Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ummm...running game??

Ummm...running game??

So maybe I haven't been paying attention, but are we stuck with Shonne Greene again this year? I just checked and we didn't draft, and as far as I can see, sign, a running back.
    Does this put Shonne in starting position?
    With all the talk of defense (which I applaud), if we don't have a running game - for a ground and pound team - how are we going to get points on the board?

Have you forgot about Tim Tebow?

Banned
    We traded our 4th for Tim Tebow.

He did have 660 rushing yards and 6 TDs. Averaged 5.4 YPA.

Green had 1054 rushing yards, 6 TDs, and averaged 4.2 YPA.

Between the two we are set.

Or just let Tebow be our RB. That would solve everything.

Jets drafted Terrance Ganaway, a 6'1 240lb back that runs with nice power. Seen as great value in the 6th. We also added Stephen Hill (derp) that is a threat to go deep at any moment (keeps them honest) and an incredible run blocker (coming from an offense that completed something like 85 passes on the season IIRC- run dominant team to say the least). These things will help the running game and should help tremendously between the 20s.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DaveInNNJ;4458860]So maybe I haven't been paying attention, but are we stuck with Shonne Greene again this year? I just checked and we didn't draft, and as far as I can see, sign, a running back.
    With all the talk of defense (which I applaud), if we don't have a running game - for a ground and pound team - how are we going to get points on the board?[/QUOTE]

I know from this post that you are an exceptionally knowledgable Jet fan so let me answer ypur excellent queries.

1) Our starting RB is SHONN GREENE not Shonne and we are far from stuck with him because he was.our best RB in 2009...better than Thomas Twoyards and in thr last two years....better than LT.

2) We drafted a pretty good IMO power RB in round 6 in Terence Ganaway and drafted Joe McKnight in 2010 and Bilal Powell in 2011 so the cupboard is far from bare.

3) Our problem in running G and P last season was having a moron OC who took Greene off the field every other series and then either a)ran LT into the middle which he cant do or b) called 60 passing plays a game mostly 4 yd buttonhooks when 8 yds were needed. Hopefully ridding the Jets of this OC should be an addition by subtraction.

4) I believe we also signed RBs as UDFAs and for tryouts qho you be able to see on the live coverage of the rookie minicamp tomw at 1 on the official team website

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sg3; 05-03-2012 at 04:48 PM.

[QUOTE=sg3;4458874]I know from this post that you are an exceptionally knowledgable Jet fan so let me answer ypur excellent queries.

1) Our starting RB is SHONN GREENE not Shonne and we are far from stuck with him because he was.our best RB in 2009...better than Thomas Twoyards and in thr last two years....better than LT.

2) We drafted a pretty good IMO power RB in round 6 in Terence Ganaway and drafted Joe McKnight in 2010 and Bilal Powell in 2011 so the cupboard is far from bare.

3) Our problem in running G and P last season was having a moron OC who took Greene off the field every other series and then either a)ran LT into the middle which he cant do or b) called 60 passing plays a game mostly 4 yd buttonhooks when 8 yds were needed. Hopefully ridding the Jets of this OC should be an addition by subtraction.

4) I believe we also signed RBs as UDFAs and for tryouts qho you be able to see on the live coverage of the rookie minicamp tomw at 1 on the official team website

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Thank you for educating! Well said!!

I must have missed the part where we had 5 first round picks and could take anyone.

It's a passing league.

Does it say something that perhaps our deepest position is still not deep enough for some?

Greene is a proven thousand yard back with some drawbacks.
    Tebow is one of the best running/option QB in the NFL.
    McKnight is a prospect and one of the best KR in the NFL.
    Powell is an unknown, but only 1 (short offseason) year in.
    Ganaway is an unknown, but decent sounding power prospect.
    Connor is developing bruiser at FB, a position our O-Co likes to use.
    Kerley is another running QB/Option/End Around option in the runnign game.

Thats our RB Crew, and it probably isn't changing. It's got veteran starters in Greene and Tebow, prospects in McKnight, Powell and Ganaway (one of whom will be cut or PS, not enough roster spots).

Bilal Powell means Chaz Shillens in Arabic.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4458916]Does it say something that perhaps our deepest position is still not deep enough for some?

Thats our RB Crew, and it probably isn't changing. It's got veteran starters in Greene and Tebow, prospects in McKnight, Powell and Ganaway (one of whom will be cut or PS, not enough roster spots).[/QUOTE]
    This

[QUOTE=Warfish;4458916]Does it say something that perhaps our deepest position is still not deep enough for some?

Thats our RB Crew, and it probably isn't changing. It's got veteran starters in Greene and Tebow, prospects in McKnight, Powell and Ganaway (one of whom will be cut or PS, not enough roster spots).[/QUOTE]

That's almost as impressive as the WR corps that doesn't really have a #1 either.

[QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4458930]That's almost as impressive as the WR corps that doesn't really have a #1 either.[/QUOTE]

Better get used to it then, eh? :dunno:

You can accept the team as it has been built by Rex and Co., or bemoan it, but the RB, WR and QB positions are fully filled, and change at those spots between now and opening day is unlikely barring special circumstances.

May as well accept it, and hope the Front Office and Coaches know what they're doing.

[QUOTE=DaveInNNJ;4458860]So maybe I haven't been paying attention, but are we stuck with Shonne Greene again this year? I just checked and we didn't draft, and as far as I can see, sign, a running back.
    With all the talk of defense (which I applaud), if we don't have a running game - for a ground and pound team - how are we going to get points on the board?[/QUOTE]...dude..are you high?...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4458930]That's almost as impressive as the WR corps that doesn't really have a #1 either.[/QUOTE]

could be worse

we could still be relying on your Uncle

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=DaveInNNJ;4458860]

I just checked and we didn't draft, and as far as I can see, sign, a running back.

[/QUOTE]

LOL. I think your googlze is broken.

_

[QUOTE=FF2;4458913]It's a passing league.[/QUOTE]

Its a passing league if you have Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers or Elli Manning.

Don't let the media convince you that there is only one way to win. Look at how dominant the packers were last year on offense and they couldn't win a playoff game.

The Ravens were inches away from the super bowl and they have a below average QB. The niners were inches away from the super bowl and they have a below-below average QB.

The jets made it to the AFC Championship game back to back year without a passing game.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    No to talk about myself or anything, but i made a thread about JUST THIS a month ago. I was concerned seeing as how LT is absent, and aside from Greene there is ZERO proven depth at the position.

I was called a ball licker, cawkface, chicken little, stoopid, wait for the season to end jack arse, etc......

But yes, i agree with this OP. Rex said they were passing WAY too much last year, and are returning to the ground n pound......

I cant see it with this current set of backs unless somebody special surprises.

LT appears gone, and he had some HUGE plays both rushing, and catching screens out of the backfield. Gamebreaking plays.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4458939]Better get used to it then, eh? :dunno:

You can accept the team as it has been built by Rex and Co., or bemoan it, but the RB, WR and QB positions are fully filled, and change at those spots between now and opening day is unlikely barring special circumstances.

May as well accept it, and hope the Front Office and Coaches know what they're doing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what the front office seems to count on.