Thread: NFLPA - Worst Union Ever

All League

NFLPA - Worst Union Ever

I'll be honest. I am generally not in favor of unions. My wife is in a union and it is run by actual morons so I admit to being bitter.

Nevertheless, if I was in a union, I would want to be in a good one capable of representing my best interests.

Looking at the various big time sports, it is clear that the NFLPA not only got abused on the big things, they got abused on the little things:

What kind of moron agrees to let the owner's representative lay down discipline to the players with an appeal to the same person?

Does anyone seriously think the owners would have walked away from the table of the appeals process for player discipline?

Jets Insider VIP
    they either agreed or remained locked out

they had NO leverage when the owners locked them out because the owners had deep pockets and could continue to lock them out for more than a year if they had too while the workforce they union represented had for the most part pissed away all their prior salaries on multiple cars, fancy sneakers and parties at strip clubs.

By July they would have agreed to let the Commissioner do anything in order to get their revenue streams started up again

Based on recent headlines, the NBAPA begs to differ.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hey, lets blame the union, the person doling out the penalties whatever because players broke rules?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hockey players get hosed every time.

Not even close. :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4458736]Hey, lets blame the union, the person doling out the penalties whatever because players broke rules?[/QUOTE]

I am not justifying what any of the players (Vilma) did. He probably got what he deserved.

When the deal got very close (because the Union was forced for economic reasons to cave on the big issues which I understand), the Union had the opportunity to win a few non-economic concessions from the owners.

- Any suspension of a player by the Commissioner's office for more than X games may be appealed to an arbitrator. The arbitrator shall be selected by: [insert criteria].

Given how much the owners stood to make from the new deal, there is ZERO chance that they would not have thrown the players a bone on this issue.

All League
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4458737]Hockey players get hosed every time.

Not even close. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I am not enough of a hockey fan to comment on their union. All my knowledge about their union comes from the NY Post's hockey writer and I have no idea if he is right/wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4458757]I am not justifying what any of the players (Vilma) did. He probably got what he deserved.

When the deal got very close (because the Union was forced for economic reasons to cave on the big issues which I understand), the Union had the opportunity to win a few non-economic concessions from the owners.

[B]- Any suspension of a player by the Commissioner's office for more than X games may be appealed to an arbitrator. The arbitrator shall be selected by: [insert criteria].[/B]

Given how much the owners stood to make from the new deal, there is ZERO chance that they would not have thrown the players a bone on this issue.[/QUOTE]

They get that. For on field suspensions. This is an off the field issue and is handled by the commissioners office.

It is interesting that Vilma now wants an audience but when the charges were being investigated he refused to sit with the commissioner to discuss the charges and defend himself. Now he's screaming that this is an injustice.

I'm sure you would have had the NFLPA's back if they had dug their heels in about player discipline. I remember all the support they had from all the really intelligent football fans out there during the lockout. I don't support unions but they should have fought harder. right.

All League
    [QUOTE=JetsFan24;4458812]I'm sure you would have had the NFLPA's back if they had dug their heels in about player discipline. I remember all the support they had from all the really intelligent football fans out there during the lockout. I don't support unions but they should have fought harder. right.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I don't generally like unions and wish there was a way to get my wife out of hers.

BUT, if I was forced to be in a union, I would certainly want my union to be well run.

Of all the professional sports (with the possible exception of combat sports like boxing and MMA), NFL players are most in need of a good, smart union to protect their interests. They have short, brutal careers and many face lifetime injuries.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4458737]Hockey players get hosed every time.

Not even close. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Which is why they hired Fehr.

It will be very interesting to see what happens this summer with hockey.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes, a "union" protecting millionaires from billionaires is the worst union ever.

A smidge of perspective would be nice every once in a while.

Tell that to a school teacher who has been without a contract for 2 years.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4458801]

It is interesting that Vilma now wants an audience but when the charges were being investigated he refused to sit with the commissioner to discuss the charges and defend himself. Now he's screaming that this is an injustice.[/QUOTE]

That's a bingo.

I can't wait for the appeal when Vilma walks into Goodell's office and Goodell says "It's nice to finally see you, Jon. NOW you can go f*ck yourself."

_

Hall Of Fame
    Wouldn't you hate to have a Union, that if you worked at a really physical job, the Union negotiated that you only have to work (practice) a limited number of times a week?

What a sh*tty union.

_

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4458951]Yes, a "union" protecting millionaires from billionaires is the worst union ever.

A smidge of perspective would be nice every once in a while.

Tell that to a school teacher who has been without a contract for 2 years.

_[/QUOTE]

My wife is a teacher. I know. Her union is run by idiots as well.