 teams were: Carolina (Newton/Stewart/Williams), Buffalo (Jackson/Spiller), Minnesota (Peterson), Philly (McCoy/Vick/Young), Baltimore (Rice), Atlanta (Turner), Oakland (McFadden), and Chicago (Forte). Carolina and Baltimore were 5th and 6th in line yards, but Minnesota, Chicago, Philly, and Atlanta were all in the bottom half, with Chicago, Philly, and Atlanta all in the bottom 8.

The bottom 8 were: Us, Cleveland, the Pats, the Giants, Cinci, KC, Green Bay, and Washington. Cinci, KC, Cleveland, and the Giants were in the bottom half of the league in line yards. The Pats were 2nd in line yards, to our 7th, and find themselves in the same position as us: with a running game held back by poor production from the backs.

Greene gets as far as the offensive line takes him, and that's it. He's not good, he's average...or at least he was last year. I'm hopeful that he'll take a step forward this year, along with the rest of the offense.[/QUOTE]

You are definitely one of the best posters on this board, hands down.

To those who like to throw out stats without substance like "4 playoff wins" or "top-10 defense," THIS is how you support your argument with the right stats. Well done man.

And agree with you and Venom on Greene - he's an average to above-average back who can be a #1, but is definitely a product of his blocking.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4458071]You are definitely one of the best posters on this board, hands down.

To those who like to throw out stats without substance like "4 playoff wins" or "top-10 defense," THIS is how you support your argument with the right stats. Well done man.

And agree with you and Venom on Greene - he's an average to above-average back who can be a #1, but is definitely a product of his blocking.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much. I find it frustrating listening to analysts on TV talk about gross yardage statistics. We're beyond that point now. Numbers are never going to be able to reflect a football game the way they can a baseball game, but ESPN and NFLN could do a better job of educating fans.

Hall Of Fame
    Unfortunately for Greene, he does not have Cro "trying" to tackle him anymore.

Slauson is turning out to be a nice pick. And to think he was neck and neck with Vlad in 2010.

As much as I killed Cally for being overrated (I still think he is), I have to give him credit for Slauson.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-02-2012 at 11:02 PM.

LOL...the Giants and Pats drafts sucked in 2009.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4458035]Schotty didn't give Greene a chance to get in rhythm, but that was partially due to the fact that Greene's not of much use in obvious passing downs.

On the other hand...

Greene gets as far as the offensive line takes him, and that's it. He's not good, he's average...or at least he was last year. I'm hopeful that he'll take a step forward this year, along with the rest of the offense.[/QUOTE]

This is full of win. Where did you find these stats? I'd like to check it out because I imagine there is more interesting stuff on their. Is it Football Outsiders?

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4457897]Slauson has turned out to be decent. That was great scouting.[/QUOTE]

Not really great scouting... Callahan coached him and said draft this guy... It happened to work out...

[QUOTE=TheMo;4458646]This is full of win. Where did you find these stats? I'd like to check it out because I imagine there is more interesting stuff on their.[B] Is it Football Outsiders?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yup. Great site. They try to break things down into per play efficiency, and they're always tinkering.