Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coples ready to become great as a Jet- CBS Sports

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Coples ready to become great as a Jet- CBS Sports

Jets’ First-Rounder Quinton Coples: ‘I’m Ready To Become Great As A Jet’
    May 2, 2012 2:45 PM
    Joe & Evan, NFL, Radio.com - Sports, Sports, Syndicated Sports, Syndication

Joe & Evan, New York Jets, NFL Draft, Quinton Coples, Rex Ryan NEW YORK (WFAN) - Jets first-round pick Quinton Coples took a few minutes to speak with Joe & Evan on WFAN on Wednesday afternoon, and the defensive end discussed the kind of player he is, responded to criticism about his dedication and revealed whether or not he knew Jets coach Rex Ryan was going to select him at No. 16.

The North Carolina alum said he’s just as comfortable playing on the outside as he is playing on the inside as a tackle, and more importantly, it seems that he doesn’t have much of a preference as long as he’s able to contribute.

“I’m willing to play anywhere on the defensive line,” Coples said. “I’m comfortable at any position, and I don’t really have a specific position that gets me going. I love all the positions on the defensive front.”

When asked about whether he knew the Jets would draft him if he were still on the board at No. 16, the six-foot-six, 284-pounder revealed that when he visited the Jets, Ryan informed him that New York would take him if he were available when they were on the clock. Though Coples admitted that he was never positive that he would be a Jet, he was confident in his chances because “Rex is a man of his word.”

The 21-year-old considers himself a big-time pass rusher, something that the Jets desperately need.

“I trust that the Jets’ staff and everybody that’s incorporated around me is going to convert me into one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL,” Coples exclaimed. “I think they’re definitely going to prepare me to be an elite pass-rusher.”

In the days following the Jets’ selection of Coples, many have written and reported that the two-time All-ACC player slacked off a bit in his senior year and has a tendency to take off plays.

Coples deflected this perceived criticism, simply stating, “I’m a Jet now, I’m in the NFL now. I’m proud to be a Jet and I’m ready to move forward. I’m ready to become great as a Jet.”

[

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4457907]Jets’ First-Rounder Quinton Coples: ‘I’m Ready To Become Great As A Jet’
    May 2, 2012 2:45 PM
    Joe & Evan, NFL, Radio.com - Sports, Sports, Syndicated Sports, Syndication

Joe & Evan, New York Jets, NFL Draft, Quinton Coples, Rex Ryan NEW YORK (WFAN) - Jets first-round pick Quinton Coples took a few minutes to speak with Joe & Evan on WFAN on Wednesday afternoon, and the defensive end discussed the kind of player he is, responded to criticism about his dedication and revealed whether or not he knew Jets coach Rex Ryan was going to select him at No. 16.

The North Carolina alum said he’s just as comfortable playing on the outside as he is playing on the inside as a tackle, and more importantly, it seems that he doesn’t have much of a preference as long as he’s able to contribute.

“I’m willing to play anywhere on the defensive line,” Coples said. “I’m comfortable at any position, and I don’t really have a specific position that gets me going. I love all the positions on the defensive front.”

When asked about whether he knew the Jets would draft him if he were still on the board at No. 16, the six-foot-six, 284-pounder revealed that when he visited the Jets, Ryan informed him that New York would take him if he were available when they were on the clock. Though Coples admitted that he was never positive that he would be a Jet, he was confident in his chances because “Rex is a man of his word.”

The 21-year-old considers himself a big-time pass rusher, something that the Jets desperately need.

“I trust that the Jets’ staff and everybody that’s incorporated around me is going to convert me into one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL,” Coples exclaimed. “I think they’re definitely going to prepare me to be an elite pass-rusher.”

In the days following the Jets’ selection of Coples, many have written and reported that the two-time All-ACC player slacked off a bit in his senior year and has a tendency to take off plays.

Coples deflected this perceived criticism, simply stating, “I’m a Jet now, I’m in the NFL now. I’m proud to be a Jet and I’m ready to move forward. I’m ready to become great as a Jet.”

[[/QUOTE]

Im all in. Gonna buy my daughter (UNC alum) his jersey upon his first sack!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic!!!

Now this is what I am talking about!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be news if he said anything else.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope he's right, they just let Ropati go. I liked him.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be really nice though just to hear from Coples WHY he disappointed in his senior season? If the guy has a legitimate excuse then lets hear it. We all, as Jets fans, want him to succeed. Therefore, we'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Him not divulging any information makes me think he's looking to cover something up. Like maybe he's actually a sh*tbag just trying to get paid?

Not saying that is the case, but look at it this way...

The guy has been drafted and no matter what his excuse is the Jets are still going to try to make him into a premiere pass rusher. That won't change. So what can it hurt to just be totally forthcoming?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will a be rooting for this to happen.

We are desperate for a conventional pass rush.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    beat me to it. everyone expects players/coaches to say inciteful things. most times it's either drivel or mubles (like the bellichicken). at least rex comes out with some pretty interesting zingers.

[QUOTE=Owen Reed;4457932]It would be news if he said anything else.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4457941][B][I]I think it would be really nice though just to hear from Coples WHY he disappointed in his senior season? If the guy has a legitimate excuse then lets hear it.[/I][/B] We all, as Jets fans, want him to succeed. Therefore, we'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

[I][B]Him not divulging any information makes me think he's looking to cover something up. Like maybe he's actually a sh*tbag just trying to get paid?[/B][/I]

The guy has been drafted and no matter what his excuse is the Jets are still going to try to make him into a premiere pass rusher. That won't change. So what can it hurt to just be totally forthcoming?[/QUOTE]

Having 4 different DLine coaches and playing for a program blasted by NCAA infractions is not reason enough??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4457941]I think it would be really nice though just to hear from Coples WHY he disappointed in his senior season? If the guy has a legitimate excuse then lets hear it. We all, as Jets fans, want him to succeed. Therefore, we'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Him not divulging any information makes me think he's looking to cover something up. Like maybe he's actually a sh*tbag just trying to get paid?

[/QUOTE]

He moved from Left DE to Right DE his Senior Year, it's been said that it might have been a contributing factor in his struggles, particularly over the first half of the season. To Coples credit, he's not using this as an excuse though since it would likely be seen as "ripping his coaches" if he did do so.

There's also some belief that perhaps he was playing not to get hurt with the impending payday on the line. Which speaks to maybe a little immaturity, but I don't think he's a bad kid. If anything, it speaks to the toxic situation that was going around in North Carolina. His Head Coach was fired in July for NCAA violations that occured under his tenure and things kind of went downhill from there. In hindsight, it would have been in Coples best interest to declare for last years draft and avoid that situation entirely. He likely would have been a top 10 player had he done so.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HoustonJET;4457972]Having 4 different DLine coaches and playing for a program blasted by NCAA infractions is not reason enough??[/QUOTE]

I agree with this........

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did anybody actually hear this interview? I did.. it was pretty brutal haha.

At least he said all the right things and is looking forward to getting on the field, that's the most important thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I just haven't seen it, but I wonder if anyone has talked to Butch Davis about the kid.

He apparently lit it up under Butch, then came down to earth without him. Maybe Butch could shed some light on whether he believed it was due to position changes, coaching changes, "coasting" before entering NFL, etc.

I'd also like to hear what Wilk has to say about the guy he played with in HS . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to love this pick, can't wait to see him in action.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4457984]Maybe I just haven't seen it, but I wonder if anyone has talked to Butch Davis about the kid.

He apparently lit it up under Butch, then came down to earth without him. Maybe Butch could shed some light on whether he believed it was due to position changes, coaching changes, "coasting" before entering NFL, etc.

I'd also like to hear what Wilk has to say about the guy he played with in HS . . .[/QUOTE]

Mo Wilk told the Jets Coples is a great teammate and a better player than he is.

As far as Butch Davis, I think it's probably a little bit of all those things you mentioned that affected his production his senior year. Coples admitted himself that he was trying to avoid injury, so that probably had a lot to do with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LeonSilver;4457994][B]Mo Wilk told the Jets Coples is a great teammate and a better player than he is.[/B]

As far as Butch Davis, I think it's probably a little bit of all those things you mentioned that affected his production his senior year. Coples admitted himself that he was trying to avoid injury, so that probably had a lot to do with it.[/QUOTE]

Hadn't heard that -- thanks. Let's hope he's right!

I guess I figured since Butch played a major role in the kid's life, he'd have more insight than all these scouts/reporters jumping to conclusions . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;4457978]He moved from Left DE to Right DE his Senior Year, it's been said that it might have been a contributing factor in his struggles, particularly over the first half of the season. To Coples credit, he's not using this as an excuse though since it would likely be seen as "ripping his coaches" if he did do so.

There's also some belief that perhaps he was playing not to get hurt with the impending payday on the line. Which speaks to maybe a little immaturity, but I don't think he's a bad kid. If anything, it speaks to the toxic situation that was going around in North Carolina. His Head Coach was fired in July for NCAA violations that occured under his tenure and things kind of went downhill from there. In hindsight, it would have been in Coples best interest to declare for last years draft and avoid that situation entirely. He likely would have been a top 10 player had he done so.[/QUOTE]

watch you tube highlights from his senior year. he's double teamed a lot. and he gets a lot of pressures. i also read he had a few sacks negated b/c of penalties by his teammates. the guy is a stud. i believe his production is highly dependent on his environment. the guy was very close to butch davis and was unstoppable as a junior. rex is the perfect coach for him and having wilkerson, his high school buddy, facilitates the transition. just watch highlights. he gets penetration every other play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4457984]Maybe I just haven't seen it, but I wonder if anyone has talked to Butch Davis about the kid.

I'd also like to hear what Wilk has to say about the guy he played with in HS . . .[/QUOTE]

Big Mo sang Coples praises to REX . He said that he was a great teammate and a better player then he was! he would absolutely love to have him as a teammate again!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=stanner;4457937]Hope he's right, they just let Ropati go. I liked him.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

No offense stanner but that made me chuckle. I wasn't a huge fan of the Coples pick but he's got more talent in his pinky than Pito does in his entire 6'8" body.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He becomes a big time pass rusher, and the entire dynamics of the defense changes.