Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black humor

Hall Of Fame

Black humor

No not that kind of black humor although I too did get a kick out of the chicken drumstick animated GIF yesterday.

My question surrounds black humor and the Junior Seau tragedy yesterday.

I noticed yesterday how some of the more irreverent posters on here, even including some mods were taking offense at a few early attempts at humor with respect to the (apparent) Junior Seau suicide.

Gilbert Gottfried obviously got it wrong in the minds of most people after the Japan Tsunami event ("Too soon?")

So anyhow, how soon is too soon for JI on stuff like this?

For people who took offense yesterday, would you take the same offense two weeks from now? Six months from now?

People that took offense need to remove sand from vagina...

Hall Of Fame
    He played for the Pasts* - that means anything is fair game. :D

That is non white humor.

I have no idea what the time line is, there are too many variables. But I am reminded of what Justice Stewart said in 1964 about obscenity: "I know it when I see it."

I don't think it's so much the time removed from the event in question as it is where you do it: A thread where people are giving condolences, looking for answers and sharing memories of a player they respected probably isn't the greatest place to be trying out new schtick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I think alot of how you "take" humor on different subjects depends on your individual live experiences, where you are currently in life and your individual personality. Trust me, I use humor as much as anyone to handle dark times, I see the absurdity in life. For instance, at a funeral, theres a big difference between a family member making a joke, and a guest insulting the deceased.

The web is a mix of so many anonymous people, you're always going to have this problem. I'm sure those cracking wise yesterday would never say anything like that to his Mom, for instance. They see it as a joke on the internet, nothing more and thats their right. In the end it all doesn't mean much anyway. Doesn't make them bad guys.

With that said, jokes about a suicide on the day it happens TO ME are offensive, especially after I saw his Mom. But again, that's just me. You can't take things online so serious though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bullitt929;4458335]I have no idea what the time line is, there are too many variables. But I am reminded of what Justice Stewart said in 1964 about obscenity: "I know it when I see it."[/QUOTE]

Brandt, you are incorrigible!!

All League
    [QUOTE=titanbuoy;4458340]I don't think it's so much the time removed from the event in question as it is where you do it: A thread where people are giving condolences, looking for answers and sharing memories of a player they respected probably isn't the greatest place to be trying out new schtick.[/QUOTE]

Yep :yes:

[QUOTE=FF2;4458344]

With that said, jokes about a suicide on the day it happens TO ME are offensive.[/QUOTE]

Dunno. But I respect your last wish and promise not to post any jokes the day you'll do it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=RussianGreen;4458352]Dunno. But I respect your last wish and promise not to post any jokes the day you'll do it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, that mean alot.

Hall Of Fame
    I thought he was Samoan?

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;4458344]I think alot of how you "take" humor on different subjects depends on your individual live experiences, where you are currently in life and your individual personality. Trust me, I use humor as much as anyone to handle dark times, I see the absurdity in life. For instance, at a funeral, theres a big difference between a family member making a joke, and a guest insulting the deceased.

The web is a mix of so many anonymous people, you're always going to have this problem. I'm sure those cracking wise yesterday would never say anything like that to his Mom, for instance. They see it as a joke on the internet, nothing more and thats their right. In the end it all doesn't mean much anyway. Doesn't make them bad guys.

With that said, jokes about a suicide on the day it happens TO ME are offensive, especially after I saw his Mom. But again, that's just me. You can't take things online so serious though.[/QUOTE]

Is this your longest post ever?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=EM31;4458317]No not that kind of black humor although I too did get a kick out of the chicken drumstick animated GIF yesterday.

I noticed yesterday how some of the more irreverent posters on here, even including some mods were taking offense at a few early attempts at humor with respect to the (apparent) Junior Seau suicide.

Gilbert Gottfried obviously got it wrong in the minds of most people after the Japan Tsunami event ("Too soon?")

For people who took offense yesterday, would you take the same offense two weeks from now? Six months from now?[/QUOTE]
    Making a joke is one thing. Saying he's a doosh and selfish for offing himself isn't black humor.

We have a saying: you can laugh about anything, just not with anyone. This being the internet, you have no idea of the intentions of the guy making the remark (like FF2's example at the funeral).

I'll laugh at anything and found some of the remarks plain dumb. Not offensive because I didn't know the guy, just dumb.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=EM31;4458317]No not that kind of black humor although I too did get a kick out of the chicken drumstick animated GIF yesterday.

For people who took offense yesterday, would you take the same offense two weeks from now? Six months from now?[/QUOTE]

The "Wall Street" Seau jokes should be out this afternoon....

Hall Of Fame
    There is no place for "comic relief" within the same thread when it comes to a tragedy like this. Especially when the subject of the attempted comedy is the same subject as the tragedy. Perhaps a separate thread with non-related funny stuff aimed to lighten the mood would have been appropriate.

But this is the internet. People are different on the internet then they are in real life. Some of the stuff that gets said here I guarantee would never get said in person or in "real life". For instance, I would never call Wayne Hunter "gay" to his face. :P

But what do I know? I have a sandy vagina and cannot grow a pair.

[QUOTE=FF2;4458346]Brandt, you are incorrigible!![/QUOTE]

This is our concern, Dude. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    So we're calling "dark humor" "black humor" now?

I can't keep up.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4458491]So we're calling "dark humor" "black humor" now?

I can't keep up.[/QUOTE]

+1

This whole thread is racist.

from dictionary.com:

black humor 
    noun
    a form of humor that regards human suffering as absurd rather than pitiable, or that considers human existence as ironic and pointless but somehow comic.