Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revis & .... Bobby Massie (T Mississippi) Agent : Schwartz & Feinsod ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Question Revis & .... Bobby Massie (T Mississippi) Agent : Schwartz & Feinsod ~ ~ ~

Why the Jets Likely Passed on Bobby Massie

It was a bit surprising during the third round of last weekend's NFL Draft that the Jets passed on Ole Miss offensive tackle Bobby Massie. Right tackle is a glaring need for the Jets, and Massie likely would have been better than Wayne Hunter and Vladimir Ducasse on day one. There might have been something else at play here. Sports Agent Blog each year rounds up the agents for each drafted player. Massie's representation provides a dead giveaway as to why the Jets passed.

112. Arizona Bobby Massie (T Mississippi) Agent: Schwartz & Feinsod

They would be the same Schwartz and Feinsod that represent Darrelle Revis. They are the same agents Mike Tannenbaum famously with television cameras in front of him stated did not seem like human beings at times. The Jets hate dealing with them. Working with the duo on a contract for Revis is a necessity, but the team has let some of their other clients like Chris Baker and Marques Murrell go in recent years.I am sure this was not the only consideration. The Jets probably liked the guy they took in the third round better, but you cannot count out the possibility Massie's representation played a role in the decision making.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/...n-bobby-massie

~ ~ what do you guys think ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    don't think so kenny for 2 reasons

with the new CBA rookies and their sleezy agents have been pretty much stripped of any leverage

and

Massie, from all reports, is likely to become Ducasse Redux

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

with the new CBA rookies and their sleezy agents have been pretty much stripped of any leverage

and

Massie, from all reports, is likely to become Ducasse Redux
    this, and massie got drafted where, 5th round? it's not like the jets passed on him and then he got drafted 2 slots later.

It might have played a small part in the discussion, but it looks like the Jets really like Demario Davis, and that was also a need.

But I have a call in to Mel Gibson to see if he can run it down.

Hall Of Fame
    there are likely other reasons why murrell got released, chief one being that he sucks

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    It might have played a small part in the discussion, but it looks like the Jets really like Demario Davis, and that was also a need.

But I have a call in to Mel Gibson to see if he can run it down.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    there are likely other reasons why murrell got released, chief one being that he sucks

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    this, and massie got drafted where, 5th round? it's not like the jets passed on him and then he got drafted 2 slots later.
    4th round.

I have a feeling he will be better than Ducasse.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to the agents aspect.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

When you start by saying a 5th round pick that dropped like a rock would be the best choice to start at RT, you're in fail zone.

if anything an easy negotiation with a slotted low round pick would make things smoother with the agents down the round. You cant avoid players because of an agent that they have today. The player you take in his place could sign up with that agent down the road.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    4th round.

I have a feeling he will be better than Ducasse.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to the agents aspect.
    i think it would have been interesting if the jets had a 4th rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think it would have been interesting if the jets had a 4th rounder.
    We did, his name is Tim Tebow, recently #95 on the top 100 players in the NFL. When any of the guys just drafted at #108 or later crack that list, then we can lament the fact we didn't have a 4th round pick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    When you start by saying a 5th round pick that dropped like a rock would be the best choice to start at RT, you're in fail zone.

if anything an easy negotiation with a slotted low round pick would make things smoother with the agents down the round. You cant avoid players because of an agent that they have today. The player you take in his place could sign up with that agent down the road.
    Except that if you think you could be drafting a potential 10 year starter, you look towards that 4th year when the rookie deal ends and know that you're in for hellatious negotiations with a pair of a-holes that you despise.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    We did, his name is Tim Tebow, recently #95 on the top 100 players in the NFL. When any of the guys just drafted at #108 or later crack that list, then we can lament the fact we didn't have a 4th round pick.
    i'm not lamenting it, genius. read the thread here. we're wondering if the jets didn't draft massie b/c of who his agents were. given that he was drafted in the 4th round, i wrote it would have been interesting to see if the jets took him, if they had a 4th round pick during the draft. wow.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    BTW, Rob Turner is also a client of theirs. The Jets let him go pretty easily didn't they?

Hall Of Fame
    BTW, Rob Turner is also a client of theirs. The Jets let him go pretty easily didn't they?
    it's always been perceived that agents have so much leverage over teams. i wonder what would happen if rumors spread that certain teams won't draft players who are represented by certain agents.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Except that if you think you could be drafting a potential 10 year starter, you look towards that 4th year when the rookie deal ends and know that you're in for hellatious negotiations with a pair of a-holes that you despise.
    So we rip the Jets for taking Ducasse, who they think eventually would be their long term solution, right where he was projected to go and to fix that you think taking a guy who went in the 5 th is the cure?

But you gave us the answer, if you think he's a 10 year starter. I'd bet the Jets dont see him that way.

And there is no proof what so ever that negotiations would have been issues negotiating with the agents. 1st of all, he's a scrub low round OL, not Revis. Not even on the same planet as far as negotiating leverage.

And once again, there are salary slots for draft picks.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-04-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

If he's any good, you're still going to want to negotiate a second contract with that agent. Nevermind, Revis's agents are notorious for holdouts, they've done it with Revis, they did it with Vincent Jackson, they did it with Roddy White. You don't think they'd be pushing for the same thing the minute if/when Massie outperforms his rookie contract? I can see an argument that the Jets didn't want to deal with them.

With that said though, getting Demario Davis is hardly settling. He's a very talented kid in his own right.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So we rip the Jets for taking Ducasse, who they think eventually would be their long term solution, right where he was projected to go and to fix that you think taking a guy who went in the 5 th is the cure?

But you gave us the answer, if you think he's a 10 year starter. I'd bet the Jets dont see him that way.

And there is no proof what so ever that negotiations would have been issues negotiating with the agents. 1st of all, he's a scrub low round OL, not Revis. Not even on the same planet as far as negotiating leverage.

And once again, there are salary slots for draft picks.
    First of all, what does Ducasse have to do with Massie? We all agree that RT was a big area of need going into the draft.

Secondly, Massie went in the 4th, not the 5th. He's not a scrub. I'll wager he has a better career than Ducasse or Hunter or Schaluderhoff or Howard. 4 years from now, when his rookie contract runs out, we'll see what kind of leverage he has.

Did the Jets have a shot at him? In the 3rd they did. He was projected to go in the 2nd. So the 3rd wasn't a bad place.

Facts are facts. I think the premise has merit. Especially now that I know Turner is also a client and the Jets showed ZERO interest in bringing him back despite the fact that they could have used his versatility on the OL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Again, no one knows that they would be *******s with this player. Are they the issue with Revis or is it Revis? Or is it just par for the course whenever you're trying to ink big time players?

Either way there isn't a team dumb enough to stay away from talent they like because years from now they fear a negotiation that may not be difficult. When you drop rounds in a draft because your agents are *******s, you need to get a new agent. If this was an issue the Scott Boras's etc wouldn't have any clients.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

First of all, what does Ducasse have to do with Massie? We all agree that RT was a big area of need going into the draft.
    Lets see what does he have to do with needing a RT?

Ugh, that he's one of the players we drafted for that spot and you want to see replaced?

You ask what does he have to do with it then go on to tell us that Ducasse won't ever be as good as Massie.

Facts are facts. I think the premise has merit.
    Except that none of this conspiracy theory is based on facts, just your belief that its true.