Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toon. Funny What Emotion Does to You Some Times

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Toon. Funny What Emotion Does to You Some Times

I admit it, I really hoped, in a quiet sort of way, that the Jets would sign Al Toon's kid.

Didn't care if he was a fit. Or a great all-world prospect. He's Al Toon's kid. Toon, my lifelong favorite NY Jet.

I know, intellectually, that holding the above view is sillyness in the extreme, teams should draft/aquire the players that fit, that they like, and who they need for their team as currently construed. I've long hammered (verbally) other fans for engaging in such sillyness.

Still.....I wanted a Toon on a Jets Jersey again. A littel pleasant daytime sportsdream, another Toon cathing longballs for our Jets.

It's funny how sillyness like this can hit fans, or (in some cases) related sillyness (sign this former Jet now! Sign this old brokedown HOF'er now! Sign this....etc, etc, etc.)

No real point to be made here, just wasn't round for the draft, and wanted to share my own personal fan-based sillyness. Even though it probably wasn't the "right" move for this Jets team, I still kinda, sorta really wanted Toon.:O

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya. Was bummed to see him to the New Orleans Boba Fetts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been a Jets fan since the Joe Willie days but my first jersey was Toon's 88. Still have it but it's a bit snug these days.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Toon story ... not much of one, but my friend and I still talk about it. I was 9, saw Toon (we had no idea who he was) catch a 50 yard TD on TV, both talked about how great it would be if the jets got him and they picked him in the next draft. Told you it wasn't much of a story. Oh, and I got a Toon jersey in 86. Then a Kenny O one
    Last edited by BamaJets; 05-03-2012 at 06:28 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    where did he end up going.......

Toon is a major reason i am a jets fan him and victor green.......:D

My step-dad was a Giants fan so we would watch the giants and jets games on sunday and the giants games were so boring for me as I was only 10 I had not yet been made known to the intricacies of the game yet. The jets on the other hand were high flying hard hitting bad asse's.....Watching O'brien launch those footballs in the air to a perfectly placed ball where only toon could catch it 55 yds downfield ah a thing of beauty compared to the simms to bavaro 10 yd passes.

Green immediately became my fav color and still is and the jets my team and still is.

On a personal note green and ronny lott were the hardest hitting people I have ever seen play in the NFL................:D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huge Toon fan. I always loved the Jets green but his first name is Al just like my dad, but my dad is white. That show I became a Toon fan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4458986]I hear ya. Was bummed to see him to the New Orleans Boba Fetts.[/QUOTE]

No disintegrations!

- Gregg Williams

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B][SIZE="4"]Tooooooooon!!!![/SIZE][/B]

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4458970]I admit it, I really hoped, in a quiet sort of way, that the Jets would sign Al Toon's kid.

Didn't care if he was a fit. Or a great all-world prospect. He's Al Toon's kid. Toon, my lifelong favorite NY Jet.

I know, intellectually, that holding the above view is sillyness in the extreme, teams should draft/aquire the players that fit, that they like, and who they need for their team as currently construed. I've long hammered (verbally) other fans for engaging in such sillyness.

Still.....I wanted a Toon on a Jets Jersey again. A littel pleasant daytime sportsdream, another Toon cathing longballs for our Jets.

It's funny how sillyness like this can hit fans, or (in some cases) related sillyness (sign this former Jet now! Sign this old brokedown HOF'er now! Sign this....etc, etc, etc.)

No real point to be made here, just wasn't round for the draft, and wanted to share my own personal fan-based sillyness. Even though it probably wasn't the "right" move for this Jets team, I still kinda, sorta really wanted Toon.:O[/QUOTE]

Well articulated and thought provoking as always Warfish. Thanks for the thread.

I'd have to get back to you on which former players son I'd like to see on today's NY Jets roster and at which position. Interesting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4458970]I admit it, I really hoped, in a quiet sort of way, that the Jets would sign Al Toon's kid.

No real point to be made here, just wasn't round for the draft, and wanted to share my own personal fan-based sillyness. Even though it probably wasn't the "right" move for this Jets team, I still kinda, sorta really wanted Toon.:O[/QUOTE]

+1
    I will forever be convinced that if the Jets took Rice at #14 and the 49ers Toon at #16 in the '85 draft that it would be Toon who would be going down in the record books as one of the greatest of all time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;4459269]+1
    I will forever be convinced that if the Jets took Rice at #14 and the 49ers Toon at #16 in the '85 draft that it would be Toon who would be going down in the record books as one of the greatest of all time.[/QUOTE]

You're 200% right.

Toon would have been unstoppable if given Rice's shoes (no knock against Rice)....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will forever be convinced that if the Jets took Rice at #14 and the 49ers Toon at #16 in the '85 draft that it would be Toon who would be going down in the record books as one of the greatest of all time.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I love toon but seriously montana would not have been throwing up bombs like o'brien which means toon would have to withstand one hell of a beating going across the middle like that...........It wasn't just jerry's catching skills it was the fact he would run any route including going across the middle for alot of his yards........not many wr's can take a pounding like rice took he was a special athlete IMO.....I believe toon with longevity could have been top 5.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree fish,

The Jets do not have much of a legacy and should have learned from watching baby Klecko play for the pats...

an I thought Woody wanted to sell tickets :)

Toon went in the 4th this year as projected it was not that much to ask considering the recent history of mid-round picks not developing and starting for this team. The draft is a crap shoot so why not show a little pride in your former players

oh well, have to hope this draft is more boom then bust

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ohio State NY Jets fan;4459430]Totally agree fish,

The Jets do not have much of a legacy and should have learned from watching baby Klecko play for the pats...

an I thought Woody wanted to sell tickets :)

Toon went in the 4th this year as projected it was not that much to ask considering the recent history of mid-round picks not developing and starting for this team. The draft is a crap shoot so why not show a little pride in your former players

oh well, have to hope this draft is more boom then bust[/QUOTE]

Because Toon's son is not 1/3 the player his dad was.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4459451]Because Toon's son is not 1/3 the player his dad was.[/QUOTE] Appreciate your opinion and you are probably correct but the truth is we just don't know that yet

Colston was drafted by the Saints in the 7th and his numbers are decent

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ohio State NY Jets fan;4459467]Appreciate your opinion and you are probably correct but the truth is we just don't know that yet

Colston was drafted by the Saints in the 7th and his numbers are decent[/QUOTE]

Tru ... Time will tell. For e record .. Freaking loved Al Toon... Made so many sideline catches that we incredible.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I felt the same way when the Islanders passed on Zach Parise. On one level, he was supposed to be a fantastic player. But on another level, its nice to keep it in the family, to see the next generation play for the team again. It gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling that you rarely get with professional teams. I also thought it was a shame that the Jets never tried to pick up Dan Klecko for that exact reason.

As it turns out with Parise, it would have been a sound hockey move as Robert Nilsson is playing somewhere in Russia and Parise is leading the Devils towards the Cup.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this situation applies strongly to so many young players, especially QB's. You see a guy like Aaron Rodgers having so much success now, but you have to wonder what if SF picked him instead of Alex Smith. Would he still have that success? Did sitting on the bench for 3 years help him along? If David Carr doesn't get his head caved in every game in HOU would he possibly be an upper echelon QB today? Not all players can blame their surroundings (J Russell, Ryan Leaf, V Young, etc..). Some players just don't have the mental fortitude or the work ethic. But I truly think at least 50% of the reason some players succeed or fail is due to their surroundings.

In today's world I look at RG3. I think the kid is talented as hell and I think he can be very successful in the NFL. However when you look at the situation in WAS, they have been fined 36m against the cap to be distributed this year and next, and they basically have no draft picks due to the trade to get Griffin. They are going to be very hard pressed to surround Griffin with talent over these next couple years and it will be interesting to see how Griffin gets through it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.403762!/img/httpImage/image.jpg[/IMG]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... have no fear fish ... it's the era of free agency ... your dream can still come true in 4 years :D ...

l_j_r