Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: QCs brands ... Treatable?

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Houston, I get you're a productive and mature person and I apologize for offending you. My post was inflammatory - I just didn't feel like posting my feelings through the sensitivity filter.

Truth is we're all judged on our appearance, what we put out into the world. I'm not going to hire a Goth kid with 6 piercings on his face, most businesses won't. Not because they're bad people but because I think it exhibits a lack of maturity and I don't want that representing a business.

If people elect to decorate their bodies that is certainly their priority - but they have to accept that other people's judgements of what they're displaying to the world are not in their control. There's faulty logic stating that an external display is just for you internally.

I had the same call everyone has to memorialize dead family with a tattoo - I let the urge pass. I realized it would've been not for me but for the world to see my pain, I would've been branding myself a victim. I don't have to get a brand to show my people that they are my people - it's more than skin deep.
    So instead of tattoos or brands you'd rather just ourwardly impose your opinions or judgements of others through words. The irony is many people find that just as "ugly" as Coples brands.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    As something of a personal-freedom-based libertarian type, I live by the motto of "To each their own, to do with themselves as they see fit". You want to engage in body modification of any kind, so be it, it's YOUR body to do with as you please IMO.

With that said, personally I've never, ever understood Fraternity Branding or branding oneself at all, I find the idea rather horrifying tbqh, and the result to be garrish and ugly. And I agree (again, as a libertarian) with the idea that while an individual has the absolute rigth to brand themselves if they wish, other individuals have an equal absolute rigth to make judgements about the branded individual as they see fit, as long as no laws are broken or harm inflicted, of course (shouldn;t have to be said, but still).

this was me in my med school days, will never forget the bond I had with my fellow Sigma Sigma Epsillon Delta Psi Triceratops, ah the memories wouldn't trade it for the world

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    this was me in my med school days, will never forget the bond I had with my fellow Sigma Sigma Epsillon Delta Psi Triceratops, ah the memories wouldn't trade it for the world

You missed a spot. I'd get that blank skin between your upper cheek and your eye covered up before someone thinks you look "stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Houston, I get you're a productive and mature person and I apologize for offending you. My post was inflammatory - I just didn't feel like posting my feelings through the sensitivity filter.

Truth is we're all judged on our appearance, what we put out into the world. I'm not going to hire a Goth kid with 6 piercings on his face, most businesses won't. Not because they're bad people but because I think it exhibits a lack of maturity and I don't want that representing a business.

If people elect to decorate their bodies that is certainly their priority - but they have to accept that other people's judgements of what they're displaying to the world are not in their control. There's faulty logic stating that an external display is just for you internally.

I had the same call everyone has to memorialize dead family with a tattoo - I let the urge pass. I realized it would've been not for me but for the world to see my pain, I would've been branding myself a victim. I don't have to get a brand to show my people that they are my people - it's more than skin deep.
    It isn't a scar. Its a "Brand" that the Omega Psi Phi fraternity incorporated members use. They are the first Black fraternity founded at a Historically Black College. Quinton is a member of The Omega Psi Phi FRaternity, incorporated a one hundred year old organization that has members such as UNC's own Vince Carter and Michael Jordan. A fraternity of black men that stand for Manhood,scholarship, perserverance and Uplift. He is an Omega Man. not a que dawg.

From google

Technically, a brand is a scar.

a nasty, nasty scar

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post

Understand now ?
    Here's what YOU don't understand. I went to Syracuse which had a frat that included as part of the initiation the mutilation of the body via branding.

It was my humble opinion then, and contimures today, that brands are ugly, disgusting, a physical affront to the rest of us that have to look at them.

The dudes at Syracuse were merely sheep following the herd, their form of hazing no more or less mature than any other form of hazing at all the other different frats. Because their house had a militaristic view of itself (no, not as in US military, their own "nation's" military) they thought themselves more serious than other frats. The whole get-up, camofloughed pants, sleeveless shirts, berets, marching around to cadences. That somehow their frat was symbolic of something deeper than any of the other 20 frats.

Basically the rest of the student population thought them fools.

But you can out grow some of that frat life stuff--or at least one would hope as we become adults. The brands, you can't outgrow.

Something that I would imagine a large majority now detest 20 or 30 years later.

The fact that one such branded individual is educated, with a Master's Degree, has won "Employee of the Year" and now claims he is "proud" of said brands is irrelevant. Would he get them today? Would he encourage his kids to get them? If he was being honest with himself?

What don't you get? It's all about personal preference, a matter of opinion. Cleat's remarks were a generalization that is probably closer to reality than not--regardless of whether someone now claims to be proud of their self-mutilation.

I think they are disgusting. As would many adults, educated or not. That this guy is educated and now claims to be proud of them is irrelevant.

I'm happy he's proud of his brand, good for him. I'm sure there are plenty of educated folks with 12 gage plugs in their earlobes (is that even a gage?), tats all over their face and neck, piercings all over their nose, lips, eyebrows, etc. are also proud of their body art.

It's not for me. Do whatever you want with your body, just don't try to convinve me that my opinion is wrong, or that somehow because you are educated, your opinion invalidates my opinion.

It's a disgusting form of self-mutilation. Be happy with it.

I think it's gross and the type of thing that got done at MY college by silly kids who thought they were part of some sort of rebellion.

Having said that, I'm a HUGE Coples fan, so anyone that thinks I'm criticizing the Jets or the player, then they're just grasping at straws.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    Not a resume at all just a few accomplishments of a person proud to still have a brand... A response to his ignorant claim that people such as myself who have brands are "bonehead fraternity members" with self doubt later down the line... Last time I checked boneheads weren't labeled as productive people... I don't think its stupid so there is no explanation needed from me... Don't care to change his mind, if that's how he feels that's cool, just didn't like that he spoke out on something he knows nothing about... But, I will say that I'm a fan of body art as I have 1 brand and several tattoos all of which have significant meanings...

jetsfan24:
    Was that the best response you could think of, I thought only kids respond like that...

jstokes:
    Complete loser... All those "degrees" and you still haven't learned how to decrease your ignorance...
    Nice, so I'm a complete loser because it is my opinion that I think branding your body is a form of digusting self-mutilation? Because I saw a hundred sheep in college do this because they were part of some "nation", yet my opinion is wrong? Because you're PROUD of it?

I'm not ignorant, you're trying to convince yourself that self mutulation represents something bigger than what it is, and you are using your education level to somehow convince others that their opinion is wrong. Just because YOU didn't do it because you were once young and stupid doesn't mean thousands of frat guys out there did it BECAUSE they were young and stupid. I saw it at Syracuse.

Brands work for you, be happy. Enjoy them, no one's saying you shouldn't.

They look gross. JMHO.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sogreedy23 View Post
    Not at all. The joke of a first line was to you, rest was a general rant (mainly Stokes' pompous ass that's annoying). I'm just tired of people not supporting this team, bickering over little things. It's like SAR I is now a transmissible disease and everyone is coughing. I've been in defense of Coples because of the trash talk he's received already as a Jet, before even playing a down- just very annoying.

I'll apologize if you thought that was all to you, more of a rant of frustration with this board. Nothing I thought you did or didn't say.
    Did you just compare me to SAR?

Your personal attack has been reported.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Wow - I'd say this thread went south really quick but it didn't start particularly well either.

Edit to add: By saying it went South, I, by no means intended to insult anyone living below the Mason-Dixon line. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Stokes, black slaves were branded for many years in this country before they were thought of as equal. I have a feeling the fact that the nation's first black fraternity uses branding is a bit more symbolic than some Syracuse frat boy tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I'm happy he's proud of his brand, good for him. I'm sure there are plenty of educated folks with 12 gage plugs in their earlobes (is that even a gage?), tats all over their face and neck, piercings all over their nose, lips, eyebrows, etc. are also proud of their body art. _
    Again, people go right from the jump of arm brands to suddenly tattoointg their entire face and body, 12 guage earlobe plugs, etc. Coples has his arms branded. When he wears businesslike work attire they are easily coverable. I have a tattoo on my arm, shoulder blade, and my lower calf. I'm proud of all of them today as I was the day I got them. They're very personal and have alot of meaning to me. I'm personally not a tribal tattoo or armband type of guy, nor am I into brands but it's not my place to judge them or demand that I shouldn't have to see them. My tattoos are all concealed when I work since I work in a professional business environment. If my career didn't require me to cover them up, such as being a football player, then I wouldn't. What Coples has is nothing more blatant or offensive than any guy who has an upper arm tattoo. I just think it's ironic that people are so eager to voice their opinion about someone else making a statement about themselves in any manner at all. Your outward opinions are just as colorful and garish as a tattoo, and sometimes they're ugly too.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    It isn't a scar. Its a "Brand" that the Omega Psi Phi fraternity incorporated members use. They are the first Black fraternity founded at a Historically Black College. Quinton is a member of The Omega Psi Phi FRaternity, incorporated a one hundred year old organization that has members such as UNC's own Vince Carter and Michael Jordan. A fraternity of black men that stand for Manhood,scholarship, perserverance and Uplift. He is an Omega Man. not a que dawg.

From google
    I don't get this quote according to wikipedia "que dawg" is their nickname

Quote Originally Posted by sogreedy23 View Post
    I think he sometimes covers them up with a white piece of cloth tied around his arm while playing. You can sometimes see them in some of his highlight videos on youtube. I don't see why he'd have to get them removed.. Find a hobby so you don't have time to look for information like that on the internet lol enjoy the weather.
    I'm thinking the highlights where they were covered was prolly when they were freshly burned in.

Hall Of Fame
    I have most of my arms covered in tattoos.

Getting an office job was easy...I just wore a long sleeve dress shirt and tie. Now that my boss sees the work I'm capable of, I wear short sleeve concert t-shirts and jeans.

Now....face and neck tattoos ARE dumb. As is ear "gauging". You should ALWAYS have the flexibility of covering them and changing your appearance to match societies interpretation of what a productive, good little cog-in-the-wheel you can be. Being able to change how you look/act to get farther in life is a very valuable ability and will get you much further than being an anti-establishment prick.

Kinda like how my old man taught me about swearing. It's not that by yelling at me, he thought I was not going to swear AT ALL. He taught me that you need the ability to flip your vocabulary like a switch subconsciously...you can swear all you want to your close friends, but if your in a meeting with potential clients...you can't accidentally drop the F-bomb.

Same goes for a man's appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Again, people go right from the jump of arm brands to suddenly tattoointg their entire face and body, 12 guage earlobe plugs, etc. Coples has his arms branded. When he wears businesslike work attire they are easily coverable. I have a tattoo on my arm, shoulder blade, and my lower calf. I'm proud of all of them today as I was the day I got them. They're very personal and have alot of meaning to me. I'm personally not a tribal tattoo or armband type of guy, nor am I into brands but it's not my place to judge them or demand that I shouldn't have to see them. My tattoos are all concealed when I work since I work in a professional business environment. If my career didn't require me to cover them up, such as being a football player, then I wouldn't. What Coples has is nothing more blatant or offensive than any guy who has an upper arm tattoo. I just think it's ironic that people are so eager to voice their opinion about someone else making a statement about themselves in any manner at all. Your outward opinions are just as colorful and garish as a tattoo, and sometimes they're ugly too.
    I have no problem with tattoos, especially for people that are thoughtful and individualistic about what they get, even though they aren't for me. What I think is stupid about the branding, and the other fraternity bs is that it's just young men giving into tribalism, and getting a rush from it, and pretending like it's this big meaningful thing, when in 10 years time it means jack ****. Oh so you just pledged a frat last week, met a bunch of dudes you don't know, now you have this deep unbreakable bond that no one else could possibly understand that you have to wear on your skin forever. It's just silly and fake.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If one of those meat bumps got ripped during a game and was oozing pus/blood, I think that would look about as badazz as anything.

All Pro
    Stokes, black slaves were branded for many years in this country before they were thought of as equal. I have a feeling the fact that the nation's first black fraternity uses branding is a bit more symbolic than some Syracuse frat boy tattoo

--------
    On the surface, branding seems to have more critics than supporters. The practice is not sanctioned or endorsed by any black fraternity or sorority.

“We view branding as a detestable practice and not as an act of exuding pride in the organization,” said Darryl R. Matthews Sr., general president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Matthews added, “Branding and ritual scarification is not a part of our intake process or a part of any procedure to be a member of the fraternity. This act does not accurately reflect the high ideals and principles upon which our organization was founded.”

Colleges across the nation also oppose branding, saying that it falls under the category of hazing. The state of Florida passed a law in 2005 that makes hazing a felony. Last month, two college students were sentenced to prison for two years in the state's first prosecution under the law.

The act of branding in black fraternities usually occurs in one of two ways: at the hands of a professional brander or a fellow fraternity brother, called a “hit man.” The brander uses devices like a coat hanger to brand the skin. Occasionally there are “branding parties,” where more than one person is branded at the same time.

Most people are usually shocked when they first see his brands, Curtis said. “My family thought I was crazy for getting branded, but they all knew that I loved to be different,” he said.

Lawrence Ross Jr., author of "The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities," is also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha. Ross, who resides in Los Angeles, said the culture of branding was “too strong” to be stomped out by critics.

Branding itself has a negative history. It was often used as a form of punishment for criminals. However, fraternity members who choose to brand themselves see it as a positive experience. Some fraternity members who have brands say it is a way to link themselves to their slave ancestors who were also branded.

However, the practice of branding slaves was not common—-in fact, it was illegal in many states after the American Revolution.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    So what is that symbolism, specificly?

What does choosing to engage in the same body modification-for-identification purposes behavioir once forced upon your ethnic ancestors by slave owners who treated them like cattle say about you, exactly?

I must admit, I've never quite understood this rationale. Can you explain it so I can better understand it?

Hall Of Fame
    I was waiting for this response.

Too funny.

Yes, btw, the Syracuse frat is part of that frat.

So...their branding is symbolic of slavery?

HO-LEE CRAP, that is funny.

_