Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big deal he made it up...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Big deal he made it up...

[B]Obama: 'New York girlfriend' was composite[/B]

[B][SIZE=2]By [URL="http://www.politico.com/reporters/DylanByers.html"]DYLAN BYERS[/URL] | 5/2/12 12:08 PM EDT [/SIZE][/B]

One of the more mysterious characters from President Obama's 1995 autobiography [I]Dreams From My Father[/I] is the so-called 'New York girlfriend.' Obama never referred to her by name, or even by psuedonym, but he describes her appearance, her voice, and her mannerisms in specific detail.
    But Obama has now told biographer David Maraniss that the 'New York girlfriend' was actually a composite character, based off of multiple girlfriends he had both in New York City and in Chicago.
    "During an interview in the Oval Office, Obama acknowledged that, while Genevieve was his New York girlfriend, the description in his memoir was a “compression” of girlfriends, including one who followed Genevieve [Cook] when he lived in Chicago," Maraniss writes in his [URL="http://www.davidmaraniss.com/new.htm"]new biography[/URL], an excerpt of which was [URL="http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/06/young-barack-obama-in-love-david-maraniss"]published[/URL] online today by Vanity Fair.
    ([URL="http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/75817.html"]Also on POLITICO: Obama's Osama surprise[/URL])
    Though [I]Dreams From My Father[/I] is an autobiography, and hence non-fiction, Obama makes no mention of this "compression,"nor is their any note by the publisher, Broadway Books[I].[/I] In fact, Obama only acknowledged the "compression" after Maraniss learned that Cook had no recollection of some of the events at which Obama said she was present.
    "In Dreams from My Father, Obama chose to emphasize a racial chasm that unavoidably separated him from the woman he described as his New York girlfriend," Maraniss writes, before offering a passage from the book in which they go to see a play by a black playwright. He continues:
    [INDENT]None of this happened with Genevieve. She remembered going to the theater only once with Barack, and it was not to see a work by a black playwright. When asked about this decades later, during a White House interview, Obama acknowledged that the scene did not happen with Genevieve. “It is an incident that happened,” he said. But not with her. He would not be more specific, but the likelihood is that it happened later, when he lived in Chicago. “That was not her,” he said. “That was an example of compression I was very sensitive in my book not to write about my girlfriends, partly out of respect for them. So that was a consideration. I thought that [the anecdote involving the reaction of a white girlfriend to the angry black play] was a useful theme to make about sort of the interactions that I had in the relationships with white girlfriends. And so, that occupies, what, two paragraphs in the book? My attitude was it would be dishonest for me not to touch on that at all … so that was an example of sort of editorially how do I figure that out?” [/INDENT]Broadway Books, a division of Random House's Crown Publishing Group, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

[URL]http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/05/obama-ny-girlfriend-was-composite-character-122272.html[/URL]
    ---

no problem, right fellas?

Jets Insider VIP
    No, not really. At least not in comparison to his [I]failed policies and lack of leadership as President[/I].

This line did make me laugh though: [I]"My attitude was it would be dishonest for me not to touch on that at all"[/I].

Lol @ that would be dishonest of me...

[QUOTE=jetswin;4458310]
    no problem, right fellas?[/QUOTE]

Right.

All Politicians are, in some form, liars and manipulators. All of them.

All Autobiographies contain, in one form or another, factual lies and dishonesties of perception, both conscious and unconscious. Thats human nature.

As such, yes, there is no problem here.

The 2012 Campaign will not be won on this type of "issue" by the Republicans, and I would opine that the continued obsession on the "right" in general with these kinds of items will actually work against the Republicans on election day. If you recall, the various "Rev. Wright, Friend of Weather Underground Terrorists, Alinskyite, Farrakhan lover!" stories in the leadup to the 2008 election had very little effect on the election. It will have even less so this time round.

The President now has a clear, factual resume of policy promises, actions and decisions, and their ramifications, made as the President. If I were an (R), that is where I would concentrate my efforts, not on fluff items of minimal relevance or import such as this. The (R) already hates him, the (D) already love him, it's the middle that needs to be convinced. "Composite Girlfriend" wins far less voters than say, "Broke all his promises on Patriot Act, Guantanimo, Personal Liberty of Citizens and Waging War for Oil, and here is how...".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I somewhat agree fudging his autobiography is not a huge issue, however I also tend toward thinking most of the man's history is a lie. We already know he has no problems speaking lies, I guess writing them is a whole bunch easier.

carry on President BO.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4458342]
    If you recall, the various "Rev. Wright, Friend of Weather Underground Terrorists, Alinskyite, Farrakhan lover!" stories in the leadup to the 2008 election had very little effect on the election. [/QUOTE]

Untrue. It had a huge impact on the election. In favor of Obama.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4458342]
    The President now has a clear, factual resume of policy promises, actions and decisions, and their ramifications, made as the President. If I were an (R), that is where I would concentrate my efforts, not on fluff items of minimal relevance or import such as this. The (R) already hates him, the (D) already love him, it's the middle that needs to be convinced. "Composite Girlfriend" wins far less voters than say, "Broke all his promises on Patriot Act, Guantanimo, Personal Liberty of Citizens and Waging War for Oil, and here is how...".[/QUOTE]

Where have I heard this before (in less words)? ;)

Not really an issue; his record will determine whether or not he should get another term.

But I am curious as to the timing of this "controversy" :rolleyes: Here is the president of the United States who went through an entire election season as well as almost 4 years in the most powerful office in the world. And now a story about his book (which has been out for 17 years) surfaces 7 months before the election.

It never ends.....:rolleyes:

Genevieve came from Miami F-L-A
    Hitch hiked his way across the USA
    Plucked his eyebrows along the way
    Shaved his legs and then he was a she

She said "Hey Barry, take a walk on the wild side"

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4458501]Not really an issue; his record will determine whether or not he should get another term.

But I am curious as to the timing of this "controversy" :rolleyes: Here is the president of the United States who went through an entire election season as well as almost 4 years in the most powerful office in the world. And now a story about his book (which has been out for 17 years) surfaces 7 months before the election.

It never ends.....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I think it says a lot more about the media's vetting process in 2008 and the biases of some bloggers in 2012 than it says about Obama. This is very minor nit-picking in the face of all the things that we know and don't know about Obama.

I don't care who he banged or how much cocaine he used in his youth. The guy has done a bad job as president. He will be fired in November because of poor job performance not because of this nonsense.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4458501]Not really an issue; his record will determine whether or not he should get another term.

Is the book a salacious tell-all, or is it a flowery portrait of an American success story? I think it's more the latter, judging by how Diane Sawyer was fawning over the prose that 20 year old Barack wrote in a diary as he struggled to "find himself."

You're right, the media's glorification of Obama never ends.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

David Maraniss is a terrific biographer, but he has also penned a book called [I]Tell Newt To Shut Up[/I] so it does not appear to be a right-wing effort to out BO.

[QUOTE=jetswin;4458348]I somewhat agree fudging his autobiography is not a huge issue, however I also tend toward thinking most of the man's history is a lie. We already know he has no problems speaking lies, I guess writing them is a whole bunch easier.

carry on President BO.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that unlike Republicans, OBlameBush never gets called out on his lies by the criminal liberal media.

They're just swept under the rug.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Interesting take...

[QUOTE][B]Why it matters that Obama dated a composite and ate a dog [/B]

There was a brief media firestorm yesterday when Vanity Fair broke the news that Obama’s famous “New York girlfriend” was a fiction. She appears in his 1995 memoir, Dreams From My Father, described in some detail by her appearance, voice and mannerisms. But a new biography of Obama – [URL="http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/06/young-barack-obama-in-love-david-maraniss"]with an excerpt published in Vanity Fair[/URL] – “reveals” that she was actually an amalgam of several different women. Politico immediately ran with “[URL="http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/05/obama-ny-girlfriend-was-composite-character-122272.html"]Obama: 'New York girlfriend' was composite[/URL]” and Drudge headlined with “Obama Admits Fabricating Girlfriend in a Memoir.” Coming hot on the heels of the news that [URL="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/19/huffpost-hill-sponsored-b_n_1439046.html"]the Pres once ate a dog[/URL], his weirdo factor seems to have hit the roof.

Actually, it turns out that Obama always said that his New York squeeze was a fake. Within a couple of hours of the story breaking, [URL="http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-05-02/politics/31531862_1_barack-obama-memoir-compression"]journalists pointed out[/URL] that at the beginning of Dreams From My Father it reads, “For the sake of compression, some of the characters that appear are composites of people, I’ve known, and some events appear out of precise chronology.” Politico was forced to print a humiliating correction and [URL="http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/05/obamas-composite-girlfriend-how-politico-and-drudge-created-fake-news/256666/"]David Graham of The Atlantic went in for the kill[/URL]: “Politico has served as an unwitting pawn in a game conservative spinmeisters are playing to redefine Obama between now and November … It's much the same as the flap over Obama eating dog, in which a different piece of Dreams From My Father, in which he describes eating canine meat as a boy in Indonesia, was rediscovered. While conservative activists and journalists present these stories while claiming that Obama wasn't properly vetted four years ago, what's actually happening is they're reintroducing facts to the record, this time with a far more negative spin.”

I’m not sure. What stands out from the composite story isn’t that Obama amalgamated characters, it’s that the press hadn’t noticed until now. As with the dog story, this confirms the suspicion that the mainstream media gave Obama a free pass in 2008 and declined to check too deeply into his background. Even The Atlantic’s Graham admits that he’s never read Dreams From My Father, and neither, it would seem, has anyone else in the press corps. They have the excuse that the book is incredibly narcissistic and boring, but otherwise isn’t this exactly the sort of character assessment/assassination that should have happened four years ago?

Meanwhile, the new biography excerpted in Vanity Fair does reveal some genuinely odd things about Barack Obama. The impression one gets is of an arrogant loner who struggled to fit in with the world around him. This is explained away by his lack of a clear racial or class identity, for which the reader has every sympathy. But it’s hard to empathise with a man with this level of self-absorption. One girlfriend, Genevieve, wrote in her diary that it was impossible to break through his shell of introspection: “The sexual warmth is definitely there — but the rest of it has sharp edges and I’m finding it all unsettling and finding myself wanting to withdraw from it all. I have to admit that I am feeling anger at him for some reason, multi-stranded reasons. His warmth can be deceptive. Tho he speaks sweet words and can be open and trusting, there is also that coolness — and I begin to have an inkling of some things about him that could get to me.” Hanging around his apartment discussing [URL="http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/05/barack-obamas-old-girlfriends-get-dishy.html"]TS Eliot[/URL] and wearing a sarong (I'm not judging him for the latter; I own a kimono), it felt like Obama was always “so old already,” even when he was just 22. Genevieve: “I have to recognize (despite play of wry and mocking smile on lips) that I find his thereness very threatening … Distance, distance, distance, and wariness.” A woman told Obama that she loved him and he replied, “Thank you.” He was intelligent and charming, but all the joy and spontaneity of youth was lacking. Of their first night together, Genevieve recalled: “I’m pretty sure we had dinner maybe the Wednesday after. I think maybe he cooked me dinner. Then we went and talked in his bedroom. And then I spent the night. It all felt very inevitable.” All very inevitable? In the arms of Barack Obama, even sex has its cool logic.

Why didn’t we know all these details four years ago – even though some of them were published in a best-selling autobiography that was sold to us as if it was a fifth gospel? And yet we knew everything there was to know about Sarah Palin, despite the fact that she was in the race for a much shorter space of time than Obama – and only running for veep.
    [B]
    That’s the significance of the canine and composite revelations – both of them, aside from their delightful “dish” factors, not really revelations at all. That we are only discussing them this late into Obama’s career suggests that the vetting that should have happened four years ago was unforgivably neglected. But, hey, it’s never too late to start.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Trades;4458862]Interesting take...

[QUOTE]
    [B]That’s the significance of the canine and composite revelations – both of them, aside from their delightful “dish” factors, not really revelations at all. That we are only discussing them this late into Obama’s career suggests that the vetting that should have happened four years ago was unforgivably neglected. But, hey, it’s never too late to start.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

then let's hear about his college transcripts :yes:

I wish his college transcripts would "surface" by ALL accounts he's a "genius" you'd think he'd be proud to show off, why, that one LETTER he wrote when he was Editor of the HLR, would make ANY high school senior almost green with envy!

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4458538]Is the book a salacious tell-all, or is it a flowery portrait of an American success story? I think it's more the latter, judging by how Diane Sawyer was fawning over the prose that [COLOR="Red"]Bill Ayers[/COLOR] wrote in a diary as he struggled to "find himself."

You're right, the media's glorification of Obama never ends.[/QUOTE]

Truth in editing is required here, so I took the liberty.

He wore a sarong?

[I]"Forward ... to pants!" [/I]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4458890]Truth in editing is required here, so I took the liberty.[/QUOTE]

Why on God's Good Green Earth do you have a picture of Michelle Obama's legs as your avatar?

Weird.

All Pro
    [QUOTE]That’s the significance of the canine and composite revelations – both of them, aside from their delightful “dish” factors, not really revelations at all. That we are only discussing them this late into Obama’s career suggests that the vetting that should have happened four years ago was unforgivably neglected. But, hey, it’s never too late to start.[/QUOTE]

Are these seriously the topics that need vetting? Talk about irrelevant.