Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets waive Ropati Pitoitua

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yet Wayne Hunter still has a job.....:shakehead

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the guy had potential, so either we're making a mistake that will come back to haunt us, or we've just raised the bar of what it takes to make this team (specifically DL). Let's hope it's the latter . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4457943]Yea. Bit of a log jam on the DL.

I like MTV and Dixon over him. I also have hopes for Ellis.

Next man out might be Devito.[/QUOTE]

I am fine with letting Ropati go since we got Coples now... But if they release Devito I will be pissed, hes a really good run stuffer and can play NT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pati plays too tall . Sux for him..:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4457949]Don't forget the Jets signed DE Jay Richardson a few weeks ago..5th Round pick of Oak back in '07[/QUOTE]

Yep, good post. This is the player I was thinking about when hearing of the release.

Jets have a real logjam at DE

Coples DE/OLB
    Wilkerson DE
    Dixon DE/DT
    Pouha DE/NT
    Devito DE/DT
    Richardson DE

Ellis DT/NT
    Tevaseu DT/NT

My next thought, it could have been a release to save cap money, and the team could bring him back at vet min to compete for a position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad player but the worst of our defensive linemen, there's just no room for him, and the cap savings can be used on an offensive linemen or safety, where we are a little thin. It'll probably be Leonhard.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4457968]Braylon is not coming back. We traded up for a WR. Once that happened it sealed Braylons fate here. We will be going with what we have.

This move was hopefully made so we can sign a veteran OT.[/QUOTE]

I disagree,once Rex sees the inexperience at WR he has and the ramifications it will have on his QB he will have no choice to bring Braylon Edwards back. No way he goes into the season with that WR corps.

An offensive OL man is a definite need.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4458004]I am fine with letting Ropati go since we got Coples now... But if they release Devito I will be pissed, hes a really good run stuffer and can play NT.[/QUOTE]

He makes $3,330,000 next year, with none of it guaranteed. I can see them giving him the Kellen Clemens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not real shocking he was simply the least talented of what looks like our 5 DTs. If we saved that much it is a no brainer. Devito is an odd one to me. I am a little bummed we couldn't trade him during the draft. If we couldn't get a 5th out of him then we are just better off paying him one more year. We still have plenty of room under the cap so no use throwing away a useful guy. I really think Dixon flat out looked better then Devito last year but if we keep 5 DTs I wouldn't mind over paying for Devito. Ellis is still a question mark and Pouha will likely be more of a part time starter. Devito, Ellis, and Pouha would make a good rotation. I can't see any run game wearing that down with Wilk next door. The only team I could still see asking about him is Dallas who could use anything at 3-4 DE. A 33 year old Coleman, Hatcher and Spears is very weak on that line. No way Coleman continues to produce like he has. If we can somehow steal Victor Butler I wouldn't argue. Given the run games Dallas is facing this year I was shocked DE was not a HIGH draft priority. I could so see them over paying to add a guy like Devito.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4458004]I am fine with letting Ropati go since we got Coples now... But if they release Devito I will be pissed, hes a really good run stuffer and can play NT.[/QUOTE]

I would be shocked if they let DeVito go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vito has prob gained 10 or so more lbs and ready to backup Pouha by now.. I will see for myself upstate NY Cortland, when TC starts in late july early Aug.;) CANT WAIT!!:cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Colts are switching to a 3-4. I'm surprised we didn't trade Pitoitua there. Maybe DeVito will be sent instead. In any case I'd much rather keep DeVito unless the $$ saved can be converted into a RT.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;4458040]The Colts are switching to a 3-4. I'm surprised we didn't trade Pitoitua there. Maybe DeVito will be sent instead. In any case I'd much rather keep DeVito unless the $$ saved can be converted into a RT.[/QUOTE]

I think we are overrating Pito. He'll get a look somewhere but he isnt worthy of a draft pick.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4457948]The house cleaning starts. [B]He will surely wind up in NE.[/B][/QUOTE]
    +1 Should have traded him out of the division for conditional 7th in 2018

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    so much for rex raving about him last offseason

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TJ;4458045]+1 Should have traded him out of the division for conditional 7th in 2018[/QUOTE]

In order to trade, you need a partner. Teams surely could figure out who was on the bubble after we drafted Coples. All they had to do was wait for him to be cut in order to sign him. I doubt there will be a big rush to sign him. He was ok but not as good as some are making him out to be. No passrush at all and he did get pushed back in the run game as big as he is.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4458049]In order to trade, you need a partner. Teams surely could figure out who was on the bubble after we drafted Coples. All they had to do was wait for him to be cut in order to sign him. I doubt there will be a big rush to sign him. He was ok but not as good as some are making him out to be. No passrush at all and he did get pushed back in the run game as big as he is.[/QUOTE]

Just kidding KJ ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex looking to go faster, lighter, and younger.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet80;4458048]so much for rex raving about him last offseason[/QUOTE]

Rex raves about all his players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4457968]Braylon is not coming back. We traded up for a WR. [/QUOTE]

Reading this tells me you have no idea who Hill is.